8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 5:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,884
Gold Stars: 230
Asking for consistency - we are consistent - consistently poor, year in, year out. That's not his fault, he's just the latest on the roster of managers.
Private Message
arryarryarry
September 15, 2018, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Asking for consistency - we are consistent - consistently poor, year in, year out. That's not his fault, he's just the latest on the roster of managers.

This season is his fault, his players his tactics.

If we are in the bottom two come end of October then we should be looking elsewhere.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 72
topuphere666
September 15, 2018, 5:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
I’m at a loss how he got one of our worst ever teams to perform a miracle last season but this year with ‘his’ squad we’re Arguably worse than last.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

This season is his fault, his players his tactics.

If we are in the bottom two come end of October then we should be looking elsewhere.

His players, his tactics? Yes, looking very questionable but we are the same every year, squad overhaul and a poor start and we're behind the 8 ball five weeks into a season. The board need to look at themselves and ask how much longer they can expect a shoestring budget to fulfil the aspirations of the fans and a new stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 72
ROKERITE
September 15, 2018, 5:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from topuphere666
I’m at a loss how he got one of our worst ever teams to perform a miracle last season but this year with ‘his’ squad we’re Arguably worse than last.

This team produced three good performances and results following the opening day debacle so the subsequent decline can be reversed. Let's hope MJ can get them back on track next week but the Morecambe game in a fortnight looks a big one already.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 72
denni266
September 15, 2018, 5:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
I  think he is lost.. his defence is shot and his forwards cannot score , only one way we are going . pray there is worse than us again
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 72
TAGG
September 15, 2018, 6:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 72
Yoda
September 15, 2018, 6:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,976
Gold Stars: 65
He’s lost the dressing room the players like an ex professional not a banker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 72
gytone
September 15, 2018, 6:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Yoda
He’s lost the dressing room the players like an ex professional not a banker.

Funnily enough I heard he'd lost the dressing room a couple of weeks ago, didn't believe it though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 72
jimgtfc
September 15, 2018, 6:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
Worse than last year? Not a chance! We’re poor at the minute but nowhere near last seasons standard. We’ve played a lot of teams in the top half of the league, it’ll even itself out soon.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 72
sam gy
September 15, 2018, 7:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from topuphere666
I’m at a loss how he got one of our worst ever teams to perform a miracle last season.

Wilko?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 72
Teesknees
September 15, 2018, 7:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from gytone

Funnily enough I heard he'd lost the dressing room a couple of weeks ago, didn't believe it though.

Going by the wet patch on his trousers I think he's lost the toilets too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 7:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jimgtfc
Worse than last year? Not a chance! We’re poor at the minute but nowhere near last seasons standard. We’ve played a lot of teams in the top half of the league, it’ll even itself out soon.

We might score or we might even draw. Face facts, I can do this 'back to basics' thing too - we can't defend, we can't score, we're always second to second balls & our goalie doesn't command his box. We've got a sh1t ground, a poor training facility, a shoestring budget & a board that has no respect for the fans & has become synonymous with mediocrity (at best). Is that basic enough Mr Jolley?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 72
RichMariner
September 15, 2018, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Yeah, it’s a bad start and we seem to be repeating some of the same mistakes we made last season, but this is not as bad as last season. Yet.

Let’s just remember that Jolley has the highest FIFA qualifications and has worked with plenty of people in the game that all have positive things to say about him.

I appreciate that doesn’t always guarantee success on the pitch but it at least shows he has the right foundations to build from. He’s learning too. He’d have learnt a lot from last season so I refuse to believe he’s now weaker. He’s facing new challenges but he’s shown he can adapt and learn quickly. I expect him to do it again now.

The one thing I wouldn’t like to see is him panic like Slade and bring in more loans. That didn’t help our cause one bit.

Jolley has got his squad. We have strikers. He now needs to work out what system benefits them most and get them working on it.

Last season the morale around the club was about as low as it’s ever been. Again, he showed that he could pick it off the floor and improve it in a short amount of time.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sick to death of us struggling and facing the same issues (lack of pace, can’t score, poor defending) so I want to see an improvement. I just think that the board have invested in Jolley’s vision, they’ve backed him by allowing him to bring in his own staff and I think any talk of throwing that all away at this early stage is a bit daft.

