lee65
March 24, 2019, 11:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
"realistic aspirations to attaining Championship status. "

Is this ever going to be the case again?, League 1 yes, but a massive jump to what is effectively Premiership 2.

I hope I'm proven wrong in the coming years, but seems a big ask  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 119
Ipswin
March 24, 2019, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from lee65

Is this ever going to be the case again?, League 1 yes, but a massive jump to what is effectively Premiership 2.

It's as likely as a new ground

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 119
RonMariner
March 24, 2019, 1:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from lee65

Scunthorpe have been there recently. I am sure Lincoln will be aiming to get there as a goal for next season.

L1 should not be the limit of our ambition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 119
KingstonMariner
March 24, 2019, 6:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RonMariner
Fenty's cash contributions certainly kept the club afloat, and who knows where we would be now without them. He was not responsible for the mess with HMRC. So we should be grateful that he bailed us out when he did. We avoided a Chester, Hereford, Darlington, Stockport situation.

However, we have now seen smaller Lincs clubs Scunthorpe and Lincoln overtake us (in the former case for more than a decade) because they are well run and their board's have invested wisely in players and managers. It involved pumping cash into their clubs. Sadly what investments our board have made have not been as successful.

So despite his best efforts, and I have no doubt that he like all fans wants the best for the club, he has not brought the desired success to the club. I think, therefore, that we need a new person at the helm. Someone with a desire to invest, and fresh ideas about how best to use any incoming funds.

I believe that we have a forward looking manager, and we also have several promising young players already at the club, so the base is there on which to build.

I would hope that some deal could be done to repay some of the loans to JF, possibly staged over several years and possibly linked to success on the pitch, so that they don't prove an insurmountable financial barrier to prospective investors. Some of the loans could be converted into shares so that he would benefit should the financial fortunes of the club improve substantially in the future.

But we should be a L1 club with realistic aspirations to attaining Championship status. We are a long way from that. We need change.  

Pretty fair and balanced assessment. To be a bit more even handed saving us from the fate of those four clubs, could have meant we also avoided the fate of Rotherham, Bournemouth and other clubs who went into admin and prospered. To be clear on this, I'm glad for any small creditors that thtat didn't happen.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 119
barralad
March 25, 2019, 6:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
I had an interesting conversation last week with someone who was close to the club then but no longer. The advice at the time was that HMRC were looking to make an example of a football club and although GTFC were not singled out it could have been us and the very real threat of a winding up order. Maybe the Trust at the time could have energised to get the money together to stave that off but it would have been a very tall order. I'm not au fait with the workings of business banking but to have borrowed money from the bank to pay off the sort of money J.F. had to pay out (the HMRC stuff and Ramsden's "loans") would have incurred serious interest costs. Perhaps someone knows different but J.F.s "loan" was interest free?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 119
KingstonMariner
March 25, 2019, 11:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad
I had an interesting conversation last week with someone who was close to the club then but no longer. The advice at the time was that HMRC were looking to make an example of a football club and although GTFC were not singled out it could have been us and the very real threat of a winding up order. Maybe the Trust at the time could have energised to get the money together to stave that off but it would have been a very tall order. I'm not au fait with the workings of business banking but to have borrowed money from the bank to pay off the sort of money J.F. had to pay out (the HMRC stuff and Ramsden's "loans") would have incurred serious interest costs. Perhaps someone knows different but J.F.s "loan" was interest free?

The Trust did try. Too few people chipped in. I think something up to £20k was raised in the Keep the Mariners Afloat campaign (I may be over-estimating the number). There seemed to be a widely held view (at least going by comments on the Fishy, on Cod Almighty and in the GrimTel) that 'Fenty should stick his hand in his pocket, he's just made £25m'. He did, for which he deserves credit. The rest is history.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 119
RoboCod
April 7, 2019, 11:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from moosey_club

JF -  "Michael, we are safe now , start losing games so we can save on win bonuses, clean sheet bonuses and scoring bonuses and i will up your budget for a proper crack at mid table obscurity next season ".

I thought this was a funny little quip at the time, Moosey, not actual inside-information

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 119
H19P1
April 7, 2019, 4:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Something needs to happen this summer surely. We cannot continue with same lower league budget yet again 🙈

Get behind the manager and give him an increased budget JF in time for the summer transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 119
FishOutOfWater
April 7, 2019, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from RonMariner
Fenty's cash contributions certainly kept the club afloat, and who knows where we would be now without them. He was not responsible for the mess with HMRC. So we should be grateful that he bailed us out when he did. We avoided a Chester, Hereford, Darlington, Stockport situation.

However, we have now seen smaller Lincs clubs Scunthorpe and Lincoln overtake us (in the former case for more than a decade) because they are well run and their board's have invested wisely in players and managers. It involved pumping cash into their clubs. Sadly what investments our board have made have not been as successful.

So despite his best efforts, and I have no doubt that he like all fans wants the best for the club, he has not brought the desired success to the club. I think, therefore, that we need a new person at the helm. Someone with a desire to invest, and fresh ideas about how best to use any incoming funds.

I believe that we have a forward looking manager, and we also have several promising young players already at the club, so the base is there on which to build.

I would hope that some deal could be done to repay some of the loans to JF, possibly staged over several years and possibly linked to success on the pitch, so that they don't prove an insurmountable financial barrier to prospective investors. Some of the loans could be converted into shares so that he would benefit should the financial fortunes of the club improve substantially in the future.

But we should be a L1 club with realistic aspirations to attaining Championship status. We are a long way from that. We need change.  

But I thought we had a plan in place to get us in to the Championship within the next five years..... or have I been hoodwinked by the board? Again?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 118 - 119
RonMariner
April 7, 2019, 9:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

But I thought we had a plan in place to get us in to the Championship within the next five years..... or have I been hoodwinked by the board? Again?

Love to see the plan.........does it involve buying lottery tickets?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 119
12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › CA Cryptic Comment Conundrum

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.