Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley having his say leaked..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 30 Guests

Jolley having his say leaked..

This thread currently has 28,234 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
November 16, 2019, 11:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,044
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from marinerdazza
Can’t get over how many people are offended by the f word. You’d almost think they’d never heard it in a football context. I think the word is snowflake...

I’m not offended by it at all, but I’m flabbergasted that someone with a degree from Oxford couldn’t string two sentences together without blurting it out over 50 times! It made my own pretty limited vocabulary seem sophisticated.

I’ve lost it before but never resorted to that. I swear all the time, to my detriment, but Jolley has taken it to a whole new level there.

Matt Dean is a gent - if Jolley had spoken to me like that I’d have given him the Sterling treatment around the throat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 135
sonofmadeleymariner
November 16, 2019, 11:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from marinerdazza
Can’t get over how many people are offended by the f word. You’d almost think they’d never heard it in a football context. I think the word is snowflake...

I don't think its as much a matter of the word itself, more about the fact of when he has used it (while representing the club) and the agressive manner of how he used it, we all know the word is widely used in the footballing world its all about context thought isn't it.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 135
marinerdazza
November 16, 2019, 11:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m not offended by it at all, but I’m flabbergasted that someone with a degree from Oxford couldn’t string two sentences together without blurting it out over 50 times! It made my own pretty limited vocabulary seem sophisticated.

I’ve lost it before but never resorted to that. I swear all the time, to my detriment, but Jolley has taken it to a whole new level there.

Matt Dean is a gent - if Jolley had spoken to me like that I’d have given him the Sterling treatment around the throat.

Cambridge.

It was off the record.

I suspect this is par for the course.

Whoever recorded and leaked it is a flipping snake.

I’ve heard far worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 135
marinerdazza
November 16, 2019, 11:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82

I don't think its as much a matter of the word itself, more about the fact of when he has used it (while representing the club) and the agressive manner of how he used it, we all know the word is widely used in the footballing world its all about context thought isn't it.

You think there’s ever been a Town (any football) manager in the last 40 years who has never said the f word in public or at a press meeting?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 135
MarinerDevil
November 16, 2019, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,739
Gold Stars: 80
The use of swear words isn't the problem and those defending or even applauding the 'passionate' outburst are deliberately missing the point.  This was a targeted attack in an attempt to bully a fellow professional.  That this is apparently commonplace tells you everything you need to know about the culture at GTFC and in football generally.  I've worked in that sort of atmosphere before and it shouldn't be acceptable in an industry with a shred of integrity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 135
TownSNAFU5
November 16, 2019, 11:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
We may well have a dire budget.  However, if so, the manager must use the money even more wisely for new players.  Then the playing resources must be used in their right positions etc to maximise the limited investment.

Buying a player that does not improve the team is more costly when on a small budget.

A settled team should also be the aim, not the exception.

The tactics can also make optimum use of the playing resources and individual abilities.

Barring Exeter away and a few other games this season, Jolley has not made the most of the players at his disposal.  Neither has he developed some players as well he he might have done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 135
RichMariner
November 16, 2019, 11:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I was an advocate of Jolley and was disappointed to learn that he had gone. I also swear and am not offended by the coarse language you often hear at a football match.

But, as it's already been pointed out, whether that's off the record or not, it's a pretty awful and disrespectful way to talk to another human being. I didn't hear MD or JT swear in response, and whatever the rights and wrongs of it are, they retained their integrity while MJ lost all of his.

I do share his frustrations and I can see why he said what he said, between the swearing. But if anyone thinks this way of talking is in any way acceptable within a place of work - I don't care if it's sport - then they're living in the dark ages.

We're meant to be creating a more tolerant world where it should be safe for people to be who they really are, and all this tirade does is underline the bullying nature that still exists within football.

I accept there's passion, and frustration, and a lot of emotion involved but, come on, MJ is an educated bloke and can speak perfectly eloquently when he needs to. I really don't think MD and JT are the nasty pieces of work he's making them out to be, and they certainly don't deserve to be spoken to like that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 56 - 135
GrimRob
November 17, 2019, 12:05am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Hope nobody puts a transcript on the swear word filter would blow up.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 135
Badger57
November 17, 2019, 12:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Can't possibly defend M.J's actions here but if his right royal highness can totally reduce a bright, clever, erudite young manager to a mental, raging, incoherent foul mouthed thug in less than 2 years then what chance do we have of getting anybody turning round this poisoned chalice of a football club? None at all I would surmise. Sad times for GTFC. 😭
Really can't wait until you know who felicitations right off for good!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 135
GrimRob
November 17, 2019, 12:09am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I would rather journalists ask difficult questions than just tow the party line.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 135
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley having his say leaked..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.