grimsby pete
November 7, 2018, 3:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Dan
What a stupid thread, a load of bored retirees thinking they can club together to buy out JF. Not only is it never going to happen, nor should it. No one one here has any idea how to run the club. I mean I'm not sure that JF does either, but at least there's only one of him.

Who said anything about running the club ?

I am sure we could fund a suitable businessman who would know how to do a better job than Fenty has done over the last 17 years.

Plus how do you know that businessman is not a poster on here.?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 105
ska face
November 7, 2018, 3:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,643
Gold Stars: 840
6 pages and counting of the usual chat, millions of ideas addressing a problem that hasn’t even been identified.

We need clarity, first and foremost.

What is the price, Councillor Fenty?

What happens after that is something for another time. We need to know the price before anyone wastes any more time worrying about raffle tickets and share issues.

One question. One answer. What is the price?
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 105
golfer
November 7, 2018, 3:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Dan
What a stupid thread, a load of bored retirees thinking they can club together to buy out JF. Not only is it never going to happen, nor should it. No one one here has any idea how to run the club. I mean I'm not sure that JF does either, but at least there's only one of him.

Looks like it's you and I Dan against the dreamers. Pretty obvious you went to the same University of Common Sense as me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 105
H19P1
November 7, 2018, 3:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Quoted from golfer

Looks like it's you and I Dan against the dreamers. Pretty obvious you went to the same University of Common Sense as me.

So Golfer and Dan, seen as you both have that much common sense 🙄 how would you address the situation we’re finding ourselves in?

I’m sure you guys aren’t just happy to plod along and watch us go down the pan, or are you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 105
hazdy
November 7, 2018, 3:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +15
Ok. Let's say you're a lottery winner/ successful business guy and have a few million in the bank.
JF says he wants £2M for the club and another £2M for his loans. You're a fan, so you think maybe it's worth it.
On the other hand, what could you do with £4 Million?

Let's look at the value/ assets of GTFC.
1) It's not the ground. Possibly a little bit in the land, but it's in the order of £100,000's, not millions.
2) It's not in the playing staff. We don't have any more Omars ready to sell on for any sort of money. The rest are a liability (in wages terms that is).
3) It's not in the equipment/ facilities, unless you want to stick everything on eBay for coppers.

So, the only asset the club has is the few thousand fans who turn up to be sadly disappointed most weeks, in the hope that we will somehow be just slightly better than two other clubs in the division. The fans only come to GTFC due to the history of the club, not the ground. It's only this tenuous and slightly nebulous link that keeps the club in business. Is that worth £4M? Especially if the fans leave to do something else on a Saturday. If the fans decided to start supporting another local team (not a current rival), GTFC would be gone and possibly that leaden weight we carry around with us most weekends would also be gone.

If you had that £4M to spend, wouldn't it be better spent on another local club like Cleethorpes Town where it could immediately be used to improve the playing staff and matchday experience, rather than pay off a director who has devalued his own product to the extent it's basically worthless? It would also be a heck of a lot more fun beating teams on the way up than going to BP.

If the fans can somehow put the massive funds together to pay off JF, then why not use it to start a Phoenix club instead? Just because GTFC is still technically in business, it doesn't mean Grimsby AFC can't gain league status. It took 9 years from Wimbledon's re-formation to get back into the league. Where will GTFC be in 9 year's time?

Ideally, I would like JF to manage a process where he gives the club to the Trust for free and writes off his loans. If he doesn't and 3,000 Town fans decided to go to watch Cleethorpes next home game it would be a hell of a message - that is; his money invested is only worth something when we turn up to watch.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 105
H19P1
November 7, 2018, 3:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
A statement is definitely required for the board to listen. Whatever it takes but needs the majority to follow.

Do Cleethorpes Town have home fixtures same time as GTFC?

I get the idea but it needs everyone to be onboard
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 105
golfer
November 7, 2018, 4:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Aye..and the new team could play at B.P. until the stadium down Freeman Street is ready.  I can't take any more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 105
H19P1
November 7, 2018, 4:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
Aye..and the new team could play at B.P. until the stadium down Freeman Street is ready.  I can't take any more.

Why do you have plenty of objections but no ideas to anyone’s comments about the concerns about our club?

You seem very active on here but only pass comment by slamming peoples ideas without suggesting ways to make change yourself.

I would love it for you to make a serious and sensible suggestions about how to improve our club?

It’s difficult I know but go on give it a try, please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 105
golfer
November 7, 2018, 4:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from H19P1
A statement is definitely required for the board to listen. Whatever it takes but needs the majority to follow.

Do Cleethorpes Town have home fixtures same time as GTFC?

I get the idea but it needs everyone to be onboard

There is nothing anybody can do Sam until somebody gets Euromillions up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 105
jock dock tower
November 7, 2018, 4:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Let's look at it realistically. If you'd lent somebody a few quid ten years ago, expecting it back but it never being mentioned again, you'd have long since written it off.

I've said it before, whatever the value of that £2 million over the years John Fenty has had it back by the bucketload in terms of gravitas, free advertising, and a certain kudos that's allowed to him and others like him in such positions. That, spread out over the years would far outweigh the £2 million were you a top organisation looking for the kind of publicity he gets year in, year out.

Walk away from the job John, it's a thankless task, you know it is. You must be sick of the sight of Town fans posting on here day in, day out, about your management of the club. Walk away, but with the proviso that you can be an honorary life time associate of the club. Would naming the Main Stand after you do it?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 105
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fenty - Name Your Price

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.