10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
PB
August 5, 2018, 12:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +256
Gold Stars: 3
Yes we were so poor in all departments yesterday, but I want to remind everyone that last season I also saw us at the Ricoh getting thumped 4-0 playing just as badly....and look how things turned out in the end.
Let's learn, and move forward, not give up after one awful game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
promotion plaice
August 5, 2018, 9:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,028
Gold Stars: 194

CODalmightys view of the game.

My favourite bit......

"Minutes ticked by. Nothing was happening nowhere. Hall-Johnson lobbed to Collins, on the touchline under the Police Box, who swept the ball back to McKeown. McKeown… McKeown… where art thou? I could have sworn McKeown was in town today. We saw his car parked up and his children were mascots, surely he was here…somewhere?"

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6806

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 98
marinerdazza
August 5, 2018, 9:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,841
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from promotion plaice

CODalmightys view of the game.

My favourite bit......

"Minutes ticked by. Nothing was happening nowhere. Hall-Johnson lobbed to Collins, on the touchline under the Police Box, who swept the ball back to McKeown. McKeown… McKeown… where art thou? I could have sworn McKeown was in town today. We saw his car parked up and his children were mascots, surely he was here…somewhere?"

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=6806

Always thought Tony Butcher’s match reports were written solely for the amusement of Tony Butcher. They used to be amusing but these days I find them pretty much impenetrable. I’m sure my comments are unlikely to keep him awake at night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
promotion plaice
August 6, 2018, 9:28pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,028
Gold Stars: 194

We're not on our own, after taking the lead Hullberside saying Hull display worrying and have gifted Villa 3 goals at the KCOM tonight.....latest Hull 1-3 Villa.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
SheepGTFC
August 7, 2018, 8:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 6
Still can't get over that game. Just feel gutted about it. Can't wait for the next game so I can forget about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 98
Jarmo.Is.God
August 7, 2018, 8:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Now we've all calmed down, a few harsh realities hit home.

Clifton was awful, and Reid had a field day against him.
Dixon got instant stick, yet wasn't the worst player out there
The midfield created nothing.Hessenthaler needs to start on saturday for me.
Welsh did ok
Cook run a lot but wont score many this season.
I still feel Hooper will score 10+ goals this season, but he needs to see the ball at his feet more.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
11MARINER11
August 8, 2018, 10:42am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -55
That game , as bad as it was , might just be the making of us !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
GollyGTFC
August 12, 2018, 8:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I see the FGR goalkeeper (who I called a clown last week) cost them 2 points yesterday. Charging out of his goal like a maniac to try and win a ball he had no chance of winning and conceded a penalty for Oldham to get a late equaliser. I’d rather have McKeown on a 3-year deal.

Quoted from ska face
Their keeper today showed why you shouldn't hand out three-year deals based mainly on sentimentality. He won absolutely everything within 20 yards of his goal - throw-ins, corners, long balls, everything. Absolutely immense and a huge presence, we never even got close to causing their defence a problemm which is a worry when most of your attacking threat comes from set plays. McKeown's been here 7 years now and his command of the box has always been a problem, but for me he's shown no improvement at all in this part of his game - are we going to be stuck with this for the next three years while potentially missing out on opportunities available?

That aside, I think FGR had us sussed from minute 1 and we never showed any sign of shaking them off. Welsh marked out of the game and if we're planning to play out from the back, that position in front of the back 3/5 is crucial to the tempo and moving the ball/oppo around. He didn't get a sniff, so you're hoping for Rose or Woolford to make themselves available for the wing-backs or centre halfs but neither really seemed to want it, or at least very rarely got themselves into a position to receive it with a view to developing the play. Players didn't look comfortable with the ball at their feet, and that coupled with the lack of options meant the easy option was to clip it into the channels or onto the heads of their centre halves.

All that said, I'm not overly arsed and I think people need to calm down a bit. Obviously it's disappointing given the build up and the fact that the back of end of last season has been romanticised beyond all recognition, but all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is a bit embarassing. Are we going to make those kinds of mistakes - 25 yard own goals, free headers 7 yards out, mis-hit backpasses - every week? Of course not.

There's plenty to work on, but if you can't look at that today and laugh then fuckinell, you're taking it all too seriously.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 97 - 98
ska face
August 12, 2018, 8:43am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,610
Gold Stars: 840
Nice one mate, when’s the parade?

Meanwhile, here’s a cross from yesterday dropping about 5 yards out with McKeown glued to his line.

[img]https://s33.postimg.cc/dwgt53t67/130_DCF36-_BAE9-42_CA-9_B9_B-_E43665_EFAEF0.png[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.