Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 26 Guests

Football Suspended until at least 4th April

This thread currently has 12,859 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
March 13, 2020, 11:27pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
I put on another thread that it’d be better to buy shares.

Given the time we are through the season and the money that can be earned by clubs in all leagues* around Europe I feel it is best that the current season finishes and if any season is to be disrupted it is 2020/21. There is nothing to say we can’t finish this season in full and then play the Euros followed by a club competition to fill the gap the the next full European season starting in Aug 2021. Or even play two summer seasons up to the WC in 2022.

*appreciate this isn’t worded well but there’s considerable differences between TV money in L1 and L2 let alone Champ to PL. Promotion and relegation up for grabs.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2020, 1:34am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Stadium
And Philip Day, director and spokesperson for the Town board, has given his immediate reaction to the breaking news.

He said: “As far as Grimsby Town are concerned, a postponement of matches is preferable to playing behind closed doors because the latter would have a phenomenal financial effect on the club.

“We are a financially sound club which, at times like these, is very, very important.

“There will obviously be implications on cash flow because we won’t have any income in the next three weeks, but we can weather that storm.

“The EFL board are meeting next week so we’ll wait and listen to what they have to say.

“And then the Grimsby Town board will meet and we’ll have some decisions to make, but at the moment we’re a little bit up in the air.

“Hopefully if we can start playing again on April 4, we should be able to finish the season okay – we may just need to extend it for a little while.

“The 2020-21 season is due to start at the beginning of August but that could potentially be put back, so the EFL have got room for manoeuvre assuming we can start again on April 4.

“For people who have bought tickets for our upcoming four games, those tickets are still valid for those matches, but fans also have the option to get a refund for their tickets too.

“Please stick by us, continue to support us, and hopefully we’ll be all systems go and we’ll see you all at Newport County on April 4.”

Can't see any possibility of resuming on that date though.

Seems like a decent statement. Not said that too often.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
gaz57
March 14, 2020, 1:43am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimRob
How are the club going to manage finanically during this hiatus? Should we be organising some sort of crowd funding?

Just a thought wouldn't it be a good idea if  everyone bought their tickets as normal and saved them until the games are played. This would help the club and fans would have something to show for it but still be able to get a refund if they can't make it on the new date. UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2020, 1:44am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

The club will manage, I am more worried about my son, who is 23 and a self-employed joiner, with a pregant girlfriend, max upto his limit on his overdraft. He has slowly been rebuilding his life, doing whatever work he can find, after he tried to end his life, after his ex stopped him from seeing his 4 month old son at the time. The courts still making him jump through hoops, as he tries to get access to his son.

Due to him having a mental breakdown and being a bloke, got no support from any organisation during this difficult time.

We had supported throughout, its been difficult, many a sleepless weekends, not knowing what might happen.

He will not get any money from the Goverment, I just hope he does not have a elapse.

I could not be prouder, how he has got over that difficult period in his life.

Its hard enough being a carer, so GTFC on Saturday, volunteering was my release from the pressures of modern life.

You my fishy friends, contributing on this forum, keep me going.

We need to support each other, through the best football forum in the World.

I look forward to what we might discuss during these non sport weeks.

Keep your chins up, support each other.

UTMM

Kids can be a worry sometimes. Not that you’d ever have it any other way. You worry about him. He worries about his. I’m sure he knows you’re behind him, and letting him know how proud you are has got to help.

The cards do seem to be stacked against absent fathers (don’t know how it is for absent mothers - maybe it’s the same).  There should be some teeth behind court orders which give the absent parent access. And you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to enforce it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
aldi_01
March 14, 2020, 8:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Crowdfund? What on earth for? Yes the club, other clubs, will be hit hard but given we’ve seen money going out to individuals and now Day saying we’re apparently financially safe, of any fundraising takes place it should be for those who own businesses which will see considerable losses.

Those on zero hours contracts, those with uncertain jobs, those in cafes, those who work at sporting events etc. Assuming they’ll shut schools at some point, what about those that will incur additional childcare costs.

It’s impossible to crowdfund for anything in this situation really, people just need to be understanding and help each other.

Saturdays will be boring for a few weeks, people will be on edge with the uncertainty but even if this season is abandoned (could cause a small riot for teams in or around playoff and relegation places) surely next season, even if it starts later, can still finish in May, even if UEFA postpone a tournament (again could look silly if this settles in the next few weeks) and play it next year, just throw a few more mid week games in. If you offer teams less opportunities to earn more cash or play additional mid weeks deep down we all know what they’ll choose...

Annoyingly I’ll have to talk to people if I go to the pub this afternoon...best restring the guitar...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
toontown
March 14, 2020, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from The Yard Dog

The club will manage, I am more worried about my son, who is 23 and a self-employed joiner, with a pregant girlfriend, max upto his limit on his overdraft. He has slowly been rebuilding his life, doing whatever work he can find, after he tried to end his life, after his ex stopped him from seeing his 4 month old son at the time. The courts still making him jump through hoops, as he tries to get access to his son.

Due to him having a mental breakdown and being a bloke, got no support from any organisation during this difficult time.

We had supported throughout, its been difficult, many a sleepless weekends, not knowing what might happen.

He will not get any money from the Goverment, I just hope he does not have a elapse.

Its hard enough being a carer, so GTFC on Saturday, volunteering was my release from the pressures of modern life.

UTMM

I hadn't thought about these sort of issues, people with mental health problems, you are right that they could be very hard hit by the employment problems this situation raises. and the social distancing measures could make such people feel more isolated. I hope everything works out for your son
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
toontown
March 14, 2020, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from The Yard Dog

UTMM

I hadn't thought about these sort of issues, people with mental health problems, you are right that they could be very hard hit by the employment problems this situation raises. and the social distancing measures could make such people feel more isolated. I hope everything works out for your son
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
It Bites
March 14, 2020, 7:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,180
Gold Stars: 259

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
Davec
March 14, 2020, 7:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
We need to prepare for the very real possibility of the entire footballing season in the entire country being declared nul and void with no promotions or relegations.

But no matter what decision is made there will be happy and unhappy people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 14, 2020, 8:08pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

Fair comment

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.