HertsGTFC
September 25, 2018, 8:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,992
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from MarinerMal

You really need a reassessment of were we are as a football club.

You keep mentioning Yeovil, Newport, FGR, Stevenage, Oldham and Bury as if all we need to do is turn up to beat these clubs. Yeovil, Stevenege, Oldham and Bury were all playing League One while we were non-league. We all know about FGR and their owner and Newport are just a much better run club than we are and have been back in the League longer than we have. All these clubs have good reason to think they have overtaken us. You need to move out of the 80's/90's.

It will take us quite awhile to get back to anywhere near we used to be. This is made much much harder by probably one of the poorest boards in the football league pyramid and a Chairman (in everything but name) who either doesn't have the faintest idea of how to run a football club or has given up caring. If we go down to non-league again, it will be because we are run like a non-league club (and many of them are run better).

Some of us realise this and have altered our expectations accordingly. We don't like defeat anymore than yourself but don't expect all this to be fixed overnight. I can't see us rebuilding as a football club until we are either in a new stadium or someone replaces Fenty and it may well need both things to happen.

What Mal said and....... maybe we could keep a manager for more than a season since returning to the EFL, four in two seasons tells you all you need to know IMHO.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 110
GollyGTFC
September 25, 2018, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,054
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What Mal said and....... maybe we could keep a manager for more than a season since returning to the EFL, four in two seasons tells you all you need to know IMHO.

That should happen if/when we make a decent appointment.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 91 - 110
MuddyWaters
September 25, 2018, 9:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,286
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from MarinerMal

You keep mentioning Yeovil, Newport, FGR, Stevenage, Oldham and Bury as if all we need to do is turn up to beat these clubs. Yeovil, Stevenege, Oldham and Bury were all playing League One while we were non-league. We all know about FGR and their owner and Newport are just a much better run club than we are and have been back in the League longer than we have. All these clubs have good reason to think they have overtaken us. You need to move out of the 80's/90's.

It will take us quite awhile to get back to anywhere near we used to be. This is made much much harder by probably one of the poorest boards in the football league pyramid and a Chairman (in everything but name) who either doesn't have the faintest idea of how to run a football club or has given up caring. If we go down to non-league again, it will be because we are run like a non-league club (and many of them are run better).

Some of us realise this and have altered our expectations accordingly. We don't like defeat anymore than yourself but don't expect all this to be fixed overnight. I can't see us rebuilding as a football club until we are either in a new stadium or someone replaces Fenty and it may well need both things to happen.

I agree with this 100% - but should really have to accept being fifth rate?
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 110
chaos33
September 25, 2018, 9:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,996
Gold Stars: 362
I think a reasonable (maybe even modest) expectation for club and supporters to have is that we should be able to compete at this level. To at least hold our own in L2. Seems an acceptable baseline to me. Last season we were below this and we are so far this.

Objectives and ambitions are a separate thing in my mind. We should be striving to compete at the top and trying to get promoted over the medium to longer term, with associated off field improvements, shall we say.

What we had last season (barring the Jolley phase at the end), and now this season isn't acceptable to anyone I shouldn't think.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 110
MarinerMal
September 25, 2018, 12:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Just to make it clear, I don't think recent performances are acceptable and I don't and never have thought they Jolley would be the answer to all our problems.

I did think at the start of the season we would have a tough start and, being honest, it's gone even worse than I anticipated. However, I also thought we would improve as the season wore on, possibly looking at mid table. Looking how things stand at this moment in time even that may look too high but that is the beauty of football, it can all change very quickly.

I am not saying those who don't think Jolley can cut it are wrong, just that, IMO, it is still too early to say, despite the worrying current form. The season is still young and there will be plenty of time later to ponder a change in management if needed. That time is just not yet and to my mind people are just panicking a little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 110
MuddyWaters
September 25, 2018, 12:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal
Just to make it clear, I don't think recent performances are acceptable and I don't and never have thought they Jolley would be the answer to all our problems.

