Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 27 Guests

Football Suspended until at least 4th April

This thread currently has 12,924 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
A.l.f.
March 13, 2020, 11:02am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Gutted - but probably the correct decision.  Not sure what i'll do tomorrow afternoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner John
March 13, 2020, 11:08am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +629
Gold Stars: 51
A bit more time for those  with injuries to recover
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 85
Croxton
March 13, 2020, 11:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Exiles meet with Ollie tonight off too . Dave Roberts emailed re reschedule, meanwhile monies to be returned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 85
promotion plaice
March 13, 2020, 11:17am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197

Surely by April the fourth the situation will be worse so it looks like they will have to write off this season.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 11:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from promotion plaice

Surely by April the fourth the situation will be worse so it looks like they will have to write off this season.

Cannot see any reason it would resume on that date.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 85
dicko995
March 13, 2020, 11:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
It says "all ELITE football matches postponed"... so I guess Scunthorpe game still on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 85
Chazzer
March 13, 2020, 11:32am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
I've never seen this happen, even with the SARS virus back in 2002 and the Foot n Mouth outbreaks. This is radical. The schools will have to close also.

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 85
promotion plaice
March 13, 2020, 11:33am

It's going to be boring without football but needs must  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 85
oochiad
March 13, 2020, 11:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 28
They have to close the schools, it’s the only way to slow it down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 11:43am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from oochiad

Maybe later but not yet.
From yesterday:

"Closing schools would also have a major impact on families and could also mean they need to be looked after by grandparents - the most vulnerable of catching coronavirus."

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 85
promotion plaice
March 13, 2020, 11:44am

Quoted from oochiad

Right or wrong but the Government's slant on this at the moment is that a lot of children would then have to be looked after by their grandparents which would put the grandparents at more risk.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 85
GrimRob
March 13, 2020, 11:49am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Good decision. Schools next.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 85
TownSNAFU5
March 13, 2020, 11:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Said on the BBC new this morning that If/when schools shut, then this could be for up to 4 months. To cover the expected peak (and presumably the reduction in cases).

I cannot see matches being rescheduled then, even with the best of intentions now.  If they were played in the summer then this would impact on next season.

Just write-off this season and relegate Stevenage.  Put them out of the heir misery.

Leeds have waited 16 years to get back into the Prem.  another year (at least) won’t make any difference! 😁😁

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2020, 11:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,270
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from Chazzer
I've never seen this happen, even with the SARS virus back in 2002 and the Foot n Mouth outbreaks. This is radical. The schools will have to close also.

You may never have seen it but it happened during the war. Football was suspended from about 1940 to the 45/46 season I think (I could be wrong about the dates).

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 85
Maringer
March 13, 2020, 11:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Rather than try to shut it down completely then have recurrences, they plan to stretch it out so that the peak of cases come in the summer months when there will be less flu and so forth to cope with at the same time:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51865915

Might also give them more of a chance to obtain more oxygen gear for those most adversely affected.

Seems a bit of a gamble to me and I'm not sure it is one which will work, unless they discover that one of the pre-existing retroviral drugs can help.

With the Easter holidays just a couple of weeks away, it would surely make more sense to shut the schools down now and effectively have 4 weeks off/in isolation? Try and stop it dead now then deal with any other outbreaks in the same way as countries such as Singapore/Hong Kong/Taiwan.

Ultimately, we're going to be living under a cloud for many months yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2020, 11:54am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from dicko995
It says "all ELITE football matches postponed"... so I guess Scunthorpe game still on

A low blow, but funny  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 85
Maringer
March 13, 2020, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Can't say that I see any chance of the season finishing, incidentally.

I'm sure the wrangling about promotion/relegation will begin very soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 85
golfer
March 13, 2020, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
If the season is curtailed will we get a refund from the BBC as they will save over a million quid from Linneker and Shearer's wages. Methinks they will still get paid    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 85
Grimbiggs
March 13, 2020, 12:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Sensible option really, ignorance and arrogance has got the UK in this mess, and now we're playing catch up!...... very unlikely that the season will be restarted before June. Do we just refinish the season off in July/ August, have a month off, and begin a new season in October, with Saturday and midweek games to catch up, and abandon all these other mickey mouse cup games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 85
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 13, 2020, 12:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

Right or wrong but the Government's slant on this at the moment is that a lot of children would then have to be looked after by their grandparents which would put the grandparents at more risk.

