Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 136 Guests

How long is 'transition'?

This thread currently has 9,560 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Not terribly impressed with our performance today - it had shades of FGR & Rochdale - but after a gin and a bit of time to think, clearly Thomas & Pringle are going to come into the starting 11 and possibly Embleton too. Just wondered what timeline MJ is working to on this - I missed the Lincoln game but have seen the rest and would be interested to know how frustrated others feel?
Private Message
Yoda
September 1, 2018, 7:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
Fenty is working on a 30 year turn around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
sonofmadeleymariner
September 1, 2018, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
I think people expected too much coming into the season after MJ performed last seasons miracle and now that we aren't top of the league with 6 wins from 6 people are getting frustrated. This season was always going to be a rebuild season, we've had some poor luck with injuries I can't help but think Whitehouse was a big part in MJ's plans and his injury was more of a blow then he let on.

We spent preseason playing 532, which after the FGR it was clear we didn't have the personnel to do it and as such we reverted back to 451/433 we ended last season on, so at that point you're installing a new system again with a new set of players so we enter another period of transition, whilst I can understand why we played 442 today as MJ likes to nullify  his opposition when he can its his style by the look of it again you're changing the system.

Hopefully now we've got these new loanees in it means we'll see a more settled side and formation/formations depending on who we play and the results and performances will start to pick up.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
chaos33
September 1, 2018, 7:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I think the disappointing/angering thing is - and this was mentioned by Ginny earlier - that for as long as I can remember, we have been generally inconsistent at home, and often poor. A smattering of good performances or results here and there, season after season, but, more often than not, it seems, we flop. It's this aspect that stops us moving forward with real purpose. Kills momentum and hope. Dissuades fans from coming back or keeping a commitment. Punctures optimism and enthusiasm.

Really poor result today, and that's three out of four at home this season that have been pretty abject. Not good enough and needs to change if we are going to make some sort of impact in this league.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
grimsby pete
September 1, 2018, 7:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Yoda
Fenty is working on a 30 year turn around.

We have to time our promotions so we enter the championship the same time we have our new ground,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
ginnywings
September 1, 2018, 8:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Transition- about 12 years since we last looked like a decent league side. Managers come and go, players come and go, but we remain resolutely poor to average. Hoping Jolley is the one to change things. He will need at least one more window and a good few more games yet, before we can start to judge.

We will see what transpires over the coming season, but i have learned to have low expectations over the last 10 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
moosey_club
September 1, 2018, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Transition would be easier if we could score goals....we battered Lincoln but they threw everything in the way of us getting a 2nd goal ....we did the same to MK Dons for 45 mins but failed to get the 2nd goal ....today for 20 mins we buzzed around created a couple of good opportunities which were well saved or blocked, Cook fluffed a header from 6 yds to equalise ....any of the above go in and we are 5 points better off straight away.

We tried to play neatly and some good interplay for 20 minutes today and looked good ...but then just totally lost any calmness on the ball and just "kicked" it. Hard to say from my position in the Ponny if Yeovil made a tactical change around that time that prevented us playing or if the team just ran out of steam/ belief but early signs were good.

Our bench didnt exactly whet the appetite so until we are major injury and suspension free then the thinness of the squad will tell also.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
Gaffer58
September 1, 2018, 8:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
We never had a really great home record when we were in the league below (doesn't need naming as were all trying to forget those 6 years) so it could be a Blundell Park thing, if we get our new ground our luck/ fortune may turn  round. Or maybe we have a gypsy curse on us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

We have to time our promotions so we enter the championship the same time we have our new ground,

Well that's within 5 years according to the solicitor bloke.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
GrimRob
September 1, 2018, 8:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
It took PH a full season to turn things around. But we've never really threatened in this league since Bogle left. If we can't score many sides know they don't have to create that much to beat us. You can change formations and systems until the cows come home but you need a goal scorer.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 81
Hagrid
September 1, 2018, 8:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
What i will say is it shows what a complete waste of time it was signing Robles. 1-0 down only striker on the bench and still not brought on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 81
Gaffer58
September 1, 2018, 8:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Completely agree with Hagrid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 81
September 1, 2018, 8:24pm
Guest User
Are we seriously talking this Sh1te already!! We are not Feal Madrid and things takes time to click!!

Please get a grip, get behind MJ and let he go about his work with OUR FULL Support!!

Even Pep took a couple of seasons to get going!!

Please, a little more patience!!

