Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 18, 2018, 3:10pm
How on earth Lincoln robbed us of 3 points I'll never know, was it even a penalty?

Great performance by Town, shows we can mix it with the supposedly best.
Posted by: mimma, August 18, 2018, 3:22pm; Reply: 1
Great performance from all the players today. We were by far the better side through the game. They had two shots in the second half, one was a very very harsh penalty. Woolford was unplayable constantly beating man after man. His goal was a very good finish after a cross was knocked back to him in the center of the D.
Lincoln couldn't keep the ball and were constantly harried into giving it back. Our defence easily kept them at bay while up front we looked inventive and could have had more but for last ditch defending.

To an outsider you would have thought it was Town that were walking the league and not the wimps. Very lucky team.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 18, 2018, 3:34pm; Reply: 2
Walking away my main thoughts are how impressive Town where in terms of endeavour, work rate, attitude and wanting to take the game to the so called big (spenders) guns.

We deserved all 3 and where pretty much robbbed by a ref and a player who has form.

Well done Town, really good effort.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 18, 2018, 3:35pm; Reply: 3
Gutted!

Not a victory but definitely a moral victory. No way did they deserve a point from that game, but Akinde did what Akinde does and the ref falls for it again. I think that was their only shot at goal that troubled us, and despite having their fair share of the ball, they didn't do much at all with it.

Rumours of their greatness and our demise looked a bit premature on that showing and twice in the game we had spells where we had them under intense pressure, but credit to Lincoln, they dug in and rode the storms. It was all about the second goal today, and as well as we played, we just couldn't get it. Thought Boyeson had a good game until the pen, but i think he got that one wrong. I'll need to see it again, but that twit has done it so many times, he's an expert con artist. Wouldn't have minded so much had they scored a good goal, a bit like ours in fact, which was an excellent strike from the games best player Woolford. He was finding holes in their defence constantly, but it wasn't to be. Everyone did their part in what was a great performance.

The new guy showed in 10 mins what a good addition he will be. Good control, good shielding and awareness of players around him. He looks the real deal to me.

Did i mention i am gutted?
Posted by: Hagrid, August 18, 2018, 3:36pm; Reply: 4
I question every time we get that helmet, why we have a ref who we have lodged a complaint against with The FA about and is Hull born. Todays decision was a flipping disgrace. But town were excellent, woolford best player on the park
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, August 18, 2018, 3:41pm; Reply: 5
What a game. If the gimps are one of the benchmark teams and we keep playing like that we have nothing to worry about, we just need to start putting all those chances in the net. We tour them a new bottom hole today. And that was never a peno. The ref reminded me of those blind ones we kept getting in the conference.  UTM
Posted by: Cloudy, August 18, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 6
Certainly should have won but sometimes you need to make sure you do.

Woolford was my MOM although Hess, Whatmore, Welsh were very impressive. Davis ok defensively but delivery not great but accept he is a centre back really.

McCartan and Bostwick the Imps best players but they looked a million away from runaway Champions many of their fans claim them to be. Imps made more noise when they brought 450 fans than their 1800 today, plastics indeed.

Impressed today, just need to make sure this is the level we reach consistently
Posted by: ginnywings, August 18, 2018, 3:50pm; Reply: 7
Yeah, forgot to mention their 'fans'. Very poor showing from them until they scored. Thought they would be roaring their team on in the second half, with the Imps kicking toward them, but they were very flat, pretty much like their team really. Think our team shocked them a bit and took the wind out of their sails. It wasn't the victory parade they were prematurely expecting.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 18, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings
Yeah, forgot to mention their 'fans'. Very poor showing from them until they scored. Thought they would be roaring their team on in the second half, with the Imps kicking toward them, but they were very flat, pretty much like their team really. Think our team shocked them a bit and took the wind out of their sails. It wasn't the victory parade they were prematurely expecting.

