This thread currently has 10,220 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
February 21, 2019, 12:31pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,140
Gold Stars: 102
My original point was around a lack of class. Even within the full interview that still stands. He had no need to cup his ears, he had no need to bring this excrement up again, especially in this manner. I think he thrives on a siege mentality and needs an enemy. Toward the end of the promotion season he pulled this in against the fans. Even if there was one or two who were vocal in their challenge of him, to act in the way he does tarnishes it for the rest.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
RichMariner
February 21, 2019, 12:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Lack of class? Dunno. Possibly. He's human, and he was doubted by a lot of fans throughout his time here. I remember very clearly that a lot of posters on the Fishy said we'd never go up with him in charge so, personally, I didn't mind him having a little pop at the fans because he proved them wrong.

Let's not forget that our much-loved captain at the time also said 'a lot of people had written us off' during that emotional speech with Clem on the pitch at the end of the Braintree semi-final win. He wasn't talking about the media. He was talking about the same section of fans that Hurst was also irritated by.

Hurst bore the brunt of all that vitriol. He protected the players and kept them focused when everyone around them began doubting them. He deserves more than a pat on the back for getting us promoted and those who can't accept that he's been prickly about it since are probably the very fans who gave him stick at the time.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
1mickylyons
February 21, 2019, 12:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from RichMariner
Lack of class? Dunno. Possibly. He's human, and he was doubted by a lot of fans throughout his time here. I remember very clearly that a lot of posters on the Fishy said we'd never go up with him in charge so, personally, I didn't mind him having a little pop at the fans because he proved them wrong.

Let's not forget that our much-loved captain at the time also said 'a lot of people had written us off' during that emotional speech with Clem on the pitch at the end of the Braintree semi-final win. He wasn't talking about the media. He was talking about the same section of fans that Hurst was also irritated by.

Hurst bore the brunt of all that vitriol. He protected the players and kept them focused when everyone around them began doubting them. He deserves more than a pat on the back for getting us promoted and those who can't accept that he's been prickly about it since are probably the very fans who gave him stick at the time.

As fan`s though Rich when it comes to judging a Manager the Town fan`s in the main are a pretty patient bunch.Yes at times he was challenged by large parts of the fanbase especially his lack of a plan B however like I pointed out previously in the main he was still backed with decent ticket sales . Slade was in my opinion a far more deserving cause of grief due to his poor style of play and outdated tactics and the fans soon voted with their feet. MJ had a wobble earlier this Season but is held in pretty high esteem by most of the fanbase and when his next tough period comes along hopefully again they will stick with him and the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
sam gy
February 21, 2019, 1:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Listened to the whole interview and thought he came across really well, open and honest.

Some people making a mountain of a molehill from one sentence/incident...feel like the only ones who get offended by this are probably the fans he's referring to.

As for only getting promoted because he had to replace Monkhouse...what about the fact that he was in the team for the majority of the season, pretty much all of which we were in the playoff places for? And the 8 goals and 3 assists he provided in that time?

Will never ever understand a fan who thinks its a good idea to slag off the team/manager whilst we're about to go into the second leg of a playoff semi final.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
fishboyUTM
February 21, 2019, 1:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
The Halifax away thing. How can he not expect to be criticised after being 4-0 down at half time to a team you'd beaten 7-0 a few weeks earlier? We had fallen away (again) and our challenge for the only automatic promotion place was all but over.

Anyway, he's gone. I'm glad, he had six years and if it wasn't for some defender pulling Josh Gowling's shirt, we'd probably still be there now. He has to realise that in the Internet age, there are thousands of would be managers out there, all with an opinion. Rightly or wrongly, the media side of the job is so important and he didn't help himself in that respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
ginnywings
February 21, 2019, 1:32pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
This is clearly a case of the Telewag cherry picking bits and pieces from what was a pretty long interview. It's had the desired effect of people clicking on their site, which is what they intended.

I was not a fan of Hurst and as Imperial says, he lacked a bit of class sometimes, but i listened to the entire interview and thought he came across well in the main. The club came out of it worse, but no-one is mentioning that. Had they backed him, he probably wouldn't have left, and even fans like me who were not fans of his, thought he had earned the right to have a crack in league football with a bigger budget and better back room staff. Unfortunately, the club thought otherwise, hastening his departure and two years of turmoil. They then gave to Slade what Hurst had asked for. Go figure!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
FishOutOfWater
February 21, 2019, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from fishboyUTM
The Halifax away thing. How can he not expect to be criticised after being 4-0 down at half time to a team you'd beaten 7-0 a few weeks earlier? We had fallen away (again) and our challenge for the only automatic promotion place was all but over.

Anyway, he's gone. I'm glad, he had six years and if it wasn't for some defender pulling Josh Gowling's shirt, we'd probably still be there now. He has to realise that in the Internet age, there are thousands of would be managers out there, all with an opinion. Rightly or wrongly, the media side of the job is so important and he didn't help himself in that respect.

Three years ago yesterday that Halifax episode ( it was 3-0 at HT btw ) and it's still a talking point for many

It wasn't pretty football on the day and it was an even less pretty performance on the terraces ( with the "We know what we are... 'king spoilt" song being sung loud and clear from behind the goal plus the alleged racism against Toto )

Was it something that galvanised the manager and the team afterwards because they as well as Hurst must have been well aware of the wrath of a substantial number of fans that day, so knew what lie in wait if they failed to get us up... who knows but in the grand scheme of things they/we carried on and got the promotion.

Would Hurst have stayed on after the end of the season if FGR had won the final? We just don't know so imho time to leave Hurst and that time behind us...

We now have a positive vibe with Jolley at the helm and long may it continue and dark days such as Halifax will fade into the distance

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 21, 2019, 2:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from sam gy
Listened to the whole interview and thought he came across really well, open and honest.

Some people making a mountain of a molehill from one sentence/incident...feel like the only ones who get offended by this are probably the fans he's referring to.

As for only getting promoted because he had to replace Monkhouse...what about the fact that he was in the team for the majority of the season, pretty much all of which we were in the playoff places for? And the 8 goals and 3 assists he provided in that time?

Will never ever understand a fan who thinks its a good idea to slag off the team/manager whilst we're about to go into the second leg of a playoff semi final.

By the law of averages, if you keep belting the ball 50 yards diagonally across the park onto the same player’s head game after game, eventually something good might happen and those monkeys will have typed the Complete Works of Shakespeare (Will that is).

I listened to the whole of it as well and you can guess the sort of manager he is just by listening. He would rather go 12 games unbeaten with 4 wins and 8 draws than have 8 wins and 4 losses.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
arryarryarry
February 21, 2019, 2:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner_09
If you actually listened to whole interview, he described the away fans in particular as "outstanding" and that the vast majority of fans were very supportive. He then went on to say he left because the budget didn't increase significantly and he didn't get the off pitch stuff he wanted. He went out of his way to say that was nothing to do with a small majority of fans. Please stop this anti-Hurst, Hurst hating fans agenda, it's not true!

Really?

You sound like a remoaner.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
Marinerz93
February 21, 2019, 2:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Fcuk the telewag, the only people I know who buy the telewag are old age pensioners who remember the old days when the local paper was worth reading nowadays it's not fit to wipe anyone bottom, let alone grace a bag of fish and chips.

The only thing the telewag is good for is Deja Moo for all the recycled bullshit it continually prints.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst in the Telewag

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.