Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 132 Guests

New Manager

This thread currently has 90,158 views. Print
46 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
tanga_the_indestructible
November 28, 2019, 7:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +620
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Rik e B

My memory not all that on this but didn't Chris Hughton have success coming from a lower role within.

Though admittedly examples are rare. But we in the strange position that upon appointment our assistant more English football experience than main man.

As for the players out thing, we always say need to get rid of a bunch but in reality shifting underwhelming performers tends to prove difficult with one or two out usually at best.

Er. George Kerr and Dave Booth  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 240 - 455
lew chaterleys lover
November 28, 2019, 7:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,729
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club
There was a snippet on the radio earlier re JF saying that there has definately been an improvement under AL and he has earnt an extended run, interviews have not been scheduled as yet anyway and the supporters seem to be behind  AL so ...... seems like its his to lose.

i think in between the lines i read "cheapest and simplest option"  

Interviews have not been scheduled yet...

That tells you all you need to know.

18th in the league with a terrible recent run; can't score goals, last gate under 2500 home fans yet absolutely no urgency to talk to potential managers.

Jolley was having a terrible time before he left - surely contingency plans were underway to seek a replacement?

Fenty is having a laugh at our expense.
Private Message
Reply: 241 - 455
November 28, 2019, 7:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from smokey111
Whilst I agree Rik, not sure of many assistants who have replaced their previous boss and gone on to be successful. Get ready for a deluge of examples!!!!!!

I'm in agreement with this in general. But there are exceptions (as you recognize).

Bit hard to bin a guy because 90% of the people given your job-title (which means different roles in different clubs) haven't succeeded.
We need to assess if he's in the minority 10%.

Given the improvement in performances that no-one disputes....why couldn't he be?
Reply: 242 - 455
pen penfras
November 28, 2019, 7:24pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71

Interviews have not been scheduled yet...

That tells you all you need to know.

18th in the league with a terrible recent run; can't score goals, last gate under 2500 home fans yet absolutely no urgency to talk to potential managers.

Jolley was having a terrible time before he left - surely contingency plans were underway to seek a replacement?

Fenty is having a laugh at our expense.

I thought that talking to other candidates before firing the previous one is classed as constructive dismissal and would potentially put us at risk of legal action. I know it goes on all the time, but doesn't make it right...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 243 - 455
lew chaterleys lover
November 28, 2019, 7:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,729
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from pen penfras

I thought that talking to other candidates before firing the previous one is classed as constructive dismissal and would potentially put us at risk of legal action. I know it goes on all the time, but doesn't make it right...

No it doesn't make it right but it is the clubs future at stake. You can draw up in private a shortlist of candidates you would like to talk to in the event your manager leaves, and get a couple of interviews organised within a few days.

Private Message
Reply: 244 - 455
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 28, 2019, 7:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from pen penfras

If he was on a 6 month rolling contract that would be his maximum entitlement however his dismissal came about. By leaving by mutual agreement I would guess they agreed on 3 months pay and MJ avoided the risk of dismissal for gross misconduct or, been exonerated or having his wrists slapped.

Given Tondeur’s twitter it appears MJ was probably as keen to leave as many fans were keen to have him go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 245 - 455
denni266
November 28, 2019, 7:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
So if we are only paying AL now only could any savings be put towards the jan window ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 246 - 455
MuddyWaters
November 28, 2019, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

It's two weeks tomorrow since Jolley went, we've scored one goal at home since August, haven't won a game since September and are playing the league leaders next - it might not bother you that GTFC looks like a rudderless ship (from the very top downwards), but it does me.
Private Message
Reply: 247 - 455
Northbank Mariner
November 28, 2019, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,491
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's two weeks tomorrow since Jolley went, we've scored one goal at home since August, haven't won a game since September and are playing the league leaders next - it might not bother you that GTFC looks like a rudderless ship (from the very top downwards), but it does me.

Yes, whilst I agree with what you say, the one thing I would add is that those games were under Jolley who after a great start completely lost the plot and managed to knack it up...
Given that in 3 games under limbrick there's been a complete change in the way we've played, the chances created and the desire to fight to the end, plus a definite game plan and a formation you can actually see I personally think he's shown he's a worth giving a chance at getting us firing again.
It does seem to be the cheap option but could also turn out to be a master stroke....who knows??..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 248 - 455
Ipswin
November 28, 2019, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Yes, whilst I agree with what you say, the one thing I would add is that those games were under Jolley who after a great start completely lost the plot and managed to knack it up...
Given that in 3 games under limbrick there's been a complete change in the way we've played, the chances created and the desire to fight to the end, plus a definite game plan and a formation you can actually see I personally think he's shown he's a worth giving a chance at getting us firing again.
It does seem to be the cheap option but could also turn out to be a master stroke....who knows??..

John Fenty sounded quite supportive and almost enthusiastic about Limbrick during his speech at todays AGM I thought

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 249 - 455
46 Pages Prev ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.