8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2020, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
More entertainment than Tuesday, absolutely bossed the game till their first goal which was as good as you’ll see in League 2. Positives definitely our increased confidence on the ball, negative being our lack of pace at centre back which certainly was exposed by their second. Vern am and Benson very good but Glennon MotM for me.
Private Message
ginnywings
February 1, 2020, 6:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Entertaining but frustrating. We played very well at times but gave the ball away a lot with poor passes and poor control. At least we can see what is being tried and we now have some good footballers on the pitch. When it gels we will be a very good side.

Clarke is a very clever player, Benson a great prospect but for me Glennon was superb and MOM. A game we could have won but i think a draw was a fair result as FGR are a decent side and played well in patches like we did.

We are now scoring goals but are a bit more open, so conceding more. If we can get the balance right, we can go places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 78
Abdul19
February 1, 2020, 6:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Good to hear Benson's doing well after the horror start to his GTFC career

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 78
Ashby mariner
February 1, 2020, 6:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Agree with people's thoughts especially Glennon man of the match. Far different to the style of play under MJ especially the first 30 minutes. If that's what we are going to on a regular basis then IL be very happy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 78
February 1, 2020, 6:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Entertaining but frustrating. We played very well at times but gave the ball away a lot with poor passes and poor control.

Harsh, the conditions didn’t help, despite the strong winds I thought both sides did well. FGR definitely one of the better sids I’ve seen this season.
Reply: 4 - 78
Madeleymariner
February 1, 2020, 6:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Even though we didn't win it was good to see us scoring goals again last few games, onwards and upwards UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 78
hampshiremariner
February 1, 2020, 6:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,051
Gold Stars: 35
From a distance, I will take a point against FGR who are having a good season. It makes a very refreshing change to read all the positive and optimistic comments from members who know the club and players so well. We are going in the right direction and Stevenage lost again!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 78
LH
February 1, 2020, 6:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
Entertaining game. I think most of us would have been happy with a point at kick off against the league’s best away side. Clarke is a brilliant addition - so good on the ball and looks better than this level at times. Nice to finish with an attacking line up looking to go for the win rather than settle for a draw.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 78
Rick12
February 1, 2020, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Hard working performance for me.No players stood out for me though like Dembele use to .Most recent player in my view that  was a bit special.

Special mention to Bailey.Their player looked quality and scored a great goal albeit on loan from Birmingham.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 78
headingly_mariner
February 1, 2020, 6:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
What an entertaining game. Played some football and scored a great goal. Went today thinking we’d struggle against a good side and came away disappointed we’d not won.

Such a change in ambition from the dreary defensive displays under Jolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 78
NorthseaMariner
February 1, 2020, 6:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
Great to see players comfortable on the ball. As they play together they can only get even better.
Okay, not quite the result we wanted, but still very good to watch, especially compared to what we’ve been watching for so so long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 78
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2020, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Hard working performance for me.No players stood out for me though like Dembele use to .Most recent player in my view that  was a bit special.

Special mention to Bailey.Their player looked quality and scored a great goal albeit on loan from Birmingham.

Dembele didn’t want to be here for any reason other to put himself in the shop window. Only very rarely did he play for anyone other than himself.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 78
moosey_club
February 1, 2020, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
First half once we settled down we looked very good, balls into strikers feet, quick switches of play, overlapping players and some neat football in tight areas, excellent team goal, after that i thought we went a little bit showy , being so in control i thought we just passed for passes sake rather than focussing on threatening the goal but still some nice approach play.
Their goal seemed to rock us and after that we didnt return to the dominant confident side, rest of the half saw us looking a little unsure what to do and the centre halves definatley shying away from the ball, FGR dominant for the last 15 mins of the half.
Second half poor start, back line not up together, Glennon allowed his man to make his run inside and out of nothing 2-1 down. Responded well and Glennon in particular seemd detrmined to make up for their goal and showed great determination to be Johnny on the spot and grab the equaliser, a left back in the opposition six yard line in open play ?!?! superb.