Suppose it's pretty much like us when we get a big away following. Best when there's 500-1000. Get near 2000 and it gets a bit watered down.
Posted by: Belfast Town, August 18, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 9
My first game of the season. Very impressed with the quality of our football. Woolford and Welsh were the standouts in an excellent team performance. UTFM
Posted by: mariners1, August 18, 2018, 4:33pm; Reply: 10
I'm in the lower smiths, clee end so very clear view of the penalty award. Soft but it was a poor challenge from Collins and it was a pen. It was noticeable that as the second half wore on akinde was playing on collins much more as he was getting nothing out of whatmore. 20 years as a pro u shouldn't be making such a poor challenge and giving the referee a decision to make. Akinde was only going to be able to play the ball backwards and collins totally responsible.IMHO.
Such a shame as certainly deserved to win today
Posted by: Ipswin, August 18, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 11
Great point today but I'm wondering who can claim the moral victory (so important in derby games)

My first thought was definitely Town, we put the Lincoln idiots who expected to win easily in their place but nagging me is the thought that they are sniggering at us having got a point they didn't deserve by one of their team blatantly cheating and conning the referee
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 18, 2018, 4:49pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings
Gutted!

Not a victory but definitely a moral victory. No way did they deserve a point from that game, but Akinde did what Akinde does and the ref falls for it again. I think that was their only shot at goal that troubled us, and despite having their fair share of the ball, they didn't do much at all with it.

Rumours of their greatness and our demise looked a bit premature on that showing and twice in the game we had spells where we had them under intense pressure, but credit to Lincoln, they dug in and rode the storms. It was all about the second goal today, and as well as we played, we just couldn't get it. Thought Boyeson had a good game until the pen, but i think he got that one wrong. I'll need to see it again, but that twit has done it so many times, he's an expert con artist. Wouldn't have minded so much had they scored a good goal, a bit like ours in fact, which was an excellent strike from the games best player Woolford. He was finding holes in their defence constantly, but it wasn't to be. Everyone did their part in what was a great performance.

The new guy showed in 10 mins what a good addition he will be. Good control, good shielding and awareness of players around him. He looks the real deal to me.

Did i mention i am gutted?

Spot on that. I feel a whole lot happier tonight than after the previous 2 home games.

It never ceases to amaze football - where did Woolford get that performance from? You would imagine the next few results might be a bit up and down, but if we can settle down and play anything like that the season could turn out pretty good, but after FGR and Rochdale I thought we looked slow and rather cumbersome, but I guess these things take time to gel.
Posted by: oldun, August 18, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 13
Well done everyone. Shame we did not get three points our play deserved. I cannot comment about the pen as the incident as too far away. What I do know we played some good football at times and regularly carved Lincoln open. We created plenty of attempts but last ditch defending held firm. Work rate was good, defending solid, apart from catches Macca did not have a shot to save. Liked the look of Wes Thomas when he came on. I thought it might be a tough game for young Clifton but he grew into the game and showed a lot of confidence. I must mention John Welsh, what a leader, he is like a terrier winning the ball for us time and time again, only a couple of misplaced passes and a couple of fouls in the whole game. Brilliant, pleased he is a Mariner.
Posted by: oldun, August 18, 2018, 5:01pm; Reply: 14
I noticed Whitehouse was in the stands sending signal the bench about what formation and tactic changes Lincoln were going to make. Good on him. He is one of ours.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 18, 2018, 5:02pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mariners1
I'm in the lower smiths, clee end so very clear view of the penalty award. Soft but it was a poor challenge from Collins and it was a pen. It was noticeable that as the second half wore on akinde was playing on collins much more as he was getting nothing out of whatmore. 20 years as a pro u shouldn't be making such a poor challenge and giving the referee a decision to make. Akinde was only going to be able to play the ball backwards and collins totally responsible.IMHO.
Such a shame as certainly deserved to win today

This is what gets my goat with penalties. Lets just say it maybe was, maybe wasn't and on a different day another ref would give us a free kick for Akindes backing in.

