Reply: 30 - 78
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2020, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,883
Gold Stars: 227
Fair result which could have gone either way. Both sides wanted to play football despite the wind and the pitch which I have to say is looking unusually ropey in parts.

I really like the 3 starters from today that IH has brought in. Clarke is a clever player with a great touch, Glennon my MOM seems to back himself and Benson did some really good things today. Then again the starters who IH inherited did well considering their being tasked with adapting to a very different style from the one under Jolley.

All 4 goals where decent and that’s 7 for Town in 3 games which feels like a much better strike rate. We do look leaky at the back but there is enough potential in the back 4 that started today to be really optimistic that it will settle down.

Felt a bit for Clifton and Whitehouse who made a few rickets but have worked really hard all season, IH will improve both of them though for sure.

I think we probably let them back in to it and their 2nd goal we could have done better with but again this is all learning in a season where in reality we have nothing to lose.

So all in all a decent point against a decent team who have invested heavily.

Oh yeah ..... and finally a word for the ref Mr Marsden, there is clearly something very wrong with lower league football that manifests itself in such an amateur officiating in the professional game🤬

UTM!!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 78
chipsandgravy
February 1, 2020, 9:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
It's a simple one for me. I am just enjoying watching Town play again after almost wanting to give up.
I am beginning to see far more endeavour, entertainment and skill.
I am happy for us to take small steps and take the odd slip up when I can see the type of progress we are making.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 78
Poojah
February 1, 2020, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s not perfect, but there are clear signs of a team beginning to play a more attractive, effective brand of football.

There’s a clear strategy and philosophy; short, sharp interplay and no more aimless hoofing into the channels. Let’s not forget that Holloway is working with the basis of a squad that wasn’t built to play that way, so I’m impressed with what he’s achieved in a month.

I thought both Town goals were excellent, the result of great movement and attacking intent. When was the last time you saw our left back tip up on the edge of the six yard box to slot home from open play?

A stark, stark contrast from the football we were playing as recently as December, and the players seem to be benefitting from the experience, confidence and energy Holloway has brought to the club. Exciting times ahead I feel.

One point though, if we do intend to play a passing game out from the back next season then we really need to do something with the pitch. I don’t know if it’s simply a case of the natural degradation of its 19th century drainage system or a reduction in budget, but it’s in nothing like the condition it used to be and at times it seemed to impede our attempts to knock it about.

A word on their 42, Bailey. He looked a terrific prospect and scored an absolutely brilliant goal against the run of play - that shot never looked like it was on from there but you could tell from the moment it left his foot it was going in. One of the few opposition goals I’ve clapped at BP over the years. Only on loan so one to keep note of should he be available in the summer.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 78
TAGG
February 1, 2020, 9:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

TAGG..whilst I agree about Matty and every player put a shift in, again, I was just commenting that Ohmans forward passing was woeful..and it was..

This is the great thing about togger, I thought his forward play was okay you didnt but we are still Town.
Have a great night mate.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 78
Teesknees
February 1, 2020, 9:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from sydney
I was shouting for them to go on and win the game
And do u know what, we could have done
So much better than shouting at them to give a f@@k
Confidence growing
Benson Superb
They will run through walls for this bloke
Do u know I think we will get a result next week
I’ve come away from BP throughly entertained
Now thats a plus
Come on Town

Doesn't even rhyme!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 78
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2020, 9:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from TAGG

This is the great thing about togger, I thought his forward play was okay you didnt but we are still Town.
Have a great night mate.

Absolutely..and thanks for reminding me of that long lost great word...togger...UTM til I leave this mortal coil...⚽👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 78
lew chaterleys lover
February 1, 2020, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,659
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Poojah
Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s not perfect, but there are clear signs of a team beginning to play a more attractive, effective brand of football.

There’s a clear strategy and philosophy; short, sharp interplay and no more aimless hoofing into the channels. Let’s not forget that Holloway is working with the basis of a squad that wasn’t built to play that way, so I’m impressed with what he’s achieved in a month.

I thought both Town goals were excellent, the result of great movement and attacking intent. When was the last time you saw our left back tip up on the edge of the six yard box to slot home from open play?

A stark, stark contrast from the football we were playing as recently as December, and the players seem to be benefitting from the experience, confidence and energy Holloway has brought to the club. Exciting times ahead I feel.

One point though, if we do intend to play a passing game out from the back next season then we really need to do something with the pitch. I don’t know if it’s simply a case of the natural degradation of its 19th century drainage system or a reduction in budget, but it’s in nothing like the condition it used to be and at times it seemed to impede our attempts to knock it about.

A word on their 42, Bailey. He looked a terrific prospect and scored an absolutely brilliant goal against the run of play - that shot never looked like it was on from there but you could tell from the moment it left his foot it was going in. One of the few opposition goals I’ve clapped at BP over the years. Only on loan so one to keep note of should he be available in the summer.

Holloway mentioned the pitch post match. Said he was going to get Fenty to invest in it as he wants to play great football next season and wants a good surface. He says everything with such good humour you just know it will happen as well which is great.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 78
jamesgtfc
February 1, 2020, 9:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Squeaky will be investing in the pitch this summer according to IH.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 78
Rick12
February 1, 2020, 10:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Dembele didn’t want to be here for any reason other to put himself in the shop window. Only very rarely did he play for anyone other than himself.
True but the boy did have ability and its nice to see someone with a bit of magic.Having said that yes your right the club needs team players and not individuals.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.