Holloway's speech to the futsal team that was released earlier this week spoke about event + reaction = outcome , Glennon was caught out for their goal, he reacted in the right way and the outcome was the equaliser. Textbook.

After the equaliser i thought the game became a bit disjointed, our subs and positional tweaks disrupted us slightly and despite looking good didnt really threaten the goal enough.

Benson always wanting the ball, Clarke very busy in the hole.   Vernam for me a little too greedy today at times. Felt like points lost rather than a point gained especially with the purple patch in the first half.

Possible penalty on Max Wright at the end ?  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 78
Rodley Mariner
February 1, 2020, 7:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Not everything worked but it's so nice to watch us trying to play a bit and be positive. No way would we have scored either of those goals 3 months ago. No we are going to play some football we could really do with getting the pitch playing a bit better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 78
Hagrid
February 1, 2020, 7:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Hanson again invovled in everything good, subs didnt have much of an impact but things are looking up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 78
Kris2
February 1, 2020, 7:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Didn't have too many expectations coming into it against one of the better and big money sides in the league but it ended up being an entertaining game. Obviously everyone wants a win but I don't mind when we draw if the game was fun to watch and we looked like a team that wants to attack and play football.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 78
Hameln Mariner
February 1, 2020, 7:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +134
Quoted from moosey_club

Possible penalty on Max Wright at the end ?  

Not from where I was in the Pontoon. Would have taken it but it but never a pen for me,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 78
It Bites
February 1, 2020, 7:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,182
Gold Stars: 259
Just seen the highlights. Macca was brilliant
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 78
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 1, 2020, 7:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from 28195

Harsh, the conditions didn’t help, despite the strong winds I thought both sides did well. FGR definitely one of the better sids I’ve seen this season.

Vicious or sexist?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 78
Hagrid
February 1, 2020, 7:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from It Bites
Just seen the highlights. Macca at fault for both goals . First goal his positioning was awful . Second goal , god knows what he was doing. ?

Are you allright?! First brilliant strike second one on one from poor defending
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 78
ginnywings
February 1, 2020, 7:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from It Bites
Just seen the highlights. Macca at fault for both goals . First goal his positioning was awful . Second goal , god knows what he was doing. ?

Was waiting to see the highlights before commenting but I thought he was beaten easily for the second.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 78
It Bites
February 1, 2020, 7:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,182
Gold Stars: 259
Quoted from Hagrid

Are you allright?! First brilliant strike second one on one from poor defending

He dived the wrong way for the second
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 78
TAGG
February 1, 2020, 8:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Thought every player had good game today.
We finally have a direction that all the players are aiming for.
No more of this changing the side to accommodate the team we are playing or squire pegs for round holes.
Playing what are the best 11
Loved the game today, love the positives, love jumping off me seat with excitement, love watching a footballing side and love IH.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 78
February 1, 2020, 8:25pm
Guest User
I don't know if everyone will agree, but I think Waterfall should replace Pollock in the next game.  My reasoning is that the left side of our defence consisting of Glennon and Pollock are both young players who I have noticed are not always in sync with each other, and in particular for there second goal.  Waterfall is a solid centre back who would still be first choice if he hadn't had a 3 match ban, and I believe he should be reinstated asap.  Go ahead and discuss.  
Reply: 23 - 78
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2020, 8:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from 123614
I don't know if everyone will agree, but I think Waterfall should replace Pollock in the next game.  My reasoning is that the left side of our defence consisting of Glennon and Pollock are both young players who I have noticed are not always in sync with each other, and in particular for there second goal.  Waterfall is a solid centre back who would still be first choice if he hadn't had a 3 match ban, and I believe he should be reinstated asap.  Go ahead and discuss.  