UTM
Reply: 12 - 81
chaos33
September 1, 2018, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Hard to oppose that view. I think many thought, at the time of that signing, that this was the case.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 81
ivanosandwich
September 1, 2018, 8:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 16
I would expect to see the new loanees and Thomas in the regular starting 11 by the end of this month.

Then hopefully results will improve leading up to Christmas.

Then i see one or two new additions in Jan, likely from Sweden,

The only positive I can take from today was Jolley's post match interview when he said the performance was not good enough and this had been communicated to the players, His words alone won't fix things but last season Slade would have been telling us that "we played well John".

So for now, I am happy to allow Jolley to do his job and give him some time to mould a decent team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 81
fiveallive
September 1, 2018, 9:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Jolley will hopefully long term, its going 5 or 6 years to build in going forward and you can only do that keeping with Jolley.

You sack the manager then new players, new coaching staff then even longer to build, keep with Jolley, Luton manager only loaned us Famewo because of what Jolley is doing.

We need more width, hopefully Pringle can bring that and Harry Cardwell fit again at least he runs the channels upfront and is willing along with Vernam and Cook.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 81
immariner
September 1, 2018, 9:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
3 transfer windows. Then it's fully Jolley's team/squad. I'll take a season avoiding a proper relegation battle, I'm not expecting any more than that for this season. Still plenty early, though home form is obviously a real disappointment so far. I'd take few points away from home if we could be decent at home, just for once.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 81
jonnyboy82
September 1, 2018, 9:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Slade in a suit.

JK.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 81
diehardmariner
September 1, 2018, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Thing is with Robles, did any of us at any point look to the bench and think "get him on!"?

The two most attacking players (Robles and Wright) were kept on the bench as a left-back and two central midfielders were brought on.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1542
Are we seriously talking this Sh1te already!! We are not Feal Madrid and things takes time to click!!

Please get a grip, get behind MJ and let he go about his work with OUR FULL Support!!

Even Pep took a couple of seasons to get going!!

Please, a little more patience!!

UTM

We are not Real Madrid nor are we Man City where 4th in the league is deemed to be failure. Only once in the last 20 years have we finished in the top 4 as a League club. It would just be nice to see a Grimsby Town team set their stall out to dominate a game at home - then the support might get full square behind them - but again we didn't. Admittedly Yeovil have started well but we really didn't lay a glove on them, did we?

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 81
Maringer
September 1, 2018, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from GrimRob
You can change formations and systems until the cows come home but you need a goal scorer.

Not really. You just need to score goals, not necessarily have one player scoring most of them.

Remains to be seen if we'll have enough players getting into (or near) double figures this season, but it would be nice to see the midfield chipping in with some goals.

I still think we're lacking the fulcrum around which our more creative players can play. If we're not going to be tippy-tappying through teams (which seems likely), we're going to need something else up front to make a difference in this regard. Not sure Thomas is this because he seems more of a poacher. Perhaps Pringle can add enough of a threat to make space for the rest of our attackers?

As already noted, we've really not been far off winning far more points this season and you also have to note we've played almost all of the top teams (so far). Let's wait to see what happens when Pringle, Thomas and perhaps Embleton are fit and integrated into the team before writing the season off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
September 1, 2018, 9:42pm
Guest User
In my opinion, for what it's worth we have good players, much better players than this time last year when I was genuinely worried under that clown Slade. But we have issues with fitting them all into they system the manager wants to play. He wants to play a 'modern' formation, a variation of 4-3-3, or ideally I feel a 3-5-2. But we have no target man, no forward that can hold the ball up, take the pressure off and bring the wingers / inside forwards into play. In Cook and Vernam we have quality but we resorted to booting the ball up to them from deep. Neither had a chance today against the giant centre backs.

A manager has an idea how he wants to play, what system he wants to play and I am sure he has tried to bring that target man in, maybe the new lad who was suspended today as the FA are buffoons is the answer, but we look disjointed and unable to question teams defences. As this goes on, our confidence will drop. Quality players like Cook and in particular Vernam may well drop to the poor standards we have set and we'll be looking over our shoulder. It isn't too early to be concerned, and it isn't too early to question the manager's tactics, given what he has available. Is he trying to play a formation, without having the players to make it work? They are his players now.
Reply: 21 - 81
grimsby pete
September 1, 2018, 9:54pm

Exile
We all want promotion but expecting a manager getting us promoted in HIS first full season as a manager is asking too much.

I will settle for mid table this season and I think we will do that.

