Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Name your price..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 262 Guests

Name your price..

This thread currently has 8,774 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
SomeSanity
May 1, 2019, 12:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Mariners Trust don’t really offer anything at the moment.

The seat on the board is about as much use as chocolate teapot. Yes one man one vote but when everyone votes the same way as one person regardless of anything else.

Fenty is a smart man.. having the trust and their seat essentially silences them. Because they won’t want to anything to upset the apple cart.

If the trust are in that position and unable to do anything, does this make them part of the problem?
Joining the trust board appealed to me once upon a time, but it looks clear to me that my views on GTFC are drastically different to the establishment and their stable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
MuddyWaters
May 1, 2019, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Exactly this and worryingly ALL the MT laughed along as if The Fishy brigade are nothing but trouble I think these folk are generally described on here Happy Clappers . Whilst a degree of truth in that they should also realise perhaps the reason for all the agrro stemming from The Fishy is YES that`s where a huge hardcore of the Club`s most vociferous and critical fan`s hang out  BUT only because they care deeply about GTFC. Mr Fenty, shutup and co won`t like us because they can`t control what we think or write but clearly they feel the need to come on here and sift through posts to gauge the mood . Now why is that? I would think because this is THE place where you get a good cross section of supporters views . The balance of posts at times is a bit of a nightmare but on the odd occassion we have some positivity that`s also reflected in the posts  here .

As I stated to Pen Penfras on the 10 years ago thread, I don’t consider JF to be either evil, selfish or a shithouse. However, that doesn’t mean I consider the club to be either successful or well-run.

To me, there’s a plethora of supporters whose opinions are well worth listening to and only have the best of intentions for GTFC. Ignoring them or using disparaging terms to describe them only alienates them still further. Surrounding yourself with acolytes is only a short term fix to what is a long term problem.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
May 1, 2019, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from SomeSanity
Mariners Trust don’t really offer anything at the moment.

The seat on the board is about as much use as chocolate teapot. Yes one man one vote but when everyone votes the same way as one person regardless of anything else.

Fenty is a smart man.. having the trust and their seat essentially silences them. Because they won’t want to anything to upset the apple cart.

If the trust are in that position and unable to do anything, does this make them part of the problem?
Joining the trust board appealed to me once upon a time, but it looks clear to me that my views on GTFC are drastically different to the establishment and their stable.

The Trust is an absolute joke.

A supposedly fans trust like a nodding dog with everything the great man says, and giving him a load of shares to boot.

Surely there must be some well heeled businesmen out there who can come to some sort of deal with Fenty? A sock puppet "fans" trust isn't going to cut it.

To be fair, they are in an impossible postion. The difference between somebody who owns and controls the club lock stock and barrel and a part time well meaning but toothless trust is simply too great.

It would be better to disband the trust and start an outside organisation to orchestrate campaigns for a boycott of the club till Fenty leaves.  
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
psgmariner
May 1, 2019, 12:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33

A supposedly fans trust like a nodding dog with everything the great man says, and giving him a load of shares to boot.

Surely there must be some well heeled businesmen out there who can come to some sort of deal with Fenty? A sock puppet "fans" trust isn't going to cut it.

To be fair, they are in an impossible postion. The difference between somebody who owns and controls the club lock stock and barrel and a part time well meaning but toothless trust is simply too great.

It would be better to disband the trust and start an outside organisation to orchestrate campaigns for a boycott of the club till Fenty leaves.  

It is a fans trust hence why it was put to a member vote. You can argue it was the wrong decision but it was collectively made.

Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2019, 1:42pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Well it’s not going to vote itself into non-existence is it. And whether or not the Trust is there is irrelevant if there is an outside organisation campaigning for a boycott.

Then suppose the campaign is successful, what then? Who takes over? We really would be at the mercy of anybody who can wave a big enough cheque.

Who looks after the supporters’ interests (and the club’s) in those circumstances? It certainly won’t be the FA or the League who have shown themselves unfit to run things time and again ).

So you need some sort of organisation that has structures and rules in place to ensure that supporters’ interests are taken care of. We’ve got one of those already! It just needs more people to join and get involved. To change the current conservative (small C) approach to something bolder.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
malkamalka
May 1, 2019, 4:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Didn't the previous Owners of Gainsborough put in 5 million, and it lasted 4 years??

How much did they advance in footballing terms? Where are they now compared to when those owners arrived/left? Look at Boston?

It's not about how much money you have, it's how you spend it.

I think any potential owner(s) need a minimum of £10 million, even accounting for JF "gifting" some of his loans.

Even assuming you start with a clean sheet, you need enough money to run the club for the first season; enough money to fund new players; enough money to develop/redevelop the stadium. PLUS any guarantees that the EFL require regarding solvency AFTER the first season.

If we can raise £10 million in crowdfunding for a lowly League Two football club, perhaps we should be running the country.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
May 1, 2019, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from malkamalka
Didn't the previous Owners of Gainsborough put in 5 million, and it lasted 4 years??

How much did they advance in footballing terms? Where are they now compared to when those owners arrived/left? Look at Boston?

It's not about how much money you have, it's how you spend it.

I think any potential owner(s) need a minimum of £10 million, even accounting for JF "gifting" some of his loans.

Even assuming you start with a clean sheet, you need enough money to run the club for the first season; enough money to fund new players; enough money to develop/redevelop the stadium. PLUS any guarantees that the EFL require regarding solvency AFTER the first season.

If we can raise £10 million in crowdfunding for a lowly League Two football club, perhaps we should be running the country.

Gainsborough dont have the fan base, or potential fan base though do they? If it is to be believed on here, our club is run on fans season ticket money and other forms of secondary  income, but not directly from the board members.*

If there was anyone else running the football club, with exactly the same income as now then things would look a great deal brighter. A little bit of vision, a battle cry to all Town fans to unite behind a new board and we could do much better.

The point is that this current board is completely unable to change tack; they are well-meaning no doubt, but they don't have any go in them, or any further investment it seems.

Nobody is going to come up with 10 million, but a modest amount would go a long way, assuming we can ever be rid of the present board.

*unless anybody knows differently.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
Rik e B
May 1, 2019, 4:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
To be fair to the trust didn't Fenty give a sinister ultimatum and have them/us all over a barrel?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
ska face
May 1, 2019, 5:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,653
Gold Stars: 847
Why do people make out like the fans are asking the world of Fenty & his mates? Some passion, a vision, a bit of professionalism and some fresh ideas is all people want.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2019, 8:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rik e B
To be fair to the trust didn't Fenty give a sinister ultimatum and have them/us all over a barrel?

Well yes, but that still doesn't excuse the decision (board and members who voted for it). The fundamental question was 'would John Fenty want to be known for the club's collapse in those circumstances'. His bluff should have been called. Worst case scenario is the club would have gone into admin, been reformed and charging through the non-league pyramid (we'd be 6/7 years on in that adventure now) and he'd have been the most unpopuar person in NEL and probably not a councillor.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Name your price..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.