I actually thought waterfall should replace Ohman...his passing was woeful and waterfall can ping a better ball from what I've seen of him so far.  All about opinions I suppose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 78
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2020, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 123614

I think our 4 centre backs are pretty much of the same level. Pollock is young but a little slow, Waterfall can be impetuous, Ohman the poorest on the ball and whilst Davis is probably the best footballer, is also most prone to a cockup. Personally, I like Davis and Waterfall as a pairing but it’s too close to call.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 78
TownSNAFU5
February 1, 2020, 8:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
We did well against a good FGR team who have an excellent away record. We need to be as good or better than them next season.   We are still at the transition stage and WIP.

They were slightly quicker than us in thought and deed.  A good example being our long-range freekick which their keeper saved late in the game. Straight away they got a corner and created 2 possible chances.

Both teams looked uncomfortable passing around at the back.

Overall, another good game to watch.  We are more exciting, more positive and have skillful players to entertain us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 78
Maringer
February 1, 2020, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from ginnywings

Was waiting to see the highlights before commenting but I thought he was beaten easily for the second.

I was in line for the shot and it was well-directed. Don't think you could blame him for either goal. He made a very good save with his legs in the second half as well (after we'd been caught on the break from one of our own set pieces yet again!).

Truth be told, I wasn't overly impressed with FGR. They looked a much better team when they gave us that first day drubbing the other year. That said, conditions were obviously much more difficult today and we didn't start with Clifton at wing-back which obviously was going to help.

A belter of a strike for their opener but I thought the defence were a bit too lax with their marking and gave too much space. Pretty much their first attack yet a goal. A pity as we didn't get a second after we took the lead because I thought they were rocking. We missed a couple of opportunities to put them to bed in that ten minutes or so when well-placed.

Good for Glennon to make amends for his error so quickly but I didn't think we really looked like we were going to get a winner after that.

I hear that Buckley was apparently critical of Tilley in his punditry and can understand that. He looks to have a really good touch, plenty of skill, a bit of pace, but he hasn't done anything but roam around aimlessly barely getting involved in his appearances so far. Hopefully a lot more to come from him once he's integrated into the squad. Some players take longer to settle than others.

The positive approach is certainly showing up in the goals for column, but we're extremely open now which has led to the goals against almost matching it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 78
TAGG
February 1, 2020, 8:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I actually thought waterfall should replace Ohman...his passing was woeful and waterfall can ping a better ball from what I've seen of him so far.  All about opinions I suppose

Sorry mate but I dont think any Town player was 'woeful' today.
I do agree that young Matty should be replaced by Waterfall not because hes not been up to it but because we need a bit of pace in there.
Matty has an eye for a pass and is a proper defender but is not the fastest.
Still love the bloke UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 78
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2020, 8:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

I do agree that young Matty should be replaced by Waterfall not because hes not been up to it but because we need a bit of pace in there.
Still love the bloke UTM

TAGG..whilst I agree about Matty and every player put a shift in, again, I was just commenting that Ohmans forward passing was woeful..and it was..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 78
sydney
February 1, 2020, 9:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
I was shouting for them to go on and win the game
And do u know what, we could have done
So much better than shouting at them to give a f@@k
Confidence growing
Benson Superb
They will run through walls for this bloke
Do u know I think we will get a result next week
I’ve come away from BP throughly entertained
Now thats a plus
Come on Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 78
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2020, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Fair result which could have gone either way. Both sides wanted to play football despite the wind and the pitch which I have to say is looking unusually ropey in parts.

I really like the 3 starters from today that IH has brought in. Clarke is a clever player with a great touch, Glennon my MOM seems to back himself and Benson did some really good things today. Then again the starters who IH inherited did well considering their being tasked with adapting to a very different style from the one under Jolley.

All 4 goals where decent and that’s 7 for Town in 3 games which feels like a much better strike rate. We do look leaky at the back but there is enough potential in the back 4 that started today to be really optimistic that it will settle down.

Felt a bit for Clifton and Whitehouse who made a few rickets but have worked really hard all season, IH will improve both of them though for sure.

