Reply: 50 - 71
mariner91
February 23, 2019, 11:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253

People are entitled to their opinion, if you think Hurst was good that is your prerogative.

One thing though. The club was not in total decline pre-Hurst. Neil Woods had been given a very good budget with the parachute money, probably second only to Crawley, but he had still not got the team into a playoff position in fact we were 9th after drawing with Fleetwood and still in with a shout. On 23rd February 2011 Neil was sacked. One month later Scott and Hurst were appointed but we could only finish 11th.

The club blew the parachute money by not sacking Woods the moment he took us down. The only thing that stopped a relegation scrap that first season was Connell's goals, take him out of that team and it was unbelievably poor. Out of that entire squad, Connell was the only one in the 8 years since who has moved up a level in football, all the rest went down the pyramid because they were generally pretty awful.

Some of the players who played for us that season are scarily bad. Here's a list of players who made more than 20 appearances for us that year: Connell, Wood, Hudson, Eagle, Bore, Cummins, Peacock, Kempson, Ridley, Coulson, Arthur, Atkinson, Samuels, Watt, Leary, Garner. Out of that lot, only Connell, Wood and Coulson would have been anywhere near the starting eleven of a team going for promotion.  Your prejudice against Hurst is clouding your judgement of just what a state we were in when he took over.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
Ipswin
February 23, 2019, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

Ipswich? He let good players go too soon probably because he has no experience of managing “stars” who are paid more than him and tried to do a Shrews again but his signings were not good enough. The football was even more defensive than McCarthy and not what Ipswich fans wanted to see. Lambert will take them down but he is on a hiding to nothing with the players Hurst left.

Lambert is very lucky that he can hide behind the disaster that was Hurst and blame him for relegation, a position a lot of Ipswich ST holders I know have already adopted

In fact Lambert's record is no better than Hurst's and he has now had a transfer window during which he brought in a number of players

It does appear however that Nolan (and occasionally as a sub Nsiala) is now pushing for a regular start under Lambert and is showing the promise Hurst (and I) thought he had. That said he'll be playing in Div 1 next season so he might look even better!

Ipswich Town relegated! Loving it! (just hope somehow we can get into the playoffs and go up, would love to play them again)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2019, 11:48am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mariner91

The club blew the parachute money by not sacking Woods the moment he took us down. The only thing that stopped a relegation scrap that first season was Connell's goals, take him out of that team and it was unbelievably poor. Out of that entire squad, Connell was the only one in the 8 years since who has moved up a level in football, all the rest went down the pyramid because they were generally pretty awful.

Some of the players who played for us that season are scarily bad. Here's a list of players who made more than 20 appearances for us that year: Connell, Wood, Hudson, Eagle, Bore, Cummins, Peacock, Kempson, Ridley, Coulson, Arthur, Atkinson, Samuels, Watt, Leary, Garner. Out of that lot, only Connell, Wood and Coulson would have been anywhere near the starting eleven of a team going for promotion.  Your prejudice against Hurst is clouding your judgement of just what a state we were in when he took over.

I think you're being a bit one-eyed about Woods. You can't criticise him for something that didn't happen. We were in no danger of relegation. And if he is criticised for signing excrement players he should be praised for signing ones that were successful like Connell. You can't criticse Woods by saying 'but for Connell's goals we'd have been in danger of relegation', for the fact that Woods signed Connell.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
Rodley Mariner
February 23, 2019, 12:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Can we blame him for 26 games without a win, relegation to the conference and spunking the parachute payment?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2019, 12:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,629
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think you're being a bit one-eyed about Woods. You can't criticise him for something that didn't happen. We were in no danger of relegation. And if he is criticised for signing excrement players he should be praised for signing ones that were successful like Connell. You can't criticse Woods by saying 'but for Connell's goals we'd have been in danger of relegation', for the fact that Woods signed Connell.

Regardless of what Woods did or didn't do when Hurst took over we where really poor on and off the,pitch and had been for years.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
chaos33
February 23, 2019, 8:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Can we blame him for 26 games without a win, relegation to the conference and spunking the parachute payment?

Apparently not.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
Abdul19
February 23, 2019, 8:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
To be fair, his run was only 20 games (plus 2 in the cup, including a loss to a team 2 divisions below)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2019, 9:38pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Of course. It's just people making stupid comments I don't like. How can you moan someone signed a team that would have ended up in the bottom of the Conference, but for one player he signed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
KingstonMariner
February 23, 2019, 9:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Regardless of what Woods did or didn't do when Hurst took over we where really poor on and off the,pitch and had been for years.

No disputing that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst in the Telewag

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.