The Easter hols are due to start in early April so I’d guess they would try to get as close to that as they can. Like you say, somebody has to look after the kids.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 85
Chazzer
March 13, 2020, 12:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from golfer
If the season is curtailed will we get a refund from the BBC as they will save over a million quid from Linneker and Shearer's wages. Methinks they will still get paid    

The BBC is one thing but small businesses are going to be majorly impacted if there are widespread forced closures. I'm a member of a small gym and I'm not going to cancel my subscription if I can afford it. I'd rather continue paying them even if they close for a while, to keep them in business. If everybody cancels their monthly sub, the place will close down and then we won't have one at all in my area.

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 13, 2020, 12:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 117
Well aint that EFFING typical!

A few weeks ago I was told I had won two tickets for the Cambridge match, which gives me a good enough reason to get my sorry @rse back to Grimsby. Ho hum, life goes on...hopefully.

But if theres one good thing that MIGHT come out of this 3 weeks lay off is that all injuries will have hopefully healed and we could be back up to full strength, should matches resume on 04/04....away to Newport!!!

If they dont resume then, and if the virus is still doing the rounds, then even Ollies 'Warm weather camp' may be in doubt if he cant get over to the Continent.

Stay safe people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
marinerdazza
March 13, 2020, 12:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Don't understand the clamour to close the schools. If they do, the NHS and public services will be stuffed. I think it might be time to listen to the experts, rather than demand that Something Must Be Done.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
rancido
March 13, 2020, 12:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Stadium

Maybe later but not yet.
From yesterday:

"Closing schools would also have a major impact on families and could also mean they need to be looked after by grandparents - the most vulnerable of catching coronavirus."

Not only that but how many people with children work for the NHS, GP surgeries and the social care  services? If their children are at home then a lot of those parents will have to be off work to care for them. That would stretch the whole social and medical care systems to beyond their effective limits.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
gaz57
March 13, 2020, 12:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
If matches are played in the warmer weather the gates might go up increasing revenue so the powers that be just might change the timing of the season. Football may never be the same in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
NorthseaMariner
March 13, 2020, 12:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Government advice is, no need for this. So not sure I agree with the need to suspend everything, at least not yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2020, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
I think it really threatens some club's existence because their cashflow will dry up. The likes of Macc and Oldham could be in even deeper sh*t than they are now. There's 5 home games left and we could expect about 4000 people paying about £20 each at each game (take away season ticket money already in the bank). That's a lot of money out of your cashflow and some might not be able to swallow that for 2 months or so.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
Heisenberg
March 13, 2020, 12:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Said on the BBC new this morning that If/when schools shut, then this could be for up to 4 months. To cover the expected peak (and presumably the reduction in cases).

I cannot see matches being rescheduled then, even with the best of intentions now.  If they were played in the summer then this would impact on next season.

Just write-off this season and relegate Stevenage.  Put them out of the heir misery.

Leeds have waited 16 years to get back into the Prem.  another year (at least) won’t make any difference! 😁😁

Can you imagine if they simply make this season null and void?!!  Liverpool's drought NOT over.  Leeds STILL in the Championship.  Bury resubmitted?!!

There's even talk of the EUROs happening without the teams in the playoffs - that would mean Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland all missing out!  Every cloud, I suppose.

I just hope GTFC can deal with the financial blow.  I know there's bigger things to worry about, but that is a concern.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 12:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Well aint that EFFING typical!

A few weeks ago I was told I had won two tickets for the Cambridge match, which gives me a good enough reason to get my sorry @rse back to Grimsby. Ho hum, life goes on...hopefully.

But if theres one good thing that MIGHT come out of this 3 weeks lay off is that all injuries will have hopefully healed and we could be back up to full strength, should matches resume on 04/04....away to Newport!!!

If they dont resume then, and if the virus is still doing the rounds, then even Ollies 'Warm weather camp' may be in doubt if he cant get over to the Continent.

Stay safe people.

Cant see any possibility of that occurring considering the peak is 10-14 weeks away.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
Ipswin
March 13, 2020, 12:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I think it would make more sense to close cinemas and theatres first rather than outdoor sporting events That said of course football matches would almost certainly be postponed in large numbers anyway as players, and therefore squads, get the virus

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 12:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Government advice is, no need for this. So not sure I agree with the need to suspend everything, at least not yet.

The PL will have tried to carry on but with players and staff been affected its just not practicable.
They have suspended for a short time to see if the league can resume-if not they will be hit by massive penalty clauses by the broadcasters if the season is curtailed.
Correct decision-it cannot make a dire situation any worse by suspending large gatherings.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 85
Madeleymariner
March 13, 2020, 12:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Typical I was coming up for the match this weekend aaaarrrggghh   
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 85
NorthseaMariner
March 13, 2020, 1:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

The PL will have tried to carry on but with players and staff been affected its just not practicable.
They have suspended for a short time to see if the league can resume-if not they will be hit by massive penalty clauses by the broadcasters if the season is curtailed.
Correct decision-it cannot make a dire situation any worse by suspending large gatherings.