Then go for a promotion push next season  if not the season after.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
WokingMariner
September 1, 2018, 10:04pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
I think everyone can see we've got a better set of players. Last year we had Dembele, who was brilliant on his day and when you have someone like that it lifts the players around him (and the crowd every time the ball goes near him). I think we need to try and get a settled team. Personally, I like wingers, it seems they are falling out of fashion though.

Our best spells seem to me to be when we pick the same XI week after week. Not a month goes by when someone isn't making their debut. I really hope Jolley doesn't fall under the spell of forever swapping and changing the team that most of our managers seem to.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 81
September 1, 2018, 10:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete
We all want promotion but expecting a manager getting us promoted in HIS first full season as a manager is asking too much.

I will settle for mid table this season and I think we will do that.

Then go for a promotion push next season  if not the season after.

It's only division 4 FFS, we are Grimsby. Is it fair to say we are now the third best club in Lincolnshire? When are you people going to demand more?
Reply: 24 - 81
HertsGTFC
September 1, 2018, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
The squad overall is overall better than those who where available this time last year and the manager is hungrier, cleverer and more ambitious.

Similar to previous years the squad has not been competed until the deadline and it will take time for the additions to get match fit and sharp.

The manager and his team (Dave Moore apart) are relative rookies at this level but are intelligent, well qualified, have a plan and understand the value of building a club culture.

We need to find a balance as we look better on the right than the left, ideally I think we need to just identify what shape suits us best. The defense, again once settled should be o.k.

Last season Slade changed the front 2 each week if we didn't score MJ needs to be brave and keep faith in a front 2 partnership for a good few games at a time as this alongside getting the best mid field shape/combinations the only way we'll score goals.

Manage your expectations this season will be a bumpy ride next season we'll be comparative for sure.

Also for all of those yearning for Buckley style passing football we are a fourth division team and our players play at that level for a reason, these days not many pass their way out of the EFL basement.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 81
WokingMariner
September 1, 2018, 10:15pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from 75

It's only division 4 FFS, we are Grimsby. Is it fair to say we are now the third best club in Lincolnshire? When are you people going to demand more?

Aren't we the third best-funded club in Lincolnshire though? The manager can only be expected to do on a par with where his budget puts him. All he can and do is put bums on seats and hope that the money in his pot keeps going up. Grimsby have never had big crowds, we were getting a lot less in the Championship than Lincoln are now.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 81
September 1, 2018, 10:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from WokingMariner

Aren't we the third best-funded club in Lincolnshire though? The manager can only be expected to do on a par with where his budget puts him. All he can and do is put bums on seats and hope that the money in his pot keeps going up. Grimsby have never had big crowds, we were getting a lot less in the Championship than Lincoln are now.

Never in my life have we been the third best club in Lincolnshire. It's early days, but it really looks that way. That is very sad, humiliating and all under one mans watch. Along with relegation from the football league, two very near relegations from the football league. Countless spats with the media, flag deconstructions, fans forum embarrassments and now LINCOLN are a better club than we are. Come on, it's a joke when a club like that are better than we are.

Fenty out.
Reply: 27 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 75

Never in my life have we been the third best club in Lincolnshire. It's early days, but it really looks that way. That is very sad, humiliating and all under one mans watch. Along with relegation from the football league, two very near relegations from the football league. Countless spats with the media, flag deconstructions, fans forum embarrassments and now LINCOLN are a better club than we are. Come on, it's a joke when a club like that are better than we are.

Fenty out.

I don't know how embedded your tongue is in your cheek but this is the essence of the problem.

Fenty thought that paying off the tax debt would be his rite of passage whereas it has become the millstone around his neck and he is now desperately trying to claw back his benign loans rather than 'risk' further investment. While all this is going on, there is no news from him, the board or the mighty Extreme about the one thing that might offer a glimpse of a way out. Since Philip Day announced that we would be in the Championship in 5 years there has been nothing from the board - not a peep. By hook or by crook, they've found a bright, articulate manager that they can hide behind - and, guess what, that's exactly what they are doing. Leaders or losers?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 81
ginnywings
September 1, 2018, 10:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Have to agree with BP. Why are Lincoln now well above us? Because the Cowley's turned them around instantly, won the Conference, which we never looked like doing, went on a fantastic cup run, which brought in loads of money, and more importantly, brought the fans flooding in. They then reach the play offs and win the Checkatrade in their first season back in the league, and are now the early pace setters. All the while, we keep getting told "wait until the manager has had time, wait until the players gel".

I've been waiting patiently for over a decade, and...........