My real gripe though is the "offence" took place right on the edge of the area, no clear goal scoring opportunity, and Akinde with back to goal would have done well to even bring down such a punt, let alone score.

But up comes the ref and gives a penalty which is basically a goal. All the work we put in, all the really good forward play we created, all gone to waste for something that many would, argue wasn't even a foul.

We all love penalties when they go for you, but God they are terrible for the blood pressure. I know they are the rules, but I sometimes wonder when the rules were drawn up all those years ago whether they thought today's challenge warrants a penalty (goal) or whether they had in mind more obvious cases of stopping a goal from being scored?
Posted by: Grumps, August 18, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 16
Totally enjoyed the game. Welch & Woolford outstanding. Great to see BP packed and rocking. Onwards and upwards

UTM
Posted by: Townee82, August 18, 2018, 5:09pm; Reply: 17
Lincolns (Cowleys) limited one dimensional football exposed by a highly competent but quiet toothless side today well done Town if we can find the goals then off we go , I'm sure they'll come . UTMM
Posted by: ROKERITE, August 18, 2018, 5:11pm; Reply: 18
What a difference a fortnight makes.
Posted by: newarkmariner, August 18, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 19
well back in Newark and the gimps are nowhere to be seen, all gob last night saying how it would be 3 or 4 nil, all I can say is lucky lucky bast@rds, never a peno, we got diddly from ref or linesman 2nd half,but what a great game Town played,if they are one off the favourites then our odds must have shortened because at times we cut them to pieces ,Woolford superb,welsh absolute class and defended from the front too a man, lovely movement up front had them chasing shadows at times and but for some last ditch tackles we would have been 2 or 3 clear, before there MOTM Boyeson gave the diving cheating fooktard Akinde his weekly pen(thought he was bloody junk)if it wasnt for penalties he would just be a black Vernon,and thats being harsh on Vernon.anyway onwards and upwards because if we perform like that for a majority of the season we wont be far off,UTFM
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 18, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 20
Air raid siren for sale. Hardly used. £25. May swap for premier league shirt or large slice of humble pie. Call 01522 617617.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 18, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 21
We looked a bit nervous and were making a lot of mistakes first 10-15 minutes. But grew into the game as it wore on.

A lot of positives today against one of the fancied sides this season. Unlucky not to get all 3 points. We created several good opportunities but paid the price for not being clinical enough.

Woolford MOM. Hessenthaler, Whitmore also impressive. Famewo's confidence grew throughout the game and he can be very pleased with his performance today.

A big improvement on the FGR game. Hopefully the team with continue to gel over the coming weeks.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 18, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 22
Where are the Suicide Squad from 2 weeks ago?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 18, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 23
Great alround  team performance.  Encouraging for the rest of the season, plus 2 new players.

Lincoln offered very little.
Posted by: lukeo, August 18, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 24
My first game in a while, I felt we where the better team once we got our goal. They clearly have a game plan of knocking it long after a few tippy tappy passes at the back. Can't say much individually apart from I noticed Welsh was a machine. Our left back was poor defensively first half. Overall 9 year omg lad with me today loved the pontoon atmosphere, the Mrs loved mighty mariner and I felt we played well most of the game. I think this season will be a transition but their is no reason why we can't be up and around their somewhere with this team. Utm
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 18, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 25
Started slowly but we grew into the game and dominated. Deserved to be further in front and needed to be more ruthless. Soft pen for the equaliser.
Woolford head and shoulders the star performer. Thought Clifton, Hessenthaler and Welsh were also excellent.

Best home performance I’ve seen for a long while, play like that and more often than not we will get the result we deserve.
Posted by: MidnightMariner, August 18, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from marinerdazza
Air raid siren for sale. Hardly used. £25. May swap for premier league shirt or large slice of humble pie. Call 01522 617617.

Lol
Love this 😂🤣😂🤣
Utm
Posted by: fiveallive, August 18, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 27
Woolford was excellent and Hessenthaler was great aswell from what I watched on TV.