I don’t disagree with you, only stating the health experts advice, so why invent your own precautions, as this sort of thing creates other problems within our society.
I’m obviously no expert. So we, in my opinion, should follow the experts advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 85
Croxton
March 13, 2020, 1:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33

We need more data on just how much transmission is kid related as opposed to workplaces, public transport, poor hygeine etc. While essential workers, like NHS, can carry on working without childcare stress so be it. If Schools are closed then what happens to indoor play centres and public playgrounds? When my four grandkids come to me I will be avoiding both! They are past the nappy stage so it will be a Swallows and Amazons regime in the Peak District building dens and damming streams. Grandma has reduced immunity after cancer treatment so she will be i/c crafts, cookery and planting seeds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 1:38pm
Champagne Drinker

I don’t disagree with you, only stating the health experts advice, so why invent your own precautions, as this sort of thing creates other problems within our society.
I’m obviously no expert. So we, in my opinion, should follow the experts advice.

Agree.
The PL have postponed the schedule due to the practicalities.
Personally I believe that large gatherings should be halted-not only on medical grounds but to relieve the burden on other services.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 85
diehardmariner
March 13, 2020, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
Government didn't advise to suspend mass activities because there's no medical evidence that it would have an impact.

But what we do know is that even relatively small events like the game that would have gone ahead tomorrow at Blundell Park put a strain on essential services.  You multiply that across everything that's going on and it's clear to see that this is a sensible decision.  How would you feel if a loved one couldn't get the medical attention needed, but a football game went ahead and took some resources away?

Footballers and staff are cropping up all over the place as displaying the virus symptoms, the environment in which they work means they're more likely to pass it onto a peer.  

It's a no-brainer.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 85
mariners1
March 13, 2020, 1:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Ok, ok.  BUT surely they need to take into account that I’ve now got to stay at home with the wife.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 85
cmackenzie4
March 13, 2020, 1:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from mariners1
Ok, ok.  BUT surely they need to take into account that I’ve now got to stay at home with the wife.......

I feel your pain mate.  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 85
Bigdog
March 13, 2020, 1:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner
Government didn't advise to suspend mass activities because there's no medical evidence that it would have an impact.

But what we do know is that even relatively small events like the game that would have gone ahead tomorrow at Blundell Park put a strain on essential services.  You multiply that across everything that's going on and it's clear to see that this is a sensible decision.  How would you feel if a loved one couldn't get the medical attention needed, but a football game went ahead and took some resources away?

Footballers and staff are cropping up all over the place as displaying the virus symptoms, the environment in which they work means they're more likely to pass it onto a peer.  

It's a no-brainer.

Unless supermarkets are closed down, people are prevented from receiving delivered parcels and packaging, workplaces with large workforces are closed, I cannot understand how shutting sporting events down for a few weeks is going to make a blind bit of difference other than a bit of grandstanding. Closing down football for example would account for 0.000000000000000000001% of all human contact. Either put everything on lockdown for a month or carry on as normal wihile taking health precautions. This just seems to be a self inflicted fudge at the moment where, peoples lives are affected, companies are getting obliterated and yet the precautions taken so far will have minimal impact on virus spread in the scheme of things. Came into more close contact with people at my local supermarket this morning than going to half a dozen football matches..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 85
Mariner Timsky
March 13, 2020, 1:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Question - Would this decision have been made if nobody connected to the Prem had been affected by the virus??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 1:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Unless supermarkets are closed down, people are prevented from receiving delivered parcels and packaging, workplaces with large workforces are closed, I cannot understand how shutting sporting events down for a few weeks is going to make a blind bit of difference other than a bit of grandstanding. Closing down football for example would account for 0.000000000000000000001% of all human contact. Either put everything on lockdown for a month or carry on as normal wihile taking health precautions. This just seems to be a self inflicted fudge at the moment where, peoples lives are affected, companies are getting obliterated and yet the precautions taken so far will have minimal impact on virus spread in the scheme of things. Came into more close contact with people at my local supermarket this morning than going to half a dozen football matches..