I will wait and see what Jolley does, but it gets harder and harder every season, especially when we are so poor at home. The fans are getting bored and disengaged.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
September 1, 2018, 10:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't know how embedded your tongue is in your cheek but this is the essence of the problem.

Fenty thought that paying off the tax debt would be his rite of passage whereas it has become the millstone around his neck and he is now desperately trying to claw back his benign loans rather than 'risk' further investment. While all this is going on, there is no news from him, the board or the mighty Extreme about the one thing that might offer a glimpse of a way out. Since Philip Day announced that we would be in the Championship in 5 years there has been nothing from the board - not a peep. By hook or by crook, they've found a bright, articulate manager that they can hide behind - and, guess what, that's exactly what they are doing. Leaders or losers?

Wasn't at all embedded sadly, I meant every word. John Fenty's silence since the last public humiliation has been welcome. I'm certain he has done his best for the club, but I'm also certain it hasn't worked out for whatever reason. We are a joke club, he needs to find a way to leave, publicly stating his demands would be a great start.
Reply: 30 - 81
HertsGTFC
September 1, 2018, 10:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 75

Fenty out.

I think Woking said we where the"third best funded" which is quite correct and the main factor in the other two rising at the moment.

History is surely for reference but it's not for residence. Where we are is were we are and we have a bright young manager who is unlike our local cash rich rivals trying to build something long term based upon "you can spend what your budget dictates" no external investment and fortunate cup draws/runs.

On this weekend 3 years ago we lost to Macclesfield 2 - 0 at home in non league in a run of 4 games when we took 2 points from 12, this suggests  progress had been made, incidentally we got promoted that season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
Bigdog
September 2, 2018, 8:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If you look ar what Marcelo Bielsa has done with the same players that finished 13th at Leeds last season, he said six weeks is long enough to make that kind of difference on the training ground. Taking into account that MJ is no Bielsa and our players are not Championship level, I'd say we need to cut them quite a bit more slack than that length of time. But transition is a funny word. It can last as long as you want to believe you're in transition. There's so much squad churn at the lower end of the EFL with the handing out of so many one year contracts and poaching of their best players, that clubs can seem like they're perpetually in transition. The perception of being in transition can become a state of mind and an excuse for non-progression and everyone can have a different perspective. Look at how quickly the Lincoln fans used the "team in transition" excuse when we played them off the park when they're clearly not in transition. Here's my view of in transition for GTFC..

Now the transfer window has closed and we've a couple of new players in, I'd give MJ another couple of months to get the team playing in a more consistent and cohesive manner. From then on we should be acting like a well drilled mid-table side picking up points that a mid-table side should. This hopefully will be built upon in the January transfer window and following that and up until the end of the season, we start looking like a side that other clubs and other players respect in the division by winning more games consistently and playing a few teams off the park. We may not threaten the play offs but we need to give the impression that we could be a contender the following season. "Grimsby were pants the previous season, look how much MJ has improved them." We need to start looking like a progressive team even if we don't look like a progressive club. We then should be in a position to attract better players, our two year contract players will be fully bedded in and challenge in 2019/20, but it doesn't mean that I've written off this season as it's very early days yet.

Unless there are any really huge nasty bumps in the road regarding performances or points haul, as a young manager learning his trade, I think MJ should be given three seasons to get us out of this league. Being as patient as I can be, that will be enough time before I'd ask serious questions of him..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 8:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
If you look ar what Marcelo Bielsa has done with the same players that finished 13th at Leeds last season, he said six weeks is long enough to make that kind of difference on the training ground. Taking into account that MJ is no Bielsa and our players are not Championship level, I'd say we need to cut them quite a bit more slack than that length of time. But transition is a funny word. It can last as long as you want to believe you're in transition. There's so much squad churn at the lower end of the EFL with the handing out of so many one year contracts and poaching of their best players, that clubs can seem like they're perpetually in transition. The perception of being in transition can become a state of mind and an excuse for non-progression and everyone can have a different perspective. Here's mine for GTFC..

Now the transfer window has closed and we've a couple of new players in, I'd give MJ another couple of months to get the team playing in a more consistent and cohesive manner. From then on we should be acting like a well drilled mid-table side picking up points that a mid-table side should. This hopefully will be built upon in the January transfer window and following that and up until the end of the season, we start looking like a side that other clubs and other players respect in the division by winning more games consistently and playing a few teams off the park. We may not threaten the play offs but we need to give the impression that we could be a contender the following season. "Grimsby were pants the previous season, look how much MJ has improved them." We need to start looking like a progressive team even if we don't look like a progressive club. We then should be in a position to attract better players, our two year contract players will be fully bedded in and challenge in 2019/20, but it doesn't mean that I've written off this season as it's very early days yet.

