Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumour Mill
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 274 Guests

Rumour Mill

This thread currently has 107,227 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
June 5, 2019, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35

I agree, no chance. Just about sums us up as a club now. We can’t sign players on the way up and we can’t sign them on the way down either. We either sign them before they even start to go up or we just have to wait until they hit rock bottom.

Dont think you can class Devitt and Cook as players on the way down. Cook scored 18 goals in a poor league 1 club and Devitt was close to getting Carlisle into the league 2 playoffs. Not actually sure why either of these players are available. Either way i cant see us signing either by a mixture of wage demands, location and their personal ambitions to play higher than a mid table league 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 342
lew chaterleys lover
June 5, 2019, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Davec
We've got no chance of signing Andy Cook or Jamie Devitt, no chance at all.

Funny that - I am sure we signed them before.

You are probably right, but they are league 2 players. Not exactly setting our sights too high to get rejected.

I was a big Cook fan when he was here - at least in his first season. He used to hang in the air to win headers, and has a good eye for goal. A proper centre forward.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 342
Davec
June 5, 2019, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42

Funny that - I am sure we signed them before.

You are probably right, but they are league 2 players. Not exactly setting our sights too high to get rejected.

I was a big Cook fan when he was here - at least in his first season. He used to hang in the air to win headers, and has a good eye for goal. A proper centre forward.

Oh so because we've signed them before we will sign them again?

Cook signed from a part time Barrow, so we at the time was a step up, we aren't going to be a step up now for him when he's at Walsall are we, Devitt was an unknown when he signed last time, not an unknown now is he and had an excellent campaign last season... they are both now out of our range.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 342
louth_in_the_south
June 5, 2019, 8:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from forza ivano

So Matt green looks like a nailed on signing then? 32, released by div 2 club mid sesson, drops into non league, can't even get into Salford city's  eleven on a regular basis, not wanted by them as they've now reached our level ,and so becomes a number 1 target.a Salford city reject ffs.

Not that I rate Matt green really but Salford did sign that Rooney lad from Aberdeen and were paying him 4K a week so not really surprising he didn’t start much .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 342
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 5, 2019, 10:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Stew0_0

Dont think you can class Devitt and Cook as players on the way down. Cook scored 18 goals in a poor league 1 club and Devitt was close to getting Carlisle into the league 2 playoffs. Not actually sure why either of these players are available. Either way i cant see us signing either by a mixture of wage demands, location and their personal ambitions to play higher than a mid table league 2

Well that figures doesn’t it? If we can’t sign them on the way up or down we certainly won’t be able to sign them in the middle of a career.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 342
Son of Cod
June 6, 2019, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from forza ivano

So Matt green looks like a nailed on signing then? 32, released by div 2 club mid sesson, drops into non league, can't even get into Salford city's  eleven on a regular basis, not wanted by them as they've now reached our level ,and so becomes a number 1 target.a Salford city reject ffs.

Wasn't released by Lincoln, Salford bought him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 342
lew chaterleys lover
June 6, 2019, 9:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,661
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Davec

Oh so because we've signed them before we will sign them again?

Cook signed from a part time Barrow, so we at the time was a step up, we aren't going to be a step up now for him when he's at Walsall are we, Devitt was an unknown when he signed last time, not an unknown now is he and had an excellent campaign last season... they are both now out of our range.

If we have got "no chance, no chance at all" of signing league 2 players, who have already signed for us once, who would you suggest we try to sign?

Would players three divisions below be any good, or would they be out of our reach too?
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 342
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 6, 2019, 11:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

If we have got "no chance, no chance at all" of signing league 2 players, who have already signed for us once, who would you suggest we try to sign?

Would players three divisions below be any good, or would they be out of our reach too?

Might as well.

National League players would definitely be too expensive.

I think we are sitting tight and waiting for a favourable exchange rate with the krona.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 342
nealeardleyscrossing
June 6, 2019, 11:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -323
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Son of Cod

Wasn't released by Lincoln, Salford bought him.

We sold him because he could barely get in our side, and I imagine was a costly addition to have on the bench - Plus we got a reasonable price, plus a bonus for them getting promoted. That said I really liked him as  a player - Needs too many chances to score but that's hwy he is at League 2 level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 342
June 6, 2019, 12:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Not that I rate Matt green really but Salford did sign that Rooney lad from Aberdeen and were paying him 4K a week so not really surprising he didn’t start much .

Agree, being kept out of the side by Rooney who is a top end of 2 player if not league 1, is hardly shameful... From what I've seen of him I always liked him, fast, strong think he could do a job for us, and is a realistic signing- been based in the area with Mansfield and Lincoln, and we could afford his wages too I'd imagine. I'd be willing to hold my judgment on any player until I've seen them play for us... Padraig Amond was hardly ripping it up before he came, and we'd all have him back in a flash! Of course there are players I'd rather see come in than Green, but regardless of what you think of Jolley's football, he's obviously going to try and get the best players we can afford... He knows the league now, and what sort of players are effective, I'll judge his signings this season far more than last as it was an unknown entity in many ways... I've got a feeling we might see some much better signings this season, and the lack of activity so far isn't really a bad sign, I'd sooner we brought in the right person than rushed a 50:50 just to appease the fans.
Reply: 149 - 342
35 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rumour Mill

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.