Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley having his say leaked..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 41 Guests

Jolley having his say leaked..

This thread currently has 28,205 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 17, 2019, 1:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
Having listened to it again am I shocked  -   No

I am surprised hearing it from Jolley who I thought was an intelligent well versed  educated young man.

Did he deserve losing his job over it -  Maybe

More than likely it was due to the uninspiring displays we have had the misfortune to watch this season.

He confused me in what he was trying to achieve this season as he got a better team together than the previous season but then made them worse by playing far too negatively and playing players out of position.

We have not seem the best of most of the players he has brought in by his tactics just look at Moses Ogbu apart from one game he has played him as a winger - he is not a winger.

I could go on and on about certain players I just hope the new man starting with Limbrick play a more attacking formation with players in their best positions.

I just looked up his CV on Wiki Pete.

"In 2015, Jolley gained the League Managers Association Diploma in Football Management, which covered influencing and negotiation, mental toughness and resilience, football finance, diversity, equality and inclusion, sport science and performance analytics and focused on leadership, personal development and wellbeing."

Either they must hand these things out like confetti or not much of the course went in between his ears. He's not that young either at 42, Paul Hurst is 45. He's only young in managing experience, as a person I'd expect more maturity at that age.

What he has done well is clear out some dross and sign some useful players. This squad has potential with a couple of additions, much more potential than the squad he inherited. Like you say, get them playing the right way.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 135
Ipswin
November 17, 2019, 1:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from RichMariner

We've somehow managed to make one of the most intelligent, articulate and educated managers we've ever had sound like absolute gutter trash.

Which he has proved to be, highly articulate - NOT

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 135
Ipswin
November 17, 2019, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from denni266
Well well well. not so jolly Jolley. Seems his fine well spoken words where just like i said 2 tears ago, just that. And i for one was not conned by them, He needs to go back counting kids pocket money as he is no manager.. reasons are ... cannot tell left from right.. does not know a defender from a midfielder  or a striker from a winger. I am suprised that Macca did not get a go at right winger . I was right at the beginning , right in the middle and right at the end and rode the stick i got for it.. Imo he  fluffed his way into a job he could not do , And when things started to show he lost it , Glad he has gone

This, flipping spot flipping on

Private Message
Reply: 112 - 135
Ipswin
November 17, 2019, 2:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinerdazza

Whoever recorded and leaked it is a flipping snake.

Why?

Private Message
Reply: 113 - 135
Tommy
November 17, 2019, 2:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
To be honest I'm a bit surprised that as an intelligent individual, Jolley didn't think that with all the modern technology in 2019, there might be someone in a room full of media people, who would be recording on some form of device.

Also......re:the budget. It will be small no doubt and maybe a bottom half budget, but some of it's still been wasted. Mattie Pollock has been ready for first team football since last season, and while Waterfall is OK, I don't think he was needed. Did Cardwell merit an extension when we had Vernam of similar age already in the squad. Could the wages of those 2 gone on a creative midfield player or a left-sided winger.

League tables dont always finish in the order of the biggest budgets. Good managers are able to use a budget well and then over perform through good management, others don't manage a higher budget very well.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 135
grimsby pete
November 17, 2019, 2:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I have just informed my wife of the leaked tape her reply was,

Whats wrong with that I speak to you every day worse than that.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 135
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 17, 2019, 2:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The GT has decided to run the story now.

"A recording featuring former Grimsby Town manager Michael Jolley angrily blasting Radio Humberside in an expletive-laden rant has emerged on social media – and it may have even played some role in his exit.

Jolley was raging after the 4-0 home defeat against Leyton Orient last month – which turned out to be his penultimate league game in charge.

In the audio recording of the conversation following the game, Jolley can be heard confronting presenter Matt Dean.

As well as hitting out at perceived negativity, Jolley also says ‘Have you seen our fxxxing budget? Have you seen our budget? Do you know where we fxxxing should be?’

BBC Radio Humberside broadcaster David Burns said on Twitter yesterday: ‘Aah, now the secret recording at GTFC seems to have emerged’.  And added  ‘I'm sure there are bigger issues, however I hear it was a big factor in his downfall.’

Jolley and Grimsby Town parted company by mutual agreement on Friday."

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 135
Vance Warner
November 17, 2019, 3:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Bigdog
Jolley's not our manager anymore, so prevaricating on his outburst is pretty pointless looking forward from today. The only thing that remains pertinent from the inappropriate recording of an off the record rant is the fact that another manager has left us bemoaning shortcomings in funding at our club. This time it wasn't a bitter parting shot of a sacked manager, it was a highly frustrated manager while in the job.