I think we probably let them back in to it and their 2nd goal we could have done better with but again this is all learning in a season where in reality we have nothing to lose.

So all in all a decent point against a decent team who have invested heavily.

Oh yeah ..... and finally a word for the ref Mr Marsden, there is clearly something very wrong with lower league football that manifests itself in such an amateur officiating in the professional game🤬

UTM!!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 78
chipsandgravy
February 1, 2020, 9:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
It's a simple one for me. I am just enjoying watching Town play again after almost wanting to give up.
I am beginning to see far more endeavour, entertainment and skill.
I am happy for us to take small steps and take the odd slip up when I can see the type of progress we are making.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 78
Poojah
February 1, 2020, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s not perfect, but there are clear signs of a team beginning to play a more attractive, effective brand of football.

There’s a clear strategy and philosophy; short, sharp interplay and no more aimless hoofing into the channels. Let’s not forget that Holloway is working with the basis of a squad that wasn’t built to play that way, so I’m impressed with what he’s achieved in a month.

I thought both Town goals were excellent, the result of great movement and attacking intent. When was the last time you saw our left back tip up on the edge of the six yard box to slot home from open play?

A stark, stark contrast from the football we were playing as recently as December, and the players seem to be benefitting from the experience, confidence and energy Holloway has brought to the club. Exciting times ahead I feel.

One point though, if we do intend to play a passing game out from the back next season then we really need to do something with the pitch. I don’t know if it’s simply a case of the natural degradation of its 19th century drainage system or a reduction in budget, but it’s in nothing like the condition it used to be and at times it seemed to impede our attempts to knock it about.

A word on their 42, Bailey. He looked a terrific prospect and scored an absolutely brilliant goal against the run of play - that shot never looked like it was on from there but you could tell from the moment it left his foot it was going in. One of the few opposition goals I’ve clapped at BP over the years. Only on loan so one to keep note of should he be available in the summer.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 78
TAGG
February 1, 2020, 9:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

TAGG..whilst I agree about Matty and every player put a shift in, again, I was just commenting that Ohmans forward passing was woeful..and it was..

This is the great thing about togger, I thought his forward play was okay you didnt but we are still Town.
Have a great night mate.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 78
Teesknees
February 1, 2020, 9:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from sydney
I was shouting for them to go on and win the game
And do u know what, we could have done
So much better than shouting at them to give a f@@k
Confidence growing
Benson Superb
They will run through walls for this bloke
Do u know I think we will get a result next week
I’ve come away from BP throughly entertained
Now thats a plus
Come on Town

Doesn't even rhyme!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 78
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2020, 9:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

This is the great thing about togger, I thought his forward play was okay you didnt but we are still Town.
Have a great night mate.

Absolutely..and thanks for reminding me of that long lost great word...togger...UTM til I leave this mortal coil...⚽👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2020, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Poojah
Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s not perfect, but there are clear signs of a team beginning to play a more attractive, effective brand of football.

There’s a clear strategy and philosophy; short, sharp interplay and no more aimless hoofing into the channels. Let’s not forget that Holloway is working with the basis of a squad that wasn’t built to play that way, so I’m impressed with what he’s achieved in a month.

I thought both Town goals were excellent, the result of great movement and attacking intent. When was the last time you saw our left back tip up on the edge of the six yard box to slot home from open play?

A stark, stark contrast from the football we were playing as recently as December, and the players seem to be benefitting from the experience, confidence and energy Holloway has brought to the club. Exciting times ahead I feel.

One point though, if we do intend to play a passing game out from the back next season then we really need to do something with the pitch. I don’t know if it’s simply a case of the natural degradation of its 19th century drainage system or a reduction in budget, but it’s in nothing like the condition it used to be and at times it seemed to impede our attempts to knock it about.

A word on their 42, Bailey. He looked a terrific prospect and scored an absolutely brilliant goal against the run of play - that shot never looked like it was on from there but you could tell from the moment it left his foot it was going in. One of the few opposition goals I’ve clapped at BP over the years. Only on loan so one to keep note of should he be available in the summer.