I get why fans are angry tonight though. Losing three games by three goals or more isn’t a great sign, but this managerial appointment, more than any other that has come before it, was always going to be a long-term thing.

Sit tight. It might not be plain sailing but I think we need to stick by the bloke, and his team, and not let this negativity fester and and grow translate to the squad.

He knows it’s not been good enough and so will the players.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 72
fleabag1970
September 15, 2018, 7:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I really hope Jolley is given time but I fear his squad arnt either good enough or clever enough

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 72
TAGG
September 15, 2018, 8:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
I feel like when religious people finally find out there is no god 😇

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 72
chaos33
September 15, 2018, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We might score or we might even draw. Face facts, I can do this 'back to basics' thing too - we can't defend, we can't score, we're always second to second balls & our goalie doesn't command his box. We've got a sh1t ground, a poor training facility, a shoestring budget & a board that has no respect for the fans & has become synonymous with mediocrity (at best). Is that basic enough Mr Jolley?

It's very difficult to disagree with this as a summary.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 72
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2018, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,652
Gold Stars: 217
Felt a bit sorry for him to be honest as he's clearly got good integrity but he sounded really lost, he'll have never been in this position before he could do with a mentor in my honest opinion.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 15, 2018, 8:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

Wilko?

It does make you wonder. Not sure how gnarled senior pros like Collins, Woolford, Pringle & Welsh accept orders from Limbrick, Forrest & young Greg.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 72
chaos33
September 15, 2018, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It does make you wonder. Not sure how gnarled senior pros like Collins, Woolford, Pringle & Welsh accept orders from Limbrick, Forrest & young Greg.

Collins and Woolford look well short to me (they are not the only ones), so they can't have too many arguments, whoever is dishing out the orders. Start playing well is my advice to them. Then you can have a view.

Far too many average players in this small squad. That's my opinion. Average players who have a 'decent game' every once in a while. It's not enough.
I genuinely believe that most Town fans will accept a team in transition. A work in progress. Jolley learning his trade if you like, with some mixed results. Win one, lose one, draw one. What we can't take is pathetic, disjointed, gutless performances and 3/4 nil defeats every week, with perpetually weak showings and defeats at home.

Some of us have got to have a bit of pride and demand much, much better than that.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 72
GrimRob
September 15, 2018, 9:10pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
We had 14 points from 11 games last season at the end of September and a GD of -4. We have 5 from 8 now and -10 GD. We have to win the next 3 games to equal last season's effort, yet everyone says we are definitely a better team  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 72
denni266
September 15, 2018, 9:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
What beats me is how a financial banker or what ever..with a few , what seem to be useless badges can tell seasoned  so called pro footballers how to play, Its like a gas man telling me how to re wire a house , His  experiance is virtually nil  and will be seen as just that by the players.. some have said that he has lost the dressing room and players are not doing as he says,, am beginning to wonder if he ever had it this season. Its showed through in todays interview that he didnt realy know what to say , and i dont think for one minute he knows what to do
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 72
sapper mariner
September 15, 2018, 9:18pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
just watched the interview. Can talk without saying alot

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 72
GrimRob
September 15, 2018, 9:19pm

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 23 - 72
HertsGTFC
September 15, 2018, 9:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,652
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from denni266
What beats me is how a financial banker or what ever..with a few , what seem to be useless badges can tell seasoned  so called pro footballers how to play, Its like a gas man telling me how to re wire a house , His  experiance is virtually nil  and will be seen as just that by the players.. some have said that he has lost the dressing room and players are not doing as he says,, am beginning to wonder if he ever had it this season. Its showed through in todays interview that he didnt realy know what to say , and i dont think for one minute he knows what to do

I take it when you say "some" that refers to people who are not in and around the dressing room? The "useless badges" are internationally recognized and according to most former pros or experienced managers really difficult to earn.  

