Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Football Suspended until at least 4th April

This thread currently has 12,920 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Chazzer
March 13, 2020, 12:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +90
Quoted from golfer
If the season is curtailed will we get a refund from the BBC as they will save over a million quid from Linneker and Shearer's wages. Methinks they will still get paid    

The BBC is one thing but small businesses are going to be majorly impacted if there are widespread forced closures. I'm a member of a small gym and I'm not going to cancel my subscription if I can afford it. I'd rather continue paying them even if they close for a while, to keep them in business. If everybody cancels their monthly sub, the place will close down and then we won't have one at all in my area.

Smile and give your face a holiday - Jerry Cronin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 13, 2020, 12:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +831
Gold Stars: 117
Well aint that EFFING typical!

A few weeks ago I was told I had won two tickets for the Cambridge match, which gives me a good enough reason to get my sorry @rse back to Grimsby. Ho hum, life goes on...hopefully.

But if theres one good thing that MIGHT come out of this 3 weeks lay off is that all injuries will have hopefully healed and we could be back up to full strength, should matches resume on 04/04....away to Newport!!!

If they dont resume then, and if the virus is still doing the rounds, then even Ollies 'Warm weather camp' may be in doubt if he cant get over to the Continent.

Stay safe people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 85
marinerdazza
March 13, 2020, 12:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,844
Gold Stars: 82
Don't understand the clamour to close the schools. If they do, the NHS and public services will be stuffed. I think it might be time to listen to the experts, rather than demand that Something Must Be Done.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
rancido
March 13, 2020, 12:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Stadium

Maybe later but not yet.
From yesterday:

"Closing schools would also have a major impact on families and could also mean they need to be looked after by grandparents - the most vulnerable of catching coronavirus."

Not only that but how many people with children work for the NHS, GP surgeries and the social care  services? If their children are at home then a lot of those parents will have to be off work to care for them. That would stretch the whole social and medical care systems to beyond their effective limits.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 85
gaz57
March 13, 2020, 12:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
If matches are played in the warmer weather the gates might go up increasing revenue so the powers that be just might change the timing of the season. Football may never be the same in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
NorthseaMariner
March 13, 2020, 12:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Government advice is, no need for this. So not sure I agree with the need to suspend everything, at least not yet.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 85
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2020, 12:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,244
Gold Stars: 295
I think it really threatens some club's existence because their cashflow will dry up. The likes of Macc and Oldham could be in even deeper sh*t than they are now. There's 5 home games left and we could expect about 4000 people paying about £20 each at each game (take away season ticket money already in the bank). That's a lot of money out of your cashflow and some might not be able to swallow that for 2 months or so.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
Heisenberg
March 13, 2020, 12:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,032
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Said on the BBC new this morning that If/when schools shut, then this could be for up to 4 months. To cover the expected peak (and presumably the reduction in cases).

I cannot see matches being rescheduled then, even with the best of intentions now.  If they were played in the summer then this would impact on next season.

Just write-off this season and relegate Stevenage.  Put them out of the heir misery.

Leeds have waited 16 years to get back into the Prem.  another year (at least) won’t make any difference! 😁😁

Can you imagine if they simply make this season null and void?!!  Liverpool's drought NOT over.  Leeds STILL in the Championship.  Bury resubmitted?!!

There's even talk of the EUROs happening without the teams in the playoffs - that would mean Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland all missing out!  Every cloud, I suppose.

I just hope GTFC can deal with the financial blow.  I know there's bigger things to worry about, but that is a concern.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 12:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Well aint that EFFING typical!

A few weeks ago I was told I had won two tickets for the Cambridge match, which gives me a good enough reason to get my sorry @rse back to Grimsby. Ho hum, life goes on...hopefully.

But if theres one good thing that MIGHT come out of this 3 weeks lay off is that all injuries will have hopefully healed and we could be back up to full strength, should matches resume on 04/04....away to Newport!!!

If they dont resume then, and if the virus is still doing the rounds, then even Ollies 'Warm weather camp' may be in doubt if he cant get over to the Continent.

Stay safe people.

Cant see any possibility of that occurring considering the peak is 10-14 weeks away.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
Ipswin
March 13, 2020, 12:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I think it would make more sense to close cinemas and theatres first rather than outdoor sporting events That said of course football matches would almost certainly be postponed in large numbers anyway as players, and therefore squads, get the virus

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.