Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Name your price..
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 396 Guests

Name your price..

This thread currently has 8,720 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Rob_in_Grimsby
April 29, 2019, 8:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
What a great offer that is for a new owner - buy this football club for £1million. It's been run into the ground, has virtually no assets and an alienated fanbase. If you are innovative, engaging and hardworking you might be able to turn it round and make it successful once again. In which case you'll have to then pay more money to the bloke you bought it off.

It's  not an offer more of one of many options a new a potential buyer would have.  
If a new owner was to be found I would think at that point a figure for the loans and shares as one would be negotiated and would be less than the combined total in return for JF walking away and having no ties to the running of the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
Bigdog
April 29, 2019, 8:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

It is harder than you think as there are a few issues to any new owner and not all are to do with JF
As GTFC is a PLC there are rules around buying blocks of shares so if any new owner wanted to buy the club he would have to make every shareholder an offer to buy their shares not just JF's shares,
JF only owns about 40% share holding and any new owner would possible want more say 51%, this means MP or the Mullins who also own large blocks of shares could demand the new owner to buy theirs as well  In real terms to price could be 1 mil or up to 2.5 mil depending on who wanted to sell.
On top of this there are loans by directors, if the new owner was to pay off JF partly or in full then others who have loans in the club would also ask for tier money back again a far smaller sum but still a cost to the new owner.
The new owner in theory could just buy JF out of his shares for about 1 Mil and accept JF loans stay on the books as a loan to be paid back in the future if affordable as per the rules of the club charter and thats it but on the other hand the price worst case could be over 4 Mil

Good post Rob.

And there it is in a nutshell.. to gain full control of GTFC will cost either 4 mill upfront or 4 mill eventually, and the only asset is the ground at 0.5 mill. On top of that there could be hefty bills in the pipeline to keep BP even up to its current poor standard let alone make any improvements, redundancy costs if the new owner wanted to have a clear out of staff to put his own stamp on things, costs to drag the club up to the digital 21st century and then there's the funding for a new stadium. When you look at it this way, has JF actually been a competent owner of the club like some claim? It's alright saying the books have been balanced profit and loss wise year on year but look at the cost to falling asset value on the balance sheet, the run down nature of everything at the club, the growing apathy or disinterest of the customer base and most of all the product on the pitch..

Bargain basement run down football club for sale at a top dollar price, unless as you say, JF will have to compromise and take a much lower offer in order to walk away..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2019, 11:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog

Good post Rob.

And there it is in a nutshell.. to gain full control of GTFC will cost either 4 mill upfront or 4 mill eventually, and the only asset is the ground at 0.5 mill. On top of that there could be hefty bills in the pipeline to keep BP even up to its current poor standard let alone make any improvements, redundancy costs if the new owner wanted to have a clear out of staff to put his own stamp on things, costs to drag the club up to the digital 21st century and then there's the funding for a new stadium. When you look at it this way, has JF actually been a competent owner of the club like some claim? It's alright saying the books have been balanced profit and loss wise year on year but look at the cost to falling asset value on the balance sheet, the run down nature of everything at the club, the growing apathy or disinterest of the customer base and most of all the product on the pitch..

Bargain basement run down football club for sale at a top dollar price, unless as you say, JF will have to compromise and take a much lower offer in order to walk away..

Which is why people are saying 'name your price'.

Now, no one would really expect someone to do their negotiation in public but as it stands, the full figure looks offputting to anyone. An indication of 'I won't allow my loans to be a stumbling block to genuine parties who want to take over the club' might be a start.

And given that, one previous party has apparently walked away because of the fans' sharholding via the Trust, (in which case I'd applaud the Board for saying no to them), the most logical party for it to pass to IS the Trust if there's someone willing and able to lead it.

The last few seasons have shown that even with pisspoor management the club can wash its face financially and have money left over on a year by year basis (ie a surplus meaning we don't need Mr F's 'financial guarantees' - stick any surplus this year in a rainy day pot). With collective ownership, and reinvogorated leadership, fresh ideas, better communications and marketing and good old fashioned decent treatment of customers, we can grow the income so we have a sustainable and competitive budget. Provided we haven't got to pay for someone's previous mistakes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
1mickylyons
April 30, 2019, 7:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Which is why people are saying 'name your price'.

Now, no one would really expect someone to do their negotiation in public but as it stands, the full figure looks offputting to anyone. An indication of 'I won't allow my loans to be a stumbling block to genuine parties who want to take over the club' might be a start.

And given that, one previous party has apparently walked away because of the fans' sharholding via the Trust, (in which case I'd applaud the Board for saying no to them), the most logical party for it to pass to IS the Trust if there's someone willing and able to lead it.

The last few seasons have shown that even with pisspoor management the club can wash its face financially and have money left over on a year by year basis (ie a surplus meaning we don't need Mr F's 'financial guarantees' - stick any surplus this year in a rainy day pot). With collective ownership, and reinvogorated leadership, fresh ideas, better communications and marketing and good old fashioned decent treatment of customers, we can grow the income so we have a sustainable and competitive budget. Provided we haven't got to pay for someone's previous mistakes.