Ask yourself this are you a supporter or a fan? If it's the former then do what you do best get behind the manager and the side if it's the latter carry on getting on the backs of people who will be working really hard to get things right.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 72
GrimRob
September 15, 2018, 9:29pm

Quoted from denni266

He's proved himself and worked his way up to get to consideration for this job. I have a lot more respect for people like him (and Slade) who weren't pro-footballers and have had to prove themselves working their way up through the leagues. Just because someone was good at kicking a football and can talk knowledgeably in front of a camera doesn't mean they have mastered the art of management (e.g. Gary Neville).

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 25 - 72
denni266
September 15, 2018, 9:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I take it when you say "some" that refers to people who are not in and around the dressing room? The "useless badges" are internationally recognized and according to most former pros or experienced managers really difficult to earn.  

Ask yourself this are you a supporter or a fan? If it's the former then do what you do best get behind the manager and the side if it's the latter carry on getting on the backs of people who will be working really hard to get things right.

1 yes been said on here a few times,
2  Supporter ? if you mean someone that has been going since before they put the current floodlights up  then yes....and i dont doubt for one minute that people are working hard to put things right, just it is plain that it is not working and all these badges are as much use as putting an ashtray on my motorbike .....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 72
Swansea_Mariner
September 15, 2018, 9:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,385
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from denni266

By this logic managers like José Mourinho  and Roy Hodgson would by excrement while Paul Gascoigne would be managing Barcelona.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 72
petethemariner
September 15, 2018, 10:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Why o Why o Why do we persist leaving no  one up  when we concede a corner? Personally this infuriates me, its just nonsense!, i played long  enough to know if you leave one up, your opponents will bring two back, if you leave no one up
you have no outlet and the ball comes straight  back, not rocket  science Mr Jolley, you are no better than that idiot Slade in that respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 72
KingstonMariner
September 15, 2018, 10:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
We had 14 points from 11 games last season at the end of September and a GD of -4. We have 5 from 8 now and -10 GD. We have to win the next 3 games to equal last season's effort, yet everyone says we are definitely a better team  

Interesting fact Rob.

Trouble is last season we got rid of our best players mid-season. Although we were already on the downward slope that made it irreversible.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 72
Abdul19
September 16, 2018, 7:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from GrimRob

I'm guessing the people who've used last season's team as a yardstick aren't specifically referring to the first 8 games of it. They're probably thinking about that spell of 5 points from 57 at the start of the year.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 72
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2018, 7:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from topuphere666

Err...Not tempting fate but the Slade run of defeats was nigh on a record at the wrong end of the season so Jolley has a way to match that.

Agreed though it is a virtual team rebuild from that one and the resemblance to performances is horribly uncanny it needs addressing ASAP.

Bet Slade is sat at home laughing his balderdash off probably rang his mate John up and said.... See John I told you it wasn't me it's them basturds they forced me out, keep trying to force you out and will force Jolley out.

What joy being a Mariner fan

"No one likes us but we don't care."                                              UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 72
rancido
September 16, 2018, 9:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from denni266

I'm sorry but this is a typical attitude from " old hands " completely disregarding new ideas and modern innovations in the work place. I say this as a 70 year old so it's not as if I'm a youngster trying to belittle the older generation. All my working life I've experienced older, more experienced people totally rejecting new techniques because " that's not the we  used to do it ". Every industry , and football is an industry, evolves , develops and embraces new approaches.
The analogy you quote is totally irrelevant as in that instance you have one tradesman telling somebody in a different trade how to do a job. It's rather interesting you mentioned a gasman as I have a close friend who did his apprenticeship with East Midlands Gas in the mid 60's and he often recalls how the " old hands " would frequently dismiss the new  techniques as "not how we were taught ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 72
dapperz fun pub
September 16, 2018, 9:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,721
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Very relevant point I’m told
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 72
louth_in_the_south
September 16, 2018, 9:41am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Approval: +5,548
Gold Stars: 94
There’s a coup in the air I can smell it

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 72
sam gy
September 16, 2018, 9:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Last season when he came in, those first few games he had us trying to over complicate things and we were just as bad. It’s only when he made things simpler and actually played to the players strength we began to pick up points.