That's because its not been done on medical grounds.
Its the practicalities of continuing with players and staff been affected & its to reduce the burden of other services which are used at said events.
The government would no doubt have shut those events down in the comings weeks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
Bigdog
March 13, 2020, 2:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

That's because its not been done on medical grounds.
Its the practicalities of continuing with players and staff been affected & its to reduce the burden of other services which are used at said events.
The government would no doubt have shut those events down in the comings weeks.

The EFL said: "This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the government's national efforts in tackling this outbreak."

It is on medical grounds too. Haven't seen anything yet that's going to make any more than 1% difference to the spread of the virus. I'm not saying the government is wrong with its stance at present, and well-intentioned panic measures taken independently by non-governmental bodies aren't going to make a blind bit of difference to contagion and will add to longer lasting devastating effects to the economy and peoples' lives by adding to the panic. We should either be on full lockdown or carry on as normal. Anything in the middle and everyone's a loser..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

The EFL said: "This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the government's national efforts in tackling this outbreak."

It is on medical grounds too. Haven't seen anything yet that's going to make any more than 1% difference to the spread of the virus. I'm not saying the government is wrong with its stance at present, and well-intentioned panic measures taken independently by non-governmental bodies aren't going to make a blind bit of difference to contagion and will add to longer lasting devastating effects to the economy and peoples' lives by adding to the panic. We should either be on full lockdown or carry on as normal. Anything in the middle and everyone's a loser..

The EFL have a responsibility to all those parties.

The government yesterday said:

Mass gatherings
The government believes that banning large gatherings is one of the least effective measures a country can take, reducing the peak of the coronavirus by less than 5%. The virus is just as likely to spread within a smaller group such as those watching football in the pub as it would in a large crowd.

If you watch the experts yesterday it explains about timing of restrictions ie its not all or nothing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
Bigdog
March 13, 2020, 2:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Incorrect.
The government yesterday said:

Mass gatherings
The government believes that banning large gatherings is one of the least effective measures a country can take, reducing the peak of the coronavirus by less than 5%. The virus is just as likely to spread within a smaller group such as those watching football in the pub as it would in a large crowd.

I agree with you re the government's stance and completely get that, but it wasn't what I was getting at. I was quoting the EFL's statement which contradicts the government somewhat. Government advice underlines how ineffectual the cancellation of fixtures will be..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
grimsby pete
March 13, 2020, 2:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Strange  to postpone this weekend games on the day before,

I am watching Cheltenham with about 70,000 + people there,

Tomorrow  Wales v Scotland will be played in front of 70,000 fans,

Yet we can not play in front of 4,800 or so,

Never mind we might go back to the good old days of my youth and play Good Friday , Saturday and Easter Monday.

The only problem then will be the problem will be worse so they will end the season as it stands.

Which will leave several clubs in dire straights and we could have another 3 or 4 going bust.

What are we going to do until next season whenever that might start ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 85
MarinerDevil
March 13, 2020, 2:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,739
Gold Stars: 80
This is simply a practical decision based on the increasingly unmitigated spread between players and staff.  No one can sanction an event with a possible health hazard, whether to the participants or their families and friends.  

Probably a good thing that they've simply shut it down as games played behind closed doors wouldn't have made much difference.  

The real headaches will start with sorting out what happens to players' contracts if we were to attempt to finish the season in the summer; what happens to the transfer window and how clubs are going to be able to pay wages during the next two months.

Crazy times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 13, 2020, 2:28pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 117
The problem is that if the virus is so easily passed on in a variety of ways, touching or coughing or sneezing, then it doesnt matter how many people are in a crowd, 3000 or 70000, there only has to be one person with it and it will be spread further, and then those who have caught it unknowingly will maybe nip to the pub afterwards, or head off home to the wife and kids, and then the kids head off to school next week.......etc etc etc

Best to lock the gate before the horse bolts.

This is when we need some words of wisdom from Ollie in his own inimitable style.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
promotion plaice
March 13, 2020, 2:34pm

Can see a few pubs going under when more people start avoiding public places when the situation gets worse.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
supertown
March 13, 2020, 2:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
Is God a Man U fan ? Anything to stop Liverpool winning the league I guess 😬
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 13, 2020, 2:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
It's a huge mess for football finances. This season will have to be finished one way or another (either by extending season to end of June or by reconvening in July/August and delaying the 2020/21 season. The integrity of the English league system would be irreparably damaged if this season is not completed.