There are people willing and able to lead the Trust but the Trust don`t want them on board and the GTFC Board certainly wouldn`t want them either so we are stuck with this impasse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 30, 2019, 8:23am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from 1mickylyons

There are people willing and able to lead the Trust but the Trust don`t want them on board and the GTFC Board certainly wouldn`t want them either so we are stuck with this impasse.

Is this a chicken and egg type situation? i.e. do those that are willing to stand on the trust board need to issue their “war cry”/ manifesto to see firstly if that will galvanise increased interest in fans joining the trust to help elect these individuals into positions where they may be able to make a difference.

I let my membership lapse a couple of years ago and would be one of those who would renew if I thought it would help drive change within the running of GTFC.

A lot of water to pass under the bridge before that position could be achieved but if nobody turns the tap on that water will never even start to flow.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
Malta_Mariner_90
April 30, 2019, 9:57am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from ska face

but we’ve probably got just about enough to stay up so that’ll do for the plebs.

And the plebs, as usual will prove Fenty right. Allowing the long hot summer with no football to watch whatsoever to trick their minds into thinking that Jolley will somehow be able to build a promotion winning side using the loose change discovered under the burger van next to the main stand.

Consequently purchasing a slightly increased in price season ticket expecting Cardwell to discover his inner first touch and Jolley to research the following in a well known search engine, "crossing", "winger", "Whinger", "wide-man", "obesity epidemic", "Tony Crane". etc. Maybe even "goals".  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
Gaffer58
April 30, 2019, 10:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Hyperthetically, if GTFC were to go into administration would it mean Mr Fenty probably losing all or only getting say 10p in the pound of his "benign " loan back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
Bigdog
April 30, 2019, 12:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons

And this is not meant to be criticism in the slightest because they do their best they can with the agenda they are comfortable with, the Mariners Trust will never be the vehicle to effect significant change at the football club ie change of ownership, fan ownership or securing another investor to take JF's place. There isn't the will there and there isn't the manpower there. They do a good enough job running the bars etc but any effort to change the status quo will put the Trust in turmoil and not be welcomed by the club as proved before when others have wanted to go another way. They help the club and the current board because between them it's the best thing they can do as a group as it stands and probably should be left that way. I joined the Trust a year last January. Since then I've not received confirmation of me joining, proof of payment, an introduction to the Trust, any newsletter or a request to renew this January so how could they be trusted to run a big campaign for fan ownership or hunting for investment? That would have to be a newly formed group with a crystal clear and simple agenda to buy into ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
Mariner_09
April 30, 2019, 12:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
At this level, my gut feeling is that budgets aren’t massively different. Even if we have 16th-17th budget we aren’t massively off having a budget of those 7th-8th. Most teams just pick up a tin and give it a shake and see what comes out. It’s more scientific than that but wages will be similar so a lot of it comes down to luck, ie if the signing of a set of players happen to gel as there isn’t a great deal of quality difference between sides, we could easily have won both games against Lincoln this season had one or two things have go another way for example. If Jolley gets just two or three signings this summer right and they fit in well then we’ll be challenging the top 7, if he gets those wrong then we could easily be in a relegation scrap again.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
1mickylyons
April 30, 2019, 12:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Is this a chicken and egg type situation? i.e. do those that are willing to stand on the trust board need to issue their “war cry”/ manifesto to see firstly if that will galvanise increased interest in fans joining the trust to help elect these individuals into positions where they may be able to make a difference.

I let my membership lapse a couple of years ago and would be one of those who would renew if I thought it would help drive change within the running of GTFC.

A lot of water to pass under the bridge before that position could be achieved but if nobody turns the tap on that water will never even start to flow.

In my opinion the people who represent and run the MT are all good people who have the best interests of GTFC and it`s supporters at heart BUT that same thing also applies to being the biggest problem with the MT.

Based on my limited dialouge with these people they are more than happy to listen to suggestions and take them to the Club. (I assume warts and all?)

I think it`s at this stage things start to breakdown . Based on my experiences not much seems to materialize and when it does it`s half hearted from the Club and I don`t know if that`s down to delivery from the MT or more what I think personally lack of effort from GTFC?

Are the MT forceful enough in present form to effect the change supporters are calling for within the football club and in the effect the change comes about and goes t1ts up who gets the blame then?

It`s very easy for people like me to sit here all day criticising other people who freely give up vast amounts of there time to try and improve what`s on offer at BP but what am I going to do about it? Well from a personal point of view I have looked at it offered some opinions and offered to get more involved and never heard anything more back so assume I am surplus to requirements on that front . I don`t know why my offers to get involved where not taken up by the MT but I would suggest it`s mostly down to my opinions aired on here ? I don`t take this personally the MT need a strong working relationship with the football club and clearly they and the membership must feel the MT is right as they were elected by the members.

To conclude the MT in my opinion do a hell of a lot of good work for the Club and it`s fans BUT it`s not really the work a lot of people want them to do people like me want them to get bigger and look to bigger things. A lot of things go on in the background and rightly so you can`t just plaster it on sites like this and other social media outlets and hope for the best but since OP the Trusts use of social media seems to have badly waned?

Be nice if Ian or Dave replied to some of this and gave further insight from the inner circle so to speak.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Name your price..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.