This thread currently has 14,440 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Grumps
February 2, 2020, 8:40am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Entertaining game with both sides trying to play attacking football. We didn't get it right all the time but that will happen whilst we are in transition. Can see what Olly is doing with the players and how different we are compared to a couple of months ago. The signings that have played look good with Clarke, Glennon and Benson showing good quality. The attendance was good but would like to see a few more through the gate, however, if we keep playing like we have been that will happen. Good things all round.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 78
aldi_01
February 2, 2020, 9:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Don’t think we’ll ever really see gates go up that much. Even when we were pushing for promotion our gates weren’t massive.

Means excrement all anyway, I know you can argue it adds a few more in the coffers but a large crowd isn’t the be all and end all.

Performance wise, it was alright. We tried to knock it about, as did they. We’ve gone from not scoring or letting em in to now doing the opposite. I think yesterday probably told IH that Clifton isn’t the answer in midfield and I wouldn’t surprised to see Tilley start next week.

Clarke looks a good player and defensively we look decent, even though we conceded two...one was a peach so have to hand it to them.

There are positives and I’m sure they’ll keep plugging away. I think, well I hope, IH has an understanding of our weaknesses but also a plan to solve them and I suspect a lot of time and effort will be spent on that.

Onwards to Bradford...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 78
golfer
February 2, 2020, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Speed can be improved with the correct coaching - there are plenty of athletic trainers about who could be used for this purpose. It sounds stupid that a professional footballer could be taught HOW to run but this used to happen and probably still does. If an athlete can improve his speed a professionl footballer can.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 78
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 2, 2020, 10:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from golfer
Speed can be improved with the correct coaching - there are plenty of athletic trainers about who could be used for this purpose. It sounds stupid that a professional footballer could be taught HOW to run but this used to happen and probably still does. If an athlete can improve his speed a professionl footballer can.  

I think the immediate goal is to improve our speed of thought and get the players and ball moving quickly quickly thought it surprising how often we put together good passing and dribbling but going back towards our own keeper! Just need to increase our confidence going forward and see those passes, which are clear sat up in the Upper Findus, zipped through quicker. ForestGreen gave a perfect example second half when about five of them sprinted forward just after being in danger of conceding.

Thought we faded away a bit second half and slightly puzzled by Hanson’s positioning second half as he appeared to pull out to a quite wide position on the right. Tilley looks to have a good touch but seems to eager to impress charging all over and think he needs a start and a set role so we can get a better idea of his quality.

Still think we need more physical presence in midfield but all are putting in a real shift and whilst Clifton gets caught in two minds occasionally you can’t fault his effort and commitment nor does he hide even after making mistakes, so keep going Harry and maybe some of that indecision will evaporate as you get increased experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 78
jamesgtfc
February 2, 2020, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Watching the highlights I thought Whitehouse had a good game, hunting the ball down and continuing to run towards the opposition box. Technically he's not brilliant (although that ball he played in the build up to the Vernam goal looked great) but you need a mix in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 78
rancido
February 2, 2020, 11:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Squeaky will be investing in the pitch this summer according to IH.

JF's new nickname on The Fishy

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 78
devs
February 2, 2020, 12:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
Entertaining
Attacking
Positive
Not perfect but I wouldn't expect it to be
Loads of fans around me saying how much they enjoyed the game - great to hear

First time in ages I was really looking forward to going and I love the new philosophy - better to win 4-3 than 1-0 (although we didn't win... obviously)

Whitehouse - big improvement - getting him further forward - he's slow (effects of long term injury no doubt) but quite intelligent passing
Vernam - confident and a threat
Clarke - neat, tidy, classy
Hanson - big threat and we are not just lumping it to him but he is an excellent outlet
Tilley - looks promising - tricky, clever and will get better
Harry - water carrier - that's fine; great energy

Benson - best until last - love his composure; never rushed; always looking to do something positive; PL quality
Can't believe someone on here said he had had 'an awful start' - based on what? 20 mins? FFS!

IH changed things around very quickly
Most teams are built in the image of their manager - and GTFC under IH will be full of spark and life
UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 78
Rodley Mariner
February 2, 2020, 1:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Benson was coming very deep to take the ball off Pollock and Ohman a lot. Clearly wanted to get him on the ball as much as possible. Lovely to see classy footballers like Benson and Clarke in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 78
mariner91
February 2, 2020, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Just rewatched the first goal. What a lovely move. Good movement, quick incisive passing and a clear attacking pattern of play. A world away from where we were under Jolley. More of this please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 78
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2020, 7:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Just watched the highlights. Enjoyable stuff. I love the build up to Vernham’s goal.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.