When and under what format the 2020/21 starts is anyone's guess. But it could end up being a shortened season:-

League season reduced to 34 fixtures in EFL and 28 fixtures in Premier League?
Scrap EFL Trophy for the season?
No Premier League clubs in EFL Cup?
No FA Cup replays in any round?
UEFA competitions straight knock-out rather than 2 legs?
Anything to squeeze next season into whatever time they have.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 85
Mariner Timsky
March 13, 2020, 3:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from GollyGTFC
It's a huge mess for football finances. This season will have to be finished one way or another (either by extending season to end of June or by reconvening in July/August and delaying the 2020/21 season. The integrity of the English league system would be irreparably damaged if this season is not completed.

When and under what format the 2020/21 starts is anyone's guess. But it could end up being a shortened season:-

Anything to squeeze next season into whatever time they have

I would like all these to happen anyway!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 13, 2020, 3:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

I would like all these to happen anyway!

Another possibility is for the whole of Europe to shift their season to November to August for seasons 2020/21 & 2021/22 as a 2-year experiment. Euro 2020 could be played August & September after the Olympics. It would fit in with the World Cup in 2022 being November & December. If it doesn't work there could be a shortened 2022/23 season (November to June) followed by returning to traditional calendar for 2023/24. If it does work then that's the new football season.

That might sound a daft suggestion, but games are going to have to be lost at some point.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 85
horsforthmariner
March 13, 2020, 3:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9
There's about 8-10 games left more most clubs realistically that could be done in about 3 and a half weeks although there is the FA cup as well.

You could scrap the EFL cup and the League cup and start the season later. Play more games in Midweek. How many Tuesday games have we had this season - in reality very few.

However since I've got an awful lot of friends who support Leeds and Liverpool I would like to see this season voided. Like the 1939-40 season - it never happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
NorthseaMariner
March 13, 2020, 3:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
If we are all not going to follow government “expert” advice, then why bother having them? Obviously the football world are more qualified, I presume?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
horsforthmariner
March 13, 2020, 3:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
If we are all not going to follow government “expert” advice, then why bother having them? Obviously the football world are more qualified, I presume?

To be fair the Government aren't following experts - theyre allowing the Local Elections to go ahead despite the Electoral Commission telling them not too - MORONS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
NorthseaMariner
March 13, 2020, 3:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from horsforthmariner

To be fair the Government aren't following experts - theyre allowing the Local Elections to go ahead despite the Electoral Commission telling them not too - MORONS

To be fair the Electoral Commission are experts in elections and not medical problems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
Meza
March 13, 2020, 3:54pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Imagine all those at the Cheltenham races.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
Grimbiggs
March 13, 2020, 3:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Anything to squeeze next season into whatever time they have.

Agree with most of these points, with existing season being finished in July/ August, a month off and than the new season starts. Midweek games staggered throughout the week, tues/wed/thurs, every week for the new season. If things have settled down by then I think this is a viable solution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 85
promotion plaice
March 13, 2020, 4:31pm

BREAKING NEWS....

Boris Johnson has postponed the 7 May mayoral and local elections due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
horsforthmariner
March 13, 2020, 4:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker

BREAKING NEWS....

Boris Johnson has postponed the 7 May mayoral and local elections due to the coronavirus outbreak.

About time too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
rancido
March 13, 2020, 4:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from mariners1

.... and even worse, I have to stay in with the Landlady!!!!

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
rancido
March 13, 2020, 4:50pm

Special Brew Drinker

That is complete 100% bollox!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
Ipswin
March 13, 2020, 6:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

I think they've changed their mind on that now just a shame Coronavirus didn't all start before the General Election

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
pen penfras
March 13, 2020, 8:42pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

The precautions aren't about stopping the spread, they're about delaying it. The main factor will be people with symptoms having to isolate until the symptoms are gone. This is the most contagious part of the illness and keeps people away from others and spreading it.

They've already moved past containment and into delay. Containment isn't possible, it's too wide spread already and the suggestions are it's far more widespread than the numbers are suggesting. This is about delaying the peak of the virus away from the NHS busy time, closer towards a vaccine and to protect the most vulnerable whilst the stronger portion of the population build up a herd immunity so the virus will eventually disappear without infecting the vulnerable. The projections on flattening the peak and pushing it out later make a staggering difference to the impact it has on society in terms of physical health.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
GrimRob
March 13, 2020, 9:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
How are the club going to manage finanically during this hiatus? Should we be organising some sort of crowd funding?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 64 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 10:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
How are the club going to manage finanically during this hiatus? Should we be organising some sort of crowd funding?

Presume that's a joke??
Operation virus.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 10:55pm
Champagne Drinker
And Philip Day, director and spokesperson for the Town board, has given his immediate reaction to the breaking news.

He said: “As far as Grimsby Town are concerned, a postponement of matches is preferable to playing behind closed doors because the latter would have a phenomenal financial effect on the club.

