Rodley Mariner
February 23, 2019, 9:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Of course. It's just people making stupid comments I don't like. How can you moan someone signed a team that would have ended up in the bottom of the Conference, but for one player he signed.

Agree. Just as stupid as claiming someone only got a team promoted because one of his players got injured.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 71
promotion plaice
February 23, 2019, 10:16pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194

Hurst did a job for us in the end so well done to him and he kept us pretty much in contention during our time in the tinpot....just look at York, Hartlepool, Chesterfield etc and Wrexham although they could finally return this season.

I don't really care if I don't like a manager or even if he gets lucky as long as he delivers and Hurst did.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 71
mariner91
February 23, 2019, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,583
Gold Stars: 260

I think you're being a bit one-eyed about Woods. You can't criticise him for something that didn't happen. We were in no danger of relegation. And if he is criticised for signing excrement players he should be praised for signing ones that were successful like Connell. You can't criticse Woods by saying 'but for Connell's goals we'd have been in danger of relegation', for the fact that Woods signed Connell.

The criticism wasn't about relegation, I never said he got us relegated or had us in danger of it but that was purely because one player he signed had an unbelievable season where he was conjuring goals out of nothing regularly. So yeah kudos for that signing. Kudos for signing Coulson on a permanent too. But he also signed Lewis Gobern, Darran Kempson, Micky Cummins, Lee Ridley, Charles Ademeno, Steven Watt, Rob Eagle, Dwayne Samuels, Dean Sinclair, Serge Makofo, Rob Duffy and Bryan Hughes. The context of my original criticism is that bar two signings, our squad was awful.

Somebody had said that the club wasn't in total decline before Hurst arrived and that's just categorically wrong in my opinion. The club had lost to Chasetown which is our worst ever result, had failed to make the FA cup first round for the first time in it's history and had just been relegated to non-league. Things were dire. Couple that with the fact that the parachute money which gives clubs a bit of an advantage had been spunked away by Woods on a squad which was complete shite and things looked pretty bleak. It was only Hurst (and Scott to be fair) signing a half decent spine in McKeown, Disley, Pearson, Hearn and Elding (they also got Townsend on loan and signed Miller in January) which finally stopped the decline and gave us some sort of platform to build on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 71
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2019, 11:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,907
Gold Stars: 228
So after all this time let’s be brave enough to name it shall we? If Hurst was from Southampton, Swansea, Sunderland or Stevenage he’d be forgiven for not playing great football at a level where football isn’t great and being a miserable sod.

BUT..🙈

Because he’s from Sheffield the myopic minority who despise Yorkshire & think football died when we pulled down the Barret Stand and the miners stopped coming to Meggies will always look back in anger.

In my 52 years Laurie Mc, John Newman, King George, Sir Alan and Paul Hurst are the only managers to achieve promotion.They all deserve credit!

Hurst didn’t cuddle up to us but he delivered what we craved, what more did you seriously want?

BTW...

I can live with the ear cupping especially after the stick he took especially at Halifax but personally I’m disappointed he’s talking about us in the press 2 and a 1/2 years after leaving.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 71
Sir Matt Tease
February 23, 2019, 11:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 31
And I'm disappointed that we are still talking about HIM two and a half years after he left !

He's gone, it's over, he left, why cant we stop talking about him ?

I was glad he left but whats more important is the here and now.

Let's just drop it, its boring !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 71
realist
February 24, 2019, 12:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
For Christ's sake he is history. Finished. Kaput. End of. Let us forget and move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 71
somersetmariner
February 24, 2019, 12:35am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So after all this time let’s be brave enough to name it shall we? If Hurst was from Southampton, Swansea, Sunderland or Stevenage he’d be forgiven for not playing great football at a level where football isn’t great and being a miserable sod.

BUT..🙈

Because he’s from Sheffield the myopic minority who despise Yorkshire & think football died when we pulled down the Barret Stand and the miners stopped coming to Meggies will always look back in anger.

In my 52 years Laurie Mc, John Newman, King George, Sir Alan and Paul Hurst are the only managers to achieve promotion.They all deserve credit!

Hurst didn’t cuddle up to us but he delivered what we craved, what more did you seriously want?

BTW...

I can live with the ear cupping especially after the stick he took especially at Halifax but personally I’m disappointed he’s talking about us in the press 2 and a 1/2 years after leaving.

The interview is marvellous. He talk about us, so much he was asked questions about his time here. Paul’s responses were balanced and fair.

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 71
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2019, 10:28am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Agree. Just as stupid as claiming someone only got a team promoted because one of his players got injured.

Yes. It would be equally unbalanced to say that.

We also got lucky with the pen at Braintree   [For the avoidance of doubt, I think we'd been extremely unlucky not to have the Rovers goalie sent off the year before]

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 71
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2019, 10:36am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mariner91

The criticism wasn't about relegation, I never said he got us relegated or had us in danger of it but that was purely because one player he signed had an unbelievable season where he was conjuring goals out of nothing regularly. So yeah kudos for that signing. Kudos for signing Coulson on a permanent too. But he also signed Lewis Gobern, Darran Kempson, Micky Cummins, Lee Ridley, Charles Ademeno, Steven Watt, Rob Eagle, Dwayne Samuels, Dean Sinclair, Serge Makofo, Rob Duffy and Bryan Hughes. The context of my original criticism is that bar two signings, our squad was awful.

Somebody had said that the club wasn't in total decline before Hurst arrived and that's just categorically wrong in my opinion. The club had lost to Chasetown which is our worst ever result, had failed to make the FA cup first round for the first time in it's history and had just been relegated to non-league. Things were dire. Couple that with the fact that the parachute money which gives clubs a bit of an advantage had been spunked away by Woods on a squad which was complete shite and things looked pretty bleak. It was only Hurst (and Scott to be fair) signing a half decent spine in McKeown, Disley, Pearson, Hearn and Elding (they also got Townsend on loan and signed Miller in January) which finally stopped the decline and gave us some sort of platform to build on.

Some players perform better than you could expect and some play worse.

I agree. The club was in decline when we went down to the Conference. I'm not sure Woods got as much patience as Scott and Hurst got, as frustrating as it was to be only mid-table at the time.  The widespread expectation when we went down was that it would be a short-term thing - those of us who had seen non-League football weren't as optimistic and probably weren't as surprised to find it more of a struggle. I think Woods was partly a victim of that frustration.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 71
arryarryarry
February 24, 2019, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

Some players perform better than you could expect and some play worse.

I agree. The club was in decline when we went down to the Conference. I'm not sure Woods got as much patience as Scott and Hurst got, as frustrating as it was to be only mid-table at the time.  The widespread expectation when we went down was that it would be a short-term thing - those of us who had seen non-League football weren't as optimistic and probably weren't as surprised to find it more of a struggle. I think Woods was partly a victim of that frustration.

Woods was given far too much patience and should have been long gone before we got relegated, he should certainly have been sacked at ten to five after the Burton game why the hell JF and the board gave him another season is beyond me and one reason why I could never forgive them.

Looking at that list of players my God did Woods sign some right shite, Lee frigging Ridley one of the worst players ever to turn out for Town.

As for Hurst and Scott they couldn't improve on Woods first season in non league as we finished in the same position, 11th.  
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst in the Telewag

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.