Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women's World Cup Finals
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 433 Guests

Women's World Cup Finals

This thread currently has 35,428 views. Print
31 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Heisenberg
June 14, 2019, 12:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,816
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think it's cool that women are now more into football, but the BBC really are annoying me over it.  They are effectively promoting the tournament as being the equal of the men's game, but it is 100 years behind it, so it's really no comparison.  In a way, it's too late.  

The BBC should just admit that they spend their vast sums of money poorly, and the women's World Cup is one of the few things they can afford.  If the beeb actually stopped funding their many radio stations and paying their presenters too much, then they could afford ALL the England men's games, some live Premier League games, maybe the Champions League, the Cricket World Cup etc., but they're stuck with the women's game as there's nothing left after SKY and BT have taken them.

The women's game will never have the male tribalism built up over 150 years, so it will lack true supporters.  It's good to see it improving, but let's not start thinking it's important to most viewers.

I'd also like to point out some positives (and further negatives) of women's in the game.  I think female officials in the men's game are a positive, and certainly some female tv presenters are top notch (Gaby Logan, for example, and some of the female Sky Sports presenters are better than the men), but female commentators do NOT work - their voices are usually too high pitched!  I'm not being sexist here.  And chucking in token ex-players for the punditry of the men's game, like Alex Scott, really isn't necessary.  It's a bit like the FA insisting that football clubs HAVE to now interview minority applicants - the way I see it is, if they're good enough, then great, but don't give people jobs to tick boxes.  Having a token woman to sit beside Jamie Redknapp to have a balance is just daft, and could actually be seen as a little insulting.

No doubt I'm being a bit too old school for some, here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 300
Rick12
June 14, 2019, 12:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Civvy at last

The prize money (just like the wages) in both mens and womens football will surely be related to the income it generates.  As the womens game get more publicity and increases in popularity I would expect to see a rise in both.  If (and I personally don't see it happening soon) a woman plays professionally for a league, I would sincerely hope she would on a wage equivalent of her male counterparts.  
Cant see it happening and wouldent want to either.Males are stronger than females and performances will reflect that.Think it stems right back to nature where the males go out and hunt and the females look after the children.Look at the olympics for one in ancient Rome.All about proving oneself in who was the fittest/strongest male

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 300
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2019, 4:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rick12
Cant see it happening and wouldent want to either.Males are stronger than females and performances will reflect that.Think it stems right back to nature where the males go out and hunt and the females look after the children.Look at the olympics for one in ancient Rome.All about proving oneself in who was the fittest/strongest male

Don’t go quoting nature in male/female relations. You never know where it might end. Black widow spiders eat the male after sex, so is that what should happen with humans?

Lionesses do most of the hunting. One male gets to mate with most of the females and the others don’t get much chance. You want that to happen (assuming you’re not the alpha male)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 300
Stadium
June 14, 2019, 4:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Tune your wireless to BBC 5 Live - plenty of coverage and 5 Live Sport from 7pm is always a good listen

I'll pass on that thanks.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 300
Stadium
June 14, 2019, 4:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Croxton

Any of this 'free'?   Yes, I know I'm stirring again.

Not free but £4 pm gives you all the sport you need now days.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 300
KingstonMariner
June 14, 2019, 5:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Heisenberg

I think it's cool that women are now more into football, but the BBC really are annoying me over it.  They are effectively promoting the tournament as being the equal of the men's game, but it is 100 years behind it, so it's really no comparison.  In a way, it's too late.  

The BBC should just admit that they spend their vast sums of money poorly, and the women's World Cup is one of the few things they can afford.  If the beeb actually stopped funding their many radio stations and paying their presenters too much, then they could afford ALL the England men's games, some live Premier League games, maybe the Champions League, the Cricket World Cup etc., but they're stuck with the women's game as there's nothing left after SKY and BT have taken them.

The women's game will never have the male tribalism built up over 150 years, so it will lack true supporters.  It's good to see it improving, but let's not start thinking it's important to most viewers.

The BBC would never have the money to bid for the premier league, no matter how much they pay Graham Norton et al.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 300
Heisenberg
June 14, 2019, 5:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The BBC would never have the money to bid for the premier league, no matter how much they pay Graham Norton et al.

True, but a bundle of half a dozen live games a season on terrestrial doesn’t sound an impossibility, and they’d get huge ratings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 300
Abdul19
June 14, 2019, 6:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Heisenberg

Having a token woman to sit beside Jamie Redknapp to have a balance is just daft, and could actually be seen as a little insulting.

No doubt I'm being a bit too old school for some, here.

The main thing that's balanced by her sitting next to Jamie Redknapp is intelligence!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 300
Heisenberg
June 14, 2019, 6:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

The main thing that's balanced by her sitting next to Jamie Redknapp is intelligence!

Ooh, harsh! I just don’t think an ex player from the women’s game can be an authority on the men’s game, and this absolutely works both ways.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 300
Abdul19
June 14, 2019, 7:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Heisenberg

Ooh, harsh! I just don’t think an ex player from the women’s game can be an authority on the men’s game, and this absolutely works both ways.

Couldn't resist!

I think as long as they know their stuff and don't just state the obvious, it doesn't really matter if they're an ex player or not (whether male or female). The journo types who used to do the (bafflingly cancelled) European football show on bt were great.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 300
31 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women's World Cup Finals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.