Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 336 Guests

Lee Angol

This thread currently has 42,802 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
August 7, 2018, 12:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26

God which part do you live in ?! Do you think we conduct the deal in Freeman Street? A pro footballer can afford to buy or rent a fantastic house in any of the brilliant areas of the town or just outside.

Oh i live on west marsh. although to get to the ground it is still required to travel through some shitty looking parts, cant set a good image.

Not sure how much average league 2 footballers get tbh but i wouldnt imagine it being easy getting a mortgage living on 1 year contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 195
lew chaterleys lover
August 7, 2018, 12:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from monkeyboy
Maybe its because the town is a excrement hole?
Im town through and through but any player comes to this town for a look round would surely panic.

I have lived in various places around England and seen some pretty rough areas but good old GY is still up there with the worst, the town still hasnt let its fishing past go and is in the doldrums.

As opposed to Mansfield which is like Monte Carlo when the sun is shining. Ah but of course it is near a "big city" like Sheffield so that isn't a problem. If I have heard this argument once I have heard it a thousand times. Some players will come for various reasons, some won't. The same as at Bury or Oldham or Scunthorpe or any other English town.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 195
realist
August 7, 2018, 12:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from rancido
The problem at GTFC, and to a certain degree NE Lincs as a whole, is that it is stuck in a loop.
The area hasn't re-invented itself after the demise of the fishing industry with very few emerging industries capable of employing the vast numbers that were redundant after fishing collapsed. Even the chemical plants on the Humber Bank have been depleted with the likes of Norsk-Hydro, ICI ammonia plant, Doverstrand, Courtaulds and Titans just becoming a distant memory. As a consequence the whole area has a vast majority of people on probably less than average national wage and ,apart from the wind turbine industry, very few new developments in the realistic pipeline.

Then we have GTFC. Blundell Park is a relic of a bygone age and really isn't fit for purpose as regards what is required of a modern football ground. The club doesn't have the money to re-locate and the local council seem reluctant to add any real assistance to expedite this. As well as affecting those that go to BP as supporters I'm fairly sure that the facilities don't impress all prospective players as well. The whole area can seem quite depressing to outsiders although we locals know that there are some beautiful areas within a 30 minute drive from the ground/training facilities. We don't have a wealthy benefactor to " prop " the club up and have to depend purely on gates, commercial income and transfer fees. There are very few non-football based income streams , which is very much down to the limitations of BP. But we can't move from BP to alleviate it's problems because we haven't the money or benefactor. A lot of fans seem to have either forgotten or weren't aware that when the idea of a new ground was first mentioned it came about because the Board at that time wanted to develop BP. They approached the council of they day and they explicitly said that they would rather the club moved ground and that they , as an authority, would do all they could to assist the club in moving.
Now , as we all know, very little assistance has come from successive councils and in the meantime we are stuck in a ground that is slowly deteriorating and holding us back in so many ways. If we try to improve BP then you are talking about major investment which surely would be better spent on a new ground with 21st century facilities. I wonder how much longer it is before the Main Stand is deemed " unsafe " because of its all wooden structure ( apart from the fact that it is a fire risk and I would imagine the insurance is not cheap. I understand that the floodlights are under threat of being condemned so there would be another huge cost although I'm sure we could get some kind of grant from the FL.We are stuck in a loop and there seems no way out.

What a load of balderdash. The council has spent more money than it should with regards to helping find an unsuitable site. Then it agrees to sell the site at a really knock down price to help the club to the detriment of all the residents on the borough.
The club would only have to make a very small investment in bp to make matchday a far better experience. Those that aren't prepared to help themselves dont deserve public money
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 195
MarinerMal
August 7, 2018, 12:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Oh my, all that preseason optimism soon dissipated didn't it

One defeat, a striker who turns us down and it's the end of the world!

We've only played our opening game so far!

I suspect we are still in for some dark days in the coming weeks but things will get better as the season progresses and the squad settles, I'm sure of it.

I still say we'll be comfortably mid table. That would still be progress on last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 195
ginnywings
August 7, 2018, 2:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MarinerMal
Oh my, all that preseason optimism soon dissipated didn't  

One defeat, a striker who turns us down and it's the end of the world!

We've only played our opening game so far!

I suspect we are still in for some dark days in the coming weeks but things will get better as the season progresses and the squad settles, I'm sure of it.

I still say we'll be comfortably mid table. That would still be progress on last season.

And that glorious day is perpetually some time in the future. It never does get better does it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 195
MuddyWaters
August 7, 2018, 2:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,236
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

And that glorious day is perpetually some time in the future. It never does get better does it?

No it doesn’t Ginny but I think, like many, you don’t expect it to. I would like to think that one day GTFC will somehow exceed our expectations again but, sadly I’ve got used to ongoing mediocrity. Thanks to MJ, we were spared another relegation but , unless something changes dramatically, we’ve got what we’ve got
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 195
MarinerMal
August 7, 2018, 2:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from ginnywings

Well, I'm kind of hoping it gets better than a 4-1 home defeat to FGR, however, that may not be setting the bar very high  

The old glory days of the 80's/90's may be beyond us in our current guise but we can still compete in this league and given a fair wind maybe even achieve a promotion to the League above.

That will not be this season obviously but I'm not willing to give up on our season yet after one very poor game. There is another 45 to go. I still feel a mid table finish is where we'll likley end up

There are many ups and downs to go yet, football has always been that way, you've just forgotten how to enjoy the ride.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 195
AdamHaddock
August 7, 2018, 3:13pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
I wonder what options are available to Jolley now, other that loaning an untested youngster from a premiership/championship club.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 195
Cloudy
August 7, 2018, 3:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Considering you posted the words 'utter garbage' on social media on Saturday afternoon......

Still wAiting for your evidence Old Codger. Come on, you cannot make accusations about a fellow fan without being to back it up
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 195
Father Christmas
August 7, 2018, 3:17pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
Quoted from Cloudy

Still wAiting for your evidence Old Codger. Come on, you cannot make accusations about a fellow fan without being to back it up

I saw it too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 195
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.