7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
August 18, 2018, 9:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,049
Gold Stars: 49
Enjoyed the game apart from result. Never a pen, ball was above head height, Colins jumped to head it Akindi-Pen ducked and backed into him, correct result should have bee free kick to Town, Akwindy made no attempt to get to challenge for the ball. Cant wait for Wes to replace Hooper who isn't really showing much so far this season, otherwise thought everyone played really well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
HertsGTFC
August 18, 2018, 9:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I havent seen any specific praise for Michael Jolley and Anthony Limbrick and for me they deserve heaps. They got their tactics absolutely spot on, nullified Lincoln's powerful midfield and attack and set us up in a way that made us solid but dangerous!

Putting Famewo in at left back was a risk, but also genius IMO... as far as I'm aware this lad hasn't played LB before so to put him in there in a big derby game, they must have seen something they could exploit. I'm sure Lincoln would have planned for Dixon at LB!

For me, today they gave the Cowley brothers a lesson in tactics and strategy and I'll bet they won't be the last to go away out-thought!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're very lucky having the management/coaching team we do!!

Agree, On the pitch their players where out fought off the pitch their management where out thought!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
Cloudy
August 18, 2018, 9:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Hooper played up and down the left hand side, getting back to help Famewo on quite a few occasions.
Is Wes Thomas going to do that?

Of course he isn’t, he is an out and out striker, totally different to Hooper
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
lee65
August 18, 2018, 9:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
On the commentary, Hooper was praised a number of times for his tracking back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
LH
August 18, 2018, 9:31pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,456
Gold Stars: 172
Impressed and surprised at that performance if I’m totally honest - a complete turnaround from the only other occassion I’ve seen us this season (FGR).

Special mentions for Welsh, Cook and Woolford who were all superb but there wasn’t any bad performances as far as Town were concerned today. I said at half time that it’d be nice if Hooper turned it up a bit and without really doing anything he managed a couple of good efforts. He also showed a clever bit of defending to allow it run for a goal kick after waiting for the linesman to see if the flag would go up - a sign of football intelligence and awareness that I might not have credited him with before today.

As far as Lincoln are concerned I thought they were junk. Probably a bit of that was how good we were at nullifying them but some of their comments this week suggested they were coming for a guard of honour and an easy 3 points so maybe complacency through overconfidence. Looks as though they will be waiting at least another week or two to get their hands on the trophy...
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
chipsandgravy
August 18, 2018, 9:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
I am not going to.lie - I predicted a heavy loss although I am never right so it was a bit of reverse physicology.
Someone on here (might have been Ginny) lamenting on the lack of entertainment at Blundell Park over the last few seasons which I concurred with.
Let me tell you if Town serve a little more of what we had to day then I will gladly do the 200 mile round trip journey each time.
Thought they were all immense although some more than others grew into the game. Woolford was immense but I would like to give a shout out to Davis at right back. His distribution wasn't the best  in the first half but he got better and was involved in a lot of the attacking play in the second half.  Onwards and hopefully upwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
HertsGTFC
August 18, 2018, 9:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Cloudy
Hooper played up and down the left hand side, getting back to help Famewo on quite a few occasions.
Is Wes Thomas going to do that?

Of course he isn’t, he is an out and out striker, totally different to Hooper

I thought Hooper worked hard for the team today and I agree with Cloudy TBH.

I like JJ when he does things without thinking, he does need someone with him to create space for him to fashion a chance. I’ve been impressed with Cooke but maybe Wes and JJ could be the pairing?

Seems to me that after this weeks signings and lads coming back from injury MJ now has a squad to find the right blend from...... we may not have the most expensive or biggest reputations but actually when everyone is fit we might just have some flexibility.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
coddy60
August 18, 2018, 10:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Was coming home from holiday and listening to Sir Alan on the radio, and he was purring over some of our play.
If the lads impressed him it must have been some display UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
TAGG
August 18, 2018, 10:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Great performances all over the pitch today.
We were robbed today by a excrement decision.
Pen was the only way they were going to score.
I gave Famewo stick for his poor first half performance but someone must have put there arm around him and told him to chill a bit because he was great in the second half.
Great game of football today.
Onward and upward
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
Skrill
August 18, 2018, 11:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Good competent team-play today, pleased to see it. Now all we need is consistency. Love how MJ and AL are creating a passing team, delightful and honourable these two.  

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.