Abdul19
September 16, 2018, 7:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from GrimRob
We had 14 points from 11 games last season at the end of September and a GD of -4. We have 5 from 8 now and -10 GD. We have to win the next 3 games to equal last season's effort, yet everyone says we are definitely a better team  

I'm guessing the people who've used last season's team as a yardstick aren't specifically referring to the first 8 games of it. They're probably thinking about that spell of 5 points from 57 at the start of the year.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2018, 7:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from topuphere666
I’m at a loss how he got one of our worst ever teams to perform a miracle last season but this year with ‘his’ squad we’re Arguably worse than last.

Err...Not tempting fate but the Slade run of defeats was nigh on a record at the wrong end of the season so Jolley has a way to match that.

Agreed though it is a virtual team rebuild from that one and the resemblance to performances is horribly uncanny it needs addressing ASAP.

Bet Slade is sat at home laughing his balderdash off probably rang his mate John up and said.... See John I told you it wasn't me it's them basturds they forced me out, keep trying to force you out and will force Jolley out.

What joy being a Mariner fan

"No one likes us but we don't care."                                              UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
rancido
September 16, 2018, 9:18am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from denni266
What beats me is how a financial banker or what ever..with a few , what seem to be useless badges can tell seasoned  so called pro footballers how to play, Its like a gas man telling me how to re wire a house , His  experiance is virtually nil  and will be seen as just that by the players.. some have said that he has lost the dressing room and players are not doing as he says,, am beginning to wonder if he ever had it this season. Its showed through in todays interview that he didnt realy know what to say , and i dont think for one minute he knows what to do

I'm sorry but this is a typical attitude from " old hands " completely disregarding new ideas and modern innovations in the work place. I say this as a 70 year old so it's not as if I'm a youngster trying to belittle the older generation. All my working life I've experienced older, more experienced people totally rejecting new techniques because " that's not the we  used to do it ". Every industry , and football is an industry, evolves , develops and embraces new approaches.
The analogy you quote is totally irrelevant as in that instance you have one tradesman telling somebody in a different trade how to do a job. It's rather interesting you mentioned a gasman as I have a close friend who did his apprenticeship with East Midlands Gas in the mid 60's and he often recalls how the " old hands " would frequently dismiss the new  techniques as "not how we were taught ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
dapperz fun pub
September 16, 2018, 9:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It does make you wonder. Not sure how gnarled senior pros like Collins, Woolford, Pringle & Welsh accept orders from Limbrick, Forrest & young Greg.

Very relevant point I’m told
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
louth_in_the_south
September 16, 2018, 9:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,687
Gold Stars: 96
There’s a coup in the air I can smell it

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
sam gy
September 16, 2018, 9:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Last season when he came in, those first few games he had us trying to over complicate things and we were just as bad. It’s only when he made things simpler and actually played to the players strength we began to pick up points.

He needs to do that now. Stop trying to play it out from the back if we haven’t got the players. Start playing in a formation they understand. We’re not Man City, this is league 2.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 16, 2018, 10:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from sam gy
Last season when he came in, those first few games he had us trying to over complicate things and we were just as bad. It’s only when he made things simpler and actually played to the players strength we began to pick up points.

He needs to do that now. Stop trying to play it out from the back if we haven’t got the players. Start playing in a formation they understand. We’re not Man City, this is league 2.

Think that’s the nail and head put together quite well Sam. MJ certainly envisaged playing with 3 at the back with good technical players in front of them playing good football on the ground with bags of movement, interchange and pace. Would have been great if it came off but the respective players brought in are just not capable of playing in this manner not least because our “back three” are not good enough, midfield, other than Rose are too lightweight and easily knocked off the ball, Welsh understandably lacks the ability to get round the pitch and so far, other than the odd cameo, we have nobody capable of playing in wide positions who can trouble the opposition and deliver quality crosses.

That said on the odd occasions we see good crosses from open play we have at most one player in the box and to date none of those have been good in the air.

All in all does not add up to having put together a group of players with the ability to play his desired approach add to this the constant tinkering and total blind faith shown in Collins and Woolford and you may have some explanation for this “alleged” dressing room unrest.

Following a familiar pattern with the appointment of Newell, the avoidance of relegation, great euphoria and anticipation, take 1-0 lead in first game of following season and at half time all agree the messiah has finally returned. Let’s hope this has a much different ending.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
jungleland
September 16, 2018, 10:22am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +124
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Very relevant point I’m told

I think this could be right  last weekend I spoke to a club employee who claims the atmosphere
Changed in the summer when wilko & Warrington  were forced out     At the time I dismissed this as just sticking up for mates but might be something in it. I hope not tho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2018, 12:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from sam gy

What do you mean like the big hoof from the back?

Yeah that would work a treat against teams with five-foot feck all defenders.

Unfortunately, most teams have six foot plus defenders who lap this up all day long against our small attack force have you not notice this over the last season and a half?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
headingly_mariner
September 16, 2018, 3:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
His interviews are dreadful. He needs to open up a bit and actually answer some questions.
His cliches and coached management speak is dreary, as is the faux appreciation of the fans.

He may end up being a decent manager and I certainly think he’s not the problem, but he needs to let his actual personality out in these interviews. He’s like a flipping robot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.