“We are a financially sound club which, at times like these, is very, very important.

“There will obviously be implications on cash flow because we won’t have any income in the next three weeks, but we can weather that storm.

“The EFL board are meeting next week so we’ll wait and listen to what they have to say.

“And then the Grimsby Town board will meet and we’ll have some decisions to make, but at the moment we’re a little bit up in the air.

“Hopefully if we can start playing again on April 4, we should be able to finish the season okay – we may just need to extend it for a little while.

“The 2020-21 season is due to start at the beginning of August but that could potentially be put back, so the EFL have got room for manoeuvre assuming we can start again on April 4.

“For people who have bought tickets for our upcoming four games, those tickets are still valid for those matches, but fans also have the option to get a refund for their tickets too.

“Please stick by us, continue to support us, and hopefully we’ll be all systems go and we’ll see you all at Newport County on April 4.”

Can't see any possibility of resuming on that date though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
Poojah
March 13, 2020, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,485
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from GrimRob

It’s naturally a difficult time for crowdfunding, when people’s own finances are so uncertain. I heard it mooted that Premier League clubs should help to cover the shortfall of struggling lower league sides, but given the substantial loss of income they’re about to experience I don’t see them being in the mood for altruism.

That said, I think the issue is bigger than just the last few home games. Technically, are the club expected to refund season ticket money for games that didn’t happen, and if this isn’t over until late summer what impact will it have on cash flow when it comes to new season ticket sales.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any season ticket money back for the lost games (there needs to be an opt out option if the club are obliged to do so). Christ, it ain’t the club’s fault. And I’d probably still tentatively buy a season ticket so long as there was a reasonable proposition of a 20-21 season. Frankly, I’d there isn’t then the world’s shafted in such a significant way that it doesn’t matter anyway.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 85
Heisenberg
March 13, 2020, 11:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Poojah

It’s naturally a difficult time for crowdfunding, when people’s own finances are so uncertain. I heard it mooted that Premier League clubs should help to cover the shortfall of struggling lower league sides, but given the substantial loss of income they’re about to experience I don’t see them being in the mood for altruism.

That said, I think the issue is bigger than just the last few home games. Technically, are the club expected to refund season ticket money for games that didn’t happen, and if this isn’t over until late summer what impact will it have on cash flow when it comes to new season ticket sales.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any season ticket money back for the lost games (there needs to be an opt out option if the club are obliged to do so). Christ, it ain’t the club’s fault. And I’d probably still tentatively buy a season ticket so long as there was a reasonable proposition of a 20-21 season. Frankly, I’d there isn’t then the world’s shafted in such a significant way that it doesn’t matter anyway.

I think you’re right, poojah. Personally I’d pay for a ticket to each of the remaining home games even knowing they won’t take place if it meant keeping the club afloat, but not everyone has the luxury of managing to do the same. I was really looking forward to tomorrow too. I’ll be the first to admit I don’t go to every game, so there’s an even bigger void in my weekend this time. But, there are indeed more important things in life right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
The Yard Dog
March 13, 2020, 11:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,498
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GrimRob

The club will manage, I am more worried about my son, who is 23 and a self-employed joiner, with a pregant girlfriend, max upto his limit on his overdraft. He has slowly been rebuilding his life, doing whatever work he can find, after he tried to end his life, after his ex stopped him from seeing his 4 month old son at the time. The courts still making him jump through hoops, as he tries to get access to his son.

Due to him having a mental breakdown and being a bloke, got no support from any organisation during this difficult time.

We had supported throughout, its been difficult, many a sleepless weekends, not knowing what might happen.

He will not get any money from the Goverment, I just hope he does not have a elapse.

I could not be prouder, how he has got over that difficult period in his life.

Its hard enough being a carer, so GTFC on Saturday, volunteering was my release from the pressures of modern life.

You my fishy friends, contributing on this forum, keep me going.

We need to support each other, through the best football forum in the World.

I look forward to what we might discuss during these non sport weeks.

Keep your chins up, support each other.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
LH
March 13, 2020, 11:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
I put on another thread that it’d be better to buy shares.

Given the time we are through the season and the money that can be earned by clubs in all leagues* around Europe I feel it is best that the current season finishes and if any season is to be disrupted it is 2020/21. There is nothing to say we can’t finish this season in full and then play the Euros followed by a club competition to fill the gap the the next full European season starting in Aug 2021. Or even play two summer seasons up to the WC in 2022.

