10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
August 5, 2018, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
After yesterday I can't really see what formation would suit this team. The team just carried on playing in pre-season fashion except they were playing against a decent team. It's all very well playing meaningless games against Clee and Brigg but what good does that do. To me everybody seemed to be playing out of position. How can we play 442 or any other formation-the new players are no better than those we got rid of-we need wingers and an out and out striker-not 10 players playing out of position trying to play to whatever yesterdays plan was. Talk about a plan B.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
August 5, 2018, 9:47am
Guest User
MJ picks his team depending on who the opposition are.  Today he totally underestimated FGRs quality and selected the wrong side. Whether it was himself  or someone else that did the homework on FGR  team this season got it badly wrong( that's if homework was done or watched last year's video) . With an expected decent crowd his best side should have been on the field today, no question.  Sadly MJ has lost a thousand plus fans today for a little bit of arrogance. I am a MJ fan and I'm sure he will get it right ,but  after today's calamity it's worrying. Yes it's the first game but so much was wrong, fingers crossed.
Reply: 81 - 98
marinerdazza
August 5, 2018, 9:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from golfer
After yesterday I can't really see what formation would suit this team. The team just carried on playing in pre-season fashion except they were playing against a decent team. It's all very well playing meaningless games against Clee and Brigg but what good does that do. To me everybody seemed to be playing out of position. How can we play 442 or any other formation-the new players are no better than those we got rid of-we need wingers and an out and out striker-not 10 players playing out of position trying to play to whatever yesterdays plan was. Talk about a plan B.

4-3-3 for me. Hooper and cook out wide. Vernam in the middle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
moosey_club
August 5, 2018, 10:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
for my tuppence worth regards the Collins O.G ....

Macca went out of his area as soon as we won the throw in, presumably dropping into that channel to receive the ball direct from the throw in from RHJ.....
RHJ threw it to Collins instead.....
at that point IMO Macca should have returned "home"
Collins hesitated with the absolute lack of movement in front of him and then committed a double sin of playing the ball without looking and playing it between the sticks...

Blaming the kit is b*ll*cks ...

Root cause of that goal was Macca being AWOL.

Whether Macca was following the game plan and was supposed to be there as a set pattern play for those scenarios or whether he was there of his own accord is for MJ to sort out.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
golfer
August 5, 2018, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from marinerdazza

4-3-3 for me. Hooper and cook out wide. Vernam in the middle.

That would definitely be an improvement on yesterday as long as they tried to play to feet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
oldun
August 5, 2018, 10:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Having seen the goals again, Macca was in completely the wrong position he was midway between the goal and the corner flag and right back on the line. He should have been between Collins and the goal, his primary job is to protect the goal and he clearly did not. Hall Johnson's backpass was a nevous panicky looking mishit effort having had planty of time. agree with other comments Macca is almost invisible in that grey outfit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
ska face
August 5, 2018, 11:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I thought their goalkeeper was an absolute clown. Coming for everything is all well and good against our abject (statue like) set pieces yesterday, but against an organised team who actually place a blocker in to stop the goalkeeper you’ll probably see him make some howlers throughout the season.

He came for everything because he could - and did - win everything. Even one where we came in over two of their defenders and Cook well past the penalty spot, he spilled it slightly but still claimed it in the scramble. What he does in some hypothetical situation in the future is irrelevant - he's clearly confident in his ability and can back it up. I thought Dean Henderson was a clown, but he could back it up. A lot of young, decent goalkeepers have that in them. Sanchez is at Brighton and looked to be playing below his level, I'm just worried that w're not going to have that quality, or even the opportunity, for the next three years.

McKeown won't stop a cross unless it's floated right on his head or there's absolutely no other option, and that's because he'll back himself to stop a shot more than than prevent it getting that far. Not what you need.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
rancido
August 5, 2018, 11:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I thought their goalkeeper was an absolute clown. Coming for everything is all well and good against our abject (statue like) set pieces yesterday, but against an organised team who actually place a blocker in to stop the goalkeeper you’ll probably see him make some howlers throughout the season.

I think their manager had identified Rose's long throw as a possible threat and as such got the keeper to deal with it. We should have placed two guys in front of him and stopped his progress but unfortunately we weren't clever enough to do that.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
GollyGTFC
August 5, 2018, 11:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from rancido

I think their manager had identified Rose's long throw as a possible threat and as such got the keeper to deal with it. We should have placed two guys in front of him and stopped his progress but unfortunately we weren't clever enough to do that.

And our corners. FGR left 2 players up against 2 defenders. The solution to that is to put another player by the taker so that FGR have to match them up 2 on 2. They aren't going to take that both of those players our of the penalty area are they? But no, we put a 3rd player back on the half way line. A 2 attackers v 3 defenders counter attack has much more potential than a 1 attacker v 2 defenders counter attack. Basics!

What is extremely worrying about yesterday is that for a team which apparently has 5 or 6 potential captains and leaders we were making very basic mistakes and weren't reacting to the game as it evolved. It was a complete shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 88 - 98
GrimExile
August 5, 2018, 12:16pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I’ve calmed down a bit now but I have to say that the second half yesterday was probably about the worst half of football that I’ve ever seen at Blundell Park in about 50 years. Jolley must take some of the blame for a bizarre team selection but equally the players must hold up their hands too, because to a man they were totally inept. The mistakes were ridiculous and the defending and marking farcical. Therefore I don’t think it would be possible to play that badly again. Therefore funnily enough I’m not too worried about the defence. They’ll bed in and I think they’ll turn out to be ok.

Playing players i.e Clifton totally out of position is also not a concern assuming that Jolley realises that and therefore  changes it. What really does concern me is I have no idea at all where the goals are going to come from. Funnily enough I don’t even blame the strikers, it was the midfield that didn’t create a single chance all afternoon for our forwards. I think Harry Kane could have played yesterday and he wouldn’t have scored if the game was twice as long as it was. Whether this problem can be solved then only time will tell. The addition of Lee Angol (if he comes) will be a good addition I feel but of course he’ll need the service. I also believe that he has a bit of a reputation regarding attitude. I can’t believe that Jolley doesn’t know about that and maybe he can get him to grow up and fulfil his potential. Again time will tell.

The Fishy is in meltdown as is to be expected, but I think we’ve got to try and stay calm and see what the situation is in 10 matches time. One thing is for sure I bet Jolley didn’t get much sleep last night and he’s got a lot of thinking to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.