Woolford is excellent in that 4-5-1 formation.

It was great to see us dominate in midfield against a strong Frecklington and O'connor. Alex Woodyard is a big loss for them he was classy midfield they haven't replaced him since he left.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 18, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 28
Robbed of 3 points, we were excellent today.

Special mentions to woolford and hessenthaler .
Posted by: ska face, August 18, 2018, 6:16pm; Reply: 29
Think we played with an intelligence well above what we’ve seen for years, helped no doubt by Welsh and Woolford. I was really impressed with Famewo, to say that was only his second ever -football league start, and at 19 was strong, combative and calm on the ball bar one or two mis-hit passes in the first half (as did many others). Also did well to get forward considering he’s a left-sided centre half. Clifton didn’t look out of place at all against what many expect to be a team who’ll go straight up, and I think that’s a case of the formation and style suiting him.

Lincoln played with an arrogance not matched by their ability - balls drilled out from their keeper to the touch line where town forced them back inside where we were happy to let Bostwick have it and regroup for the inevitable punt. Thought McCarten looked lively and Akinde does what he’s always done.

The best thing to take home from that performance is, for the first time in a long time, hope. It’s the third match these have played together, many of these players managed well under 30 appearances last season wherever they played for whatever reason. We’re still signing players and Thomas looked really handy when he came on - again an experienced head which is what we’ll need. 7k in there today so about 2.5k floating fans, now we need to keep them coming back and if people want to see a committed, hard working team, they’ll be back to watch this squad.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 18, 2018, 6:40pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Where are the Suicide Squad from 2 weeks ago?

You know what they say about the crazy ones 😁
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, August 18, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 31
Went thinking that I'd be very happy with a point and came away feeling like we'd been robbed of 2.

An impressive performance albeit against an average looking side, but that second goal somehow eluded us.

Haven't seen any mention of Cook's performance today which I thought was excellent. Lots of movement and some very intelligent runs .

Up the football league we go :)
Posted by: Pontooner, August 18, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 32
Really enjoyed that. First in a long time that I've seen Town pile sustained pressure on an opposition goalmouth. Probably our best midfield performance for ages too. Competitive, mobile and creative.

Only a cameo, but Wes Thomas looks to have a bit of quality.
Posted by: bigdavemariner, August 18, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 33
Think Clifton deserves a special mention. Local lad so knew what it meant today. He got stuck into every challenge, but what impressed me most was that he always looked to carry the ball forwards and be positive in possession. Looked a natural fit in midfield and really gave the midfield some energy and legs along side Welsh.
The new wing back is coming in as a right back I think and the lad at left back really gives us pace and some attacking mentality down each wing.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 18, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Pontooner
Really enjoyed that. First in a long time that I've seen Town pile sustained pressure on an opposition goalmouth. Probably our best midfield performance for ages too. Competitive, mobile and creative.

Only a cameo, but Wes Thomas looks to have a bit of quality.

With Clifton, Hessenthaler and Welsh we have some real gas in midfield for once. That coupled with the skill of Woolford worked well today. We look decent with the ball on the floor.

If we can just get the combination up front right we may not get promoted but we could be entertained!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 18, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 35
Woolford....what can you say, about him today, absolutely left their defenders chasing shadows at times, MOTM for me, Welsh, absolute battle hardened warrior in that midfield and Clifton played some really intelligent balls which Cook picked up nearly every time, superb team performance and not one player left an.ounce of energy out there today...got to say Hopper gave it a good go, had a couple of half chances and Lincoln need to thank their lucky stars because, for me, today they were given a footballing lesson....and the Cowleys, not so smug now are ya!!!...one dimensional with no plan B at al...see you at Sincil Bank to show true way support looks like!!...UTM til I die
Posted by: Bigdog, August 18, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 36
Hugely impressed with the Town performance today. Gutted for the players and MJ that they didn't get the three points the performance they deserved. Funny game football. Having that standard of performance for only a draw in the memory bank will help to achieve a higher points total this season than a scrappy undeserved victory. Lincoln were a team without any pace and very disappointing. Overhyping doesn't get you promoted. They'll be there or thereabouts but they're nowhere near as good as some teams we've seen leave this division and nowhere near as good as us even though we had effectively four or five of our squad missing today and they're about a year ahead of us in squad cycle too.

