sam gy
September 15, 2018, 7:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from topuphere666
I’m at a loss how he got one of our worst ever teams to perform a miracle last season.

Wilko?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
Teesknees
September 15, 2018, 7:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from gytone

Funnily enough I heard he'd lost the dressing room a couple of weeks ago, didn't believe it though.

Going by the wet patch on his trousers I think he's lost the toilets too!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from jimgtfc
Worse than last year? Not a chance! We’re poor at the minute but nowhere near last seasons standard. We’ve played a lot of teams in the top half of the league, it’ll even itself out soon.

We might score or we might even draw. Face facts, I can do this 'back to basics' thing too - we can't defend, we can't score, we're always second to second balls & our goalie doesn't command his box. We've got a sh1t ground, a poor training facility, a shoestring budget & a board that has no respect for the fans & has become synonymous with mediocrity (at best). Is that basic enough Mr Jolley?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
RichMariner
September 15, 2018, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,128
Gold Stars: 209
Yeah, it’s a bad start and we seem to be repeating some of the same mistakes we made last season, but this is not as bad as last season. Yet.

Let’s just remember that Jolley has the highest FIFA qualifications and has worked with plenty of people in the game that all have positive things to say about him.

I appreciate that doesn’t always guarantee success on the pitch but it at least shows he has the right foundations to build from. He’s learning too. He’d have learnt a lot from last season so I refuse to believe he’s now weaker. He’s facing new challenges but he’s shown he can adapt and learn quickly. I expect him to do it again now.

The one thing I wouldn’t like to see is him panic like Slade and bring in more loans. That didn’t help our cause one bit.

Jolley has got his squad. We have strikers. He now needs to work out what system benefits them most and get them working on it.

Last season the morale around the club was about as low as it’s ever been. Again, he showed that he could pick it off the floor and improve it in a short amount of time.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sick to death of us struggling and facing the same issues (lack of pace, can’t score, poor defending) so I want to see an improvement. I just think that the board have invested in Jolley’s vision, they’ve backed him by allowing him to bring in his own staff and I think any talk of throwing that all away at this early stage is a bit daft.

I get why fans are angry tonight though. Losing three games by three goals or more isn’t a great sign, but this managerial appointment, more than any other that has come before it, was always going to be a long-term thing.

Sit tight. It might not be plain sailing but I think we need to stick by the bloke, and his team, and not let this negativity fester and and grow translate to the squad.

He knows it’s not been good enough and so will the players.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
fleabag1970
September 15, 2018, 7:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I really hope Jolley is given time but I fear his squad arnt either good enough or clever enough

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
TAGG
September 15, 2018, 8:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 123
I feel like when religious people finally find out there is no god 😇

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
chaos33
September 15, 2018, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We might score or we might even draw. Face facts, I can do this 'back to basics' thing too - we can't defend, we can't score, we're always second to second balls & our goalie doesn't command his box. We've got a sh1t ground, a poor training facility, a shoestring budget & a board that has no respect for the fans & has become synonymous with mediocrity (at best). Is that basic enough Mr Jolley?

It's very difficult to disagree with this as a summary.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2018, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,889
Gold Stars: 225
Felt a bit sorry for him to be honest as he's clearly got good integrity but he sounded really lost, he'll have never been in this position before he could do with a mentor in my honest opinion.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,173
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from sam gy

Wilko?

It does make you wonder. Not sure how gnarled senior pros like Collins, Woolford, Pringle & Welsh accept orders from Limbrick, Forrest & young Greg.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
chaos33
September 15, 2018, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It does make you wonder. Not sure how gnarled senior pros like Collins, Woolford, Pringle & Welsh accept orders from Limbrick, Forrest & young Greg.

Collins and Woolford look well short to me (they are not the only ones), so they can't have too many arguments, whoever is dishing out the orders. Start playing well is my advice to them. Then you can have a view.

Far too many average players in this small squad. That's my opinion. Average players who have a 'decent game' every once in a while. It's not enough.
I genuinely believe that most Town fans will accept a team in transition. A work in progress. Jolley learning his trade if you like, with some mixed results. Win one, lose one, draw one. What we can't take is pathetic, disjointed, gutless performances and 3/4 nil defeats every week, with perpetually weak showings and defeats at home.

Some of us have got to have a bit of pride and demand much, much better than that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.