Swansea_Mariner
August 18, 2018, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Where are the Suicide Squad from 2 weeks ago?

You know what they say about the crazy ones 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
Balthazar Bullitt
August 18, 2018, 6:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Went thinking that I'd be very happy with a point and came away feeling like we'd been robbed of 2.

An impressive performance albeit against an average looking side, but that second goal somehow eluded us.

Haven't seen any mention of Cook's performance today which I thought was excellent. Lots of movement and some very intelligent runs .

Up the football league we go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
Pontooner
August 18, 2018, 7:23pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
Really enjoyed that. First in a long time that I've seen Town pile sustained pressure on an opposition goalmouth. Probably our best midfield performance for ages too. Competitive, mobile and creative.

Only a cameo, but Wes Thomas looks to have a bit of quality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
bigdavemariner
August 18, 2018, 7:51pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
Think Clifton deserves a special mention. Local lad so knew what it meant today. He got stuck into every challenge, but what impressed me most was that he always looked to carry the ball forwards and be positive in possession. Looked a natural fit in midfield and really gave the midfield some energy and legs along side Welsh.
The new wing back is coming in as a right back I think and the lad at left back really gives us pace and some attacking mentality down each wing.

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
HertsGTFC
August 18, 2018, 8:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,892
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from Pontooner
Really enjoyed that. First in a long time that I've seen Town pile sustained pressure on an opposition goalmouth. Probably our best midfield performance for ages too. Competitive, mobile and creative.

Only a cameo, but Wes Thomas looks to have a bit of quality.

With Clifton, Hessenthaler and Welsh we have some real gas in midfield for once. That coupled with the skill of Woolford worked well today. We look decent with the ball on the floor.

If we can just get the combination up front right we may not get promoted but we could be entertained!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
Northbank Mariner
August 18, 2018, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
Woolford....what can you say, about him today, absolutely left their defenders chasing shadows at times, MOTM for me, Welsh, absolute battle hardened warrior in that midfield and Clifton played some really intelligent balls which Cook picked up nearly every time, superb team performance and not one player left an.ounce of energy out there today...got to say Hopper gave it a good go, had a couple of half chances and Lincoln need to thank their lucky stars because, for me, today they were given a footballing lesson....and the Cowleys, not so smug now are ya!!!...one dimensional with no plan B at al...see you at Sincil Bank to show true way support looks like!!...UTM til I die
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
Bigdog
August 18, 2018, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Hugely impressed with the Town performance today. Gutted for the players and MJ that they didn't get the three points the performance they deserved. Funny game football. Having that standard of performance for only a draw in the memory bank will help to achieve a higher points total this season than a scrappy undeserved victory. Lincoln were a team without any pace and very disappointing. Overhyping doesn't get you promoted. They'll be there or thereabouts but they're nowhere near as good as some teams we've seen leave this division and nowhere near as good as us even though we had effectively four or five of our squad missing today and they're about a year ahead of us in squad cycle too.

McKeown - Did everything well today even though he didn't have much to do. Claimed his crosses well too.

Davis - Did ok defensively, linked up well going forward.

Whitmore - Starting to really like him. Beast of a player and was very dominant against the Lincoln forwards.

Collins - Looks like he's playing on the edge, at the absolute limit of his physical ability. Lucky not to get sent off and yes it wasn't a clear cut penalty but he's old enough and wise enough to know better than give Akinde the chance to sucker him in.

Famewo - Looked a class act when he settled into the game. Would like to see him replace Collins when MJ thinks he's ready.

Woolford - Wide right with a full back behind him looks his natural position where he can express himself. Proved me wrong today, was a class act.

Welsh - Beast, called a has been by Lincoln fans. Made O'Connor and Frecklington look like old men.

Hessenthaler - Love having him in the team. Lively and rarely puts a foot wrong. Got a right engine on him.

Clifton - Pleased for Harry today. Big confidence boost for the lad. Looked a bit lost once or twice but can be very proud of his performance and has convinced me that he can do a job centrally as and when he is needed.

Hooper - Ineffectual again. Vernam can do twice the job he can do. Done nothing the first three games this season. Is it confidence or is that just the way he is? Can't start again Tuesday can he?

Cook - Unsung hero today. Busy, held the ball up well and was a real handful for the Lincoln backline.

We deserved three points today, but even though the ref robbed us of what we deserved, I hope every Town fan has a bit more of a spring in their step tonight. Lincoln fans will say that they didn't turn up today. They did, we didn't let them play and there'll be plenty of other teams who won't let them play this season. There won't be more than five places between both of the sides at the end of the season.. either way..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
immariner
August 18, 2018, 8:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,402
Gold Stars: 59
Will need to see again but like the person above who said they sit Osmond end Lower Findus, I thought it seemed a definite, if soft, penalty and a daft chall3nge by such an experienced defender. No bad games today but once Thomas is fit, would like to see Cook and Vernam supporting from wide.

Final note- less home fans than for Village Green.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
Mighty_Mariner
August 18, 2018, 8:59pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I havent seen any specific praise for Michael Jolley and Anthony Limbrick and for me they deserve heaps. They got their tactics absolutely spot on, nullified Lincoln's powerful midfield and attack and set us up in a way that made us solid but dangerous!

Putting Famewo in at left back was a risk, but also genius IMO... as far as I'm aware this lad hasn't played LB before so to put him in there in a big derby game, they must have seen something they could exploit. I'm sure Lincoln would have planned for Dixon at LB!

For me, today they gave the Cowley brothers a lesson in tactics and strategy and I'll bet they won't be the last to go away out-thought!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we're very lucky having the management/coaching team we do!!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
pontoonlew
August 18, 2018, 9:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,812
Gold Stars: 167
Jolley got it spot on today, the decision to put 4 cbs was really brave but it did exactly what I presumed it was designed to do, win every single header.

Cook, Woolford, Hess and Welsh were phenomenal, one of the best all round midfield performances I’ve seen at BP in years. Special mention to Clifton as well.

Defence didn’t look comfortable at times with the ball to feet, a lot of nervous passes at the start. Famewo began like he’s never played football before and finished like a seasoned pro, really impressed.

Hooper is our weak link I’m afraid, he’s just too ineffective and Thomas showed the difference between the two with some excellent touches.

As somebody said earlier, this performance gave us hope. We’ve played the league favourites off the pitch and with 1-2 additions we could well be a real force.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.