McKeown - Did everything well today even though he didn't have much to do. Claimed his crosses well too.

Davis - Did ok defensively, linked up well going forward.

Whitmore - Starting to really like him. Beast of a player and was very dominant against the Lincoln forwards.

Collins - Looks like he's playing on the edge, at the absolute limit of his physical ability. Lucky not to get sent off and yes it wasn't a clear cut penalty but he's old enough and wise enough to know better than give Akinde the chance to sucker him in.

Famewo - Looked a class act when he settled into the game. Would like to see him replace Collins when MJ thinks he's ready.

Woolford - Wide right with a full back behind him looks his natural position where he can express himself. Proved me wrong today, was a class act.

Welsh - Beast, called a has been by Lincoln fans. Made O'Connor and Frecklington look like old men.

Hessenthaler - Love having him in the team. Lively and rarely puts a foot wrong. Got a right engine on him.

Clifton - Pleased for Harry today. Big confidence boost for the lad. Looked a bit lost once or twice but can be very proud of his performance and has convinced me that he can do a job centrally as and when he is needed.

Hooper - Ineffectual again. Vernam can do twice the job he can do. Done nothing the first three games this season. Is it confidence or is that just the way he is? Can't start again Tuesday can he?

Cook - Unsung hero today. Busy, held the ball up well and was a real handful for the Lincoln backline.

We deserved three points today, but even though the ref robbed us of what we deserved, I hope every Town fan has a bit more of a spring in their step tonight. Lincoln fans will say that they didn't turn up today. They did, we didn't let them play and there'll be plenty of other teams who won't let them play this season. There won't be more than five places between both of the sides at the end of the season.. either way..
Posted by: immariner, August 18, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 37
Will need to see again but like the person above who said they sit Osmond end Lower Findus, I thought it seemed a definite, if soft, penalty and a daft chall3nge by such an experienced defender. No bad games today but once Thomas is fit, would like to see Cook and Vernam supporting from wide.

Final note- less home fans than for Village Green.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 18, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 38
I havent seen any specific praise for Michael Jolley and Anthony Limbrick and for me they deserve heaps. They got their tactics absolutely spot on, nullified Lincoln's powerful midfield and attack and set us up in a way that made us solid but dangerous!

Putting Famewo in at left back was a risk, but also genius IMO... as far as I'm aware this lad hasn't played LB before so to put him in there in a big derby game, they must have seen something they could exploit. I'm sure Lincoln would have planned for Dixon at LB!

For me, today they gave the Cowley brothers a lesson in tactics and strategy and I'll bet they won't be the last to go away out-thought!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're very lucky having the management/coaching team we do!!
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 18, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 39
Jolley got it spot on today, the decision to put 4 cbs was really brave but it did exactly what I presumed it was designed to do, win every single header.

Cook, Woolford, Hess and Welsh were phenomenal, one of the best all round midfield performances I’ve seen at BP in years. Special mention to Clifton as well.

Defence didn’t look comfortable at times with the ball to feet, a lot of nervous passes at the start. Famewo began like he’s never played football before and finished like a seasoned pro, really impressed.

Hooper is our weak link I’m afraid, he’s just too ineffective and Thomas showed the difference between the two with some excellent touches.

As somebody said earlier, this performance gave us hope. We’ve played the league favourites off the pitch and with 1-2 additions we could well be a real force.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 18, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 40
Enjoyed the game apart from result. Never a pen, ball was above head height, Colins jumped to head it Akindi-Pen ducked and backed into him, correct result should have bee free kick to Town, Akwindy made no attempt to get to challenge for the ball. Cant wait for Wes to replace Hooper who isn't really showing much so far this season, otherwise thought everyone played really well.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 18, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I havent seen any specific praise for Michael Jolley and Anthony Limbrick and for me they deserve heaps. They got their tactics absolutely spot on, nullified Lincoln's powerful midfield and attack and set us up in a way that made us solid but dangerous!

