Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 134 Guests

How long is 'transition'?

This thread currently has 9,495 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
September 1, 2018, 10:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't know how embedded your tongue is in your cheek but this is the essence of the problem.

Fenty thought that paying off the tax debt would be his rite of passage whereas it has become the millstone around his neck and he is now desperately trying to claw back his benign loans rather than 'risk' further investment. While all this is going on, there is no news from him, the board or the mighty Extreme about the one thing that might offer a glimpse of a way out. Since Philip Day announced that we would be in the Championship in 5 years there has been nothing from the board - not a peep. By hook or by crook, they've found a bright, articulate manager that they can hide behind - and, guess what, that's exactly what they are doing. Leaders or losers?

Wasn't at all embedded sadly, I meant every word. John Fenty's silence since the last public humiliation has been welcome. I'm certain he has done his best for the club, but I'm also certain it hasn't worked out for whatever reason. We are a joke club, he needs to find a way to leave, publicly stating his demands would be a great start.
Reply: 30 - 81
HertsGTFC
September 1, 2018, 10:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from 75

Never in my life have we been the third best club in Lincolnshire. It's early days, but it really looks that way. That is very sad, humiliating and all under one mans watch. Along with relegation from the football league, two very near relegations from the football league. Countless spats with the media, flag deconstructions, fans forum embarrassments and now LINCOLN are a better club than we are. Come on, it's a joke when a club like that are better than we are.

Fenty out.

I think Woking said we where the"third best funded" which is quite correct and the main factor in the other two rising at the moment.

History is surely for reference but it's not for residence. Where we are is were we are and we have a bright young manager who is unlike our local cash rich rivals trying to build something long term based upon "you can spend what your budget dictates" no external investment and fortunate cup draws/runs.

On this weekend 3 years ago we lost to Macclesfield 2 - 0 at home in non league in a run of 4 games when we took 2 points from 12, this suggests  progress had been made, incidentally we got promoted that season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
Bigdog
September 2, 2018, 8:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If you look ar what Marcelo Bielsa has done with the same players that finished 13th at Leeds last season, he said six weeks is long enough to make that kind of difference on the training ground. Taking into account that MJ is no Bielsa and our players are not Championship level, I'd say we need to cut them quite a bit more slack than that length of time. But transition is a funny word. It can last as long as you want to believe you're in transition. There's so much squad churn at the lower end of the EFL with the handing out of so many one year contracts and poaching of their best players, that clubs can seem like they're perpetually in transition. The perception of being in transition can become a state of mind and an excuse for non-progression and everyone can have a different perspective. Look at how quickly the Lincoln fans used the "team in transition" excuse when we played them off the park when they're clearly not in transition. Here's my view of in transition for GTFC..

Now the transfer window has closed and we've a couple of new players in, I'd give MJ another couple of months to get the team playing in a more consistent and cohesive manner. From then on we should be acting like a well drilled mid-table side picking up points that a mid-table side should. This hopefully will be built upon in the January transfer window and following that and up until the end of the season, we start looking like a side that other clubs and other players respect in the division by winning more games consistently and playing a few teams off the park. We may not threaten the play offs but we need to give the impression that we could be a contender the following season. "Grimsby were pants the previous season, look how much MJ has improved them." We need to start looking like a progressive team even if we don't look like a progressive club. We then should be in a position to attract better players, our two year contract players will be fully bedded in and challenge in 2019/20, but it doesn't mean that I've written off this season as it's very early days yet.

Unless there are any really huge nasty bumps in the road regarding performances or points haul, as a young manager learning his trade, I think MJ should be given three seasons to get us out of this league. Being as patient as I can be, that will be enough time before I'd ask serious questions of him..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 8:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Bigdog
If you look ar what Marcelo Bielsa has done with the same players that finished 13th at Leeds last season, he said six weeks is long enough to make that kind of difference on the training ground. Taking into account that MJ is no Bielsa and our players are not Championship level, I'd say we need to cut them quite a bit more slack than that length of time. But transition is a funny word. It can last as long as you want to believe you're in transition. There's so much squad churn at the lower end of the EFL with the handing out of so many one year contracts and poaching of their best players, that clubs can seem like they're perpetually in transition. The perception of being in transition can become a state of mind and an excuse for non-progression and everyone can have a different perspective. Here's mine for GTFC..

Now the transfer window has closed and we've a couple of new players in, I'd give MJ another couple of months to get the team playing in a more consistent and cohesive manner. From then on we should be acting like a well drilled mid-table side picking up points that a mid-table side should. This hopefully will be built upon in the January transfer window and following that and up until the end of the season, we start looking like a side that other clubs and other players respect in the division by winning more games consistently and playing a few teams off the park. We may not threaten the play offs but we need to give the impression that we could be a contender the following season. "Grimsby were pants the previous season, look how much MJ has improved them." We need to start looking like a progressive team even if we don't look like a progressive club. We then should be in a position to attract better players, our two year contract players will be fully bedded in and challenge in 2019/20, but it doesn't mean that I've written off this season as it's very early days yet.