Unless there are any really huge nasty bumps in the road regarding performances or points haul, as a young manager learning his trade, I think MJ should be given three seasons to get us out of this league. That will be enough time before seroius questions need to be asked of him..

Surely better players would be more attracted if our club seemed more progressive?

I started the season full of optimism but I've watched games against FGR & Yeovil, both of whom have also massively changed their squads, and both who have comprehensively outplayed us. It's more of the same - we start OK, don't score, crowd goes to sleep, opposition score - there's just this general malaise about GTFC. Any time there's a game of any consequence, the club put a different sound system in - why not every game? Some of us old tw@ts need stirring up!

I'm not expecting us to be world-beaters but we didn't look like scoring after the first 20 minutes yesterday. Surely the manager & coaches saw Yeovil dominate the 15 minutes up to half-time?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 81
Northbank Mariner
September 2, 2018, 8:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Bigdog
If you look ar what Marcelo Bielsa has done with the same players that finished 13th at Leeds last season, he said six weeks is long enough to make that kind of difference on the training ground. Taking into account that MJ is no Bielsa and our players are not Championship level, I'd say we need to cut them quite a bit more slack than that length of time. But transition is a funny word. It can last as long as you want to believe you're in transition. There's so much squad churn at the lower end of the EFL with the handing out of so many one year contracts and poaching of their best players, that clubs can seem like they're perpetually in transition. The perception of being in transition can become a state of mind and an excuse for non-progression and everyone can have a different perspective. Look at how quickly the Lincoln fans used the "team in transition" excuse when we played them off the park when they're clearly not in transition. Here's mine view of in transition for GTFC..

Unless there are any really huge nasty bumps in the road regarding performances or points haul, as a young manager learning his trade, I think MJ should be given three seasons to get us out of this league. Being as patient as I can be, that will be enough time before I'd ask serious questions of him..

For as much as I hear what you're saying BD and completely get where you're coming from the days of managers being given 3 years to get a team anywhere near promotion or in our case stabilised back into league football have sadly gone.
Our transitional period is removing the cloud slade left over us and getting us back to being the force we once were, playing football and turning BP into a ground where opponents turn up with fear in the eyes.
Do I think MJ can be the catalyst for this?..as yet I'm not sure although I do like the fact he openly shows his dismay at the players and won't shirk from admitting the players didn't execute his "game plan"...
I only hope he can get this squad firing and playing consistently for 75 minutes in 90% of games...
My biggest concern is that although our style of football is changing the one glaring hangover we have is the inability to threaten the opponents keeper and that worries beyond any other frailties we may have...
Lets see if the new arrivals and getting Thomas back on the pitch can help with this, because at our present rate of knots I honestly believe we could be in a relegation dog fight even before the next transfer window opens...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
Bigdog
September 2, 2018, 8:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Surely better players would be more attracted if our club seemed more progressive?

I started the season full of optimism but I've watched games against FGR & Yeovil, both of whom have also massively changed their squads, and both who have comprehensively outplayed us. It's more of the same - we start OK, don't score, crowd goes to sleep, opposition score - there's just this general malaise about GTFC. Any time there's a game of any consequence, the club put a different sound system in - why not every game? Some of us old tw@ts need stirring up!

I'm not expecting us to be world-beaters but we didn't look like scoring after the first 20 minutes yesterday. Surely the manager & coaches saw Yeovil dominate the 15 minutes up to half-time?

Now, now. Patience OC. There's only six months left before spades will be breaking ground at Peaks Parkway as promised..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 9:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Now, now. Patience OC. There's only six months left before spades will be breaking ground at Peaks Parkway as promised..

Sadly, when I think of Day & Marley, all I can think of is Stadler & Waldorf - hence my cynicism. I've never met a 'progressive' accountant or solicitor yet.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
golfer
September 2, 2018, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
We start off every game pretty well especially at home normally creating several chances in the first half hour-this is all it takes to suss us out. The opposing manager makes a couple of tweaks to his team- hey presto,that's us finished. We bring on a couple of subs who normally make no difference because the rest of the team still keep playing the same way-one that's already been sussed out. We need a plan B where we can change the system when required from the goalkeeper onwards- not just the personnel .Get things sorted on the training ground in preparation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
H19P1
September 2, 2018, 9:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman%27s_stages_of_group_development

This can be related to MJ and his team.