He needs to do that now. Stop trying to play it out from the back if we haven’t got the players. Start playing in a formation they understand. We’re not Man City, this is league 2.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 72
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 16, 2018, 10:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,518
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from sam gy
Last season when he came in, those first few games he had us trying to over complicate things and we were just as bad. It’s only when he made things simpler and actually played to the players strength we began to pick up points.

He needs to do that now. Stop trying to play it out from the back if we haven’t got the players. Start playing in a formation they understand. We’re not Man City, this is league 2.

Think that’s the nail and head put together quite well Sam. MJ certainly envisaged playing with 3 at the back with good technical players in front of them playing good football on the ground with bags of movement, interchange and pace. Would have been great if it came off but the respective players brought in are just not capable of playing in this manner not least because our “back three” are not good enough, midfield, other than Rose are too lightweight and easily knocked off the ball, Welsh understandably lacks the ability to get round the pitch and so far, other than the odd cameo, we have nobody capable of playing in wide positions who can trouble the opposition and deliver quality crosses.

That said on the odd occasions we see good crosses from open play we have at most one player in the box and to date none of those have been good in the air.

All in all does not add up to having put together a group of players with the ability to play his desired approach add to this the constant tinkering and total blind faith shown in Collins and Woolford and you may have some explanation for this “alleged” dressing room unrest.

Following a familiar pattern with the appointment of Newell, the avoidance of relegation, great euphoria and anticipation, take 1-0 lead in first game of following season and at half time all agree the messiah has finally returned. Let’s hope this has a much different ending.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 72
jungleland
September 16, 2018, 10:22am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +121
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Very relevant point I’m told

I think this could be right  last weekend I spoke to a club employee who claims the atmosphere
Changed in the summer when wilko & Warrington  were forced out     At the time I dismissed this as just sticking up for mates but might be something in it. I hope not tho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 72
Mrs Doyle
September 16, 2018, 12:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

What do you mean like the big hoof from the back?

Yeah that would work a treat against teams with five-foot feck all defenders.

Unfortunately, most teams have six foot plus defenders who lap this up all day long against our small attack force have you not notice this over the last season and a half?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 72
headingly_mariner
September 16, 2018, 3:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
His interviews are dreadful. He needs to open up a bit and actually answer some questions.
His cliches and coached management speak is dreary, as is the faux appreciation of the fans.

He may end up being a decent manager and I certainly think he’s not the problem, but he needs to let his actual personality out in these interviews. He’s like a flipping robot.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 72
GrimRob
September 16, 2018, 4:46pm

Quoted from Abdul19

I'm guessing the people who've used last season's team as a yardstick aren't specifically referring to the first 8 games of it. They're probably thinking about that spell of 5 points from 57 at the start of the year.

Agreed, but the corollary of that is that MJ should be given more time. A couple of wins and everyone would be talking of the play-offs again.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 40 - 72
Gaffer58
September 16, 2018, 4:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
I would be interested if anybody on here has any idea what the various badges are about, I assume there will be some type of coaching, e.g.: leaving nobody up when defending a corner, but is most of the badges about dealing with the players on a personal level, contracts moral etc. I once talked to a lad who looked after Lincoln's youths and he commented how one tactic taught was when 1 goal up with only minutes to play you get the ball in the opposing corner to help run the clock down, very innovative!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 72
NorthseaMariner
September 16, 2018, 4:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,517
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from rancido

I'm sorry but this is a typical attitude from " old hands " completely disregarding new ideas and modern innovations in the work place. I say this as a 70 year old so it's not as if I'm a youngster trying to belittle the older generation. All my working life I've experienced older, more experienced people totally rejecting new techniques because " that's not the we  used to do it ". Every industry , and football is an industry, evolves , develops and embraces new approaches.
The analogy you quote is totally irrelevant as in that instance you have one tradesman telling somebody in a different trade how to do a job. It's rather interesting you mentioned a gasman as I have a close friend who did his apprenticeship with East Midlands Gas in the mid 60's and he often recalls how the " old hands " would frequently dismiss the new  techniques as "not how we were taught ".

