8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
February 22, 2019, 8:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228

I don’t like him but he isn’t rubbish. It’s just that he could be a much better manager if he threw away the chip on his shoulder and became more positive in the job. His ambitions are limited. He did well at Shrews in the first season to save them from the drop and created his usual defensive side for year 2 that got to the top spot in the league by January with a lot of 1-0 wins. Then for some reason, just as he did at BP he settled for the play offs much too soon. Games he could and should have won were drawn and the side lost points and momentum. Some Shrews fans said the same as some Town fans about his negative tactics against poorer sides and his aim being not to lose.

Ipswich? He let good players go too soon probably because he has no experience of managing “stars” who are paid more than him and tried to do a Shrews again but his signings were not good enough. The football was even more defensive than McCarthy and not what Ipswich fans wanted to see. Lambert will take them down but he is on a hiding to nothing with the players Hurst left.

I feel sorry for Hurst in a way. There is a decent manager in there but he is scared to let him out. In the end it was his fear of failure that caused him to fail.

Looking at the Ipswich situation I would imagine he was forced to let good players go to keep their costs down.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 22, 2019, 9:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Looking at the Ipswich situation I would imagine he was forced to let good players go to keep their costs down.

No doubt. But he was not able to make the best of the ones he had. Fair enough he tried to make silk purses out of Nolan and Toto and the like and that worked at Shrews but it was a step up too far for them to play against quality every game. From the bits I’ve read from Ipswich fans he seemed reluctant to use some of their good young players as well which is another of his safety first foibles isn’t it? Bryan Klug has run a good academy down there for years.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
FishOutOfWater
February 22, 2019, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from promotion plaice

I wonder what Slade and Wilko are doing now ?

The same as when they were in charge here probably...… absolutely nothing!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 71
devs
February 22, 2019, 3:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Thought Hurst interview was 100% fair and balanced
He has no time for the bile spouted by a significant minority - why would he?
But for at least 95% of fans he has huge respect and admiration

PH will never have a love in with the fans of any club - like AB - he's not built that way...dour Yorkie and all that

And he deep down probably regrets the 'cup-ear' gesture - but it was a split-second choice releasing lots of pressure I guess...unlike some who post on here after GTFC lose and they offer very well thought out and considered opinions such as 'Jolley out' 'worse team ever' etc

We move on...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
RichMariner
February 22, 2019, 4:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Like him or loathe him, he was the one who got us back into the Football League and gave us an incredible moment at Wembley (made all the sweeter due to the fine margins that denied us in previous years).

He gave it his all. He brought the likes of McKeown, Pearson, Disley, Bogle and Amond to the club. Let's not forget - we were a club in total decline. We could have gone the way of Stockport. Look at Hartlepool and Chesterfield... we had no divine right to be challenging near the top every season. The fact we did was down to him.

Budget? Yes, probably healthy. But so was Notts County's for this season. Budgets help, but they mean nothing if you haven't got the right person in charge.

I think the way he left the club has tainted people's memories of him. Added to his reaction after winning at Wembley, I think it's skewed things somewhat.

Look at the facts. A high win percentage. Top 4 finishes in most of his seasons as a manager at every level. The only manager to deliver promotion apart from AB in the last 30-odd years. If there's a League 1 club looking for some stability then they'd do worse than to appoint Paul Hurst.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
Cayman_mariner
February 22, 2019, 6:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +483
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from RichMariner
Like him or loathe him, he was the one who got us back into the Football League and gave us an incredible moment at Wembley (made all the sweeter due to the fine margins that denied us in previous years).

He gave it his all. He brought the likes of McKeown, Pearson, Disley, Bogle and Amond to the club. Let's not forget - we were a club in total decline. We could have gone the way of Stockport. Look at Hartlepool and Chesterfield... we had no divine right to be challenging near the top every season. The fact we did was down to him.

Budget? Yes, probably healthy. But so was Notts County's for this season. Budgets help, but they mean nothing if you haven't got the right person in charge.

I think the way he left the club has tainted people's memories of him. Added to his reaction after winning at Wembley, I think it's skewed things somewhat.

Look at the facts. A high win percentage. Top 4 finishes in most of his seasons as a manager at every level. The only manager to deliver promotion apart from AB in the last 30-odd years. If there's a League 1 club looking for some stability then they'd do worse than to appoint Paul Hurst.

Excellent post Rich, bang on the money for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 22, 2019, 7:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RichMariner
Let's not forget - we were a club in total decline..

People are entitled to their opinion, if you think Hurst was good that is your prerogative.

One thing though. The club was not in total decline pre-Hurst. Neil Woods had been given a very good budget with the parachute money, probably second only to Crawley, but he had still not got the team into a playoff position in fact we were 9th after drawing with Fleetwood and still in with a shout. On 23rd February 2011 Neil was sacked. One month later Scott and Hurst were appointed but we could only finish 11th.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
Abdul19
February 22, 2019, 10:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
*drawing with Forest Green

(Pedant mode)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2019, 10:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

People are entitled to their opinion, if you think Hurst was good that is your prerogative.

One thing though. The club was not in total decline pre-Hurst. Neil Woods had been given a very good budget with the parachute money, probably second only to Crawley, but he had still not got the team into a playoff position in fact we were 9th after drawing with Fleetwood and still in with a shout. On 23rd February 2011 Neil was sacked. One month later Scott and Hurst were appointed but we could only finish 11th.

Ah but look what happened the following season. Scott n Hurst completely turned things around and we finished .....11th. But with a few more points.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
Abdul19
February 22, 2019, 10:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
We had no facking money though

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst in the Telewag

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.