Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women's World Cup Finals
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 256 Guests

Women's World Cup Finals

This thread currently has 35,662 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Rik e B
June 25, 2019, 7:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Read a fair bit of a few articles Kingston without reading all (or the dates) , tbh not particularly interested just remembered a friend saying about international women getting smashed by low level men in a recent conversation. So quickly looked up without remembering the exact match and cited a few examples. Just seen another - the mighty USA losing 5-2 to Dallas Under 15's in 2017.

Without wanting to appear anti-womens football (I'm not, GTFC ladies for example is a great thing and especially if I had a daughter it would be - great women can have that opportunity now), it just doesn't excite me the same way. It's basically like watching 15 year olds who lack the power from being a man yet, perhaps just with a bit more brains for the more senior players (experience obviously).

It's hard enough to keep up with the mens game with my busy lifestyle and tbh sometimes give up trying, apart from GTFC of course. So for me, I just can't dedicate the time to become a statto or knowledgeable of an entire seperate mass of clubs, players, entities etc and have zero motivation to do so either.

Some people are just football, football, football so happily feast on more and more and fair enough if that's the case for them.

Good on the ladies, it's good their game growing -although (selfishly) I find the chatter about it boring taking up airtime on talksport etc when just want to hear about the mens game I love.

I hear the standard has increased drastically in recent years so good on them, but as for parity on wages with men put the finest ladies in a mens team and see if they can cut it. Chewed up and spat out no doubt.

All that being said if England reach the latter latter stages I may tune in and maybe can be won over a little.

Could a female Pele or Maradona run rings around the men with so much skill the lack of physical attributes matter little? That would be interesting to see if ever such an amazing talent cropped up and I'd happily eat my hat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 300
Rik e B
June 25, 2019, 8:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
But anyway this thread not really for such musings, but instead for those of you who enjoy and appreciate the fayre on offer. 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 300
KingstonMariner
June 25, 2019, 9:57am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Agree on the comparison with boys football Rik for a lot of games. I came into this tournament expecting to be underwhelmed and some games I have been. The best teams are entertaining though IMO. Also completely agree on football over saturation/only being able to cope with so much England/Town disappointment (why I always turn 6 Nations off when England are losing!).

As for wages parity. I think it would be a good idea at the elite level. The men earn far too much 😀

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 300
FishOutOfWater
June 25, 2019, 1:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Agree on the comparison with boys football Rik for a lot of games. I came into this tournament expecting to be underwhelmed and some games I have been. The best teams are entertaining though IMO. Also completely agree on football over saturation/only being able to cope with so much England/Town disappointment (why I always turn 6 Nations off when England are losing!).

As for wages parity. I think it would be a good idea at the elite level. The men earn far too much 😀

The men get paid far too much.... I question whether they earn what they get though  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 153 - 300
grimsby pete
June 25, 2019, 2:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
People who expect the women to be as good as the men are a bit deluded,

When you watch a game of footy it can be enjoyable when you except  the standard they play at,

Whether its the best men in the world down to watching non league,  women or schoolboy teams. I enjoy  just watching the game regardless of the standard.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 300
KingstonMariner
June 25, 2019, 3:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

The men get paid far too much.... I question whether they earn what they get though  

I stand corrected. Like the man in orthopaedic shoes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 300
promotion plaice
June 25, 2019, 3:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

And in the World Cup cricket England are 62 for 4 chasing Australia's 285  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 300
psgmariner
June 25, 2019, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Italy v China a very enjoyable game so far.

Italy have been fantastic. Only weakness seems to be the keeper which seems to be a common theme. I saw a proposal to make the goals smaller for womens' football which could work.

Private Message
Reply: 157 - 300
GrimExile
June 25, 2019, 9:54pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
How the hell that Japanese girl could have got her arm out of the way when the ball is blasted at her from less than 2 yards I will never know. Not only was a penalty then given but she was then yellow carded. If that was a penalty then the laws need changing. I am no referee but surely there has to be some sort of intention regarding handball. Crazy in my view.

Rant over, now for the red crosses!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 300
TownSNAFU5
June 25, 2019, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Japan were outstanding in the second-half,as they were against England.  Feel for them. If they could only take their chances.

The Netherlands were all at sea.  Did not know when and where to move to, and some could not be bothered.  Panicked at times.  Strange.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 300
31 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women's World Cup Finals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.