Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Football Suspended until at least 4th April

This thread currently has 12,702 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
thornemariner
March 14, 2020, 8:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +596
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Poojah

It’s naturally a difficult time for crowdfunding, when people’s own finances are so uncertain. I heard it mooted that Premier League clubs should help to cover the shortfall of struggling lower league sides, but given the substantial loss of income they’re about to experience I don’t see them being in the mood for altruism.

That said, I think the issue is bigger than just the last few home games. Technically, are the club expected to refund season ticket money for games that didn’t happen, and if this isn’t over until late summer what impact will it have on cash flow when it comes to new season ticket sales.

Personally, I wouldn’t want any season ticket money back for the lost games (there needs to be an opt out option if the club are obliged to do so). Christ, it ain’t the club’s fault. And I’d probably still tentatively buy a season ticket so long as there was a reasonable proposition of a 20-21 season. Frankly, I’d there isn’t then the world’s shafted in such a significant way that it doesn’t matter anyway.

Whilst I'm not a fan of the current Town regime, I wouldn't insist on a refund for unused season ticket vouchers. It isn't the club's fault that games might not get played. I think things may fundamentally change in many parts of our lives and whilst I love my football, it has to take a back seat for the moment whilst we see just how bad things might get. Got lots of rail and various match tickets booked. It doesn't matter if I don't get to use them or have to write money off.

Just come back from a month in Malta on holiday to use up leave. I left three days early yesterday in case a flight ban to the UK was suddenly imposed. It might not be but it was clear from the holiday company I booked with that were no contingency plans. The Maltese govermment is making quick decisions but not letting anyone have prior notice. When nationals of four European countries were suddenly stranded on Wednesday I paid to change my ticket. I really felt for the confused and bewildered who were trapped over there and those arriving confined to rooms for 14 days.

At that point all my frustrations about the disruption to the football season disappeared. I've been watching Brentford's home games when Town are away and the gold dust arrived in the post today. A ticket for the last ever game at Griffin Park. Brentford v Barnsley May 2nd. Very disappointed but I'm at home and that's what matters. I have my insulin supply secure and all the other meds I need. I'm obviously a member of a high risk group and am still trying to shake off respiratory illness probably dating back to January. I was treated with antibiotics in Malta for bronchitis and sinusitis. I get bronchitis every five years or so and the uncontrollable cough is truly terrifying for me. It's not quite fully shifted. The thought of getting COVID 19 whilst still struck with this doesn't bear thinking about.

A fellow Bees friend has diabetes too and is very vulnerable. During this special season at Brentford his outstanding ambition is to survive. He gets to every home and away game and is a fan legend. He's not panicking but just stating what really matters. I share his ambition.

It might be that the new season, if we don't get another wave of this pandemic, starts next spring. It may be that we have to consider football March to November for the future. To be honest I'd like to experiment with that. I love football on a warm summer night or a sunny spring evening.

My life has already been changed by this. I'm much more averse to foreign travel now. It's a century since the Spanish flu and we've been very fortunate to avoid anything of that magnitude since in an era where disease can spread in hours or days rather than months. There probably won't be a surviving tourist industry left in the Med after all this anyway and our airlines may be history too.

I hope the projections are far out but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Hopefully we will all meet safely on the other side. UTM

Private Message
Reply: 80 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2020, 1:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Wise comments TM. Hope you do make that last game at GP. If not I bet you can shift the ticket no trouble.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 85
thornemariner
March 15, 2020, 10:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +596
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Wise comments TM. Hope you do make that last game at GP. If not I bet you can shift the ticket no trouble.

Thanks KM. If its played I'll get there! I retire in a few weeks so won't be hampered by work considerations.

I've been hoping the Bees go up so I can run two STs. I personally hope we finish the season and adjust next season to accommodate it.

I went to see local side Thorne Colliery yesterday afternoon so got a game in!

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 85
GollyGTFC
March 15, 2020, 1:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
I see Wayne Rooney has touted an idea I put up on the Fishy a couple of days ago. Realign the league calendar inline with 2022 World Cup being in November/December.

As things stands...

2019/20: Season in chaos
2020/21: Season likely to be shortened considerably
2021/22: Season likely to be shortened to accommodate early start to following season.
2022/23: Messy season with early start & WC Nov to Dec,
2023/24: Back to normal.

Realistically this season and the next 3 are going to be very messy. November to August anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 83 - 85
Mayaman
March 15, 2020, 2:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
UTM

Tough times for so many people.  Although I like being alone and being independent but now I feel isolated.  My missus has been in Canada looking after her dying Grandmother. I am also moving apartments so that's kind of stressful.  The landlady won't let anybody in the house to help me.  If it weren't for my scouse mate, i'd be struggling.  There's a tweet from a bloke called BigNigeNUFC which made me laugh.  day 1 without football: had to spend time with the missus.and I just found out she no longer works in Woolworths.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 85
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2020, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I see Wayne Rooney has touted an idea I put up on the Fishy a couple of days ago. Realign the league calendar inline with 2022 World Cup being in November/December.

As things stands...

2019/20: Season in chaos
2020/21: Season likely to be shortened considerably
2021/22: Season likely to be shortened to accommodate early start to following season.
2022/23: Messy season with early start & WC Nov to Dec,
2023/24: Back to normal.

Realistically this season and the next 3 are going to be very messy. November to August anyone?

So Rooney reads the Fishy! That’s very, very surprising for a man like that. Amazing.

I don’t think he could read.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Football Suspended until at least 4th April

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.