Holloway mentioned the pitch post match. Said he was going to get Fenty to invest in it as he wants to play great football next season and wants a good surface. He says everything with such good humour you just know it will happen as well which is great.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 78
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2020, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Squeaky will be investing in the pitch this summer according to IH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 78
Rick12
February 1, 2020, 10:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Dembele didn’t want to be here for any reason other to put himself in the shop window. Only very rarely did he play for anyone other than himself.
True but the boy did have ability and its nice to see someone with a bit of magic.Having said that yes your right the club needs team players and not individuals.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 78
Rik e B
February 1, 2020, 10:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916

Holloway mentioned the pitch post match. Said he was going to get Fenty to invest in it as he wants to play great football next season and wants a good surface. He says everything with such good humour you just know it will happen as well which is great.

Great news he's taken the words out my mouth almost. If he's our spokesman guiding the clubs direction then it will be done.

Shocking the state its in after we consistently won best pitch award year on year in what is the Championship. Guess it's been a case of finances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 78
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2020, 10:38pm
Vodka Drinker
I got told when the mounds in the box were taken out we didn't put any drainage in.

Gainsborough Trinity's pitch is immaculate, maybe we could pinch their groundsman?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 78
ginnywings
February 1, 2020, 10:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Think the pitch has fallen foul of the exceptional amount of rain over the winter. Its normally a great surface and has been for many years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 78
Numanoid
February 1, 2020, 10:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
Reckon it's because they took the cambers out in the summer, that helped with the drainage. Just a thought!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 78
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2020, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I got told when the mounds in the box were taken out we didn't put any drainage in.

Gainsborough Trinity's pitch is immaculate, maybe we could pinch their groundsman?

Or resurrect Frank Bridge......

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 78
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2020, 11:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Don’t think the pitch condition is due to a lack of investment. It was ‘improved’ in the summer.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 78
LH
February 2, 2020, 12:02am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,458
Gold Stars: 172
Late 2019 was the wettest period of any time of the last 30 years according to a local amateur meteorologist who plays at Laceby Manor GC. Challenging conditions for greenkeepers and groundsmen alike.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 78
aldi_01
February 2, 2020, 12:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Our pitch has been ropey for a while to be fair.

Had the pleasure of playing on it not that long ago and it was ropey at best.

We’ve had an amazing pitch for a while but more recently it has been poor.

Lots of sand on it at the minute...we’ve had a wet winter but it’s looked worse than it ever has.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 78
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2020, 7:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Think the pitch has fallen foul of the exceptional amount of rain over the winter. Its normally a great surface and has been for many years.

Exactly. Mike Phillips has been the groundsman for years, he’s won awards for the pitch and I’m sure that it’s down to the weather not him.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
February 2, 2020, 8:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Exactly. Mike Phillips has been the groundsman for years, he’s won awards for the pitch and I’m sure that it’s down to the weather not him.

Mike Phillips is a great groundsman but keeping any sports turf in top notch condition is an expensive business.

If savings have been made then the turf will deteriorate it is as simple as that.

Premier league and championship pitches are pristine due to the investment in them rain or no rain.

This is another area where extra money will have to be spent.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 78
Grumps
February 2, 2020, 8:40am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Entertaining game with both sides trying to play attacking football. We didn't get it right all the time but that will happen whilst we are in transition. Can see what Olly is doing with the players and how different we are compared to a couple of months ago. The signings that have played look good with Clarke, Glennon and Benson showing good quality. The attendance was good but would like to see a few more through the gate, however, if we keep playing like we have been that will happen. Good things all round.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 78
aldi_01
February 2, 2020, 9:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Don’t think we’ll ever really see gates go up that much. Even when we were pushing for promotion our gates weren’t massive.

Means excrement all anyway, I know you can argue it adds a few more in the coffers but a large crowd isn’t the be all and end all.