*appreciate this isn’t worded well but there’s considerable differences between TV money in L1 and L2 let alone Champ to PL. Promotion and relegation up for grabs.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2020, 1:34am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Stadium
And Philip Day, director and spokesperson for the Town board, has given his immediate reaction to the breaking news.

He said: “As far as Grimsby Town are concerned, a postponement of matches is preferable to playing behind closed doors because the latter would have a phenomenal financial effect on the club.

“We are a financially sound club which, at times like these, is very, very important.

“There will obviously be implications on cash flow because we won’t have any income in the next three weeks, but we can weather that storm.

“The EFL board are meeting next week so we’ll wait and listen to what they have to say.

“And then the Grimsby Town board will meet and we’ll have some decisions to make, but at the moment we’re a little bit up in the air.

“Hopefully if we can start playing again on April 4, we should be able to finish the season okay – we may just need to extend it for a little while.

“The 2020-21 season is due to start at the beginning of August but that could potentially be put back, so the EFL have got room for manoeuvre assuming we can start again on April 4.

“For people who have bought tickets for our upcoming four games, those tickets are still valid for those matches, but fans also have the option to get a refund for their tickets too.

“Please stick by us, continue to support us, and hopefully we’ll be all systems go and we’ll see you all at Newport County on April 4.”

Can't see any possibility of resuming on that date though.

Seems like a decent statement. Not said that too often.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
gaz57
March 14, 2020, 1:43am

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimRob

Just a thought wouldn't it be a good idea if  everyone bought their tickets as normal and saved them until the games are played. This would help the club and fans would have something to show for it but still be able to get a refund if they can't make it on the new date. UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2020, 1:44am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

The club will manage, I am more worried about my son, who is 23 and a self-employed joiner, with a pregant girlfriend, max upto his limit on his overdraft. He has slowly been rebuilding his life, doing whatever work he can find, after he tried to end his life, after his ex stopped him from seeing his 4 month old son at the time. The courts still making him jump through hoops, as he tries to get access to his son.

Due to him having a mental breakdown and being a bloke, got no support from any organisation during this difficult time.

We had supported throughout, its been difficult, many a sleepless weekends, not knowing what might happen.

He will not get any money from the Goverment, I just hope he does not have a elapse.

Its hard enough being a carer, so GTFC on Saturday, volunteering was my release from the pressures of modern life.

UTMM

Kids can be a worry sometimes. Not that you’d ever have it any other way. You worry about him. He worries about his. I’m sure he knows you’re behind him, and letting him know how proud you are has got to help.

The cards do seem to be stacked against absent fathers (don’t know how it is for absent mothers - maybe it’s the same).  There should be some teeth behind court orders which give the absent parent access. And you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to enforce it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
aldi_01
March 14, 2020, 8:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Crowdfund? What on earth for? Yes the club, other clubs, will be hit hard but given we’ve seen money going out to individuals and now Day saying we’re apparently financially safe, of any fundraising takes place it should be for those who own businesses which will see considerable losses.

Those on zero hours contracts, those with uncertain jobs, those in cafes, those who work at sporting events etc. Assuming they’ll shut schools at some point, what about those that will incur additional childcare costs.

It’s impossible to crowdfund for anything in this situation really, people just need to be understanding and help each other.

Saturdays will be boring for a few weeks, people will be on edge with the uncertainty but even if this season is abandoned (could cause a small riot for teams in or around playoff and relegation places) surely next season, even if it starts later, can still finish in May, even if UEFA postpone a tournament (again could look silly if this settles in the next few weeks) and play it next year, just throw a few more mid week games in. If you offer teams less opportunities to earn more cash or play additional mid weeks deep down we all know what they’ll choose...

Annoyingly I’ll have to talk to people if I go to the pub this afternoon...best restring the guitar...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
toontown
March 14, 2020, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from The Yard Dog

UTMM

I hadn't thought about these sort of issues, people with mental health problems, you are right that they could be very hard hit by the employment problems this situation raises. and the social distancing measures could make such people feel more isolated. I hope everything works out for your son
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
toontown
March 14, 2020, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,276
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from The Yard Dog

UTMM

I hadn't thought about these sort of issues, people with mental health problems, you are right that they could be very hard hit by the employment problems this situation raises. and the social distancing measures could make such people feel more isolated. I hope everything works out for your son
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
It Bites
March 14, 2020, 7:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,183
Gold Stars: 264

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
Davec
March 14, 2020, 7:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
We need to prepare for the very real possibility of the entire footballing season in the entire country being declared nul and void with no promotions or relegations.