Transition takes time and we need to patient and let the process evolve and trust MJ along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
September 2, 2018, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Funny you should mention the sound system or lack of. We were saying the next we will see of that is when we must win a game to stay up. That is no reflection at all on Michael Jolley as I don't think for a minute we will be in any sort of trouble but that sums up the club mentality. Every single thing is reactive. What Lincoln have achieved on the back of one promotion from the Conference has been incredible, but I bet there is not one Town fan alive who expected our club to cash in our promotion in any way whatsoever.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 81
grimsby pete
September 2, 2018, 1:39pm

Exile
Quoted from 75

Next season or the season after next.

Rome was not built in a day.

PS. Just heard we have won only 2 of our last 15 home games,

I demand that improves immediately.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
Roast Em Bobby
September 2, 2018, 1:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I started the season full of optimism but I've watched games against FGR & Yeovil, both of whom have also massively changed their squads, and both who have comprehensively outplayed us.

Yeovil didn't comprehensively out play us at all. Granted FGR did in the 2nd half of that game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Funny you should mention the sound system or lack of. We were saying the next we will see of that is when we must win a game to stay up. That is no reflection at all on Michael Jolley as I don't think for a minute we will be in any sort of trouble but that sums up the club mentality. Every single thing is reactive. What Lincoln have achieved on the back of one promotion from the Conference has been incredible, but I bet there is not one Town fan alive who expected our club to cash in our promotion in any way whatsoever.

But that's the point. One promotion should drive the next promotion - no-one should ever look to 'consolidate'. FGR are looking like the next one overtaking us at speed.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
golfer
September 2, 2018, 2:24pm
Vodka Drinker
It's not them overtaking us-its us dropping behind. The reason there is not a bigger uproar over our performances is that it is expected that we are shite. We are in transition,takes time,we have no money to spend,our grounds falling down,training ground inadequate,Bignots fault,Slades fault,J.S.F.'s fault. Why do we keep making excuses. We deserve more than what is being served up. Our away following is more than a lot of division 1 clubs and what is our reward-call it what you like but it's shite served up on a platter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
promotion plaice
September 2, 2018, 2:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from golfer
It's not them overtaking us-its us dropping behind. The reason there is not a bigger uproar over our performances is that it is expected that we are shite. We are in transition,takes time,we have no money to spend,our grounds falling down,training ground inadequate,Bignots fault,Slades fault,J.S.F.'s fault. Why do we keep making excuses. We deserve more than what is being served up. Our away following is more than a lot of division 1 clubs and what is our reward-call it what you like but it's shite served up on a platter

I blame it on our location  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 81
golfer
September 2, 2018, 2:57pm
Vodka Drinker
I've never heard that mentioned-thought it could be because we pulled down the swimming pool  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
kenlyn
September 2, 2018, 3:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +55
I know the league  tables are nothing to go by at this time of year but we have played
5 teams ithat currently occupy the top 7.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kenlyn
I know the league  tables are nothing to go by at this time of year but we have played
5 teams ithat currently occupy the top 7.

We've lost at home to two teams that finished roughly level with us last season. Teams that have made similar levels of squad change to us.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
Roast Em Bobby
September 2, 2018, 4:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
You can’t compare us to FGR as they are being run as a vanity project and have a level of funding and debt way beyond ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 5:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
You can’t compare us to FGR as they are being run as a vanity project and have a level of funding and debt way beyond ours.

And how long have we been run as a 'vanity project'? Remember Bournemouth?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
Yoda
September 2, 2018, 5:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
i think transition should be no more than 10 games if things are not improving by then it’s panic time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
StaffsMariner
September 2, 2018, 5:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
Yeovil and FGR managers have had at least 5 transfer windows to change their teams.
MJ finished his 1st squad 2 days ago....thats it until January now so we have what we have.
Is the jigsaw complete? it's highly unlikely.
Just get behind the boys as the 12th man. It worked wonders at the end of last season, or was that the Jolley effect? coincidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
Northbank Mariner
September 2, 2018, 5:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
i think transition should be no more than 10 games if things are not improving by then it’s panic time.