Putting Famewo in at left back was a risk, but also genius IMO... as far as I'm aware this lad hasn't played LB before so to put him in there in a big derby game, they must have seen something they could exploit. I'm sure Lincoln would have planned for Dixon at LB!

For me, today they gave the Cowley brothers a lesson in tactics and strategy and I'll bet they won't be the last to go away out-thought!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're very lucky having the management/coaching team we do!!

Agree, On the pitch their players where out fought off the pitch their management where out thought!
Posted by: Cloudy, August 18, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 42
Hooper played up and down the left hand side, getting back to help Famewo on quite a few occasions.
Is Wes Thomas going to do that?

Of course he isn’t, he is an out and out striker, totally different to Hooper
Posted by: lee65, August 18, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 43
On the commentary, Hooper was praised a number of times for his tracking back
Posted by: LH, August 18, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 44
Impressed and surprised at that performance if I’m totally honest - a complete turnaround from the only other occassion I’ve seen us this season (FGR).

Special mentions for Welsh, Cook and Woolford who were all superb but there wasn’t any bad performances as far as Town were concerned today. I said at half time that it’d be nice if Hooper turned it up a bit and without really doing anything he managed a couple of good efforts. He also showed a clever bit of defending to allow it run for a goal kick after waiting for the linesman to see if the flag would go up - a sign of football intelligence and awareness that I might not have credited him with before today.

As far as Lincoln are concerned I thought they were junk. Probably a bit of that was how good we were at nullifying them but some of their comments this week suggested they were coming for a guard of honour and an easy 3 points so maybe complacency through overconfidence. Looks as though they will be waiting at least another week or two to get their hands on the trophy...
Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 18, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 45
I am not going to.lie - I predicted a heavy loss although I am never right so it was a bit of reverse physicology.
Someone on here (might have been Ginny) lamenting on the lack of entertainment at Blundell Park over the last few seasons which I concurred with.
Let me tell you if Town serve a little more of what we had to day then I will gladly do the 200 mile round trip journey each time.
Thought they were all immense although some more than others grew into the game. Woolford was immense but I would like to give a shout out to Davis at right back. His distribution wasn't the best  in the first half but he got better and was involved in a lot of the attacking play in the second half.  Onwards and hopefully upwards.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 18, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Cloudy
Hooper played up and down the left hand side, getting back to help Famewo on quite a few occasions.
Is Wes Thomas going to do that?

Of course he isn’t, he is an out and out striker, totally different to Hooper

I thought Hooper worked hard for the team today and I agree with Cloudy TBH.

I like JJ when he does things without thinking, he does need someone with him to create space for him to fashion a chance. I’ve been impressed with Cooke but maybe Wes and JJ could be the pairing?

Seems to me that after this weeks signings and lads coming back from injury MJ now has a squad to find the right blend from...... we may not have the most expensive or biggest reputations but actually when everyone is fit we might just have some flexibility.

Posted by: coddy60, August 18, 2018, 10:08pm; Reply: 47
Was coming home from holiday and listening to Sir Alan on the radio, and he was purring over some of our play.
If the lads impressed him it must have been some display UTM
Posted by: TAGG, August 18, 2018, 10:42pm; Reply: 48
Great performances all over the pitch today.
We were robbed today by a excrement decision.
Pen was the only way they were going to score.
I gave Famewo stick for his poor first half performance but someone must have put there arm around him and told him to chill a bit because he was great in the second half.
Great game of football today.
Onward and upward
UTM
Posted by: Skrill, August 18, 2018, 11:02pm; Reply: 49
Good competent team-play today, pleased to see it. Now all we need is consistency. Love how MJ and AL are creating a passing team, delightful and honourable these two.  
Posted by: Tommy, August 19, 2018, 12:21am; Reply: 50
First time I've got to a game so far this season. Really enjoyed it the game and was impressed with us.

