Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 285 Guests

Lee Angol

This thread currently has 42,801 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerMal
August 6, 2018, 11:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted Text
Re: bids for Rose and Angol
Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:46 am

Angol ,Saying on radio that he is going to Grimsby

From the Mansfield forum this morning.

Although it looks like it says Angol has said he is coming, I think it was more a radio report.

Could it still be on?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 195
Kris2
August 6, 2018, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from marinerdazza

I see Sam Jones isn't getting a look in at Shrewsbury now. Not that I'm suggesting he'd ever come back here, but we're crying out for a player with that ability now. Or has he gone to Ipswich too?

He'll never come back here after being forced out the club to pinch pennies.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 195
dicko995
August 6, 2018, 11:27am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
yep, read that too Mal, it was the radio saying it. Decision expected today or tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 195
marinerdazza
August 6, 2018, 11:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Kris2

He'll never come back here after being forced out the club to pinch pennies.

No of course not. I'm just lamenting that we had a player like that and messed it up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 195
headingly_mariner
August 6, 2018, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

how was it a gift, he bought shares in the club to bridge the operating loss of 2.1 mil last year and all previous years, The club have a shares to the value of over 12 mil which I would presume are mostly to one man. EcoTricity also made a massive loss last year as well so I am not sure I would want my club being propped up in this way,

Yeah it’s probably better to have someone who saddles the club with loads of debt to themselves, divides the fans and has the club underachieving every year. I’d much rather flirt with going out of the league than show any ambition to be decent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 195
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 6, 2018, 12:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Yeah it’s probably better to have someone who saddles the club with loads of debt to themselves, divides the fans and has the club underachieving every year. I’d much rather flirt with going out of the league than show any ambition to be decent.

I think loans or shares are as bad as each other to be fair,  Showing Ambition as you put it means throwing money in to players that may or may not perform and has no guarantee for success.
loading the club with shares does not make it safer or more desirable for someone to take over.
How do you know the club has not given the manager a competitive budget or do you know something we dont.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 195
Bigdog
August 6, 2018, 12:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

how was it a gift, he bought shares in the club to bridge the operating loss of 2.1 mil last year and all previous years, The club have a shares to the value of over 12 mil which I would presume are mostly to one man. EcoTricity also made a massive loss last year as well so I am not sure I would want my club being propped up in this way,

Of course it's a gift of sorts.

Risk-free to the club, Vince has given the money for operating purposes by purchasing shares. He knows it's a bottomless pit he's throwing his money into as FGR as a club is worth nowhere near £12m. If he put it up for sale he'd get nowhere near that valuation. What would be better for FGR? Him putting the money in as loans, so as it stands the club or any other potential takeover investor would have to pay him an enormously overpriced £12m back in loans before even investing in the club? He's taking responsibility for his own decisions and investment by buying shares and not saddling the club with a £12m millstone.

I wish someone closer to home would take as great a benevolent responsibility for their own actions as he has, but no, saddling GTFC with a £2m debt has given them the privilege of spending nigh on £50m of the club's income over the past two decades without the threat of any financial penalty to themselves..

Vince's approach is more honourable, far safer and progressive for a football club than the one we've got here. Share prices go up and down on valuation. Loans? Well their value remains static under good stewardship or bad..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 195
headingly_mariner
August 6, 2018, 12:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113

I think loans or shares are as bad as each other to be fair,  Showing Ambition as you put it means throwing money in to players that may or may not perform and has no guarantee for success.
loading the club with shares does not make it safer or more desirable for someone to take over.
How do you know the club has not given the manager a competitive budget or do you know something we dont.

They are a village club playing at their highest ever level. They’ve got one of the better squads in the division and they’ll be getting a new ground.

Having a large debt to the major shareholder is crippling.

Our squad is thin and thin on quality. If we’ve had a competetive budget then Jolley is not the messiah. I would suggest our budget won’t be top half of the division.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 195
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 6, 2018, 1:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Bigdog

Of course it's a gift of sorts.

Risk-free to the club, Vince has given the money for operating purposes by purchasing shares. He knows it's a bottomless pit he's throwing his money into as FGR as a club is worth nowhere near £12m. If he put it up for sale he'd get nowhere near that valuation. What would be better for FGR? Him putting the money in as loans, so as it stands the club or any other potential takeover investor would have to pay him an enormously overpriced £12m back in loans before even investing in the club? He's taking responsibility for his own decisions and investment by buying shares and not saddling the club with a £12m millstone.

I wish someone closer to home would take as great a benevolent responsibility for their own actions as he has, but no, saddling GTFC with a £2m debt has given them the privilege of spending nigh on £50m of the club's income over the past two decades without the threat of any financial penalty to themselves..

Vince's approach is more honourable, far safer and progressive for a football club than the one we've got here. Share prices go up and down on valuation. Loans? Well their value remains static under good stewardship or bad..

so running at a 2 mil loss each year is ok, if he pops his clogs then they most probably go bust.
Some on here call for our club to live within its means which in reality is mid table budget then when the mood changes demand we  throw money at it,

I personally will give it 10 games before I decide we have a good or bad team and not base all my opinion of the opening game of the season

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 195
Bigdog
August 6, 2018, 1:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

so running at a 2 mil loss each year is ok, if he pops his clogs then they most probably go bust.
Some on here call for our club to live within its means which in reality is mid table budget then when the mood changes demand we  throw money at it,

I personally will give it 10 games before I decide we have a good or bad team and not base all my opinion of the opening game of the season

They won't go bust, that's not how it works. Without him putting money in they'd have to cut their cloth accordingly if he hasn't made provisions. If he "pops his clogs" in a few years time, he'll probably leave them with a new stadium, a league or two higher, playing in front of crowds four or five times higher than when he took over and whatever money he put in in shares left to a current market valuation and absolutely no debt to the club. Wouldn't be a bad achievement to be honest.

If someone out there wanted to pile money of their own personal wealth into shares to make us a much more progressive and exciting club, that would be great wouldn't it? You know, someone who had the courage of their own conviction by gambling their own money on the market value of the club rather than saddling it with debt? I don't get the method in your thinking. How our club is set up financially is an anomaly when compared to the norm, and it certainly isn't healthy for the club and only benefits and secures one man's dream for as long as he wishes for f all investment. Far too much parochial and narrow minded thinking on this subject and too many local "scary" urban myths built up over time. Another pre-season passes by without any external investment or news on a new stadium.

FWIW - I personally haven't decided we've got a bad team after one game either. Saturday was definitely an unsettling performance. I think we need a couple of signings at least in key areas and a shuffle around in personnel that's all. I really like Welsh, Hessenthaler, Rose and Vernam in and around the engine room. Less confident about our wide positions, the central defensive mix and a lack of firepower up front though..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 195
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.