8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
oochiad
February 21, 2019, 12:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,705
Gold Stars: 27
Monkhouse got injured, he had to change the team that’s why we got out the conference. We’d still be there if not. Hurst didn’t make the changes to get us out the conference it was forced upon him and thank god that happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 71
arryarryarry
February 21, 2019, 1:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09
If you actually listened to whole interview, he described the away fans in particular as "outstanding" and that the vast majority of fans were very supportive. He then went on to say he left because the budget didn't increase significantly and he didn't get the off pitch stuff he wanted. He went out of his way to say that was nothing to do with a small majority of fans. Please stop this anti-Hurst, Hurst hating fans agenda, it's not true!

Erm, he's the one that keeps bringing up comments about some of the fans, perhaps he should let it go now especially how he is currently out of a job after being dumped by Ipswich.  
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 71
Mikoo
February 21, 2019, 2:30am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, he's the one that keeps bringing up comments about some of the fans, perhaps he should let it go now especially how he is currently out of a job after being dumped by Ipswich.  

He was doing a podcast interview where he was asked questions, some about his time at Grimsby (it covered his whole career). Of course he's going to bring it up when specifically asked about his relationship with the fans.

If you'd bothered to listen to the whole podcast you'd hear he compliments the fans, says that some still send him letters now, and talks about how he is happy he brought success to the club as he knows how important it is to the whole town...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
thevera
February 21, 2019, 9:42am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Mariner_09
If you actually listened to whole interview, he described the away fans in particular as "outstanding" and that the vast majority of fans were very supportive. He then went on to say he left because the budget didn't increase significantly and he didn't get the off pitch stuff he wanted. He went out of his way to say that was nothing to do with a small majority of fans. Please stop this anti-Hurst, Hurst hating fans agenda, it's not true!

Well said. I listened to the interview and thought he spoke about his time at Blundell Park quite positively and that includes "the vast majority of fans". Some people just pick out little bits so they can have a go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 71
Perkins
February 21, 2019, 10:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Three managers on and some people are still obsessed with Hurst. He's history, move on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
Youngy
February 21, 2019, 10:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Think it's very easy to forget that after the 1st leg against Braintree, there was a very high amount of supporters calling for his head before the 2nd leg including a banner on the flyover with 'Hurst Out' written on it.

Imagine the team bus seeing that on the way out of town as they head to the biggest game of the season?

At the final whistle of the Play Off final, it's clear that emotions are running high. Was he right in cupping his ears? Perhaps not but were people right to abuse him going into such a massive game either? Not at all. He's a human being and I can imagine the stress of the whole situation getting to him and his family.

He's not the first manager who has openly criticised sections of our support. Buckley was always open in his views of moans he would get from people in the main stand. In fact the last speakers evening he did, he said 'you lot treat me better now then you did when I was manager'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
1mickylyons
February 21, 2019, 10:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I criticised Hurst numerous times for being negative and talking up the opposition before games especially at home . I had no problem with him cupping his ears in so much I had given him earache he was perfectly entitled to have a pop back. Did it lack class and was it a good thing to do at that time not sure ? I backed PH with back to back ST and I hadn`t done that since Buckley left the 2nd time so I was happy enough with him and think he is a decent lower league Manager and wished him well at Ipswich. I much prefer our current Manager though and I wouldnt swap them for £1M
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
February 21, 2019, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The point being made in this thread isn't that we thought Hurst left because of the fans (that is what our leader said). It's that the guy lacks class.

“I felt there were people celebrating promotion that didn’t deserve to”. What a fricking stupid thing to say. Even if people ate the time went over the top with criticism, the majority of them had been around a lot longer than Hurst and are still around supporting the club through thin and thin. The twerp has no right to say they didn't deserve to celebrate promotion.

Perhaps he meant members of the Board not deserving to celebrate?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
marinerdazza
February 21, 2019, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,841
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from oochiad
Monkhouse got injured, he had to change the team that’s why we got out the conference. We’d still be there if not. Hurst didn’t make the changes to get us out the conference it was forced upon him and thank god that happened.

Whatever you think of the bloke, this is spot on.

Anyway, Jolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 21, 2019, 10:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Point One - Hurst did not have to do the interview. It was his choice.

Point Two - Hurst was the one who raised the issue of criticism from "one or two" as he puts it in the interview.

Point Three - Hurst does indeed mention the away support, but only for the support ie when it is unquestioning. His attitude to fans in general was still to tar them all with the same brush as not knowing anything worth listening to about the game or the club.

Point Four - What about Operation Promotion? His attitude was dismissive if not downright negative because it was fan based and placed fans' expectations on his management.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst in the Telewag

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.