TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 21, 2019, 6:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Marinerz93
Fcuk the telewag, the only people I know who buy the telewag are old age pensioners who remember the old days when the local paper was worth reading nowadays it's not fit to wipe anyone bottom, let alone grace a bog of fish and chips.

The only thing the telewag is good for is Deja Moo for all the recycled bullshit it continually prints.

I prefer to sit at a table to eat my fish and chips and possibly grace a bog later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
Cod Cheeks
February 21, 2019, 8:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
If, in his eyes, the vast majority of fans were brilliant with only a handful of bad ones then why did he celebrate our best day for a long time in the manner he did?
The guy is rubbish and was lucky to have one of the best budgets to eventually get us back in the league. I like to think he was also lucky at Shrewsbury.
His luck ran out at Ipswich which just leaves the rubbish.
A bitter little man.
Good night Vienna
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
MuddyWaters
February 21, 2019, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Typical cheap Telegraph reporting picking bits out to cause controversy.

If you listen all the way through, it forms part of his career that he’s got some regrets over. Was I a fan? Not really. Did he get a bit lucky with the Monkhouse injury? Probably. But it’s harsh to judge the interview on just the GTFC bits.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
jock dock tower
February 21, 2019, 9:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Hopefully the Telewag won't be doing something similar with Slade any time soon.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
promotion plaice
February 21, 2019, 9:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from jock dock tower
Hopefully the Telewag won't be doing something similar with Slade any time soon.

I wonder what Slade and Wilko are doing now ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
HertsGTFC
February 21, 2019, 9:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Cold light if day......

When he took over on his own the squad wasn’t good enough largely because we where skint he improved us the next year and just missed out versus Brizzle. He improved us again and took us up from a league where only 2 go up. We came up and when he left looked relatively stable.

The football wasn’t great, has to be said though that the players we had though decent at that level where playing non league for a reason.

Before Hurst where all our managers nice friendly souls who engaged with the supporters, showed them complete reverence and always got it right in the press? Nope! In fact our most successful ever Sir Alan could be a right miserable so and so when he wanted to be.

It’s really easy to focus on the micro but the makro is that he get us up. On and off the pitch at times it wasn’t pretty but in the end effective.

Comments in the press? Well he’s out of work and clearly like many managers worried about being forgot about. He’s entitled to his opinion as everyone is but history is history and it ain’t going to change.

Cupping ears? No big deal for me players inc ones in Town shirts have done it before and will do it again in fact in the PO final Omar did it in front of the FGR fans, does that make him a d1ck, nah not IMHO. Those who dish it out shouldn’t be surprised to get a bit back, that’s the way it is.

As a club we’re moving forward he’s part of our history and some success so I’d prefer to just remember the feeling when Nathan scores the 3rd on the day to take us back up, the rest means fcuk all in reality.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
Maringer
February 21, 2019, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding the Telewag, I was flicking through it when I visited my parents house earlier and was amazed to see that they are advertising hand jobs! The class ads have a "Adult Services" section with lots of massagers selling their, erm, wares. That's the 21st century for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
Grim74
February 21, 2019, 10:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Why has the telegraph given his short bottom the time of day? the stubborn dwarf is finished in football by doing podcasts to make himself relevant is all he’s got now. I will be glad if I never hear his name again the most overrated manager we’ve ever had, a tactical bore who got a lucky

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 71
Posh Harry
February 22, 2019, 6:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
If, in his eyes, the vast majority of fans were brilliant with only a handful of bad ones then why did he celebrate our best day for a long time in the manner he did?
The guy is rubbish and was lucky to have one of the best budgets to eventually get us back in the league. I like to think he was also lucky at Shrewsbury.
A bitter little man.
Good night Vienna

I am not a hurst lover or loather. He did a few things wrong while with us and the football was pragmatic, but to say he is rubbish is very harsh imho. He got us promoted back to the league with a budget that was probably never in the top 3 of the league he was in. Yes it took longer than we all wanted, yes he got lucky (imo) with the monkhouse injury and thankfully we had a good ref for the second leg against Braintree, but let’s not forget if was not for one of the most incompetent refs in history we would probably have been promoted the year before.

As for getting lucky with Shrewsbury - really? To take a team from bottom of league one to the play offs the following season takes a lot more than luck.

As I say, not a lover of the man, but not sure he is the bitter one here.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 22, 2019, 8:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
A bitter little man.
Good night Vienna

I don’t like him but he isn’t rubbish. It’s just that he could be a much better manager if he threw away the chip on his shoulder and became more positive in the job. His ambitions are limited. He did well at Shrews in the first season to save them from the drop and created his usual defensive side for year 2 that got to the top spot in the league by January with a lot of 1-0 wins. Then for some reason, just as he did at BP he settled for the play offs much too soon. Games he could and should have won were drawn and the side lost points and momentum. Some Shrews fans said the same as some Town fans about his negative tactics against poorer sides and his aim being not to lose.

Ipswich? He let good players go too soon probably because he has no experience of managing “stars” who are paid more than him and tried to do a Shrews again but his signings were not good enough. The football was even more defensive than McCarthy and not what Ipswich fans wanted to see. Lambert will take them down but he is on a hiding to nothing with the players Hurst left.

I feel sorry for Hurst in a way. There is a decent manager in there but he is scared to let him out. In the end it was his fear of failure that caused him to fail.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst in the Telewag

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.