Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 323 Guests

How long is 'transition'?

This thread currently has 9,576 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
September 2, 2018, 7:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from ginnywings
I think if you look at Newport, who were on the verge of relegation 2 seasons ago, before appointing a young manager who saved them from the drop, the parallels are very similar. They had a season last year building on that,  finishing 11th with a negative goal difference, and have started this season very well. It's great for a club when a new manager comes in and hits the ground running like Cowley up the road, but it's usually a longer term project than that for most clubs.

Both have been helped by a slice of “football fortune” with cup runs.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
grimsby pete
September 2, 2018, 7:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
We have 3 new signing to get into the team.

I think when we have a settled side playing a formation that suits us ,

We will starting winning more than we lose,

Another couple of signings in January and 2 or 3 in the summer,

We should be challenging at the top of the league not struggling near the bottom,

We have to improve our home form soon the fans deserve better.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2018, 10:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Yeovil and FGR managers have had at least 5 transfer windows to change their teams.
MJ finished his 1st squad 2 days ago....thats it until January now so we have what we have.
Is the jigsaw complete? it's highly unlikely.
Just get behind the boys as the 12th man. It worked wonders at the end of last season, or was that the Jolley effect? coincidence?

Very good point. Cooper effectively took over after we beat the Vegans at Wembley in 2016. Don't know about Yeovil so can't comment.

And,I don't know what subsidy they get from Ecotricity now, but in two seasons in the Conference FGR ran up losses of £5m. Their owner was prepared and able to make a loss greater than our whole revenue each season (and our gates were 3 times theirs).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
SheepGTFC
September 4, 2018, 1:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 6
I don't care how long this transition period is. Everytime we chop and change we go to excrement. When we stick with a manager they do well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
Mrs Doyle
September 4, 2018, 4:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I am willing to give Jolley a chance just wish the players would do what he says. Clearly, the back four and keeper seem to favour the route one system. This works if you have big strikers with loads of pace.

We should have signed Usain Bolt lol as a G.T. MARINER.

Go on hit those red crosses ya know you want to..................................yeah that's the way lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
LondonMariner43
September 4, 2018, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,949
Gold Stars: 64

With all the new players available and fit we should be mid table and looking up.  We have some good signings just in the door and have had some key players injured, plus 3 red cards.

I’m not sure what will be MJ’s first X1 but it feels like it will have a lot more quality than what we had last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
wiggers
September 4, 2018, 11:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
We just need to give Jolley time. It will come good I’m convinced of it. He has made some good  signings, they all need time to gel. Let’s see where we are by early December. I think we will be closer to the top than the bottom. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
Bigdog
September 4, 2018, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from LH

True, but both Newport and Lincoln haven't sold their star striker for £1m without anything discernable to show for it..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Ipswin
September 4, 2018, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from LH

Newport have been helped by a striker who was not good enough for a decent contract in L2 football

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
September 4, 2018, 12:04pm
Guest User
We badly need a target man. Whether that man is Thomas remains to be seen. We have some good players, Hessenthaler, Cook, Vernam are key additions but I am not sure we have any proper wide players. I don't think MJ will go for a 4-4-2, I think he likes the flexibility and pure numbers of a five man midfield in some format. But you will need wide players in a 3-5-2 (his preferred IMO), or a 4-3-3.

Perhaps with Fox returning, and Hendrie he should give 3-5-2 a real go. It isn't just about formations though, it's about players and do we have the quality to bother the top seven? I honestly don't know, but we've started badly, that much is for sure.
Reply: 69 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.