8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2018, 1:12am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I've been wondering if, as well as the adaptation to playing the ball out the back, whether Jolley has been trying to encourage greater flexibility in his teams. By bringing players out of their comfort zones, is he trying to make players more adaptable? Give them more responsibility? Take a step back to make 2 steps forward.

If that's what he is trying to do, I can see that for a time it will look like organised chaos.

Might fit with the ethos of giving longer term contracts. It's a longer term project which requires resources to be available for longer to truly get it.

Could be a big ask and a brave strategy. But.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
davmariner
September 18, 2018, 1:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Three dreadful performances already this season (FGR, Bury and Oldham). I’m not sure I can remember a poorer start to the season than this.

Realise this will be an unpopular view but I don’t buy this nonsense that Jolley is the saviour or prodigal son. His interviews are terrible. He rolls out the same old tired cliches and waffles on without saying anything.

The team looks unfit, yet he’s brought in all these extra coaches and quite frankly put together an inadequate pre season schedule, which is strange given how much he goes on about players needing match practice before playing first team.

He has no clear structure, players playing all over the place and has a defence that can’t defend and a frontline that can’t score. He’s playing Jordan Cook as the main forward, a player who has previously never had a prolonged run as a striker at any of his previous clubs (because he isn’t one). Poor Harry Clifton has played in four positions so far this season, because he has ‘energy’. What a load of nonsense.

If this were Hurst, Bignot or Slade they’d be crucified.

Jolley is a bullshitter I’m afraid, and I fear that when we finally realise he’s playing at being a manager, the damage will have been done.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
denni266
September 18, 2018, 4:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
Quoted from davmariner
Three dreadful performances already this season (FGR, Bury and Oldham). I’m not sure I can remember a poorer start to the season than this.

Realise this will be an unpopular view but I don’t buy this nonsense that Jolley is the saviour or prodigal son. His interviews are terrible. He rolls out the same old tired cliches and waffles on without saying anything.

The team looks unfit, yet he’s brought in all these extra coaches and quite frankly put together an inadequate pre season schedule, which is strange given how much he goes on about players needing match practice before playing first team.

He has no clear structure, players playing all over the place and has a defence that can’t defend and a frontline that can’t score. He’s playing Jordan Cook as the main forward, a player who has previously never had a prolonged run as a striker at any of his previous clubs (because he isn’t one). Poor Harry Clifton has played in four positions so far this season, because he has ‘energy’. What a load of nonsense.

Jolley is a bullshitter I’m afraid, and I fear that when we finally realise he’s playing at being a manager, the damage will have been done.

Cannot agree more at this moment in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
Mrs Doyle
September 18, 2018, 4:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from davmariner

Any chance of you doing the job then? Clifton tries hard but he is a long way from being a local hero until we start to win a few games this shitt will continue but I'm sticking by the manager and team.                                                     UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
monkeyboy
September 18, 2018, 6:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Seriously though only 8 games in and its meltdown lol. I could understand if it was 23.

Think some people really need to give there heads a wobble.  

It has been a bad start yes but we have been very unlucky with players out etc, and some of the games people are crying about we didnt actually play particularly bad just a few defensive errors.

Hopefully by Christmas we can be sat in mid to higher in the table but will still have people moaning cos were arent on 300 points beating teams 10-0  with only 5 men playing in flip flops.

Rome was not built in a day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
Abdul19
September 18, 2018, 7:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from davmariner
I’m not sure I can remember a poorer start to the season than this.

Only 08/09 has provided fewer points from the first 8 games in the last 16 seasons.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
diehardmariner
September 18, 2018, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,064
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from davmariner

Whilst I still back Jolley and am not advocating a change at this stage, more in hope than belief at present that he'll turn it around, it's very hard to disagree with the above.  
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
TownSNAFU5
September 18, 2018, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We have suffered from a lot of bad luck this season, in different areas.  More than our fair share.  Bad luck is something a team should avoid at all costs.

Cook went off injured early on Sat when he was playing well and we lost some forward threat.  If 2 goal Surridge had gone off injured instead.............That was not to be.

Other bad luck:
Not getting the players we were after pre-season;
Numerous previous injuries this season and lack of fitness in some players;
Current injuries (Cardwell, Walsh, Fox and RHJ).  (We are without "an alternative forward, our captain and 2 fullbacks);
a controversial sending off and ban for Thomas; and even
losing a player to represent England - not usual at this level.

Even more important than normal that this bad luck needs to be mitigated by excellent decisions made by the manager.  This action is critical to avoid the league position we are in now.   This management input has not happened of course.  We should be making the maximum use of our available resources.

He has picked the wrong players and in the wrong positions at teams.  Playing the wrong tactics and formations often not suited to the players on the day.  Players are in and out of the team, with no opportunity to work together.   His use of subs is questionable at times.

Last Sat Oldham stepped up in the second half and had 3 or 4 chances down their left before they scored.  
It was likely that they were going to score - and they did.  Jolley did not do anything to try and stop this.

Perhaps he should say the opposite in his HT team talks.  We struggle far more in the second half.

Jolley needs to work on the factors that he can control and improve (ignore any bad luck).  Primarily his judgement of playing matters.  He is a new manager so deserves some slack.  Time is running out though unless he gets the team playing better and results improve.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2018, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We have suffered from a lot of bad luck this season, in different areas.  More than our fair share.  Bad luck is something a team should avoid at all costs.

Cook went off injured early on Sat when he was playing well and we lost some forward threat.  If 2 goal Surridge had gone off injured instead.............That was not to be.

Other bad luck:
Not getting the players we were after pre-season;
Numerous previous injuries this season and lack of fitness in some players;
Current injuries (Cardwell, Walsh, Fox and RHJ).  (We are without "an alternative forward, our captain and 2 fullbacks);
a controversial sending off and ban for Thomas; and even
losing a player to represent England - not usual at this level.

Even more important than normal that this bad luck needs to be mitigated by excellent decisions made by the manager.  This action is critical to avoid the league position we are in now.   This management input has not happened of course.  We should be making the maximum use of our available resources.

He has picked the wrong players and in the wrong positions at teams.  Playing the wrong tactics and formations often not suited to the players on the day.  Players are in and out of the team, with no opportunity to work together.   His use of subs is questionable at times.

Last Sat Oldham stepped up in the second half and had 3 or 4 chances down their left before they scored.  
It was likely that they were going to score - and they did.  Jolley did not do anything to try and stop this.

Perhaps he should say the opposite in his HT team talks.  We struggle far more in the second half.

Jolley needs to work on the factors that he can control and improve (ignore any bad luck).  Primarily his judgement of playing matters.  He is a new manager so deserves some slack.  Time is running out though unless he gets the team playing better and results improve.  

I fail to see how player recruitment has anything to do with 'bad luck'
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
Garth
September 18, 2018, 3:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Two more heavy defeats at home and he`s gone IMO, its alright talking a good game but you have to show some signs of improvement.
I do like the guy and hope he can turn it around but, 4700 minus 800 Oldham and minus 3000 season ticket holders = 900 who bothered to pay to watch, you can`t fanny around with those figures for too long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.