So true. I had an old Electrical forman who told me,”these electronics are okay, but they’ll never replace relays”. How wrong he was.

Anyway, all this talk of how long due you give MJ. What’s the alternative then? Get another journeyman manager in, on the cheap and he’s going to turn it all around, with a team put together by MJ?

Doesn’t sound a good plan to me. All we can do, is support the team and hope he knows what he’s doing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 72
topuphere666
September 16, 2018, 5:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from denni266

And the Cowley brothers are the leading scorers from La Liga. Jesus Christ.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 72
Ipswin
September 16, 2018, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from NorthseaMariner

What’s the alternative then? Get another journeyman manager in, on the cheap and he’s going to turn it all around, with a team put together by MJ?

We got MJ in on the cheap and he turned it around with a team put together by a journeyman, shame he can't do it with a team he's put together himself

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 72
Ipswin
September 16, 2018, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from denni266

Sadly I think this is very likely correct

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 72
Northbank Mariner
September 16, 2018, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,388
Gold Stars: 170
Ian Holloway is looking for a new challenge!!....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 72
H19P1
September 16, 2018, 6:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
It was never going to be easy but we must give him more time and abit of slack.

The majority knew the risks whilst MJ being favourite for the role and wanted to go against the grain as our next appointment.

Let's try and be patient, i can understand the frustration but let's ride the transition together and hope for an upturn in point scoring soon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 72
geir
September 16, 2018, 6:36pm

Exile
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
We have met a lot of teams who are at the upper end of the table. We have had suspensions and injuries.
If I remember correctly, the first season with Paul Hurst as a manager, in the conference, we ended up as number 16 in the table. We are two wins away from being 16. Please remain calm, we are not going down yet.
I think we owe it to Jolley, considering that he saved us from certain relegation last season, to avoid the panic button and remain calm a little longer.

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2018, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from geir
We have met a lot of teams who are at the upper end of the table. We have had suspensions and injuries.
If I remember correctly, the first season with Paul Hurst as a manager, in the conference, we ended up as number 16 in the table. We are two wins away from being 16. Please remain calm, we are not going down yet.
I think we owe it to Jolley, considering that he saved us from certain relegation last season, to avoid the panic button and remain calm a little longer.

I apologise if you go to home games but, watching the warm-up yesterday, I saw seasoned professionals going through the motions with a young assistant fitness coach (Greg Howard). In the background, Adam Forrest was walking around whilst Anthony Limbrick was kicking the ball around with the mascots.

I've not played sport to a very high level but I have had coaching in other sports by one or two national level coaches - I respected the need to get fit to be the best I could be and, therefore, respected the people coaching me. I may be very wrong but I certainly didn't see any intensity yesterday.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 72
GrimRob
September 16, 2018, 7:25pm

He should just decide on his best XI and stick to it. PH did it and got loads of stick for playing LJL irregardless of his performances, but in the end he was successful. Even RS has a decent spell last season with a settled side. Once managers start to blindly swap and change it's the beginning of the end.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 50 - 72
chaos33
September 16, 2018, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Of course, everyone knows it's easy to stick with a winning team and equally easy to change a losing one. Keep losing easily and he'll keep changing it.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 72
Rodley Mariner
September 16, 2018, 7:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
It doesn't necessarily have to be an identical XI every week but we desperately need some consistency of selection and formation. I want to see something simple like the 4-5-1 we finished last season with or a 4-3-3. We then need a relatively settled team who can get used to it and each other. Back to basics and simplicity has to be the first step.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 72
ginnywings
September 16, 2018, 8:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
To be fair to Jolley, we have had some key injuries and suspensions. One of the areas we keep shuffling are the full backs, with both left backs injured and RHJ missing from the other flank. We are using centre backs to cover those positions, leaving us light in that department. Hendrie i thought looked more than comfortable at full back yesterday and i would say he was our best defender overall. We quickly need to get a settled back four and midfield, another area that has been chopped and changed too much. Losing Cook to another injury was also a blow yesterday, as i think it made us a bit weaker up front. He was buzzing around their back line causing problems before he had to go off. We've also lost a key signing for the whole season before he kicked a ball and lost our captain last week, not to mention Thomas getting banned for 2 games for nothing. He hasn't had a lot of luck so far with establishing a regular first choice eleven.

