Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

Football Suspended until at least 4th April

This thread currently has 12,921 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 12:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Government advice is, no need for this. So not sure I agree with the need to suspend everything, at least not yet.

The PL will have tried to carry on but with players and staff been affected its just not practicable.
They have suspended for a short time to see if the league can resume-if not they will be hit by massive penalty clauses by the broadcasters if the season is curtailed.
Correct decision-it cannot make a dire situation any worse by suspending large gatherings.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 85
Madeleymariner
March 13, 2020, 12:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Typical I was coming up for the match this weekend aaaarrrggghh   
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 85
NorthseaMariner
March 13, 2020, 1:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Stadium

The PL will have tried to carry on but with players and staff been affected its just not practicable.
They have suspended for a short time to see if the league can resume-if not they will be hit by massive penalty clauses by the broadcasters if the season is curtailed.
Correct decision-it cannot make a dire situation any worse by suspending large gatherings.

I don’t disagree with you, only stating the health experts advice, so why invent your own precautions, as this sort of thing creates other problems within our society.
I’m obviously no expert. So we, in my opinion, should follow the experts advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 85
Croxton
March 13, 2020, 1:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from promotion plaice

Right or wrong but the Government's slant on this at the moment is that a lot of children would then have to be looked after by their grandparents which would put the grandparents at more risk.

We need more data on just how much transmission is kid related as opposed to workplaces, public transport, poor hygeine etc. While essential workers, like NHS, can carry on working without childcare stress so be it. If Schools are closed then what happens to indoor play centres and public playgrounds? When my four grandkids come to me I will be avoiding both! They are past the nappy stage so it will be a Swallows and Amazons regime in the Peak District building dens and damming streams. Grandma has reduced immunity after cancer treatment so she will be i/c crafts, cookery and planting seeds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 85
Stadium
March 13, 2020, 1:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

I don’t disagree with you, only stating the health experts advice, so why invent your own precautions, as this sort of thing creates other problems within our society.
I’m obviously no expert. So we, in my opinion, should follow the experts advice.

Agree.
The PL have postponed the schedule due to the practicalities.
Personally I believe that large gatherings should be halted-not only on medical grounds but to relieve the burden on other services.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 85
diehardmariner
March 13, 2020, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 537
Government didn't advise to suspend mass activities because there's no medical evidence that it would have an impact.

But what we do know is that even relatively small events like the game that would have gone ahead tomorrow at Blundell Park put a strain on essential services.  You multiply that across everything that's going on and it's clear to see that this is a sensible decision.  How would you feel if a loved one couldn't get the medical attention needed, but a football game went ahead and took some resources away?

Footballers and staff are cropping up all over the place as displaying the virus symptoms, the environment in which they work means they're more likely to pass it onto a peer.  

It's a no-brainer.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 85
mariners1
March 13, 2020, 1:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
Ok, ok.  BUT surely they need to take into account that I’ve now got to stay at home with the wife.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 85
cmackenzie4
March 13, 2020, 1:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from mariners1
Ok, ok.  BUT surely they need to take into account that I’ve now got to stay at home with the wife.......

I feel your pain mate.  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 85
Bigdog
March 13, 2020, 1:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner
Government didn't advise to suspend mass activities because there's no medical evidence that it would have an impact.

But what we do know is that even relatively small events like the game that would have gone ahead tomorrow at Blundell Park put a strain on essential services.  You multiply that across everything that's going on and it's clear to see that this is a sensible decision.  How would you feel if a loved one couldn't get the medical attention needed, but a football game went ahead and took some resources away?

Footballers and staff are cropping up all over the place as displaying the virus symptoms, the environment in which they work means they're more likely to pass it onto a peer.  

It's a no-brainer.

Unless supermarkets are closed down, people are prevented from receiving delivered parcels and packaging, workplaces with large workforces are closed, I cannot understand how shutting sporting events down for a few weeks is going to make a blind bit of difference other than a bit of grandstanding. Closing down football for example would account for 0.000000000000000000001% of all human contact. Either put everything on lockdown for a month or carry on as normal wihile taking health precautions. This just seems to be a self inflicted fudge at the moment where, peoples lives are affected, companies are getting obliterated and yet the precautions taken so far will have minimal impact on virus spread in the scheme of things. Came into more close contact with people at my local supermarket this morning than going to half a dozen football matches..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 85
Mariner Timsky
March 13, 2020, 1:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Question - Would this decision have been made if nobody connected to the Prem had been affected by the virus??

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.