Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
NO DEFENCE.
NO MIDFIELD.
NO ATTACK.
Outplayed, out thought and outmuscled.

In short, WTF WAS THAT ???

Gavin Gunning was absolutely immense won every ball in the air and on the floor.

Laural and Hardy defending blame the jersey colour? FFS how lame is that?? DID COLINS EVEN LOOK? WHY WAS MACCA NEAR THE FECKNG CORNER FLAG??? Then Hall Johnson doing another bloody wonder back pass.

FFS I NEED A DRINK.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 98
Yoda
August 4, 2018, 5:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
Disgraceful performance my 21 pounds will be staying in my pocket next match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 98
oldun
August 4, 2018, 6:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Having been to the Donny game pre-season, I could see shape, movement and crisp passing. All that had gone out the window today. Let's accept that Clifton and Dixon are not wing backs. From the present squad we should have Hall-Johnson as RWB with Fox on the left. The midfield 3 should be Walsh, Rose and Hessenthaller and the front 2 should be Hooper and Vernham and strick with it..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 98
sonofmadeleymariner
August 4, 2018, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
The 532 was awful (its not 352 everytime they lined up it was a flat back 5). Clifton isn't a wing back and shouldn't be out there, get Hall-Johnson in his natural position. Dixon had no hope having no to little support having to deal with marking the winger and overlapping fullback time and time again. Static CBs ment they always had a man over somewhere and a static midfield allowed them to pass round us at will and leave the 2 strikers unsupported. Pointless Slade esq hoof balls to two strikes who were never going to win the ball. A lucky pen for our goal and commical defending for all 4 of theirs. Did I miss anything.

Please can we go back to 451/433 that we ended last season on and ended the match on today. Start Hessenthalalalalalalala in midfeild Vernam if he's fit enough and start Hall-Johnson at RB.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 98
Yoda
August 4, 2018, 6:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
Hooper and Vernam will not keep us up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 98
Mrs Doyle
August 4, 2018, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Thought FGR looked fitter, their passing was slick, fast and accurate. If we played 3.5.2 why was their huge gaps in midfield which they exploited to the full? Thier wingers and wing backs played neat fast passing and got behind our defence almost at will. Dixon and Woolford looked knackered.

Goes down as one o the worst team performances ever, never seen B.P. empty so fast after that third blundder goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 98
devs
August 4, 2018, 6:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
What disappointed me so much was the hoof ball
I thought we were better than that now - the pre season signings suggested we would have more quality
MJ said in his interview the players did not carry out the game plan - I hope that is right cos there didn't seem to be one on the pitch

The mistakes were awful but not the reason we lost - even at 1-0 up we looked second best by a long way; had that OG not happened we were getting overrun anyway and I am 100% certain FGR would have won

FGR looked a yard faster, more creative and attacked with numbers; we just hoofed the ball to strikers who are not exactly the biggest and barely retained the ball for more than 3 seconds

Hugely disappointing - can accept losing if we have a plan and you can see what we are trying to do...but this afternoon I couldn't see any shape or plan

Honeymoon period over
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 98
jimgtfc
August 4, 2018, 6:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
I can’t believe what I’ve just witnessed. A carbon copy of last seasons ineptness with a couple of monumental individual errors thrown in. All positive Jolley related thoughts have been thrown out the window, for the moment at least.

Very questionable selections, as much as Dixon was actually ok today, his lack of mobility, speed and ability on the ball limit the team with him as the sole left sided player. Unfortunately he was mirrored by Clifton on the other side. The lad is never a wing back/full back, no pace, doesn’t look like he’ll ever beat a man and his crossing was woeful. Hessenthaler offered something different when he came on and has to start at Macc. Very limited service to the front men, but the thing that stood out too me was how little movement there was off the ball. So many times a player would have the ball and have no options so ended up either giving it away, going long or backwards.

I really hope Forest Green are a really good side that will up there come May because at times they destroyed us with the ball on the ground. Worrying start but plenty of time for improvement.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 98
petethemariner
August 4, 2018, 6:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Even allowing for the calamitous errors, the thing that worried me most once again was  the total lack of creativity, no sharp passing and very little movement, i felt sorry for Cook (who i think could be a useful player) because the only 'service' he received was above his head against 6ft+ defenders, that was not what most supporters  hoped for, or expected and it was extremely disappointing.
Contract that with FGR, crisp passing, good movement and comfortable on the ball, we may have made them look world beaters, but no way will they be what i heard on RH as 'potential strugglers' judged on what i saw today they will be a top half team.
MJ  made a bizarre team selection for me, 'One of our own' isn't a wing back, neither is Dixon, what has Fox done wrong? He was excellent for us last season and is more suited to a wing back role than Dixon,
I didnt see any of the pre season friendlies, but reading this forum and reports, Hessenthaler has played well, yet he was left out of the starting line up.Very strange.
I hope that this is an eye opener for MJ and his coaching team, because many more performances like this will soon
lose the 'feel good factor' we have had since last seasons escape.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 98
Mighty_Mariner
August 4, 2018, 6:59pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters
1. Clifton is not a wing back or a full back.
2. Hall-Johnson is not a left footed footballer (why not Fox?)
3. Cook is not a striker (why not Vernam?)
4. Grey is a excrement colour for a goalie kit
5. We have just been completely outplayed by a club whose lack of fans is embarrassing.
6. How much have we got left in the piggybank?

Can't argue with any of that!

I'd love to know the thought process behind the grey keeper strip. I'm sure there's some scientific or heavily researched reason behind it but to me it just means McKeown gets lost in the sea of black and white shirts in the pony and difficult to pick out.

That's not excusing Collins though as he clearly lost all concentration in the that moment and not a mistake you'd expect someone of his experience to make! That was a pivitol goal at a pivitol time and screwed Town out of three points!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.