7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
mariners1
August 18, 2018, 4:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +201
Gold Stars: 1
I'm in the lower smiths, clee end so very clear view of the penalty award. Soft but it was a poor challenge from Collins and it was a pen. It was noticeable that as the second half wore on akinde was playing on collins much more as he was getting nothing out of whatmore. 20 years as a pro u shouldn't be making such a poor challenge and giving the referee a decision to make. Akinde was only going to be able to play the ball backwards and collins totally responsible.IMHO.
Such a shame as certainly deserved to win today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 60
Ipswin
August 18, 2018, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Great point today but I'm wondering who can claim the moral victory (so important in derby games)

My first thought was definitely Town, we put the Lincoln idiots who expected to win easily in their place but nagging me is the thought that they are sniggering at us having got a point they didn't deserve by one of their team blatantly cheating and conning the referee

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
August 18, 2018, 4:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Gutted!

Not a victory but definitely a moral victory. No way did they deserve a point from that game, but Akinde did what Akinde does and the ref falls for it again. I think that was their only shot at goal that troubled us, and despite having their fair share of the ball, they didn't do much at all with it.

Rumours of their greatness and our demise looked a bit premature on that showing and twice in the game we had spells where we had them under intense pressure, but credit to Lincoln, they dug in and rode the storms. It was all about the second goal today, and as well as we played, we just couldn't get it. Thought Boyeson had a good game until the pen, but i think he got that one wrong. I'll need to see it again, but that twit has done it so many times, he's an expert con artist. Wouldn't have minded so much had they scored a good goal, a bit like ours in fact, which was an excellent strike from the games best player Woolford. He was finding holes in their defence constantly, but it wasn't to be. Everyone did their part in what was a great performance.

The new guy showed in 10 mins what a good addition he will be. Good control, good shielding and awareness of players around him. He looks the real deal to me.

Did i mention i am gutted?

Spot on that. I feel a whole lot happier tonight than after the previous 2 home games.

It never ceases to amaze football - where did Woolford get that performance from? You would imagine the next few results might be a bit up and down, but if we can settle down and play anything like that the season could turn out pretty good, but after FGR and Rochdale I thought we looked slow and rather cumbersome, but I guess these things take time to gel.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 60
oldun
August 18, 2018, 4:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Well done everyone. Shame we did not get three points our play deserved. I cannot comment about the pen as the incident as too far away. What I do know we played some good football at times and regularly carved Lincoln open. We created plenty of attempts but last ditch defending held firm. Work rate was good, defending solid, apart from catches Macca did not have a shot to save. Liked the look of Wes Thomas when he came on. I thought it might be a tough game for young Clifton but he grew into the game and showed a lot of confidence. I must mention John Welsh, what a leader, he is like a terrier winning the ball for us time and time again, only a couple of misplaced passes and a couple of fouls in the whole game. Brilliant, pleased he is a Mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 60
oldun
August 18, 2018, 5:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I noticed Whitehouse was in the stands sending signal the bench about what formation and tactic changes Lincoln were going to make. Good on him. He is one of ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 60
lew chaterleys lover
August 18, 2018, 5:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mariners1
I'm in the lower smiths, clee end so very clear view of the penalty award. Soft but it was a poor challenge from Collins and it was a pen. It was noticeable that as the second half wore on akinde was playing on collins much more as he was getting nothing out of whatmore. 20 years as a pro u shouldn't be making such a poor challenge and giving the referee a decision to make. Akinde was only going to be able to play the ball backwards and collins totally responsible.IMHO.
Such a shame as certainly deserved to win today

This is what gets my goat with penalties. Lets just say it maybe was, maybe wasn't and on a different day another ref would give us a free kick for Akindes backing in.

My real gripe though is the "offence" took place right on the edge of the area, no clear goal scoring opportunity, and Akinde with back to goal would have done well to even bring down such a punt, let alone score.

But up comes the ref and gives a penalty which is basically a goal. All the work we put in, all the really good forward play we created, all gone to waste for something that many would, argue wasn't even a foul.

We all love penalties when they go for you, but God they are terrible for the blood pressure. I know they are the rules, but I sometimes wonder when the rules were drawn up all those years ago whether they thought today's challenge warrants a penalty (goal) or whether they had in mind more obvious cases of stopping a goal from being scored?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 60
Grumps
August 18, 2018, 5:03pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +357
Totally enjoyed the game. Welch & Woolford outstanding. Great to see BP packed and rocking. Onwards and upwards

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 60
Townee82
August 18, 2018, 5:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Lincolns (Cowleys) limited one dimensional football exposed by a highly competent but quiet toothless side today well done Town if we can find the goals then off we go , I'm sure they'll come . UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 60
ROKERITE
August 18, 2018, 5:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
What a difference a fortnight makes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 60
newarkmariner
August 18, 2018, 5:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
well back in Newark and the gimps are nowhere to be seen, all gob last night saying how it would be 3 or 4 nil, all I can say is lucky lucky bast@rds, never a peno, we got diddly from ref or linesman 2nd half,but what a great game Town played,if they are one off the favourites then our odds must have shortened because at times we cut them to pieces ,Woolford superb,welsh absolute class and defended from the front too a man, lovely movement up front had them chasing shadows at times and but for some last ditch tackles we would have been 2 or 3 clear, before there MOTM Boyeson gave the diving cheating fooktard Akinde his weekly pen(thought he was bloody junk)if it wasnt for penalties he would just be a black Vernon,and thats being harsh on Vernon.anyway onwards and upwards because if we perform like that for a majority of the season we wont be far off,UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.