Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 328 Guests

Lee Angol

This thread currently has 42,653 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
August 6, 2018, 10:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I really give up on people not understanding how a playing budget is carved up or where it comes from. If we bid £100k for a player it would either come out of the playing budget or income from transfers. There's absolutely no step forward from last year when Bogle money paid for some of Bignot's signings. Even not taking into account the Dembele money, it's absurd to think the club are somehow trying new methods, chucking cash around or introducing new money. If we're going to cut the playing squad down by six players at an average of £50k each per annum it obviously frees up £300k to invest in either higher wages per player, fees for players or a mixture of both without increasing the budget from last season. I know we scramble around desperately and benevolently looking for positives about the running of the club,but like Ska Face said, JF is spending our money not his, and Jolley will be making the decisions in how to carve up a set budget anyway..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 195
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2018, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,880
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Interesting to read lots of posts about us/JF being tight etc... some are no doubt fair others not but the fact that we’re apparently bidding 6 figure sums for a player would suggest people at the club are trying to move things forward.

So we've got a six figure sum for Dembele and reduced the playing staff by 6 - that must free up between 300-400k of an already set budget?
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 195
Bigdog
August 6, 2018, 10:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from realist
Six figures £100,000. Absolutely nothing for a player nowadays

£100k is less than 4% of our annual turnover or less than 9% of transfer fees we've received in the past eighteen months, so in the grand scheme of things Realist is correct, it's nothing for a League Two club to pay for a (hopefully) 20+ goal a season striker. Hardly an amount for anyone to start wetting their knickers about..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 195
Grantley
August 6, 2018, 10:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Doesn’t everyone know that we have a transfers pot and a wages pot?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 195
GrimRob
August 6, 2018, 11:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
It's all very well saying a player costs £100K but that's before you pay him, it's just a transaction between the two clubs. Then there will be an agent's fee, his signing on fee, and his wages for the 2-3 year deal you offer him! The total cost of one player could be 5 or more times the "fee".

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 84 - 195
ginnywings
August 6, 2018, 11:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
An extra 250 fans a game over the season covers £100,000 outlay. How do you get more fans through the gate?

Better players, playing better football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 195
MarinerRob
August 6, 2018, 11:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
And as soon as there is a losing run these 'fans' desert in droves. It sounds good in practice but business is never that clear cut.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 195
ginnywings
August 6, 2018, 11:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from MarinerRob
And as soon as there is a losing run these 'fans' desert in droves. It sounds good in practice but business is never that clear cut.

Alright then, let's just carry on being mediocre. That's working great.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 195
AndyDarloFC
August 7, 2018, 1:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Heard Angol is subject of a bid from Sallford.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 88 - 195
Bigdog
August 7, 2018, 6:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Alright then, let's just carry on being mediocre. That's working great.

This excellent one line post really hit home last night. I'm in my early fifties now, and thinking back, I was in my early to mid thirties when I was last proud of the club as a whole. I've been proud of OP and I've been proud of the solidarity of our fans in non-league and our away support and I felt a huge amount of relief when we beat FGR at Wembley, but I've never been proud or excited about the club I support over the past twenty years. Now I might seem critical of how the club is being run but I just can't see anything significantly changing until I pop my clogs and that's really depressing. This mediocrity is becoming relentless and I can just see us carrying on being mediocre for as far into the future as I dare see. No new investment, same budget as last year then. No new board members, same ideas as last year then. And the year before that and the year before that. I'll punch the air when we score, I'll be peed off when we lose, but these past twenty years of mediocrity have taken their toll on me. It's like my inner joy of being a Town fan is becoming an inner duty. In my first thirty years of being a Town fan, I watched the McMenemy team, the Newman team, the Kerr team and I had the Buckley years each bookended by poor spells but good times were always round the corner. In what's becoming a not too dissimilar length of time, all I've watched is pretty much dross on the whole. So when our owner makes no apologies for how he runs my club after the worst season in my living memory, I can just see the writing on the wall for me following my club for the rest of my life. I can understand fans below the age of 25-30 wondering what I'm going on about as they've seen nothing other than different levels of dross in front of 4-5k fans at BP and I can understand them hunting around for slivers of hope, but something significant has got to change soon hasn't it? I know in football there's winners and losers and there's the haves and the have nots, but we've become a club that's a perennial loser and what's looking like a have not for eternity, or at least my eternity anyway. There'll always be winners and losers, but there's becoming fewer and fewer have nots as clubs find investment build new stadiums and infrastructure and progress. So I do get angry and frustrated with how the club's run and it's being run in so much of a small time way that a director proudly boasted of installing Sky TV for the players at Cheapside. My heart bleeds for me and it bleeds for our fans but I can't for the life of me get my head round how so many are so accepting of our fate. I've decided to stop posting about how our club is run, because it's going to be a waste of my time over the years I've got left on this planet. Think I'm going to have to quietly switch on my I-Follow each week, support the boys from afar and being realistic just let go of my hopes and dreams for GTFC in the future..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 195
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.