Performance wise, it was alright. We tried to knock it about, as did they. We’ve gone from not scoring or letting em in to now doing the opposite. I think yesterday probably told IH that Clifton isn’t the answer in midfield and I wouldn’t surprised to see Tilley start next week.

Clarke looks a good player and defensively we look decent, even though we conceded two...one was a peach so have to hand it to them.

There are positives and I’m sure they’ll keep plugging away. I think, well I hope, IH has an understanding of our weaknesses but also a plan to solve them and I suspect a lot of time and effort will be spent on that.

Onwards to Bradford...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 78
golfer
February 2, 2020, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Speed can be improved with the correct coaching - there are plenty of athletic trainers about who could be used for this purpose. It sounds stupid that a professional footballer could be taught HOW to run but this used to happen and probably still does. If an athlete can improve his speed a professionl footballer can.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 78
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 2, 2020, 10:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from golfer
Speed can be improved with the correct coaching - there are plenty of athletic trainers about who could be used for this purpose. It sounds stupid that a professional footballer could be taught HOW to run but this used to happen and probably still does. If an athlete can improve his speed a professionl footballer can.  

I think the immediate goal is to improve our speed of thought and get the players and ball moving quickly quickly thought it surprising how often we put together good passing and dribbling but going back towards our own keeper! Just need to increase our confidence going forward and see those passes, which are clear sat up in the Upper Findus, zipped through quicker. ForestGreen gave a perfect example second half when about five of them sprinted forward just after being in danger of conceding.

Thought we faded away a bit second half and slightly puzzled by Hanson’s positioning second half as he appeared to pull out to a quite wide position on the right. Tilley looks to have a good touch but seems to eager to impress charging all over and think he needs a start and a set role so we can get a better idea of his quality.

Still think we need more physical presence in midfield but all are putting in a real shift and whilst Clifton gets caught in two minds occasionally you can’t fault his effort and commitment nor does he hide even after making mistakes, so keep going Harry and maybe some of that indecision will evaporate as you get increased experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 78
jamesgtfc
February 2, 2020, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Watching the highlights I thought Whitehouse had a good game, hunting the ball down and continuing to run towards the opposition box. Technically he's not brilliant (although that ball he played in the build up to the Vernam goal looked great) but you need a mix in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 78
rancido
February 2, 2020, 11:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Squeaky will be investing in the pitch this summer according to IH.

JF's new nickname on The Fishy

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 78
devs
February 2, 2020, 12:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Entertaining
Attacking
Positive
Not perfect but I wouldn't expect it to be
Loads of fans around me saying how much they enjoyed the game - great to hear

First time in ages I was really looking forward to going and I love the new philosophy - better to win 4-3 than 1-0 (although we didn't win... obviously)

Whitehouse - big improvement - getting him further forward - he's slow (effects of long term injury no doubt) but quite intelligent passing
Vernam - confident and a threat
Clarke - neat, tidy, classy
Hanson - big threat and we are not just lumping it to him but he is an excellent outlet
Tilley - looks promising - tricky, clever and will get better
Harry - water carrier - that's fine; great energy

Benson - best until last - love his composure; never rushed; always looking to do something positive; PL quality
Can't believe someone on here said he had had 'an awful start' - based on what? 20 mins? FFS!

IH changed things around very quickly
Most teams are built in the image of their manager - and GTFC under IH will be full of spark and life
UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 78
Rodley Mariner
February 2, 2020, 1:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Benson was coming very deep to take the ball off Pollock and Ohman a lot. Clearly wanted to get him on the ball as much as possible. Lovely to see classy footballers like Benson and Clarke in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 78
mariner91
February 2, 2020, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Just rewatched the first goal. What a lovely move. Good movement, quick incisive passing and a clear attacking pattern of play. A world away from where we were under Jolley. More of this please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 78
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2020, 7:02pm
Meths Drinker
Just watched the highlights. Enjoyable stuff. I love the build up to Vernham’s goal.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 78
Mighty_Mariner
February 2, 2020, 9:29pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is how their big number 15 managed to carry on after his clash of heads with Hendrie... I was sat right near it and the lad was absolutely knocked out cold for a fair few seconds... Even tried to stand right back to start he woke up like a boxer would. I thought the rules had changed meaning any loss of consciousness meant a substitution?!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 78
TownSNAFU5
February 2, 2020, 10:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Watching the highlights, I think it said their 2nd goal was scored by a Celtic loanee.  Both goals scored by loan players then?