Town in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3. Lincoln looked to be 4-2-3-1.

Thought we were slow to get going and and we almost gave Lincoln a couple of half-chances with underhit or sloppy passes. In the opposition half, a couple of players vastly overhit passes early on too. Lincoln had a bit more controlled possession early on but it was in areas that they couldn't hurt us.

We started to play more football and put little combinations together the longer the half went on. Woolford was at the heart of most of it. Hessenthaler and Cook also involved in plenty of positive play with Welsh supporting from behind and controlling from deep. Often during those frustrating periods of head-tennis it was Welsh to bring it down on his chest and help us get the ball down again.

Lincoln seemed to want to play a bit in deeper areas but more often than not would just resort to a lofted ball up towards Akinde. He doesn't seem to have the pace anymore that I remember him having for Barnet in their conference winning season, so he now has to lay it off and get himself in the box rather than being able to run with it himself. i.e. he's not as dangerous as he once was.

We tried a few clever set play routines throughout the game so I'll be interested to see this aspect of the game in the coming weeks and if we can turn some into goals.

Great goal from Woolford whose use of the ball was excellent throughout the game, whether he was running with it or finding passes. He looks full of confidence at the moment and looks comfortable in that "right-forward" role in a team that looks to play a bit of football. Really good controlled strike for the goal.

Second half and I was expecting Lincoln to come out and give it a real go. But it was us that started the stronger again and had them pinned back for good spells in the first 10-15 mins of the half. I thought at the time we could have done with scoring in this spell of being on top. Later i didn't think it would matter because Lincoln weren't offering anything in terms of threatening our goal.

But from a combination of Collins' judgement and a ref buying the Akinde act then we'd have ended up with the win anyway. Didn't think it was a penalty at the time. Collins was the only one trying to get up and head the ball. Akinde knew that so stood still knowing there would be contact and he could make it look like a penalty to someone who wouldn't understand that process. The ref didn't see what was happening and gives the pen. Could argue Collins should know better and shouldn't give Akinde that chance to buy a pen.

From that point on you could see Cowley trying to get Lincoln to slow it down whenever there was a break in play or before a restart. They were happy to settle for the point. He got away with one really as his team were second best and he did nothing to try and change that, getting lucky with a penalty.

Thomas looked like he could be a decent signing when he came on. A bit more of a "number 9" than we've got in the squad elsewhere. A few times we played balls across the 6yard box but we didn't have a striker with that instinct of being in the right place to put it in the net.

Cook did well. Worked hard and links play up well. Better with the ball at his feet facing the opposition goal though. The problem is for him to do that it means dropping deeper and when he's the lone striker that leaves us with not enough attacking depth.

Hooper wasn't poor by any means but I do wonder whether Vernam could've given us more zest from that side going forward. Or even Cook moved out there when Thomas came on to play central.

Thought Hessenthaler showed real promise. Him and Clifton broke forward with good energy at times and ensured Cook wasn't left isolated. A real good blend in the midfield with the energy of those two complimented by Welsh sitting behind them mopping up and directing attacking moves.

Not getting carried away but plenty of good signs. Just need to be more ruthless in the final third but hoping Thomas will give us that extra something in that regard.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 19, 2018, 1:55am; Reply: 51
Thanks Tommy learnt more from that 1.post then enyewhere else.sounds v encouraging.proud to be a mariner
Posted by: golfer, August 19, 2018, 9:56am; Reply: 52
Thought Hooper put in a lot of hard work interchanging with our young back-they combined well and with Thomas looking a good signing the future looks a sight more rosy -well played Woolford-man of match
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 19, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 53
Imo although hooper did get back yesterday to help out him not too convinced he is what we need out wide.

He stands in the same position alot as yesterday he didnt seem to know if to run behind or stay for the ball and although there is no doubt he has improved i dont think its enough for him to be our guy on the left.

