Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 306 Guests

How long is 'transition'?

This thread currently has 9,578 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 1, 2018, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from GrimRob
You can change formations and systems until the cows come home but you need a goal scorer.

Not really. You just need to score goals, not necessarily have one player scoring most of them.

Remains to be seen if we'll have enough players getting into (or near) double figures this season, but it would be nice to see the midfield chipping in with some goals.

I still think we're lacking the fulcrum around which our more creative players can play. If we're not going to be tippy-tappying through teams (which seems likely), we're going to need something else up front to make a difference in this regard. Not sure Thomas is this because he seems more of a poacher. Perhaps Pringle can add enough of a threat to make space for the rest of our attackers?

As already noted, we've really not been far off winning far more points this season and you also have to note we've played almost all of the top teams (so far). Let's wait to see what happens when Pringle, Thomas and perhaps Embleton are fit and integrated into the team before writing the season off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
September 1, 2018, 9:42pm
Guest User
In my opinion, for what it's worth we have good players, much better players than this time last year when I was genuinely worried under that clown Slade. But we have issues with fitting them all into they system the manager wants to play. He wants to play a 'modern' formation, a variation of 4-3-3, or ideally I feel a 3-5-2. But we have no target man, no forward that can hold the ball up, take the pressure off and bring the wingers / inside forwards into play. In Cook and Vernam we have quality but we resorted to booting the ball up to them from deep. Neither had a chance today against the giant centre backs.

A manager has an idea how he wants to play, what system he wants to play and I am sure he has tried to bring that target man in, maybe the new lad who was suspended today as the FA are buffoons is the answer, but we look disjointed and unable to question teams defences. As this goes on, our confidence will drop. Quality players like Cook and in particular Vernam may well drop to the poor standards we have set and we'll be looking over our shoulder. It isn't too early to be concerned, and it isn't too early to question the manager's tactics, given what he has available. Is he trying to play a formation, without having the players to make it work? They are his players now.
Reply: 21 - 81
grimsby pete
September 1, 2018, 9:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
We all want promotion but expecting a manager getting us promoted in HIS first full season as a manager is asking too much.

I will settle for mid table this season and I think we will do that.

Then go for a promotion push next season  if not the season after.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
WokingMariner
September 1, 2018, 10:04pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
I think everyone can see we've got a better set of players. Last year we had Dembele, who was brilliant on his day and when you have someone like that it lifts the players around him (and the crowd every time the ball goes near him). I think we need to try and get a settled team. Personally, I like wingers, it seems they are falling out of fashion though.

Our best spells seem to me to be when we pick the same XI week after week. Not a month goes by when someone isn't making their debut. I really hope Jolley doesn't fall under the spell of forever swapping and changing the team that most of our managers seem to.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 81
September 1, 2018, 10:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete
We all want promotion but expecting a manager getting us promoted in HIS first full season as a manager is asking too much.

I will settle for mid table this season and I think we will do that.

Then go for a promotion push next season  if not the season after.

It's only division 4 FFS, we are Grimsby. Is it fair to say we are now the third best club in Lincolnshire? When are you people going to demand more?
Reply: 24 - 81
HertsGTFC
September 1, 2018, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
The squad overall is overall better than those who where available this time last year and the manager is hungrier, cleverer and more ambitious.

Similar to previous years the squad has not been competed until the deadline and it will take time for the additions to get match fit and sharp.

The manager and his team (Dave Moore apart) are relative rookies at this level but are intelligent, well qualified, have a plan and understand the value of building a club culture.

We need to find a balance as we look better on the right than the left, ideally I think we need to just identify what shape suits us best. The defense, again once settled should be o.k.

Last season Slade changed the front 2 each week if we didn't score MJ needs to be brave and keep faith in a front 2 partnership for a good few games at a time as this alongside getting the best mid field shape/combinations the only way we'll score goals.

Manage your expectations this season will be a bumpy ride next season we'll be comparative for sure.

Also for all of those yearning for Buckley style passing football we are a fourth division team and our players play at that level for a reason, these days not many pass their way out of the EFL basement.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 81
WokingMariner
September 1, 2018, 10:15pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from 75

It's only division 4 FFS, we are Grimsby. Is it fair to say we are now the third best club in Lincolnshire? When are you people going to demand more?

Aren't we the third best-funded club in Lincolnshire though? The manager can only be expected to do on a par with where his budget puts him. All he can and do is put bums on seats and hope that the money in his pot keeps going up. Grimsby have never had big crowds, we were getting a lot less in the Championship than Lincoln are now.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 81
September 1, 2018, 10:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from WokingMariner

Aren't we the third best-funded club in Lincolnshire though? The manager can only be expected to do on a par with where his budget puts him. All he can and do is put bums on seats and hope that the money in his pot keeps going up. Grimsby have never had big crowds, we were getting a lot less in the Championship than Lincoln are now.

Never in my life have we been the third best club in Lincolnshire. It's early days, but it really looks that way. That is very sad, humiliating and all under one mans watch. Along with relegation from the football league, two very near relegations from the football league. Countless spats with the media, flag deconstructions, fans forum embarrassments and now LINCOLN are a better club than we are. Come on, it's a joke when a club like that are better than we are.

Fenty out.
Reply: 27 - 81
MuddyWaters
September 1, 2018, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 75

Never in my life have we been the third best club in Lincolnshire. It's early days, but it really looks that way. That is very sad, humiliating and all under one mans watch. Along with relegation from the football league, two very near relegations from the football league. Countless spats with the media, flag deconstructions, fans forum embarrassments and now LINCOLN are a better club than we are. Come on, it's a joke when a club like that are better than we are.

Fenty out.

I don't know how embedded your tongue is in your cheek but this is the essence of the problem.

Fenty thought that paying off the tax debt would be his rite of passage whereas it has become the millstone around his neck and he is now desperately trying to claw back his benign loans rather than 'risk' further investment. While all this is going on, there is no news from him, the board or the mighty Extreme about the one thing that might offer a glimpse of a way out. Since Philip Day announced that we would be in the Championship in 5 years there has been nothing from the board - not a peep. By hook or by crook, they've found a bright, articulate manager that they can hide behind - and, guess what, that's exactly what they are doing. Leaders or losers?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 81
ginnywings
September 1, 2018, 10:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Have to agree with BP. Why are Lincoln now well above us? Because the Cowley's turned them around instantly, won the Conference, which we never looked like doing, went on a fantastic cup run, which brought in loads of money, and more importantly, brought the fans flooding in. They then reach the play offs and win the Checkatrade in their first season back in the league, and are now the early pace setters. All the while, we keep getting told "wait until the manager has had time, wait until the players gel".

I've been waiting patiently for over a decade, and...........

I will wait and see what Jolley does, but it gets harder and harder every season, especially when we are so poor at home. The fans are getting bored and disengaged.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How long is 'transition'?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.