I did think at the start of the season we would have a tough start and, being honest, it's gone even worse than I anticipated. However, I also thought we would improve as the season wore on, possibly looking at mid table. Looking how things stand at this moment in time even that may look too high but that is the beauty of football, it can all change very quickly.

I am not saying those who don't think Jolley can cut it are wrong, just that, IMO, it is still too early to say, despite the worrying current form. The season is still young and there will be plenty of time later to ponder a change in management if needed. That time is just not yet and to my mind people are just panicking a little.

Panicking, concerned or worried, the problem is that we’ve seen it way too often for far too long
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 110
HertsGTFC
September 25, 2018, 1:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,992
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That should happen if/when we make a decent appointment.

Or give a manager enough to attract the right talent?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 110
Bigdog
September 25, 2018, 1:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MarinerMal

I don't need any condescending advice from you about reassessing exactly where we are, as I know who we are and why, nor am I stuck in the 80s and 90s..

Again.. putting words in my mouth. I didn't say all we had to do was turn up to beat them, what I indicated was that we haven't even competed well against these clubs in the past twenty years and should have picked up more than 0 points out of 18 if something wasn't so seriously wrong at our club. If you look through my posts in no uncertain terms do I think we should be competing higher than this division with how we are set up but however badly managed I do think we have enough tools to compete better than we are. And then you've answered yourself the root cause of the key theme in my original post which I was alluding to. Took you a while for you to get there and you should have done so without misquoting me or putting words in my mouth or jumping on my back as you always seem to do. My question to you is.. do you personally carry on keep shrugging your shoulders saying we are where we are and handing out sage lectures about what we all know and feel already, or do you raise your voice and say this is unacceptable?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 110
MarinerMal
September 25, 2018, 3:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Bigdog

I don't need any condescending advice from you about reassessing exactly where we are, as I know who we are and why, nor am I stuck in the 80s and 90s..

Again.. putting words in my mouth. I didn't say all we had to do was turn up to beat them, what I indicated was that we haven't even competed well against these clubs in the past twenty years and should have picked up more than 0 points out of 18 if something wasn't so seriously wrong at our club. If you look through my posts in no uncertain terms do I think we should be competing higher than this division with how we are set up but however badly managed I do think we have enough tools to compete better than we are. And then you've answered yourself the root cause of the key theme in my original post which I was alluding to. Took you a while for you to get there and you should have done so without misquoting me or putting words in my mouth or jumping on my back as you always seem to do. My question to you is.. do you personally carry on keep shrugging your shoulders saying we are where we are and handing out sage lectures about what we all know and feel already, or do you raise your voice and say this is unacceptable?

Again... I wasn't putting any words in your mouth it was just the inference from your the words in your posts and I wasn't the only one who inferred such meaning given rancido's post. But I don't want to get in a t1t-4-tat exchange on who said what. If I misrepresenting what you were trying to say, I apologise.

We all know the root cause of the issue with this club, I think we are in agreement there and we can agree that results certainly haven't been acceptable as they haven't for the past 12 months. However, the club made a decision to appoint a young, hungry, possibly up and coming manager to help build a side. However much we may want to change our status now, the truth is it is going to take a while to do that. Hence, IMO, we need more patience and a little less gnashing of teeth after each defeat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 110
MuddyWaters
September 25, 2018, 4:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal

Again... I wasn't putting any words in your mouth it was just the inference from your the words in your posts and I wasn't the only one who inferred such meaning given rancido's post. But I don't want to get in a t1t-4-tat exchange on who said what. If I misrepresenting what you were trying to say, I apologise.

We all know the root cause of the issue with this club, I think we are in agreement there and we can agree that results certainly haven't been acceptable as they haven't for the past 12 months. However, the club made a decision to appoint a young, hungry, possibly up and coming manager to help build a side. However much we may want to change our status now, the truth is it is going to take a while to do that. Hence, IMO, we need more patience and a little less gnashing of teeth after each defeat.

You can't just go on losing lamely though can you? I like Jolley in many ways but the Team News thread on Saturday once the team was announced basically predicted the outcome and it was always going to be Grimsby nil.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Michael  Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.