I feel we have no choice but to let Jolley get on with it and hope to god he can turn it around. I think another season changing a manager and/or fighting a relegation battle, will just about see me off.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 72
chaos33
September 16, 2018, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I think you make some fair points there mate. I'm not anti Jolley at all and I really don't know who to be angry with. I do feel that the squad is mostly populated by average players and short on quality in key areas but I'm not sure I blame the manger for that. I don't want Jolley to be sacked or even put under pressure. I just can't fathom why, whoever manages us, and whoever plays for us, we are mostly sh1t. Especially at home. Like most long time supporters I'm just sick and tired of it. And bewildered.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 72
Croxton
September 16, 2018, 8:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
I was bewitched at FGR and Macclesfield and bothered at Blunder Park too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 72
ginnywings
September 16, 2018, 8:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from chaos33
I think you make some fair points there mate. I'm not anti Jolley at all and I really don't know who to be angry with. I do feel that the squad is mostly populated by average players and short on quality in key areas but I'm not sure I blame the manger for that. I don't want Jolley to be sacked or even put under pressure. I just can't fathom why, whoever manages us, and whoever plays for us, we are mostly sh1t. Especially at home. Like most long time supporters I'm just sick and tired of it. And bewildered.

Yep, i too am perplexed at our seeming inability to even look comfortable at this level, never mind look like we might ever progress toward the top 7. Managers come and go, players come and go, but we remain steadfastly poor to average, which leads one to speculate that there is something else going on. The law of averages surely dictates that somewhere along the line, we get in a manager and set of players that can go out on a football pitch and do the business. Alas, it never materialises and it is becoming increasingly harder and harder to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 72
barralad
September 17, 2018, 11:19am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Because they are exactly that...professionals. This whole thread pays no credence to the possibility that our seniors pros might be regularly included in tactical discussions. Does any good employer/manager in football or outside of it still work on the basis of what I say goes?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 72
diehardmariner
September 17, 2018, 3:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,095
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from sam gy

Ironically the first few months under Guardiola, City were laughed for trying to pass it out from the back and every expert going told us they didn't have the players to play that way - nor would it work in the English game...

We've looked at our best when we've tried to play it out from the back and on the floor.  We've got some fairly decent technical players in the squad so we should play to their strengths.  We don't have a target man or even a proper physical presence up top, playing it long and into the corners is not going to win many games.  

I completely agree Jolley needs to pick a formation and by and large stick with it, the odd tweak is fine but not every week.  The summer was spent recruiting, retaining and developing players to play in a 3-5-2 system.  Ditching it after an early wobble is ludicrous.  

We're either trying to build something for the future here, a style and a philosophy or we're pandering to every whim and will change with the wind because we're frightened of criticism.  Jolley needs to decide which it is, because at the minute we're building nothing and getting tonkings in the process.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 72
oldun
September 17, 2018, 3:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I apologise if you go to home games but, watching the warm-up yesterday, I saw seasoned professionals going through the motions with a young assistant fitness coach (Greg Howard). In the background, Adam Forrest was walking around whilst Anthony Limbrick was kicking the ball around with the mascots.

I've not played sport to a very high level but I have had coaching in other sports by one or two national level coaches - I respected the need to get fit to be the best I could be and, therefore, respected the people coaching me. I may be very wrong but I certainly didn't see any intensity yesterday.

Now that we have all sorts of back room staff including sports science coaches, fitness coaches, etc I am very surprised we have so many out injured  and for so long. Just saying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 72
KingstonMariner
September 18, 2018, 1:12am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I've been wondering if, as well as the adaptation to playing the ball out the back, whether Jolley has been trying to encourage greater flexibility in his teams. By bringing players out of their comfort zones, is he trying to make players more adaptable? Give them more responsibility? Take a step back to make 2 steps forward.

If that's what he is trying to do, I can see that for a time it will look like organised chaos.

