7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
August 19, 2018, 12:21am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
First time I've got to a game so far this season. Really enjoyed it the game and was impressed with us.

Town in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3. Lincoln looked to be 4-2-3-1.

Thought we were slow to get going and and we almost gave Lincoln a couple of half-chances with underhit or sloppy passes. In the opposition half, a couple of players vastly overhit passes early on too. Lincoln had a bit more controlled possession early on but it was in areas that they couldn't hurt us.

We started to play more football and put little combinations together the longer the half went on. Woolford was at the heart of most of it. Hessenthaler and Cook also involved in plenty of positive play with Welsh supporting from behind and controlling from deep. Often during those frustrating periods of head-tennis it was Welsh to bring it down on his chest and help us get the ball down again.

Lincoln seemed to want to play a bit in deeper areas but more often than not would just resort to a lofted ball up towards Akinde. He doesn't seem to have the pace anymore that I remember him having for Barnet in their conference winning season, so he now has to lay it off and get himself in the box rather than being able to run with it himself. i.e. he's not as dangerous as he once was.

We tried a few clever set play routines throughout the game so I'll be interested to see this aspect of the game in the coming weeks and if we can turn some into goals.

Great goal from Woolford whose use of the ball was excellent throughout the game, whether he was running with it or finding passes. He looks full of confidence at the moment and looks comfortable in that "right-forward" role in a team that looks to play a bit of football. Really good controlled strike for the goal.

Second half and I was expecting Lincoln to come out and give it a real go. But it was us that started the stronger again and had them pinned back for good spells in the first 10-15 mins of the half. I thought at the time we could have done with scoring in this spell of being on top. Later i didn't think it would matter because Lincoln weren't offering anything in terms of threatening our goal.

But from a combination of Collins' judgement and a ref buying the Akinde act then we'd have ended up with the win anyway. Didn't think it was a penalty at the time. Collins was the only one trying to get up and head the ball. Akinde knew that so stood still knowing there would be contact and he could make it look like a penalty to someone who wouldn't understand that process. The ref didn't see what was happening and gives the pen. Could argue Collins should know better and shouldn't give Akinde that chance to buy a pen.

From that point on you could see Cowley trying to get Lincoln to slow it down whenever there was a break in play or before a restart. They were happy to settle for the point. He got away with one really as his team were second best and he did nothing to try and change that, getting lucky with a penalty.

Thomas looked like he could be a decent signing when he came on. A bit more of a "number 9" than we've got in the squad elsewhere. A few times we played balls across the 6yard box but we didn't have a striker with that instinct of being in the right place to put it in the net.

Cook did well. Worked hard and links play up well. Better with the ball at his feet facing the opposition goal though. The problem is for him to do that it means dropping deeper and when he's the lone striker that leaves us with not enough attacking depth.

Hooper wasn't poor by any means but I do wonder whether Vernam could've given us more zest from that side going forward. Or even Cook moved out there when Thomas came on to play central.

Thought Hessenthaler showed real promise. Him and Clifton broke forward with good energy at times and ensured Cook wasn't left isolated. A real good blend in the midfield with the energy of those two complimented by Welsh sitting behind them mopping up and directing attacking moves.

Not getting carried away but plenty of good signs. Just need to be more ruthless in the final third but hoping Thomas will give us that extra something in that regard.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 60
forza ivano
August 19, 2018, 1:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Thanks Tommy learnt more from that 1.post then enyewhere else.sounds v encouraging.proud to be a mariner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 60
golfer
August 19, 2018, 9:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Thought Hooper put in a lot of hard work interchanging with our young back-they combined well and with Thomas looking a good signing the future looks a sight more rosy -well played Woolford-man of match
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 60
jonnyboy82
August 19, 2018, 1:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Imo although hooper did get back yesterday to help out him not too convinced he is what we need out wide.

He stands in the same position alot as yesterday he didnt seem to know if to run behind or stay for the ball and although there is no doubt he has improved i dont think its enough for him to be our guy on the left.

I give him credit for improving his game but we can do better in that position.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 60
Mighty_Mariner
August 19, 2018, 3:56pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Imo although hooper did get back yesterday to help out him not too convinced he is what we need out wide.

He stands in the same position alot as yesterday he didnt seem to know if to run behind or stay for the ball and although there is no doubt he has improved i dont think its enough for him to be our guy on the left.

I give him credit for improving his game but we can do better in that position.

I agree!

He's undoubtedly improved since the start/middle third if last season but for me if we really what to challenge at the top end of the league we need better in that position.

JJ is an honest player who tries but I often watch him and as you say Johnny it looks like he doesn't know whether to stay or go, he's not overly fast or skillful and could probably utilise his strength and height more than he does.

For me he's a good option coming off the bench but I'd like to see a front 3 of....

Woolford___________________________Cook
                                Thomas

Having Vernham and Hooper are great options coming off the bench.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 60
dapperz fun pub
August 19, 2018, 4:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from oldun
I noticed Whitehouse was in the stands sending signal the bench about what formation and tactic changes Lincoln were going to make. Good on him. He is one of ours.

Like that like that a lot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 60
promotion plaice
August 19, 2018, 4:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Here's a balanced view on the game from The Stacey West......the writer was conveniently at his annual family party     enjoy...

https://staceywest.net/2018/08/19/derby-day-deadlock-grimsby-town-1-1-imps/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 60
RoboCod
August 19, 2018, 4:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from promotion plaice

Here's a balanced view on the game from The Stacey West......the writer was conveniently on his annual family party     enjoy...

https://staceywest.net/2018/08/19/derby-day-deadlock-grimsby-town-1-1-imps/

It gets off to a good start.. whereas up the A46 you’d think they had won the league.

But then...

a draw at Grimsby isn’t a bad result for us and they shouldn’t be shocked at getting a point because from what I’ve seen and heard, they’re a decent outfit who are only a couple of players away from a proper play off push.

Clearly not written by ScotImp (who's currently under sedation) but by jove you've cracked it Lincoln, from now on ALWAYS go to a family party on derby day, it gives your match report a real ring of truth

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 60
diehardmariner
August 20, 2018, 3:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
After that performance, there can't be any doubt that our best midfield combination is the one that started.

I think Rose has improved under Jolley and I value the attributes he brings, but Welsh, Clifton and Hessenthaler is the perfect combination of grit, energy, technical ability and ability to press.  

Once Clifton went off I thought we lost our way a little, it also meant Woolford had less of an impact from the role he was excelling in down the right flank.  

Felt a bit like a defeat to only draw after battering them for so long but it comes back to the old thing of taking your chances.  Thought Wes Thomas looked very useful when he came on, maybe felt the subs could have been made a little earlier but perhaps a little picky as no-one really deserved to be subbed - just felt fresh legs would have helped.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 60
hheh2
August 20, 2018, 3:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from diehardmariner
After that performance, there can't be any doubt that our best midfield combination is the one that started.

I think Rose has improved under Jolley and I value the attributes he brings, but Welsh, Clifton and Hessenthaler is the perfect combination of grit, energy, technical ability and ability to press.  

Once Clifton went off I thought we lost our way a little, it also meant Woolford had less of an impact from the role he was excelling in down the right flank.  

Felt a bit like a defeat to only draw after battering them for so long but it comes back to the old thing of taking your chances.  Thought Wes Thomas looked very useful when he came on, maybe felt the subs could have been made a little earlier but perhaps a little picky as no-one really deserved to be subbed - just felt fresh legs would have helped.

I believe the fact the Clifton is a Grimsby lad gives he more impetus when he plays, probably the same reason why Crewe were very successful a few years back with lots of local talent.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.