Unless there are any really huge nasty bumps in the road regarding performances or points haul, as a young manager learning his trade, I think MJ should be given three seasons to get us out of this league. That will be enough time before seroius questions need to be asked of him..

Surely better players would be more attracted if our club seemed more progressive?

I started the season full of optimism but I've watched games against FGR & Yeovil, both of whom have also massively changed their squads, and both who have comprehensively outplayed us. It's more of the same - we start OK, don't score, crowd goes to sleep, opposition score - there's just this general malaise about GTFC. Any time there's a game of any consequence, the club put a different sound system in - why not every game? Some of us old tw@ts need stirring up!

I'm not expecting us to be world-beaters but we didn't look like scoring after the first 20 minutes yesterday. Surely the manager & coaches saw Yeovil dominate the 15 minutes up to half-time?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 81
Northbank Mariner
September 2, 2018, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Bigdog
If you look ar what Marcelo Bielsa has done with the same players that finished 13th at Leeds last season, he said six weeks is long enough to make that kind of difference on the training ground. Taking into account that MJ is no Bielsa and our players are not Championship level, I'd say we need to cut them quite a bit more slack than that length of time. But transition is a funny word. It can last as long as you want to believe you're in transition. There's so much squad churn at the lower end of the EFL with the handing out of so many one year contracts and poaching of their best players, that clubs can seem like they're perpetually in transition. The perception of being in transition can become a state of mind and an excuse for non-progression and everyone can have a different perspective. Look at how quickly the Lincoln fans used the "team in transition" excuse when we played them off the park when they're clearly not in transition. Here's mine view of in transition for GTFC..

Unless there are any really huge nasty bumps in the road regarding performances or points haul, as a young manager learning his trade, I think MJ should be given three seasons to get us out of this league. Being as patient as I can be, that will be enough time before I'd ask serious questions of him..

For as much as I hear what you're saying BD and completely get where you're coming from the days of managers being given 3 years to get a team anywhere near promotion or in our case stabilised back into league football have sadly gone.
Our transitional period is removing the cloud slade left over us and getting us back to being the force we once were, playing football and turning BP into a ground where opponents turn up with fear in the eyes.
Do I think MJ can be the catalyst for this?..as yet I'm not sure although I do like the fact he openly shows his dismay at the players and won't shirk from admitting the players didn't execute his "game plan"...
I only hope he can get this squad firing and playing consistently for 75 minutes in 90% of games...
My biggest concern is that although our style of football is changing the one glaring hangover we have is the inability to threaten the opponents keeper and that worries beyond any other frailties we may have...
Lets see if the new arrivals and getting Thomas back on the pitch can help with this, because at our present rate of knots I honestly believe we could be in a relegation dog fight even before the next transfer window opens...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
Bigdog
September 2, 2018, 8:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Surely better players would be more attracted if our club seemed more progressive?

I started the season full of optimism but I've watched games against FGR & Yeovil, both of whom have also massively changed their squads, and both who have comprehensively outplayed us. It's more of the same - we start OK, don't score, crowd goes to sleep, opposition score - there's just this general malaise about GTFC. Any time there's a game of any consequence, the club put a different sound system in - why not every game? Some of us old tw@ts need stirring up!

I'm not expecting us to be world-beaters but we didn't look like scoring after the first 20 minutes yesterday. Surely the manager & coaches saw Yeovil dominate the 15 minutes up to half-time?

Now, now. Patience OC. There's only six months left before spades will be breaking ground at Peaks Parkway as promised..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 9:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Bigdog

Now, now. Patience OC. There's only six months left before spades will be breaking ground at Peaks Parkway as promised..

Sadly, when I think of Day & Marley, all I can think of is Stadler & Waldorf - hence my cynicism. I've never met a 'progressive' accountant or solicitor yet.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
golfer
September 2, 2018, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
We start off every game pretty well especially at home normally creating several chances in the first half hour-this is all it takes to suss us out. The opposing manager makes a couple of tweaks to his team- hey presto,that's us finished. We bring on a couple of subs who normally make no difference because the rest of the team still keep playing the same way-one that's already been sussed out. We need a plan B where we can change the system when required from the goalkeeper onwards- not just the personnel .Get things sorted on the training ground in preparation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
H19P1
September 2, 2018, 9:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman%27s_stages_of_group_development

This can be related to MJ and his team.

Transition takes time and we need to patient and let the process evolve and trust MJ along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
September 2, 2018, 1:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Funny you should mention the sound system or lack of. We were saying the next we will see of that is when we must win a game to stay up. That is no reflection at all on Michael Jolley as I don't think for a minute we will be in any sort of trouble but that sums up the club mentality. Every single thing is reactive. What Lincoln have achieved on the back of one promotion from the Conference has been incredible, but I bet there is not one Town fan alive who expected our club to cash in our promotion in any way whatsoever.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.