Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 198 Guests

Lee Angol

This thread currently has 42,779 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 6, 2018, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
I think that Rushden & Diamonds were probably the last league (or former-league) club to go pop when their wealthy benefactor lost interest. Unless I'm missing another out, that is.

Oh, Gretna went bust some years ago as well when their wealthy owner passed away.

The problem with a sugar-daddy is when they lose interest/go bankrupt/depart this mortal coil.

It's an unhealthy thing for a club to be reliant on a wealthy benefactor on an ego trip and Fenty, for all his flaws, hasn't racked up an enormous debt in comparison to many other clubs.

It's a pity that so many clubs are now bankrolled by wealthy benefactors (I understand it is really bad in the Conference this season) as it will lead to many tiny clubs having a false position at the expense of those traditionally better-supported ones. FGR are just the most extreme example of these - there is no way they will develop into a 'proper' League club, no matter how much money is bunged their way, because Nailsworth is fundamentally nothing more than a village!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 195
pen penfras
August 6, 2018, 1:23pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

Vince's approach is more honourable, far safer and progressive for a football club than the one we've got here. Share prices go up and down on valuation. Loans? Well their value remains static under good stewardship or bad..

In what way is his approach more honourable or safer? If he walks away, the club goes bankrupt. The only way that is avoided is if somebody is equally as rich and equally willing to throw money into somebody else's self branded club. Then when they're reformed and playing in the Southern League along with Rushden and Diamonds, I'm sure the fans will think how safe and honourable Dale Vince was when running the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 195
August 6, 2018, 1:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from MarinerMal

From the Mansfield forum this morning.

Although it looks like it says Angol has said he is coming, I think it was more a radio report.

Could it still be on?

Who knows, but the transfer deadline is only 3 days away, so if he wants a wage.........

Reply: 62 - 195
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 6, 2018, 1:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Bigdog

They won't go bust, that's not how it works. Without him putting money in they'd have to cut their cloth accordingly if he hasn't made provisions. If he "pops his clogs" in a few years time, he'll probably leave them with a new stadium, a league or two higher, playing in front of crowds four or five times higher than when he took over and whatever money he put in in shares left to a current market valuation. Wouldn't be a bad achievement to be honest.

FWIW - I personally haven't decided we've got a bad team after one game either. Saturday was definitely an unsettling performance. I think we need a couple of signings at least in key areas and a shuffle around in personnel that's all. I really like Welsh, Hessenthaler, Rose and Vernam in and around the engine room. Less confident about our wide positions, the central defensive mix and a lack of firepower up front though..

Gambling that one man will fill a gap in funding each year to me is not a sensible way to run a football club and that goes for us too, The attendances FG get are not much better now than they was 2 or 3 years ago and there is no evidence it will be in the future.
Look at Gretna Green as an example they had a rich chairman who pumped loads in then died, The club within 12 months was out of business as they could not meet their current commitments.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 195
Bigdog
August 6, 2018, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

In what way is his approach more honourable or safer? If he walks away, the club goes bankrupt. The only way that is avoided is if somebody is equally as rich and equally willing to throw money into somebody else's self branded club. Then when they're reformed and playing in the Southern League along with Rushden and Diamonds, I'm sure the fans will think how safe and honourable Dale Vince was when running the club.

You want to use a far fetched scenario where DV walks away. They would not necessarily go bust. They could operate within their means instead which would be a club operating on 3k gates and no one has to pay his shares off.

Flipping around a made up argument if I have to. What if JF suddenly demands his £2m back? That would bankrupt us then?

Tens and tens of clubs have had money successfully invested into them and built infrastructures that are sustainable at higher levels of the pyramid than they were, yet people want to point out a couple of mad men at Gretna and Rushden and Diamonds as the norm. Too parochial, too scared of their own shadow and far too accepting of GTFC rolling around in perennial pig shite.

The narrow-mindedness and acceptance of our non-progressive state of affairs off the pitch is breathtaking. Any new potential investor instantly thought of as some kind of bogey man to be feared when we've got our own unapologetic incumbent achieving sod all and holding us to ransom.

Everyone love hanging around the Conference or lower echelons of the Football League for decades on end?

Far too used to being fed on scraps and tiny crumbs of comfort..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 195
Badger57
August 6, 2018, 4:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Has he officially not signed then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 195
Badger57
August 6, 2018, 4:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Or I should have said, Is it official that he's not signing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 195
Abdul19
August 6, 2018, 4:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from 123614

Who knows, but the transfer deadline is only 3 days away, so if he wants a wage.........

He's got a wage though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 195
Northbank Mariner
August 6, 2018, 4:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Been keeping an eye on "stagsnest" the Mansfield forum all day and apart from one radio station claiming he's signed for us it's all gone quiet on the Amgol front..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 195
Marinerdan
August 6, 2018, 5:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +969
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Bigdog

They won't go bust, that's not how it works. Without him putting money in they'd have to cut their cloth accordingly if he hasn't made provisions. If he "pops his clogs" in a few years time, he'll probably leave them with a new stadium, a league or two higher, playing in front of crowds four or five times higher than when he took over and whatever money he put in in shares left to a current market valuation and absolutely no debt to the club. Wouldn't be a bad achievement to be honest.

If someone out there wanted to pile money of their own personal wealth into shares to make us a much more progressive and exciting club, that would be great wouldn't it? You know, someone who had the courage of their own conviction by gambling their own money on the market value of the club rather than saddling it with debt? I don't get the method in your thinking. How our club is set up financially is an anomaly when compared to the norm, and it certainly isn't healthy for the club and only benefits and secures one man's dream for as long as he wishes for f all investment. Far too much parochial and narrow minded thinking on this subject and too many local "scary" urban myths built up over time. Another pre-season passes by without any external investment or news on a new stadium.

FWIW - I personally haven't decided we've got a bad team after one game either. Saturday was definitely an unsettling performance. I think we need a couple of signings at least in key areas and a shuffle around in personnel that's all. I really like Welsh, Hessenthaler, Rose and Vernam in and around the engine room. Less confident about our wide positions, the central defensive mix and a lack of firepower up front though..

Vince hasn’t put any of his personal wealth into Forest Green as far as I can tell. Forest Green are wholly owned by Ecotricity.

Ecotricity had a ‘exceptional’ year last year and lost £22m, they also have a new 6m overdraft, £85m in bank debt and £45m in bond debt. I’m not sure how keen the bank and bond holders will be on them chucking 2/3m a year at a football club with no fans if the business continues to lose money.

Btw on top of the shares purchased in Forest Green they’ve also managed to run up over £7m of debt.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 195
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lee Angol

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.