Take a look at Crystal Palace last season, supposedly in a transitional period under Frank, went 7 games without a point, dumped him, brought in old codger hodgson who went back to basics and the rest is history as they say....I'm not saying sack MJ after 7 games but, this is now his squad and if by xmas we haven't started to pick up some serious points and are playing a more consistent starting 11/level of football I feel for his future...be such a shame though because I honestly believe in this man and his brand of football....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Take a look at Crystal Palace last season, supposedly in a transitional period under Frank, went 7 games without a point, dumped him, brought in old codger hodgson who went back to basics and the rest is history as they say....I'm not saying sack MJ after 7 games but, this is now his squad and if by xmas we haven't started to pick up some serious points and are playing a more consistent starting 11/level of football I feel for his future...be such a shame though because I honestly believe in this man and his brand of football....

Proof that there's nothing wrong with an Old Codger.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
September 2, 2018, 5:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

That is exactly how ours is being run - "vanity on a shoestring but having complete control" would be my take on it.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
Northbank Mariner
September 2, 2018, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Proof that there's nothing wrong with an Old Codger.

Many a fine tune played on an old fiddle eh???😂😂😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2018, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Many a fine tune played on an old fiddle eh???😂😂😂😂

You'd better ask Mrs Codger!
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
ginnywings
September 2, 2018, 5:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I think if you look at Newport, who were on the verge of relegation 2 seasons ago, before appointing a young manager who saved them from the drop, the parallels are very similar. They had a season last year building on that,  finishing 11th with a negative goal difference, and have started this season very well. It's great for a club when a new manager comes in and hits the ground running like Cowley up the road, but it's usually a longer term project than that for most clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
September 2, 2018, 6:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I think if you look at Newport, who were on the verge of relegation 2 seasons ago, before appointing a young manager who saved them from the drop, the parallels are very similar. They had a season last year building on that,  finishing 11th with a negative goal difference, and have started this season very well. It's great for a club when a new manager comes in and hits the ground running like Cowley up the road, but it's usually a longer term project than that for most clubs.

I think that is true to a degree, but results play such an important part and most "projects" are cut off at the knees before they have had a chance to get going. Failure to win 6,8 10 games usually signals the end project or no project and of course Jolley will appreciate that.

Like you though, I saw enough against Lincoln and MK to be reasonably confident it won't come to that.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
rancido
September 2, 2018, 7:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sadly, when I think of Day & Marley, all I can think of is Stadler & Waldorf - hence my cynicism. I've never met a 'progressive' accountant or solicitor yet.

I liked the line where Stadler said to Waldorf " Are you the old fool there is no fool like ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
LH
September 2, 2018, 7:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from ginnywings

Both have been helped by a slice of “football fortune” with cup runs.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
grimsby pete
September 2, 2018, 7:49pm

Exile
We have 3 new signing to get into the team.

I think when we have a settled side playing a formation that suits us ,

We will starting winning more than we lose,

Another couple of signings in January and 2 or 3 in the summer,

We should be challenging at the top of the league not struggling near the bottom,

We have to improve our home form soon the fans deserve better.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
KingstonMariner
September 2, 2018, 10:58pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Yeovil and FGR managers have had at least 5 transfer windows to change their teams.
MJ finished his 1st squad 2 days ago....thats it until January now so we have what we have.
Is the jigsaw complete? it's highly unlikely.
Just get behind the boys as the 12th man. It worked wonders at the end of last season, or was that the Jolley effect? coincidence?

Very good point. Cooper effectively took over after we beat the Vegans at Wembley in 2016. Don't know about Yeovil so can't comment.

And,I don't know what subsidy they get from Ecotricity now, but in two seasons in the Conference FGR ran up losses of £5m. Their owner was prepared and able to make a loss greater than our whole revenue each season (and our gates were 3 times theirs).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
SheepGTFC
September 4, 2018, 1:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +280
Gold Stars: 6
I don't care how long this transition period is. Everytime we chop and change we go to excrement. When we stick with a manager they do well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
Mrs Doyle
September 4, 2018, 4:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
I am willing to give Jolley a chance just wish the players would do what he says. Clearly, the back four and keeper seem to favour the route one system. This works if you have big strikers with loads of pace.

We should have signed Usain Bolt lol as a G.T. MARINER.

Go on hit those red crosses ya know you want to..................................yeah that's the way lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
LondonMariner43
September 4, 2018, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64

With all the new players available and fit we should be mid table and looking up.  We have some good signings just in the door and have had some key players injured, plus 3 red cards.

