Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumour Mill
Users Browsing Forum
Baidu Spider and 347 Guests

Rumour Mill

This thread currently has 107,286 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Malta_Mariner_90
June 5, 2019, 10:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from diehardmariner

Who knows.  Does seem funny that we're in for players who I would normally expect us to be priced out for...

I think you can still expect us to be priced out of signing either Devitt or Cook.

The stock of them is high in both cases, they are both late 20's so will be looking to secure a decent contract for a last real payday before they will start dropping down.

No way in hell we would compete with many sides wages wise, Walsall also want a fee for Cook which makes it highly unlikely to happen. Even if we did get an offer accepted I can see it being the same as Angol last summer. We had our bid accepted but he held out for higher wages in L1 with Shrewsbury. Unless Cook loves a stroll along Clee promenade or the fish n chips why would he come here?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 342
marinerdazza
June 5, 2019, 10:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
I'm hoping that someone will correct me, but do we ever announce an interest in a player we're genuinely looking to sign? The first thing anyone usually hears about a Jolley signing is when they've signed. The cynic in me thinks we're just trying to create headlines to pacify fans.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 342
Son of Cod
June 5, 2019, 10:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

I think you can still expect us to be priced out of signing either Devitt or Cook.

The stock of them is high in both cases, they are both late 20's so will be looking to secure a decent contract for a last real payday before they will start dropping down.

No way in hell we would compete with many sides wages wise, Walsall also want a fee for Cook which makes it highly unlikely to happen. Even if we did get an offer accepted I can see it being the same as Angol last summer. We had our bid accepted but he held out for higher wages in L1 with Shrewsbury. Unless Cook loves a stroll along Clee promenade or the fish n chips why would he come here?  

Yep. Strikes me as sloppy reporting from RH/Matt Dean/JT really. "Town are interested in XXXXXXX - however we understand other clubs and wages and a fee might be a stumbling block for a player who banged them in at L1 level last season and is still under contract". No excrement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 342
Northbank Mariner
June 5, 2019, 11:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
[quote=140327]
Yep. Strikes me as sloppy reporting from RH/Matt Dean/JT really. "Town are interested in XXXXXXX - however we understand other clubs and wages and a fee might be a stumbling block for a player who banged them in at L1 level last season and is still under contract". No excrement Sherlock

Edited for you😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 342
chaos33
June 5, 2019, 11:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
I suspect, when RH use the term “we understand” (implying they’ve spoken to the club), what they actually mean most of the time is ‘we presume’ or ‘we’ve heard and have put 2 and 2 together’.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 342
Maringer
June 5, 2019, 11:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,504
Gold Stars: 185
Cook has a good goalscoring record since leaving us but, skimming through that Walsall thread, it doesn't seem that he's changed much as a character. I'd be surprised if he returned given that he was obviously unhappy during his last spell with us. Not sure I'd welcome him as a signing if we had to pay much of a fee but would hope that things would click second time around if he does come. It might be that a player such as Devitt (if he were to sign) would be just the sort of player that Cook needs to be playing alongside.

I'd be surprised if either was join us, truth be told.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 342
1mickylyons
June 5, 2019, 11:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
I thought when we had Cook here he was a far better option than Brodie for example but Brodie had the reputation for being a goalscorer and seemed to get the game time. I wasn`t suprised Cook left but I was disapointed because I thought he was better than we had seen of him . Personally at 28 I would love to see him back a right handful for defenders,good in the air and scores goals he and Vernam would be a good pairing.I still think it unlikely Town would win his signature but stranger things have happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 342
Bigdog
June 5, 2019, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer
Cook has a good goalscoring record since leaving us but, skimming through that Walsall thread, it doesn't seem that he's changed much as a character. I'd be surprised if he returned given that he was obviously unhappy during his last spell with us. Not sure I'd welcome him as a signing if we had to pay much of a fee but would hope that things would click second time around if he does come. It might be that a player such as Devitt (if he were to sign) would be just the sort of player that Cook needs to be playing alongside.

I'd be surprised if either was join us, truth be told.

Tbh Maringer, I'm not a big fan of Cook and don't think he's worth investing in at the top end of our budget.. Devitt, I like, and would be worth the money..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 342
Jarmo.Is.God
June 5, 2019, 12:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
For me, someone like Devitt is more important than Cook, but would 100% take both.

Just still confident in Vernam being able to score, should he be provided the chances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 342
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 5, 2019, 12:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from marinerdazza
I'm hoping that someone will correct me, but do we ever announce an interest in a player we're genuinely looking to sign? The first thing anyone usually hears about a Jolley signing is when they've signed. The cynic in me thinks we're just trying to create headlines to pacify fans.

Quite so, somebody has realised it is better for fans to talk about something that will never happen than to not have something to talk about.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 342
35 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumour Mill

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.