Something's got to change. We all talk of players and whether they CDAJATL or not. The same analysis could be levelled at our football club under its present regime. When and what division could we say CDAJATL about GTFC over the past twenty years? Apparently they can muster up the seventh best budget in the Conference while having the best home average attendance. That's where our board CDAJATL. Says it all really. The club as it is run now is out of its depth being a upward looking competitive League Two EFL club. Along with the incompetence, we are also quite a divisive, poisonous, narrow minded, unambitious club at the same time.

It's just a never ending rinse and repeat. It's always everyone else's fault rather than the people who are most accountable at the top. The fallout over the past few years has been worrying as a loyal Town fan, embarrassing and deplorable at times and yet we faithfully cling onto one or two decent performances a season or revel in the relief of leaving the stresses of BP behind on far flung awaydays in decent numbers.

But the worrying trend of recent low home gates is underlined by quoting a fellow Town fan on Twitter..

The thing is, fans drift away from football clubs slowly. Bit by bit, the ties that bind become looser until eventually they slip away entirely. That seems to be the journey many #GTFC fans are on right now. There’s a lot needs fixing, and not just the manager’s job.

This cycle of failure and poison has got to change, the charge sheet is unbelievably long for just one club.. and a takeover with a big broom and fresh ideas to galvanise our fanbase can't come soon enough..

Superb post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 135
Stew0_0
November 17, 2019, 3:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 35
I have a very balanced view on all this......

Seems Jolley finally lost all the patience he's had with Humberside now that he doesn't have to restrain himself anymore with expressing his thoughts.

Although I dont agree with how he's dealt with it in this case, I do agree that Humberside Sport have never had a positive thing to say about Town, in fact I would go as far as saying that David Burns and Gwillum Lloyd are so pro-Hull in football and rugby respectively that they enjoy ridiculing Town. Matt Dean is so bothered about asking the 'pressing' questions and drawing out the negative that he has to ask the question in about 3 different ways if he doesn't get the response he wants, he's an embarassment too.  As much as I like him and with him being a genuine town fan also, I do also believe John Tondeur is at the retirement stage of his career and in his interviews must have a framework of 6/7 questions that he repeats each week and isn't strong enough to ask the questions that town fans need to hear.

Despite embarrassing himself in this case I do feel for Jolley somewhat as, as he points out he didn't get the praise he deserved (from Humberside) for keeping town up when it looked like an impossible task when he took over with a closed transfer window and Slades players apart from Andrew Fox. I myself thought it was miraculous what he did with essentially a dreadful squad.

We are a club in a very difficult geographical position which in itself makes it difficult to attract players here and yet we have, on paper, a reasonable squad of players, that given the correct management, could see us fighting towards the top of the league. This does however need to be settled and played with our best players as often as we can.

I always liked Jolley and am sorry to see him go as thought he was an intelligent guy who had brought us stability, was brave enough to blood our youth players and seemed to have a long term plan to progress the club gradually and try to bring the fans onside with the club.

On the flip side, cracks had started to appear in recent weeks. Signs that tactically we were naive, lacking a plan B from just throwing it forward to Hanson, a lack of leadership in the team, a lack of goals and attacking intent from the midfield, rumours of players wishing to leave as not settled in the area (Davis and Ring) and of course altercations with supporters in the main stand and a constant Jekyll and Hyde form of results, we can see some of the reasons why the club decided to part ways with Jolley.

In conclusion I think the problem here is that the club and Jolley had differing ambitions of where the future was taking us as a club. I remember Jolley's Introduction to the fans when quite surprisingly Marley (I think it was) quoted us as being back in the Championship within 5 years (bonkers) and yet Jolleys plans from each season have been to improve solely on the league position of last season, in fact he has quoted as saying he would like to see us get to 14th this year.  I believe the board have allowed a larger budget this season and I know that town fans certainly expect higher than that league position this season.

I think managing the Mariners is an extremely difficult task for any prospective manager and I hope we can get the next appointment right and try to restore some pride and atmosphere back to the club as certainly the home crowds of late have had little entertainment to shout about in recent weeks.

I would however thanks Michael Jolley for keeping us up and for his hard work from the last 18 months. I trust you will be back in work very soon.

utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 135
toontown
November 17, 2019, 3:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,262
Gold Stars: 70
I think he said one of his targets was to improve on 14th which is the highest we've been since 2006. Might be wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 135
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Jolley having his say leaked..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.