I’m not sure what will be MJ’s first X1 but it feels like it will have a lot more quality than what we had last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
wiggers
September 4, 2018, 11:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
We just need to give Jolley time. It will come good I’m convinced of it. He has made some good  signings, they all need time to gel. Let’s see where we are by early December. I think we will be closer to the top than the bottom. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
Bigdog
September 4, 2018, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from LH

True, but both Newport and Lincoln haven't sold their star striker for £1m without anything discernable to show for it..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Ipswin
September 4, 2018, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from LH

Newport have been helped by a striker who was not good enough for a decent contract in L2 football

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
September 4, 2018, 12:04pm
Guest User
We badly need a target man. Whether that man is Thomas remains to be seen. We have some good players, Hessenthaler, Cook, Vernam are key additions but I am not sure we have any proper wide players. I don't think MJ will go for a 4-4-2, I think he likes the flexibility and pure numbers of a five man midfield in some format. But you will need wide players in a 3-5-2 (his preferred IMO), or a 4-3-3.

Perhaps with Fox returning, and Hendrie he should give 3-5-2 a real go. It isn't just about formations though, it's about players and do we have the quality to bother the top seven? I honestly don't know, but we've started badly, that much is for sure.
Reply: 69 - 81
nealeardleyscrossing
September 4, 2018, 12:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from 75
We badly need a target man. Whether that man is Thomas remains to be seen. We have some good players, Hessenthaler, Cook, Vernam are key additions but I am not sure we have any proper wide players. I don't think MJ will go for a 4-4-2, I think he likes the flexibility and pure numbers of a five man midfield in some format. But you will need wide players in a 3-5-2 (his preferred IMO), or a 4-3-3.

Perhaps with Fox returning, and Hendrie he should give 3-5-2 a real go. It isn't just about formations though, it's about players and do we have the quality to bother the top seven? I honestly don't know, but we've started badly, that much is for sure.

You enquired about Rhead just prior to deadline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
Cloudy
September 4, 2018, 12:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

You enquired about Rhead just prior to deadline.

What a load of bollox!
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 81
nealeardleyscrossing
September 4, 2018, 12:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

What a load of bollox!

Well think what you think, but he's played 14 minutes for us this season.
I was told 12 clubs enquired, and you were one, right at the end of the window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
Bigdog
September 4, 2018, 12:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

What a load of bollox!

It's true Cloudy. Talks broke down because the benches at Steels weren't wide enough..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
Northbank Mariner
September 4, 2018, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker

Well think what you think, but he's played 14 minutes for us this season.
I was told 12 clubs enquired, and you were one, right at the end of the window.

Give it a rest, he'd never get his fat @rse out of Maccy Ds outside Blundell Park....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
Garth
September 4, 2018, 4:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You'd better ask Mrs Codger!

Bet he lost his sheet music long ago
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
nealeardleyscrossing
September 4, 2018, 4:34pm
Lager Top Drinker

Give it a rest, he'd never get his fat @rse out of Maccy Ds outside Blundell Park....

Up to you what you believe I couldn't give a monkeys. Seems your playing quite direct now, so it may have some credence.
Regardless of his shape and size, I imagine his goal scoring record stands up well against your current strikers - 12 clubs wanted him so he can't be that bad.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 81
Northbank Mariner
September 4, 2018, 4:36pm
Whiskey Drinker

Up to you what you believe I couldn't give a monkeys. Seems your playing quite direct now, so it may have some credence.
Regardless of his shape and size, I imagine his goal scoring record stands up well against your current strikers - 12 clubs wanted him so he can't be that bad.

So where is he now if he was so wanted by other clubs??....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
nealeardleyscrossing
September 4, 2018, 4:40pm
Lager Top Drinker

So where is he now if he was so wanted by other clubs??....

On our bench, I can only imagine he turned them down or DC wanted to keep him. I imagine dollar came in to it.
I would think quite a few of your fans would have him, not just the 30 or so that post on here who will say they wouldn't.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
Bigdog
September 4, 2018, 7:06pm
Whiskey Drinker

On our bench, I can only imagine he turned them down or DC wanted to keep him. I imagine dollar came in to it.
I would think quite a few of your fans would have him, not just the 30 or so that post on here who will say they wouldn't.

There ya go....

You finally got your condescending point across about your benchwarmers are only good enough for us and that we couldn't afford them anyway..

Now off you trot..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
Yoda
September 4, 2018, 7:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I wouldn’t want the fat diving oaf constantly whining at referees at our club thank you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 81
ginnywings
September 4, 2018, 7:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Bigdog

True, but both Newport and Lincoln haven't sold their star striker for £1m without anything discernable to show for it..

Didn't Newport spend the money they made on a new playing surface?

To be fair to our board, we got a new Portakabin and a TV at Cheapside.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.