But no matter what decision is made there will be happy and unhappy people.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2020, 8:08pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

Fair comment

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
thornemariner
March 14, 2020, 8:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Poojah

Whilst I'm not a fan of the current Town regime, I wouldn't insist on a refund for unused season ticket vouchers. It isn't the club's fault that games might not get played. I think things may fundamentally change in many parts of our lives and whilst I love my football, it has to take a back seat for the moment whilst we see just how bad things might get. Got lots of rail and various match tickets booked. It doesn't matter if I don't get to use them or have to write money off.

Just come back from a month in Malta on holiday to use up leave. I left three days early yesterday in case a flight ban to the UK was suddenly imposed. It might not be but it was clear from the holiday company I booked with that were no contingency plans. The Maltese govermment is making quick decisions but not letting anyone have prior notice. When nationals of four European countries were suddenly stranded on Wednesday I paid to change my ticket. I really felt for the confused and bewildered who were trapped over there and those arriving confined to rooms for 14 days.

At that point all my frustrations about the disruption to the football season disappeared. I've been watching Brentford's home games when Town are away and the gold dust arrived in the post today. A ticket for the last ever game at Griffin Park. Brentford v Barnsley May 2nd. Very disappointed but I'm at home and that's what matters. I have my insulin supply secure and all the other meds I need. I'm obviously a member of a high risk group and am still trying to shake off respiratory illness probably dating back to January. I was treated with antibiotics in Malta for bronchitis and sinusitis. I get bronchitis every five years or so and the uncontrollable cough is truly terrifying for me. It's not quite fully shifted. The thought of getting COVID 19 whilst still struck with this doesn't bear thinking about.

A fellow Bees friend has diabetes too and is very vulnerable. During this special season at Brentford his outstanding ambition is to survive. He gets to every home and away game and is a fan legend. He's not panicking but just stating what really matters. I share his ambition.

It might be that the new season, if we don't get another wave of this pandemic, starts next spring. It may be that we have to consider football March to November for the future. To be honest I'd like to experiment with that. I love football on a warm summer night or a sunny spring evening.

My life has already been changed by this. I'm much more averse to foreign travel now. It's a century since the Spanish flu and we've been very fortunate to avoid anything of that magnitude since in an era where disease can spread in hours or days rather than months. There probably won't be a surviving tourist industry left in the Med after all this anyway and our airlines may be history too.

I hope the projections are far out but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Hopefully we will all meet safely on the other side. UTM

Private Message
Reply: 80 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2020, 1:01am
Meths Drinker
Wise comments TM. Hope you do make that last game at GP. If not I bet you can shift the ticket no trouble.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 85
thornemariner
March 15, 2020, 10:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Wise comments TM. Hope you do make that last game at GP. If not I bet you can shift the ticket no trouble.

Thanks KM. If its played I'll get there! I retire in a few weeks so won't be hampered by work considerations.

I've been hoping the Bees go up so I can run two STs. I personally hope we finish the season and adjust next season to accommodate it.

I went to see local side Thorne Colliery yesterday afternoon so got a game in!

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 15, 2020, 1:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
I see Wayne Rooney has touted an idea I put up on the Fishy a couple of days ago. Realign the league calendar inline with 2022 World Cup being in November/December.

As things stands...

2019/20: Season in chaos
2020/21: Season likely to be shortened considerably
2021/22: Season likely to be shortened to accommodate early start to following season.
2022/23: Messy season with early start & WC Nov to Dec,
2023/24: Back to normal.

Realistically this season and the next 3 are going to be very messy. November to August anyone?
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 85
Mayaman
March 15, 2020, 2:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
UTM

Tough times for so many people.  Although I like being alone and being independent but now I feel isolated.  My missus has been in Canada looking after her dying Grandmother. I am also moving apartments so that's kind of stressful.  The landlady won't let anybody in the house to help me.  If it weren't for my scouse mate, i'd be struggling.  There's a tweet from a bloke called BigNigeNUFC which made me laugh.  day 1 without football: had to spend time with the missus.and I just found out she no longer works in Woolworths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2020, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I see Wayne Rooney has touted an idea I put up on the Fishy a couple of days ago. Realign the league calendar inline with 2022 World Cup being in November/December.

As things stands...

2019/20: Season in chaos
2020/21: Season likely to be shortened considerably
2021/22: Season likely to be shortened to accommodate early start to following season.
2022/23: Messy season with early start & WC Nov to Dec,
2023/24: Back to normal.

Realistically this season and the next 3 are going to be very messy. November to August anyone?

So Rooney reads the Fishy! That’s very, very surprising for a man like that. Amazing.

I don’t think he could read.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 85
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.