Might fit with the ethos of giving longer term contracts. It's a longer term project which requires resources to be available for longer to truly get it.

Could be a big ask and a brave strategy. But.....

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 72
davmariner
September 18, 2018, 1:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,863
Gold Stars: 75
Three dreadful performances already this season (FGR, Bury and Oldham). I’m not sure I can remember a poorer start to the season than this.

Realise this will be an unpopular view but I don’t buy this nonsense that Jolley is the saviour or prodigal son. His interviews are terrible. He rolls out the same old tired cliches and waffles on without saying anything.

The team looks unfit, yet he’s brought in all these extra coaches and quite frankly put together an inadequate pre season schedule, which is strange given how much he goes on about players needing match practice before playing first team.

He has no clear structure, players playing all over the place and has a defence that can’t defend and a frontline that can’t score. He’s playing Jordan Cook as the main forward, a player who has previously never had a prolonged run as a striker at any of his previous clubs (because he isn’t one). Poor Harry Clifton has played in four positions so far this season, because he has ‘energy’. What a load of nonsense.

If this were Hurst, Bignot or Slade they’d be crucified.

Jolley is a bullshitter I’m afraid, and I fear that when we finally realise he’s playing at being a manager, the damage will have been done.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 72
denni266
September 18, 2018, 4:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from davmariner
Three dreadful performances already this season (FGR, Bury and Oldham). I’m not sure I can remember a poorer start to the season than this.

Realise this will be an unpopular view but I don’t buy this nonsense that Jolley is the saviour or prodigal son. His interviews are terrible. He rolls out the same old tired cliches and waffles on without saying anything.

The team looks unfit, yet he’s brought in all these extra coaches and quite frankly put together an inadequate pre season schedule, which is strange given how much he goes on about players needing match practice before playing first team.

He has no clear structure, players playing all over the place and has a defence that can’t defend and a frontline that can’t score. He’s playing Jordan Cook as the main forward, a player who has previously never had a prolonged run as a striker at any of his previous clubs (because he isn’t one). Poor Harry Clifton has played in four positions so far this season, because he has ‘energy’. What a load of nonsense.

Jolley is a bullshitter I’m afraid, and I fear that when we finally realise he’s playing at being a manager, the damage will have been done.

Cannot agree more at this moment in time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 72
Mrs Doyle
September 18, 2018, 4:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Any chance of you doing the job then? Clifton tries hard but he is a long way from being a local hero until we start to win a few games this shitt will continue but I'm sticking by the manager and team.                                                     UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 72
monkeyboy
September 18, 2018, 6:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
Seriously though only 8 games in and its meltdown lol. I could understand if it was 23.

Think some people really need to give there heads a wobble.  

It has been a bad start yes but we have been very unlucky with players out etc, and some of the games people are crying about we didnt actually play particularly bad just a few defensive errors.

Hopefully by Christmas we can be sat in mid to higher in the table but will still have people moaning cos were arent on 300 points beating teams 10-0  with only 5 men playing in flip flops.

Rome was not built in a day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 72
Abdul19
September 18, 2018, 7:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from davmariner
I’m not sure I can remember a poorer start to the season than this.

Only 08/09 has provided fewer points from the first 8 games in the last 16 seasons.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 72
diehardmariner
September 18, 2018, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,095
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from davmariner

Whilst I still back Jolley and am not advocating a change at this stage, more in hope than belief at present that he'll turn it around, it's very hard to disagree with the above.  
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 72
TownSNAFU5
September 18, 2018, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,774
Gold Stars: 41
We have suffered from a lot of bad luck this season, in different areas.  More than our fair share.  Bad luck is something a team should avoid at all costs.

Cook went off injured early on Sat when he was playing well and we lost some forward threat.  If 2 goal Surridge had gone off injured instead.............That was not to be.

Other bad luck:
Not getting the players we were after pre-season;
Numerous previous injuries this season and lack of fitness in some players;
Current injuries (Cardwell, Walsh, Fox and RHJ).  (We are without "an alternative forward, our captain and 2 fullbacks);
a controversial sending off and ban for Thomas; and even
losing a player to represent England - not usual at this level.

