Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 173 Guests

How long is 'transition'?

This thread currently has 9,558 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Not terribly impressed with our performance today - it had shades of FGR & Rochdale - but after a gin and a bit of time to think, clearly Thomas & Pringle are going to come into the starting 11 and possibly Embleton too. Just wondered what timeline MJ is working to on this - I missed the Lincoln game but have seen the rest and would be interested to know how frustrated others feel?
Private Message
Yoda
September 1, 2018, 7:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,160
Gold Stars: 71
Fenty is working on a 30 year turn around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
sonofmadeleymariner
September 1, 2018, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
I think people expected too much coming into the season after MJ performed last seasons miracle and now that we aren't top of the league with 6 wins from 6 people are getting frustrated. This season was always going to be a rebuild season, we've had some poor luck with injuries I can't help but think Whitehouse was a big part in MJ's plans and his injury was more of a blow then he let on.

We spent preseason playing 532, which after the FGR it was clear we didn't have the personnel to do it and as such we reverted back to 451/433 we ended last season on, so at that point you're installing a new system again with a new set of players so we enter another period of transition, whilst I can understand why we played 442 today as MJ likes to nullify  his opposition when he can its his style by the look of it again you're changing the system.

Hopefully now we've got these new loanees in it means we'll see a more settled side and formation/formations depending on who we play and the results and performances will start to pick up.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
chaos33
September 1, 2018, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 357
I think the disappointing/angering thing is - and this was mentioned by Ginny earlier - that for as long as I can remember, we have been generally inconsistent at home, and often poor. A smattering of good performances or results here and there, season after season, but, more often than not, it seems, we flop. It's this aspect that stops us moving forward with real purpose. Kills momentum and hope. Dissuades fans from coming back or keeping a commitment. Punctures optimism and enthusiasm.

Really poor result today, and that's three out of four at home this season that have been pretty abject. Not good enough and needs to change if we are going to make some sort of impact in this league.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
grimsby pete
September 1, 2018, 7:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Yoda
Fenty is working on a 30 year turn around.

We have to time our promotions so we enter the championship the same time we have our new ground,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
ginnywings
September 1, 2018, 8:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Transition- about 12 years since we last looked like a decent league side. Managers come and go, players come and go, but we remain resolutely poor to average. Hoping Jolley is the one to change things. He will need at least one more window and a good few more games yet, before we can start to judge.

We will see what transpires over the coming season, but i have learned to have low expectations over the last 10 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
moosey_club
September 1, 2018, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,239
Gold Stars: 226
Transition would be easier if we could score goals....we battered Lincoln but they threw everything in the way of us getting a 2nd goal ....we did the same to MK Dons for 45 mins but failed to get the 2nd goal ....today for 20 mins we buzzed around created a couple of good opportunities which were well saved or blocked, Cook fluffed a header from 6 yds to equalise ....any of the above go in and we are 5 points better off straight away.

We tried to play neatly and some good interplay for 20 minutes today and looked good ...but then just totally lost any calmness on the ball and just "kicked" it. Hard to say from my position in the Ponny if Yeovil made a tactical change around that time that prevented us playing or if the team just ran out of steam/ belief but early signs were good.

Our bench didnt exactly whet the appetite so until we are major injury and suspension free then the thinness of the squad will tell also.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
Gaffer58
September 1, 2018, 8:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
We never had a really great home record when we were in the league below (doesn't need naming as were all trying to forget those 6 years) so it could be a Blundell Park thing, if we get our new ground our luck/ fortune may turn  round. Or maybe we have a gypsy curse on us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsby pete

We have to time our promotions so we enter the championship the same time we have our new ground,

Well that's within 5 years according to the solicitor bloke.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
GrimRob
September 1, 2018, 8:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
It took PH a full season to turn things around. But we've never really threatened in this league since Bogle left. If we can't score many sides know they don't have to create that much to beat us. You can change formations and systems until the cows come home but you need a goal scorer.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.