I give him credit for improving his game but we can do better in that position.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 19, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Imo although hooper did get back yesterday to help out him not too convinced he is what we need out wide.

He stands in the same position alot as yesterday he didnt seem to know if to run behind or stay for the ball and although there is no doubt he has improved i dont think its enough for him to be our guy on the left.

I give him credit for improving his game but we can do better in that position.

I agree!

He's undoubtedly improved since the start/middle third if last season but for me if we really what to challenge at the top end of the league we need better in that position.

JJ is an honest player who tries but I often watch him and as you say Johnny it looks like he doesn't know whether to stay or go, he's not overly fast or skillful and could probably utilise his strength and height more than he does.

For me he's a good option coming off the bench but I'd like to see a front 3 of....

Woolford___________________________Cook
                                Thomas

Having Vernham and Hooper are great options coming off the bench.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 19, 2018, 4:42pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from oldun
I noticed Whitehouse was in the stands sending signal the bench about what formation and tactic changes Lincoln were going to make. Good on him. He is one of ours.

Like that like that a lot
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 19, 2018, 4:43pm; Reply: 56

Here's a balanced view on the game from The Stacey West......the writer was conveniently at his annual family party   ;D  enjoy...

https://staceywest.net/2018/08/19/derby-day-deadlock-grimsby-town-1-1-imps/
Posted by: RoboCod, August 19, 2018, 4:54pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from promotion plaice

Here's a balanced view on the game from The Stacey West......the writer was conveniently on his annual family party   ;D  enjoy...

https://staceywest.net/2018/08/19/derby-day-deadlock-grimsby-town-1-1-imps/

It gets off to a good start.. whereas up the A46 you’d think they had won the league.

But then...

a draw at Grimsby isn’t a bad result for us and they shouldn’t be shocked at getting a point because from what I’ve seen and heard, they’re a decent outfit who are only a couple of players away from a proper play off push.

Clearly not written by ScotImp (who's currently under sedation) but by jove you've cracked it Lincoln, from now on ALWAYS go to a family party on derby day, it gives your match report a real ring of truth(thumbup2)
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 20, 2018, 3:08pm; Reply: 58
After that performance, there can't be any doubt that our best midfield combination is the one that started.

I think Rose has improved under Jolley and I value the attributes he brings, but Welsh, Clifton and Hessenthaler is the perfect combination of grit, energy, technical ability and ability to press.  

Once Clifton went off I thought we lost our way a little, it also meant Woolford had less of an impact from the role he was excelling in down the right flank.  

Felt a bit like a defeat to only draw after battering them for so long but it comes back to the old thing of taking your chances.  Thought Wes Thomas looked very useful when he came on, maybe felt the subs could have been made a little earlier but perhaps a little picky as no-one really deserved to be subbed - just felt fresh legs would have helped.
Posted by: hheh2, August 20, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from diehardmariner
After that performance, there can't be any doubt that our best midfield combination is the one that started.

I think Rose has improved under Jolley and I value the attributes he brings, but Welsh, Clifton and Hessenthaler is the perfect combination of grit, energy, technical ability and ability to press.  

Once Clifton went off I thought we lost our way a little, it also meant Woolford had less of an impact from the role he was excelling in down the right flank.  

Felt a bit like a defeat to only draw after battering them for so long but it comes back to the old thing of taking your chances.  Thought Wes Thomas looked very useful when he came on, maybe felt the subs could have been made a little earlier but perhaps a little picky as no-one really deserved to be subbed - just felt fresh legs would have helped.

I believe the fact the Clifton is a Grimsby lad gives he more impetus when he plays, probably the same reason why Crewe were very successful a few years back with lots of local talent.
Posted by: Bigdog, August 20, 2018, 3:32pm; Reply: 60
For anyone who hasn't seen it..

https://twitter.com/RichMariner/status/1031525640753872896

Thanks to @RichMariner on Twitter..
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:58am