10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 4, 2018, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
3-5-2 for about the first 30 seconds then swiftly into a 5-3-2 which was just ridiculous. They were playing with just one striker so we had 3 players in the middle not doing much as they swamped us in midfield and won every second ball going.

The squad we've got doesn't seem capable of 3-5-2 as, other than Hall-Johnson (who looked like a rabbit in the headlights), we've got no pace in the wide areas. Whitmore looked a bit cumbersome but will probably do better against the meaty strikers we sometimes face. Davis did OK, but no more. Welsh won a few tackles but sits so deep that there is really no point if you've got 3 at the back.

Cook worked hard and looked lively at times but with little end result as he was generally bullied by the central defenders. I think we've got the makings of a front 3 somewhere in the squad but it's not really clear yet what the combination might be.

I suppose Hessenthaler and Vernam looked a bit livelier when they came on so that is one small positive.

FGR looked a very capable and able team and it wouldn't surprise me if they were contenders for promotion but I doubt many teams will make it so ridiculously easy for them as we did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
jonnyboy82
August 4, 2018, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I knew it was gonna be a excrement day when i see paul dixon as our wing back.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 98
dapperz fun pub
August 4, 2018, 8:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
I know it’s first game but I’ve seen enough of Dixon to know I don’t want him in the team , not blaming him today for everything but I’ve seen enough of him to know he’s not good enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
August 4, 2018, 8:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Bigdog
A lot of the players looked undercooked to me. Not so much fitness wise, but football brain sharp. Some of them have got less than two games under their belt pre-season. Surprising team selection. I always thought if we had the four of Welsh, Rose, Hessenthaler and Vernam in central areas we'd be ok, so surprised to see the energy, pace and inventiveness of Vernam and Hessenthaler on the bench.

My reflections based upon one game.. I reserve the right to change my mind in games going forward if there's any improvement..

McKeown - Didn't really have much to do other than pick the ball out of the back of the net

Clifton - Poor today. Looked exactly what he is, a young lad learning his trade. Fresh legs off the bench looks a better role for him at the moment.

Dixon - Not one of our worst performers, yet didn't do too much going forward and got caught out defending once or twice. Not the answer to our left side.

Davis - Needs games, can't head the ball but looks like he can pass. More of a central of three defender covering two that attack the ball, so not sure why he played on the right.

Whitmore - A bit frantic at times, too early to make judgement.

Collins - I know he gets a lot of love on here but I watched him closely and thought he was garbage from the get go. Free headers straight to the opposition, time on the ball yet passes to the opposition. And how deep were we yet again? Nothing's changed since last season, and as Clarke has left we seem to be accommodating Collins's lack of pace.. again. Have a look at FGR's last chance of the first half. DC should have been favourite to win the ball or at the very least shepherd the forward out wide, but within ten yards the forward got his shot off. It's scary and we've got 45 more games to manage that fallibility. I'd much rather see Famewo in there with the other two and MJ drill them to death on the training ground. I know I'll get hammered for saying all that, but DC flatters to deceive and his positioning and marshalling of our defence affects our playing structure far too much.

Woolford - Meh. quietly ineffective and went missing when we didn't have the ball.

Rose - About the only starter to come out with any credit.

Welsh - Looked a bit rusty but didn't lose a single challenge. Looked better when Hessenthaler and Vernam came on.

Hooper - Not a back to the goal kind of player and looked weaker than he should be physically.

Cook - Worked hard, but in the way that a manager sends a forward on at 2-0 up to run his balls off closing defenders down to see a game out.

Out of the subs, Vernam and Hessenthaler showed strong evidence of why they should be starters.

We definitely need a forward, a left wing back and possibly strengthening at the back on this performance as well as another ball player in midfield after the evidence of this game. Hopefully it's a one-off and we'll improve after getting a kick up the arsse off an average FGR side and hopefully I'll get the chance to improve my opinions of one or two of our players.. fingers crossed. And hopefully MJ will act accordingly.. if it has to happen, a performance like this is preferable happening before the transfer window slams shut..

Pretty much the whole team showed a lack of composure on the ball. FGR did, and that was the difference. I'd rather a player get caught in possession one out of five times than give the ball away four out of five times. Just too scared to put a foot on the ball and shield it until a better pass became available.

One game doesn't make a season, but today was a proper reality check for many..

I don't disagree but the biggest thing today was that FGR, at least on this performance, have better players. I think they would have beaten any of our personnel and formation today. They were superbly drilled as well and looked fitter - just a better team all round.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
TAGG
August 4, 2018, 8:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Kin ell calm down ladies.
Yes it was shot and a total embarrassment but it's the first game of a long season.
When God first came to Town it took him a while to get his new side to gel and then look what happened 👍
Let's look at things around Xmas and see where we are then.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
TAGG
August 4, 2018, 8:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Kin ell calm down ladies.
Yes it was excrement and a total embarrassment but it's the first game of a long season.
When God first came to Town it took him a while to get his new side to gel and then look what happened 👍
Let's look at things around Xmas and see where we are then.
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
headingly_mariner
August 4, 2018, 9:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Dixon is getting a hammering and I can’t see why. He actually tried to get us playing and was decent on the ball. Collins passed one in his own net, RHJ gave another one up on a plate, Harry Clifton had a learning experience and the 3rd goal was a free header.  
People need to accept that he’s playing for us, giving him excrement in the ground and making out he’s the worst player we’ve ever had won’t make him better. He’s not the worst player we’ve had and with better players around him will be useful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
jonnyboy82
August 4, 2018, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Headingly as much as your entitled to your opinion paul dixon is absolute dog male masturbation.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
Gaffer58
August 4, 2018, 9:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Well, if I had world class players around me I could play a bit, but like Dixon still not good enough for Grimsby Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 98
TAGG
August 4, 2018, 9:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Headingly as much as your entitled to your opinion paul dixon is absolute dog male masturbation.

There was plenty of dog excrement out there today so why people are picking on Dixon is beyond me.

The whole team were that bad that Gunning looked a world beater 😵😵😵😵

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.