Even more important than normal that this bad luck needs to be mitigated by excellent decisions made by the manager.  This action is critical to avoid the league position we are in now.   This management input has not happened of course.  We should be making the maximum use of our available resources.

He has picked the wrong players and in the wrong positions at teams.  Playing the wrong tactics and formations often not suited to the players on the day.  Players are in and out of the team, with no opportunity to work together.   His use of subs is questionable at times.

Last Sat Oldham stepped up in the second half and had 3 or 4 chances down their left before they scored.  
It was likely that they were going to score - and they did.  Jolley did not do anything to try and stop this.

Perhaps he should say the opposite in his HT team talks.  We struggle far more in the second half.

Jolley needs to work on the factors that he can control and improve (ignore any bad luck).  Primarily his judgement of playing matters.  He is a new manager so deserves some slack.  Time is running out though unless he gets the team playing better and results improve.  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 72
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2018, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We have suffered from a lot of bad luck this season, in different areas.  More than our fair share.  Bad luck is something a team should avoid at all costs.

Cook went off injured early on Sat when he was playing well and we lost some forward threat.  If 2 goal Surridge had gone off injured instead.............That was not to be.

Other bad luck:
Not getting the players we were after pre-season;
Numerous previous injuries this season and lack of fitness in some players;
Current injuries (Cardwell, Walsh, Fox and RHJ).  (We are without "an alternative forward, our captain and 2 fullbacks);
a controversial sending off and ban for Thomas; and even
losing a player to represent England - not usual at this level.

Even more important than normal that this bad luck needs to be mitigated by excellent decisions made by the manager.  This action is critical to avoid the league position we are in now.   This management input has not happened of course.  We should be making the maximum use of our available resources.

He has picked the wrong players and in the wrong positions at teams.  Playing the wrong tactics and formations often not suited to the players on the day.  Players are in and out of the team, with no opportunity to work together.   His use of subs is questionable at times.

Last Sat Oldham stepped up in the second half and had 3 or 4 chances down their left before they scored.  
It was likely that they were going to score - and they did.  Jolley did not do anything to try and stop this.

Perhaps he should say the opposite in his HT team talks.  We struggle far more in the second half.

Jolley needs to work on the factors that he can control and improve (ignore any bad luck).  Primarily his judgement of playing matters.  He is a new manager so deserves some slack.  Time is running out though unless he gets the team playing better and results improve.  

I fail to see how player recruitment has anything to do with 'bad luck'
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 72
Garth
September 18, 2018, 3:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Two more heavy defeats at home and he`s gone IMO, its alright talking a good game but you have to show some signs of improvement.
I do like the guy and hope he can turn it around but, 4700 minus 800 Oldham and minus 3000 season ticket holders = 900 who bothered to pay to watch, you can`t fanny around with those figures for too long.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 72
Roast Em Bobby
September 18, 2018, 4:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
I re-watched the first half of the Oldham game again last night and we played pretty well and more half chances than I initially remembered. I know we are not scoring but I really do think our fortunes will turn around once Thomas gets a run of games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 72
Northbank Mariner
September 18, 2018, 4:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,388
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I re-watched the first half of the Oldham game again last night and we played pretty well and more half chances than I initially remembered. I know we are not scoring but I really do think our fortunes will turn around once Thomas gets a run of games.

That was the general consensus of most fans, losing cook disrupted our pressing game even though I expected Vernham to take on that role as a like for like substitution for cook.
It's getting the ball to Thomas that's the problem, I have no doubt if he gets the ball in a decent position he'll knock them in...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 72
MarinerMal
September 19, 2018, 2:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from davmariner

Most of what you are saying is just your perception you are mistaking for fact and getting yourself all worked up about it.

It's still 8 games. Yes, at times, I agree we still look like a team waiting to gel.... but it's still only 8 games.

I think the fixture list has been a little unkind to us. Let's see how the next few games go. A win could do wonders for us and the team could look very different with a bit of confidence.

I'm not saying your opinions are wrong, it's just too early to make any assertions just yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 72
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.