After our free kick late in the game, we had 5 players trotting back slowly from their penalty area.  They were breaking forward in numbers and nearly scored.  Just an observation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 78
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2020, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Watching the highlights, I think it said their 2nd goal was scored by a Celtic loanee.  Both goals scored by loan players then?

After our free kick late in the game, we had 5 players trotting back slowly from their penalty area.  They were breaking forward in numbers and nearly scored.  Just an observation.

Yeah, I thought that too. Lackadaisical was the word that sprung to mind. Got to see the game out or all the rest of the good work comes to nothing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 78
Rik e B
February 2, 2020, 11:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Hopefully Ollie with have their pants down for that upon reviewing the footage. He's not one to leave stones unturned I'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 78
fishboyUTM
February 3, 2020, 1:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from TAGG

Still love the bloke UTM

Agree we could do with more pace at centre back but I'm staggered your solution is to put Waterfall in there. Waterfall is the slowest player I have ever seen, he has attributes such as aerial dominance, leadership but any sort of pace is not one of his assets! Truth be told, none of our centre backs have pace. They'll just have to drop a few yards deeper than you'd like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 78
Rik e B
February 3, 2020, 2:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Matt Heywood?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 78
fishboyUTM
February 3, 2020, 2:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Rik e B
Matt Heywood?

AKA The Barge, I'll give you that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 78
fishcake63
February 3, 2020, 2:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
only an opinion but for my money waterfall best of the four by a wide margin plus as great leadership skills which play's a huge part in defensive solidarity
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 78
MarshMariner
February 3, 2020, 3:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
Paul Futcher never had any pace, but plenty of positional sense...

Its how you read the game that matters...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 78
Rik e B
February 3, 2020, 4:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
I think the issue is the entire defence not containing a huge amount of pace, especially the centre back positions. In the past we've had a speedy CB to nip in and save a slower one who usually has great positional sense on the rare occasions they get caught out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 78
mimma
February 3, 2020, 6:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
What's Toto doing these days?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 78
Abdul19
February 3, 2020, 6:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Signed for Bolton on loan last month.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 78
golfer
February 3, 2020, 7:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Rik e B
I think the issue is the entire defence not containing a huge amount of pace, especially the centre back positions. In the past we've had a speedy CB to nip in and save a slower one who usually has great positional sense on the rare occasions they get caught out.

Hewitt is the fastest of the defence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 78
NorthseaMariner
February 3, 2020, 7:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
What about the guy signed the other day, he’s supposed to be grease lightning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 78
moosey_club
February 3, 2020, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

Danny Zuko  ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 78
February 3, 2020, 7:52pm
Guest User
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

My persistent impression is that this Ollie character knows what he's doing.
Reply: 75 - 78
NorthseaMariner
February 3, 2020, 7:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Bradley Garmston, never seen him, but by all accounts he’s really rapid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 78
Maringer
February 3, 2020, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Waterfall is plenty fast enough for a lower division stopper. Certainly quicker than Ohman or Pollock, though perhaps not by much. From what I saw, he even passed it around reasonably well in the games before his suspension. Never going to be a ball player, but he's a decent defender.

We are lacking a quick player at the back but none of them are too slow for their positions as it stands. A bit of defensive pace adds something extra but we can get by without it for now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 78
cmackenzie4
February 6, 2020, 11:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from moosey_club

Danny Zuko  ?

great reply, made me laugh that did. 👍

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 78
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.