10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
August 5, 2018, 12:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I find it dispiriting to be starting another season with some players who proved, over the course of last season, that they weren't good enough. I was hoping that Hooper, Dixon and Woolford wouldn't be underlining that point yet again in this new era and we'd have better players representing us. You have to show faith in Jolley but I felt the team selection was bemusing and most of them look nowhere near fit enough, and, sad to say, short on desire/urgency/alertness.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 98
marinerdazza
August 5, 2018, 12:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
What ska face said.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 98
samg
August 5, 2018, 12:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Well my neck is hurting from constantly looking up for the ball - I'm £21 quid worse off - my liver is now employee of the weekend - D-Ream song springs too mind for those who can remember it - but we won a test match against India - am I the only one wanting to go to work Monday morning and just erase from 3 till 5pm Saturday from my brain or shall my liver just keep doing the job for me!! UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 98
promotion plaice
August 5, 2018, 1:49am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Just been chatting to 4-1 (Muzzy)....trouble is he always bets on Town to win 4-1  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 98
RichMariner
August 5, 2018, 7:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I didn’t go to the game so maybe my opinion isn’t as valid as those troopers who paid to watch that shambolic performance.

However...

Loved the way we ended last season - players playing in their best positions, keeping things simple, a simple formation, a bit of motivation, belief and old fashioned roll-your-sleeves-up hard work got us out of trouble.

All those principles, for some reason, seem to have disappeared over the summer based on that defeat.

I appreciate MJ will have philosophies and ideas that he’d like to implement with us but I’m clueless as to why we’ve abandoned what worked last season - and I don’t think we played as many pre-season games as we usually would to get the players completely comfortable with 3-5-2.

This will be a real test for MJ because when things like this happen, you’ll have players looking at the management team thinking: what do you know? You never even played the game at pro level.

I believe that this was just a blip but it heaps pressure on us to get a result at Macclesfield now. Plus, the opening day of the season is the worst time to put in your worst performance because it leaves fans wondering if they’ve just wasted hundreds of pounds on a season ticket sold to them with the promise that things will be different (although no one holds a gun to our head, granted).

Massively disappointing and frustrated but we’ve yet to see this result in context. Let’s hope it was an anomaly although my fear was that something like this was gonna happen. Just not felt comfortable with 3-5-2 in pre-season and we have players who are now on the back foot again. All good feeling has gone out the window.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 74 - 98
jamesgtfc
August 5, 2018, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Against Doncaster we saw the advantage of playing a right footed player left wing back with RHJ's goal but today we showed exactly why you need someone with a left foot there!

If we are sticking with this system then next week I would go:

McKeown
Davis Whitmore Famewo
RHJ Rose Welsh Hessenthaler Fox
Vernam Hooper

Angol to replace Hooper if he signs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 98
ginnywings
August 5, 2018, 8:12am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
It's not the first time i have seen a newly built side look " a bit rusty" at the onset of the season. Clearly things need to be worked on and everyone is disappointed, but the management have to find the solutions. When we have gone a dozen games and settled into the season, i'm willing to bet the starting line up will be much different to what it was yesterday. Maybe not formation wise, time will tell on that, but certainly personnel wise.

In our first season back, Exeter got off to a stinker of a start, but hit their straps after about a dozen games and went on a mad run of form. They took us apart at BP in the same manner FGR did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 98
rancido
August 5, 2018, 8:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
To be fair to MJ he did say in his interview that all that work over playing style in the previous six weeks was completely forgotten in 1 game !

Village Green looked a well drilled side and on that display will be promotion contenders come the end of the season.

Just one aspect that I noticed time and time again was how the two VGR central defenders consistently found their mid fielders when they headed clear. We , on the other hand, seemed to find either space or opposing mid-fielders. For all the stick he took on this site " Mad" Gav Gunning showed that in his natural position he is an effective defender. No frills, just clears the ball and consistently relieves the pressure and more often than not finds one of his own players.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 98
GollyGTFC
August 5, 2018, 8:44am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from ska face
Their keeper today showed why you shouldn't hand out three-year deals based mainly on sentimentality. He won absolutely everything within 20 yards of his goal - throw-ins, corners, long balls, everything. Absolutely immense and a huge presence, we never even got close to causing their defence a problemm which is a worry when most of your attacking threat comes from set plays. McKeown's been here 7 years now and his command of the box has always been a problem, but for me he's shown no improvement at all in this part of his game - are we going to be stuck with this for the next three years while potentially missing out on opportunities available?

That aside, I think FGR had us sussed from minute 1 and we never showed any sign of shaking them off. Welsh marked out of the game and if we're planning to play out from the back, that position in front of the back 3/5 is crucial to the tempo and moving the ball/oppo around. He didn't get a sniff, so you're hoping for Rose or Woolford to make themselves available for the wing-backs or centre halfs but neither really seemed to want it, or at least very rarely got themselves into a position to receive it with a view to developing the play. Players didn't look comfortable with the ball at their feet, and that coupled with the lack of options meant the easy option was to clip it into the channels or onto the heads of their centre halves.

All that said, I'm not overly arsed and I think people need to calm down a bit. Obviously it's disappointing given the build up and the fact that the back of end of last season has been romanticised beyond all recognition, but all the wailing and gnashing of teeth is a bit embarassing. Are we going to make those kinds of mistakes - 25 yard own goals, free headers 7 yards out, mis-hit backpasses - every week? Of course not.

There's plenty to work on, but if you can't look at that today and laugh then fuckinell, you're taking it all too seriously.

I thought their goalkeeper was an absolute clown. Coming for everything is all well and good against our abject (statue like) set pieces yesterday, but against an organised team who actually place a blocker in to stop the goalkeeper you’ll probably see him make some howlers throughout the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 98
Croxton
August 5, 2018, 9:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Not quite a clown but he nearly fumbled a cross into his net.
The modern fashion for 'recycling' the ball as far back as the keeper is high risk. Macca favours his right foot and possibly stood to the side of the goal to makehimself available. Convinced that if he had worn Raspberry Ripple  kit Collins would have seen him.
Don't bin Collins. He is our best defensive header and was exemplary in preseason fitness wise.
Bin the grey kit!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.