Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 26 Guests

Football Suspended until at least 4th April

This thread currently has 12,703 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
March 13, 2020, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from mariners1
Ok, ok.  BUT surely they need to take into account that I’ve now got to stay at home with the wife.......

.... and even worse, I have to stay in with the Landlady!!!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
rancido
March 13, 2020, 4:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from horsforthmariner

To be fair the Government aren't following experts - theyre allowing the Local Elections to go ahead despite the Electoral Commission telling them not too - MORONS

That is complete 100% bollox!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 85
Ipswin
March 13, 2020, 6:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from horsforthmariner

To be fair the Government aren't following experts - theyre allowing the Local Elections to go ahead despite the Electoral Commission telling them not too - MORONS

I think they've changed their mind on that now just a shame Coronavirus didn't all start before the General Election

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
pen penfras
March 13, 2020, 8:42pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -141
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

Unless supermarkets are closed down, people are prevented from receiving delivered parcels and packaging, workplaces with large workforces are closed, I cannot understand how shutting sporting events down for a few weeks is going to make a blind bit of difference other than a bit of grandstanding. Closing down football for example would account for 0.000000000000000000001% of all human contact. Either put everything on lockdown for a month or carry on as normal wihile taking health precautions. This just seems to be a self inflicted fudge at the moment where, peoples lives are affected, companies are getting obliterated and yet the precautions taken so far will have minimal impact on virus spread in the scheme of things. Came into more close contact with people at my local supermarket this morning than going to half a dozen football matches..

The precautions aren't about stopping the spread, they're about delaying it. The main factor will be people with symptoms having to isolate until the symptoms are gone. This is the most contagious part of the illness and keeps people away from others and spreading it.

They've already moved past containment and into delay. Containment isn't possible, it's too wide spread already and the suggestions are it's far more widespread than the numbers are suggesting. This is about delaying the peak of the virus away from the NHS busy time, closer towards a vaccine and to protect the most vulnerable whilst the stronger portion of the population build up a herd immunity so the virus will eventually disappear without infecting the vulnerable. The projections on flattening the peak and pushing it out later make a staggering difference to the impact it has on society in terms of physical health.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
GrimRob
March 13, 2020, 9:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
How are the club going to manage finanically during this hiatus? Should we be organising some sort of crowd funding?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 64 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 10:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from GrimRob
How are the club going to manage finanically during this hiatus? Should we be organising some sort of crowd funding?

Presume that's a joke??
Operation virus.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 10:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
And Philip Day, director and spokesperson for the Town board, has given his immediate reaction to the breaking news.

He said: “As far as Grimsby Town are concerned, a postponement of matches is preferable to playing behind closed doors because the latter would have a phenomenal financial effect on the club.

“We are a financially sound club which, at times like these, is very, very important.

“There will obviously be implications on cash flow because we won’t have any income in the next three weeks, but we can weather that storm.

“The EFL board are meeting next week so we’ll wait and listen to what they have to say.

“And then the Grimsby Town board will meet and we’ll have some decisions to make, but at the moment we’re a little bit up in the air.

“Hopefully if we can start playing again on April 4, we should be able to finish the season okay – we may just need to extend it for a little while.

“The 2020-21 season is due to start at the beginning of August but that could potentially be put back, so the EFL have got room for manoeuvre assuming we can start again on April 4.

“For people who have bought tickets for our upcoming four games, those tickets are still valid for those matches, but fans also have the option to get a refund for their tickets too.

“Please stick by us, continue to support us, and hopefully we’ll be all systems go and we’ll see you all at Newport County on April 4.”

Can't see any possibility of resuming on that date though.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
Poojah
March 13, 2020, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from GrimRob

It’s naturally a difficult time for crowdfunding, when people’s own finances are so uncertain. I heard it mooted that Premier League clubs should help to cover the shortfall of struggling lower league sides, but given the substantial loss of income they’re about to experience I don’t see them being in the mood for altruism.

That said, I think the issue is bigger than just the last few home games. Technically, are the club expected to refund season ticket money for games that didn’t happen, and if this isn’t over until late summer what impact will it have on cash flow when it comes to new season ticket sales.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any season ticket money back for the lost games (there needs to be an opt out option if the club are obliged to do so). Christ, it ain’t the club’s fault. And I’d probably still tentatively buy a season ticket so long as there was a reasonable proposition of a 20-21 season. Frankly, I’d there isn’t then the world’s shafted in such a significant way that it doesn’t matter anyway.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 85
Heisenberg
March 13, 2020, 11:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,816
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Poojah

It’s naturally a difficult time for crowdfunding, when people’s own finances are so uncertain. I heard it mooted that Premier League clubs should help to cover the shortfall of struggling lower league sides, but given the substantial loss of income they’re about to experience I don’t see them being in the mood for altruism.

That said, I think the issue is bigger than just the last few home games. Technically, are the club expected to refund season ticket money for games that didn’t happen, and if this isn’t over until late summer what impact will it have on cash flow when it comes to new season ticket sales.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any season ticket money back for the lost games (there needs to be an opt out option if the club are obliged to do so). Christ, it ain’t the club’s fault. And I’d probably still tentatively buy a season ticket so long as there was a reasonable proposition of a 20-21 season. Frankly, I’d there isn’t then the world’s shafted in such a significant way that it doesn’t matter anyway.

I think you’re right, poojah. Personally I’d pay for a ticket to each of the remaining home games even knowing they won’t take place if it meant keeping the club afloat, but not everyone has the luxury of managing to do the same. I was really looking forward to tomorrow too. I’ll be the first to admit I don’t go to every game, so there’s an even bigger void in my weekend this time. But, there are indeed more important things in life right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
The Yard Dog
March 13, 2020, 11:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from GrimRob

The club will manage, I am more worried about my son, who is 23 and a self-employed joiner, with a pregant girlfriend, max upto his limit on his overdraft. He has slowly been rebuilding his life, doing whatever work he can find, after he tried to end his life, after his ex stopped him from seeing his 4 month old son at the time. The courts still making him jump through hoops, as he tries to get access to his son.

Due to him having a mental breakdown and being a bloke, got no support from any organisation during this difficult time.

We had supported throughout, its been difficult, many a sleepless weekends, not knowing what might happen.

He will not get any money from the Goverment, I just hope he does not have a elapse.

I could not be prouder, how he has got over that difficult period in his life.

Its hard enough being a carer, so GTFC on Saturday, volunteering was my release from the pressures of modern life.

You my fishy friends, contributing on this forum, keep me going.

We need to support each other, through the best football forum in the World.

I look forward to what we might discuss during these non sport weeks.

Keep your chins up, support each other.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.